Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Repopulation: Learning More About The Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Repopulation is an indie-developed MMO that has piqued a lot of players' imaginations with its innovative features and "sandbox" mentality. We managed to catch up with the development team to talk about The Repopulation and to give our readers new information about this upcoming title. Read on!

MMORPG.com: Will it be possible to play a stealth type character like a Thief, Assassin, Bounty Hunter in PvE, PvP, or both?

The Repopulation: We have a several rogue or ranger like skill lines including: Stealth, Assassination, Acrobobatics, Disguise, Survival, Thievery, Tracking, Hacking, and some shady forms of Chemistry. There will also be a good amount of unique missions for Underworld types.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The Repopulation: Learning More About The Game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693

The Repopulation: Learning More About The Game

bad link, brings me to games list ;p

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Fix link plz

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Finally someoen to include d&d like skills in a game. Tell me more?  This has always been the biggest gap between tabletops and electronic.  Adventure stems only around combat in electronic games, and in tabletops combat is only a 1/3 of actual in game time. 

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Great questions by the interviewer!  I got a lot of really good information from reading the article.  5/5 stars!

This game really excites me.  I really, really want to play it, but it sounds like it is a ways off before release :(  I really believe in the devs vision and what they are trying to accomplish though.

But one thing.  It seems to appeal to that old school type mmo player.  In many ways it reminds me of SWG, and that is a good thing.  But old school gamers I believe (I could be wrong) are comfortable with the idea of a box cost + monthly subscription rate to unlock all content.  I would have liked to have heard of a purely subscription based option.  Cash shops are an alternative source of revenue for game developers to fund the game's growth and also potentially provide cosmetic items that would not otherwise make it into the game.  So I'm comfortable with the idea of a cash shop.  

It would be nice to have the option to buy a box/download and pay monthly though.  I'm not sure how far along they are but I'd love to play the game right now, though I realize it is still in development.  I suppose I will just have to wait though, painful as it is.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Thanks Garret for using (most) of the questions I presented. The answers were really informative.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

On all fronts, this team has its act together. It's one of the most organized and professional indie teams I've seen in a while. Really looking forward to the world they are creating.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Has substance and depth, let's hope they can follow through with a quality product.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Link not working for me guys. Must now more about thies awesome game :(

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

They have videos, screenshots and other info on their website too.  Just google mmo Repopulation and it comes right up.

I know they were trying to raise money for their project by selling statues or something in game.  That doesn't interest me.  But if they needed money, I'd be willing to throw a monthly sub to access a test server and play the alpha, haha....every little bit helps right?  If they are raising money and getting creative, that might be a way to go.  Maybe no one would be interested.  Maybe some would though.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well.. if they manage to deliver... This could be agood game for sandbox fans. Buuuuuuut i have seen to many indie projects come and go.. very few, if any have managed to deliver so i remain reserved.

This have been a good conversation

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Reminds me of Fallen Earth and SWG. Sign me up!

Joined - July 2004

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Now I have both ears listening to this game, the eyes are still on reserve though.

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

omg, its SWG all over again :) hopefully it doesnt end up as yet another sandbox game killed by low budget and tons of bugs/annoyances that would make it unplayable, like so many games before this one (:

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by JimyHumuHumu

omg, its SWG all over again :)

Honestly, this game doesn't have a lot of in common with SWG.  The crafting is most similar to Vanguard's.  There are entire zones of the world which are open PvP including the land that player cities must be built in, the skill system has next to nothing in common with SWG's completely broken professions system, a substantial amount of combat will be mechanized, et cetera.

Labeling this game as nothing but a SWG redux is not only selling the game and dev team short but it's placing expectations in all of the wrong areas.

TRP is its own beast, as it should be.

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339
    unique-looking mmo? Check.
    Free-to-play or one-time membership? Check.

I am interested :).

May be playing this along side GW2 whenever this game is released.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Cavadus

Honestly, this game doesn't have a lot of in common with SWG.  The crafting is most similar to Vanguard's.

To bad, not that Vangaurd crafting system wasn't good, but it still was a lesser crating feature then SWG had.

There are entire zones of the world which are open PvP including the land that player cities must be built in

Well you could pvp all of the planets if you set yourself to being declared, you could attack player city's if the city's had declared war on other city's/guilds in SWG as well as later in the game having zones to pvp

, the skill system has next to nothing in common with SWG's completely broken professions system, a substantial amount of combat will be mechanized, et cetera.

While many things remained broken,SWG skill system still is today the most complex and in depth skill system of almost any MMO that came after, and it should be obvious that when comparing things gamers look for the good things on hopes the good things even if broken might expand into a great system.

Labeling this game as nothing but a SWG redux is not only selling the game and dev team short but it's placing expectations in all of the wrong areas.

I am curious about the game mainly cause it reminds me of SWG and hope they continue to improve on feature's like in SWG and mold their own game out of it.

Should things be different then what SWG was, sure...it should be more polished, less broken, less bugs

But you have to remember that allot of ex-SWG players have never found a new MMO to call their gaming home and The Repopulation might just be that game many of us have been looking for.

In the end after having played a game I judge the game on what it delivers.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by Cavadus

Honestly, this game doesn't have a lot of in common with SWG.  The crafting is most similar to Vanguard's.

To bad, not that Vangaurd crafting system wasn't good, but it still was a lesser crating feature then SWG had.

There are entire zones of the world which are open PvP including the land that player cities must be built in

Well you could pvp all of the planets if you set yourself to being declared, you could attack player city's if the city's had declared war on other city's/guilds in SWG as well as later in the game having zones to pvp

, the skill system has next to nothing in common with SWG's completely broken professions system, a substantial amount of combat will be mechanized, et cetera.

While many things remained broken,SWG skill system still is today the most complex and in depth skill system of almost any MMO that came after, and it should be obvious that when comparing things gamers look for the good things on hopes the good things even if broken might expand into a great system.

I am curious about the game mainly cause it reminds me of SWG and hope they continue to improve on feature's like in SWG and mold their own game out of it.

Should things be different then what SWG was, sure...it should be more polished, less broken, less bugs

But you have to remember that allot of ex-SWG players have never found a new MMO to call their gaming home and The Repopulation might just be that game many of us have been looking for.

In the end after having played a game I judge the game on what it delivers.

Judge it for yourself. Don't just rely on what 1 guy that seems to not be a fan of SWG says. This game is not a SWG clone and nor should it be but make your own comparisons. You may find more similarities than that other guy claims because SWG is playing a rather large influencing role and many SWG vets are involved. Myself included, as if that means anything but it does to me LOL.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

This sounds very interesting. I'm going to keep an eye on this one. I really like the setting and sandbox features.

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146
  • SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

"Memberships are package deals containing all of the commonly used features, at a discounted rate. They are one-time fees."

To the poster concerned about free-to -play;  how is this any different than GW2 model? Whether you buy the client or a membership for a one time fee, you still unlock access to the whole experience with one payment. Am I wrong?

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

A nice interview MMORPG with good questions asked and answered :) . I have high hopes for this game.

• MystaMysta Member UncommonPosts: 94

Do want. glad it's been in development for 5  years, at least they're dedicated with a limited budget. Do want.

Maybe this will fill the void SWG left in my life.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

cant wait to give this a go.. as many have pointed out it really does give a SWG vibe, tho not being an exact SWG clone of course..

Also the guy who said the SWG skill system was broke?? WTF I have not come accross anything better than pre CU SWG.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

sounds amazing. lets hope it all works out.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

dont likethe decay/repair system

permanent damage? that means after some repairs we will loose the armor/weapon for good

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN