Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game so fun?

mluo3mluo3 Member Posts: 7

I just started playing this game. I am level 14. In MY OPINION, the gameplay feels really slow. i spend 80% of my time waiting for my character to attack a monster(either using skills or normal attack). I mean, i know i only seen a little bit of the game. but is there anything else that makes this game so addicting to some people? like is the PvP that great? end game PvE really that fun? is it worth the grind it to level 60? Do you see a future in this game? So these are some questions i have for this game. I mean, its sad, this generation of gaming, i think people enjoy hack and slash more than point and click Mmorpg. This game kinda seems like just another "perfect world online" but with finer graphics. But i mean, like i said, only seen a little bit of the game. Not bashing the gaming, just some questions for some experienced and older players out there.

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by mluo3

I just started playing this game. I am level 14. In MY OPINION, the gameplay feels really slow. i spend 80% of my time waiting for my character to attack a monster(either using skills or normal attack). I mean, i know i only seen a little bit of the game. but is there anything else that makes this game so addicting to some people? like is the PvP that great? end game PvE really that fun? is it worth the grind it to level 60? Do you see a future in this game? So these are some questions i have for this game. I mean, its sad, this generation of gaming, i think people enjoy hack and slash more than point and click Mmorpg. This game kinda seems like just another "perfect world online" but with finer graphics. But i mean, like i said, only seen a little bit of the game. Not bashing the gaming, just some questions for some experienced and older players out there.

Heh, and here I was about to slam your opinion about the game being fun.  Misleading title.  Anyway, I agree.  The combat kills this game for me, that and the atrocious sound effects.  Worst of any game I have ever heard.  Which is sad, because the music is really good.  I just can't stand the boiinng sound when stunned, the annoyingly loud footsteps, the horrible combat music, and so on.  Add to it extremely boring quests and long, tedious combat that doesnt' pop and flow like it should and I can't see how anyone got past these gamebreaking factors.  

I wanted to like this game, because the other features are cool, like PVP later on and housing, but it's lacking some major character feedback aspects and fun, visceral combat and original questing.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I honestly think the people that really like this game are just incredibly attached to their characters.

A side effect of having character creation that allows lolicon. (among other 'abnormalities')

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• mluo3mluo3 Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by GTwander

I honestly think the people that really like this game are just incredibly attached to their characters.

A side effect of having character creation that allows lolicon. (among other 'abnormalities')

Absolutely understand what u mean. I think just recently i was thinking, "Aion character is like a digital barbie" because people can pretty much play "doll" with the housing system and stuff and loli character creation. But like the 2nd poster, i also want to like this game. but i find it really hard to. because i am really NOT having fun. not that the game is bad, just not my style i guess. But still i would like to know if the PvP is worth it in the end?

• MadKingMadKing Member UncommonPosts: 173

I played Aion for 7 Months, being the second MMo I've ever played it left much to be desired. the combat is ok, the PvP is a joke with all the CC and class balance is nonexistent. I wanted to quit in the first month but my guild wanted me to stay so I stayed for as long as I could. until endgame sets in and it just became unbearable. running the same dailies and dungeons with it's atrocious drop rate I finally gave up and never looked back.

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172

I'm someone who finds the combat speed just fine.   I haven't leveled up to 60 yet in this game either, my highest toon is at level 50 now.   But I feel like I'm leveling faster than I want to because I've missed entire quest lines and other activities I could have done by this level.

So for me the game is so much fun because I feel llike there is so much to do!    It's a beautiful game to look at in my eyes and it allows me to feel more immersion than I do in most MMOs.  I don't play MMOs for the latest and greatest action, I want to be immersed.  Aion has a lot of depth along the way to end game.

I also played Perfect World a little a few years ago and by mid level I felt like I was doing far too much grinding and it seemed obvious the cash shop would become necessary before long, so I quit Perfect World at that point.   Aion in comparison is far more fun to play.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

sounds like u have no clue about playin your class..which one are u playin?

• Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by khartokhar3

sounds like u have no clue about playin your class..which one are u playin?

Exactly... maybe you misse something. It's normal having an opinion, so that's yours.

• AlexlongwellAlexlongwell Member UncommonPosts: 23

What the gameplay is Slow at lvl 14 with only like 3-4 skills!!!!!! No way. Wow this game sounds like suck.

Really though, been playing since launch, I want to say give it a chance (meaning higher lvl than you can get in under an hour of gameplay), but to be honest we dont need anymore whiney carebear who want everything handed to them (thats just how you come off posting about a game when your barely out of the starter zone). The lvl grind is better but i liked it the way it was before, the gear grind is somewhat better (except pvp gear). Watch some pvp vids and tell me the combat is slow.

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712
    Originally posted by alexl22

What the gameplay is Slow at lvl 14 with only like 3-4 skills!!!!!! No way. Wow this game sounds like suck.

