Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never thought a MMO could repeat what Trion did with Rift launch

Especially not from Funcom..not even in my wildest dreams. Despite their horrible launches with AO and AOC..i have always admired FC's determination to  bring something new to MMO genre. They did it with AO which was ahead of it times and AOC with its combat which was beath of fresh air back in 2008.

But their horrible support, broken launches and buggy nature of releases always held them back from realising their full potential. Something that has now changed with TSW.

After Rift, TSW has been the smoothest launch for me. The only hiccup was trying to claim pre order bonus. Otherwise, i have zero problems in game and it runs smooth as silk.

I am out of Kingsmouth now and currently in savage coast, not a single broken quest or any game breaking bugs.

And for those who were at AOC launch....you know what happened once you were out of tortage? ahaha.

We can say that it is time to put AOC, AO horrible launch stories to rest now since it is clear that it is not the same and old Funcom we are dealing with here.

Two best launches in MMO genre (imo) Rift and Tsw. I never thought Funcom could do it.

My feelings after playing TSW...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s

Comments

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

I've seen a few people in general complaining about "bugged" quests... although one of those couldn't find the brood pods for Dragnet so that wasn't an actual bug.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

I'm glad you felt this way, because I agree with you fully. TSW is a smooth clean launch (minus the pre-order ingame stuff, but it was fixed within a few hours, but very understandable heh).

This game,  I just am enjoying it so much. I truly hope people come in with a fresh mind if they decide to play because the quests aren't all just "Kill 10 things, blah blah" all the time, they make you think, REALLY think.  There are codes to be broken, lies to get around and just a very well made "thinking" MMO. I like having to use my noodle to solve quests, I hope they all do not get ruined by GOOGLE, I for one will not use it unless I"ve been stuck for like a full day , and thats pushing it ( hehe ). 

• paidgtfopaidgtfo Member Posts: 16

While It's a tad buggy, a few memory leak issues and a missing AH, it's alot better than I expected by a large factor. Fingers crossed they keep the server stable under the large load without having to take it down everyother day and defrag/debug it, which has been a problem for Funcom in the past.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Grats funcom, you've learned your mistakes.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

I had the same issue with the Pre-order items, although this morning I have since recieved them all after revisiting the Store to reclaim them for the second time.

The launch has been a 99% success for me, I've encountered no bugs other than what I've already mentioned, my fellow cabal membes (all long time guild friends from many other MMO's)  have all experienced a bug free and smooth launch and are thoroughly enjoying the game.

I've now got to help my father dig up some of his crops from his allotment otherwise I'd still be following the Kingsmouth Code quest, nice to play a quest that makes you think a little for a change =).

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049

Might pick the game up then.

Chamber of Chains
  • iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

I was in the CBT for Anarchy Online and AOC, and I can tell you now, the communication between (The real testers) and Dev's was a lot better this time around then the last 2. They have come a long way, now if only they would use TSW's success to make a Anarchy Online 2 and do what SOE is doing for Planetside and revive a game tha was far too ahead of it's time. TSW is a smooth launch, and I'm sadly already burned out from all the testing, however I hope everyone else can enjoy the game as much as I have the past year. It really is a nice fresh breather to the mindless question to the common quest hub mmo these days. Granted within a month, there will be wiki sites with spoilers for all quests more or less. But at least people will have to go outside the game to figure things out, very much like Anarchy Online.