Really though, been playing since launch, I want to say give it a chance (meaning higher lvl than you can get in under an hour of gameplay), but to be honest we dont need anymore whiney carebear who want everything handed to them (thats just how you come off posting about a game when your barely out of the starter zone). The lvl grind is better but i liked it the way it was before, the gear grind is somewhat better (except pvp gear). Watch some pvp vids and tell me the combat is slow.

i played for awhile since launch and after i played the templar and yes it is exteremly slow especially when by yourself i have equated the templar to akin of killing a bear with a butter knife you can but it will take a long time and pvp well last i saw pvp was a joke every fortress taken over in mins by the other side (depending on your choice of side) in general pvp never worked as there was no coordination  and never enough backup so most of the time noone even bothers with them

which in genral means higher cost for everyone on that side and the other side getting a massive boost and cut in costs

its no wonder they went free to play

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I actually like arounf 75% of Aion... it's just ruined by too many broken systems and a nasty assed community.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Vesavius

I actually like arounf 75% of Aion... it's just ruined by too many broken systems and a nasty assed community.

What broken systems?  Also, what server are you on and what faction, because from what i heard community differs from server to server, and differs from faction to faction on each server.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• mluo3mluo3 Member Posts: 7

Sorry for the late reply, but i play Gladiator. I also had a templar, but i feel that glads was a bit more faster at killing stuff. I guess the people that said that i have 3-4 skills is true. I guess thats why  it feel slow. And i did watch pvp videos, looks meh~ some people sometimes speed up the gameplay on their video, so i dont really have an opinion on that. and no not a carebear that wants everything handed to me. Ill probably play a little bit more and if it still feels slow, then i guess Aion jsut isnt my game. 

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91

Yeah I kinda had the same issue with combat being crazy boring early on.  It wouldn't be so bad if the game had more exploration or creativity but it seemed like every single quest was "Kill x of mob y" so I was just running around a small area fighting all the time.  I was playing a Cleric so maybe that contributed.  It seemed like every one of my abilities had a long cooldown so I would start a fight, use my abilties, and then just stand there watching my character auto-attack while I waited for my abilities to come active again.  I made it to level 22 and then one day I logged out and just never felt the urge to log back in again.  

Sorry for the late reply, but i play Gladiator. I also had a templar, but i feel that glads was a bit more faster at killing stuff. I guess the people that said that i have 3-4 skills is true. I guess thats why  it feel slow. And i did watch pvp videos, looks meh~ some people sometimes speed up the gameplay on their video, so i dont really have an opinion on that. and no not a carebear that wants everything handed to me. Ill probably play a little bit more and if it still feels slow, then i guess Aion jsut isnt my game. 

playin tanks in almost every mmo is kinda pain. but since u are playin a gladi u shouldnt have much problems. this class is a tank with high dmg. its important to get a weapon, that fits your lvl and lvl it to +10. a green weapon would be more than enough and its very easy to lvl. just break the gear drops to get enchantment stones. u actually wont need to buy anything from the broker. and socket your gear with crit stones. playin gladi myself atm..its lvl 21 and damn fun. and on high lvls its maybe the most fun class to play.

Originally posted by Harttz

Yeah I kinda had the same issue with combat being crazy boring early on.  It wouldn't be so bad if the game had more exploration or creativity but it seemed like every single quest was "Kill x of mob y" so I was just running around a small area fighting all the time.  I was playing a Cleric so maybe that contributed.  It seemed like every one of my abilities had a long cooldown so I would start a fight, use my abilties, and then just stand there watching my character auto-attack while I waited for my abilities to come active again.  I made it to level 22 and then one day I logged out and just never felt the urge to log back in again.  

also to u the same advice i wrote above. get a green weapon that fits your lvl and lvl it to +10. but u should socket magic boost stones. u will see your enemies will go down in no time. and anyways cleric is the best soloing class. u can kill amost everthing solo..even elite mobs. and ofc u will never have problems to find groups for dungeons.

• ZillenZillen Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by Lord_Athon
    Originally posted by khartokhar3 sounds like u have no clue about playin your class..which one are u playin?
    Exactly... maybe you misse something. It's normal having an opinion, so that's yours.

Yo, where'd you get your awesome signature? :D

I'm really sick of the whole "There's a massive fanbase for X", or "Y would be a WoW-killer if it just had a chance".

There is no massive conspiracy waiting in the MMO playerbase.

There are no "sleeper-agent fans" waiting to convert once the X or Y is unleashed on the world.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024
    Originally posted by GTwander

Absolutely understand what u mean. I think just recently i was thinking, "Aion character is like a digital barbie" because people can pretty much play "doll" with the housing system and stuff and loli character creation. But like the 2nd poster, i also want to like this game. but i find it really hard to. because i am really NOT having fun. not that the game is bad, just not my style i guess. But still i would like to know if the PvP is worth it in the end?