Glad others are giving funcom credit where it's due, for once. :)

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

Despite my not liking TSW personally I still am glad that those guys seem to have pulled off quite a good launch. Game companies too often are judged by bad support or the amount of bugs in their game (what is understandable) while they ideally should be judged by the gameplay and the quality of their vision for the game. Hopefully people will be fair to Funcom this time.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Must admit i was impressed by how well the CB went, though launch and beta are two different things, and my initial intention was to wait a month before buying and thereby aviod any launch niggles, which.. didnt seem to materialise, im wondering if Trion are in part responsible, their launch of Rift went a long way to setting new standards, so much so that i think any game that launches now with anything more than a few very minor 'niggles' is probably going to take a lot of 'stick' for not being ready.. which got me to thinking about GW2, to me, it seems as though Arenanet have brought forward their launch for GW2, although they were always a bit 'hazy' about the launch date, i wonder if their releasing sooner is due to TSW, and whether a good launch of TSW will have a negative, if any, impact on GW2 sales? although clearly the onus now on Arenanet will also be to have an equally good launch of their own product, makes you wonder if devs, of any game, suffer much higher stress levels in last few weeks/months prior to launching a game. Seems to me there's more at stake these days.imageimage

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

yawn....most mmo release nowadays have almost no launch issues. Nothing to be amazed of.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Color me impressed.  Not what I'd have expected from Funcom.  Kudos.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Chrome1980

Especially not from Funcom..not even in my wildest dreams. Despite their horrible launches with AO and AOC..i have always admired FC's determination to  bring something new to MMO genre. They did it with AO which was ahead of it times and AOC with its combat which was beath of fresh air back in 2008.

But their horrible support, broken launches and buggy nature of releases always held them back from realising their full potential. Something that has now changed with TSW.

After Rift, TSW has been the smoothest launch for me. The only hiccup was trying to claim pre order bonus. Otherwise, i have zero problems in game and it runs smooth as silk.

I am out of Kingsmouth now and currently in savage coast, not a single broken quest or any game breaking bugs.

And for those who were at AOC launch....you know what happened once you were out of tortage? ahaha.

We can say that it is time to put AOC, AO horrible launch stories to rest now since it is clear that it is not the same and old Funcom we are dealing with here.

Two best launches in MMO genre (imo) Rift and Tsw. I never thought Funcom could do it.

Either were playing completely different clients or Ragnars on the forums again....:P

Even though I canceled my preorder three months ago, I can get in to this phase before offical release. Since yesterday personally I've crashed three times, plenty of quests in Kingsmouth are still buggy, (suicide quest, most of the church quests),  active dodging's animations bugs out. Also the hillarious graphics card bug seems to have appeared again, i.e. it incorrectly reads how much graphics memory you have so limits options.  

It's clear to me Fun.com are still the same old chizzle.  No tradepost, becasue they haven't got round to it yet.  Even less customisation options then was in the beta, but that's obviously a nod to the cash shop. Parts of the game working fine, others in dire need of fixing.

This is nothing like Rift's launch and I hate Rift.  Rift was an rather smooth launch, this is smooth for Fun.com but it's still a rushed out cash grap bugfest.  

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

I've seen a few people in general complaining about "bugged" quests... although one of those couldn't find the brood pods for Dragnet so that wasn't an actual bug.

Yeah I hear people complaining about Van in Black or Men in Black or something? And a few others, but that was pretty persistent. I couldn't find some quest mobs, turned out the red circle was in the wrong location, minor really.

I think every MMO I've played at launch has been pretty damn stable for the past couple years. i surely didn't expect it of Funcom, and good job so far. I would call it the norm now though.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

RIFT was Trion's first MMO, company founded 2006
    TSW is Funcom's third MMO, company founded 1993

i am much more impressed by Trion's feat

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by Cetra

yawn....most mmo release nowadays have almost no launch issues. Nothing to be amazed of.

Considering all the bullshit people gave Funcom over Age of Conan im glad they had a smooth launch. The last thing they or this forum needed was more excuses to flame Funcom threads. I guess some people might have hoped for a bad launch so they could troll the hell out of Funcom some more.image

On topic... I am considering trying this more so now then i was before. I never buy mmo's at release due to bugs. The only mmo i have bought at launch that had a smooth launch was Rift but that was because i played it in beta and it seemed to be pretty ironed out as far as bugs went. I might just buy this to play over the next couple months to see how it is. If it keeps my attention i will keep it as my active sub game.