This is true ^^

PvP end game is fun, but it gets old like everything, dredg instances 3 times a day,  zergs, transforms are broken, and still has class imbalances, but I still seem to have fun every now and then. 

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

I decided to buy the game in 2011 when Aion announced Truly Free/ player housing. It's not the greatest  housing system but it is tolorable and better than no player housing games. (I value and treasure my mansion)

My only issue with Aion as a game is it's support system. When they announced Truly free to play, they also promised to implement  systems  that would discourage  bots/rmt , goldsellers activities.  They ended up adding a few lines of warnings that was meaningless. Goldsellers are still rampant thruout the game.

Blocking gold sellers becomes a chore.  Aion limits your blocklist,  (I don't know the max block allowed) and I have reached their limit.  So everytime I log on and block a gold spammer, I need to unblock another. 

If NCsoft can't  actually support their promises of curbing players using illegal programs (bots) then they should at the very minimum have a support system that is able to respond. Reporting goldsellers/ harvesting bots consists of you making a report, having a GM respond hours later stating that they have forward your concerns and  you will will be contacted in 48 hrs  or whatever time frame. During this time, BOTs are harvesting, Goldsellers are spamming. Most players are aware of this lack of support so they don't even waste their time to report bots/goldsellers.

Overall Aion is a great game, the mob spawn is a little too fast for me to enjoy the game, but that is not a major detraction.

Aion is a great F2P game. Their matrix /business model is excellent. Support is lacking.

My 2 cents

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I don't really consider this game to be "fun" as such, but it's still the only game that I am playing atm.

For me at least, fun is going really fast. Fun is making a huge explosion. Fun is performing crazy stunts.

This game isn't fun, and really, I don't think any MMO is designed around fun (GW2 is trying to be better at fun, but that remains to be proven)

This game has cool armor, and the rewards for the efforts required can be quick visually appealing. So thats my carrot. Some people enjoy the PvP, but I don't think the PvP excels beyond that of other mmo's (at least not by any great extent) Storyline is moderate, controls are fairly good, and in general the PvE portion of the game is easily good enough. 

I have found the assassin to be a more tedious class to play, while the spiritmaster is exceptionally easy.  I can create a macro to play out the average fight to it's entirety, letting me press one button then just loot the corpse once the fight is finished.  Thats probably a factor on why I don't feel it's fun, but like I've already said, I don't play the game for the fun, I play it for the visuals, and the vast array of different loot to make my character look as unique as possible.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

I really enjoy Aion apart from the above mentioned issues in my previous posts. The aspect of the game I enjoy is the Auction House. I have stated that I do all my PVP in the AH:)

Aion has a great economy reguardless of the goldsellers. I am  basically  a day  trader in Aion and enjoy this meta gaming aspect.

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Combat gets a lot faster when you're max level with max attack speed boosts:

Here's a 3.0 PvP vide of arguably the best NA Assassin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJyLRi6TmSE&feature=player_embedded#at=46

Oh, ping plays a huge deal in terms of your attack speed on physical classes, especially on Ranger/Sin.   If you have 200+ ping you won't ever be able to attack like this guy does.

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by elocke

Heh, and here I was about to slam your opinion about the game being fun.  Misleading title.  Anyway, I agree.  The combat kills this game for me, that and the atrocious sound effects.  Worst of any game I have ever heard.  Which is sad, because the music is really good.  I just can't stand the boiinng sound when stunned, the annoyingly loud footsteps, the horrible combat music, and so on.  Add to it extremely boring quests and long, tedious combat that doesnt' pop and flow like it should and I can't see how anyone got past these gamebreaking factors.  

I wanted to like this game, because the other features are cool, like PVP later on and housing, but it's lacking some major character feedback aspects and fun, visceral combat and original questing.

the combat animation like it or not is still one of the best mmo to date

the music is good just because YOU dont like it doesnt mean it sucks in overall

i choose ANYDAY modern day music like the rock them in morheim and the epic trance in the abyss over the typical boring fantasy  music.

maybe u suck at combat but it is fine l2p.

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

I have been playing since launch and have multiple max level characters. I find it fun since (in my opinion) irt delivers open world PvP and solid (if not the best) PvE, with a beautiful world and environment.

That said I am from the UK and since "FTP" we are now under Gameforge who are managing to destroy everything I hold dear about this game. I fear I will have to leave, though god knows where I will find a game that can match Aion. GW2?

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

Learn to weave, your timer for your auto attack swings reset after you use an ability, so use an ability, and you will be able to get an auto attack off before you have to use your next attack in the combo sequence, master this, and you will figure out Aion's combat is slow because later on, it's about choosing the right move, not picking one the fastest.