Glad its getting positive feed back. Hope it continues.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

There are a lot of people that are having legitimate bug issues, just fyi.

The 'something wicked' quest seems to work great for some, and not at all for others. Not sure what this means, but the bugs do seem to be rather sporatic. There's also been some glitched boss encounters (ie the last boss of Polaris). So there are definitely issues. It's definitely not as disasterous as AoC, though.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by Terronte

Yeah I hear people complaining about Van in Black or Men in Black or something? And a few others, but that was pretty persistent. I couldn't find some quest mobs, turned out the red circle was in the wrong location, minor really.

The MiB Vans quest isn't bugged as such, it just stops working if someone does it wrong and takes an age to reset.  So if everyone enters everything correctly it won't bug... but people being people...

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

They had a smooth launch because they dont have a high amount of people playing it.  Im in a guild of over 150 people and I dont know 1 person playing this title.  Not hard to have a smooth launch when your population isn't huge compared to like TOR at launch.  Also Trion did a better job since they had a smooth launch on their FIRSt MMO, this is Funcoms third attempt :P

• DemandmanDemandman Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Shatter30

They had a smooth launch because they dont have a high amount of people playing it.  Im in a guild of over 150 people and I dont know 1 person playing this title.  Not hard to have a smooth launch when your population isn't huge compared to like TOR at launch.  Also Trion did a better job since they had a smooth launch on their FIRSt MMO, this is Funcoms third attempt :P

Going to second this... I've been interacting with tenfolds of mmo geeks on daily basis through irc for years, and not a single one of them has shown the slightest of interest towards TSW. Hardly any optimization needed if there aren't enough people there to potentially stress your systems.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Demandman

Going to second this... I've been interacting with tenfolds of mmo geeks on daily basis through irc for years, and not a single one of them has shown the slightest of interest towards TSW. Hardly any optimization needed if there aren't enough people there to potentially stress your systems.

Going by that logic, I don't believe there are 3 billion Chinese people in the world because I don't know any of them.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

overall people really only matters for server stability overall. Has nothing to do with quest bugs, game crashing bugs, features not working ect.. so far haven't had any issues in any major department .

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Very impressed also by that launch.  Looks like Funcom redeemed themself with The Secret World.  I played all day yesterday, no issues whatsoever.

• DemandmanDemandman Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

Going by that logic, I don't believe there are 3 billion Chinese people in the world because I don't know any of them.

I couldn't care less for your reverse rationalization.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Wow? Tenfolds a day? For years?!?! No wai!

Do some of you think anyone takes you remotely serious when you say these types of things? Just curious...

Anywho, as for the topic seems like FC finally got there act together for a launch. It is about fucking time and happy for those experiencing it.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Omnifish
    Originally posted by Chrome1980

Either were playing completely different clients or Ragnars on the forums again....:P

Even though I canceled my preorder three months ago, I can get in to this phase before offical release. Since yesterday personally I've crashed three times, plenty of quests in Kingsmouth are still buggy, (suicide quest, most of the church quests),  active dodging's animations bugs out. Also the hillarious graphics card bug seems to have appeared again, i.e. it incorrectly reads how much graphics memory you have so limits options.  

It's clear to me Fun.com are still the same old chizzle.  No tradepost, becasue they haven't got round to it yet.  Even less customisation options then was in the beta, but that's obviously a nod to the cash shop. Parts of the game working fine, others in dire need of fixing.

This is nothing like Rift's launch and I hate Rift.  Rift was an rather smooth launch, this is smooth for Fun.com but it's still a rushed out cash grap bugfest.  

Yeah we are either playing different clients or you are just paid shill to spread bull about TSW (see two can play that game).

But in all seriousness, you are the first guy to paint this horrible picture of launch which is not even remotely true. Good try though. I knew you were taking BS when you said plenty of quests in kingsmouth are still bugged. RIGHT!!!!!!