Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most difficult class to play in any MMORPG...ever

Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I'm curious...in your experience, including every MMO you have ever played, what is the most difficult class you have ever played and why?  I'll list mine, but I want to hear what people think as well.

The most difficult class to play for me was the old EQ Enchanter.  Why was this the most difficult class to play you ask?

The entire class focused around CC, and your "bread and butter" was called "mezzing."  Which basically means putting a group of monsters into a state where they can't do anything, but if they take any damage, they wake up and almost always come for YOU.

Now, this may not sound that bad, but when you throw in a group dynamic of confused DPSers not assisting the tank, and your random idiot wizard that would AoE...it could be VERY hard.

As an enchanter, you had to not only constantly watch the mobs and re-mez when appropriate...you had to also keep your team in line.  Because if anyone messed up and attacked a mezzed MOB, then YOU are the one that is going to suffer, and considering the significant EXP loss suffered upon a death in EQ, this was not pleasant.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Comments

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

The most difficut class to play well might have been an EQ Bard.

Enchanter is certainly difficult, and is perhaps the most stressful

• Not gonna say it was the hardest but Warden LOTRO was very tricky with its gambit system, but also very strong.

• DalanoDalano Member Posts: 116

Solo pvp minstrel in DAOC.

More than a little OP, but you felt like you deserved it after the onset of carpal tunnel and nervous tics.

Playing: FFXIV, EVE

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    For me, it was a mesmer in gw1
  • deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69

Going to half to go with Meta Physicist MP in Anarchy Online,  Pet class with pets that time out to include your healing pet. General class not really strong at one thing or another.. But you do get to fly and carry pretty shields.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Hmm good question. While I think everyone eventually masters their chosen class, I will say that the most thought provoking class for me would have to be LOTRO's Loremaster.

Joined - July 2004

• HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220

Early WotLK ret pally

Yes I played SWTOR.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Mage in Ragnarok, lvling solo, no defence other than fire-walls which needed to be positioned and timed perfectly in an isometric view, grid movement system with lag, very, very, very hard. If timing was off by half a second you could be one-shotted as your where so slow with no chance to kite or recast.

Second would be archer in AION, you could kite, but no pet, and limited CC, you would have to face your view away from your target, running in just the right direction, and time skill attacks with jumps.

• mmosftl.commmosftl.com Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by deadmanbell

Going to half to go with Meta Physicist MP in Anarchy Online,  Pet class with pets that time out to include your healing pet. General class not really strong at one thing or another.. But you do get to fly and carry pretty shields.

^

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I would say enchanter was the hardest for me (EQ1)...bard I could do all day,but enchanter for me was just too confusing with too much at stake
  • WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Magus from Warhammer Online for me.  it was easy to play if you specced into the rift pull, but beyond that, to play the class well was difficult.  The class was always pretty gimped compared to the others as well in terms of ability to deal damage (the dots were always pretty weak), which made it even harder to compete.  I remember at one point there were only like 5 or 6 active rank 40 magus on my server, before all the final merges happened.  It was still my favorite class in the game.  One, I never had to walk anywhere, ever!  Just glided around on my disc.  Also it was billed as an area denial role, a role which I almost always choose, however the dps was always too low to do that, and the turrets sucked balls for the most part.  I have no idea what they have done to the class recently however.   Engineer, the mirror class, had it's own issues as well.  Don't get me wrong, the class could be powerful in the right hands, but it was hard to play nonetheless.

• ZizzsZizzs Member UncommonPosts: 31

Hardest class to play in any MMORPG? Easy one.

Master Jedi pre-village in SWG... Having to deal with perma overt status and bounty hunters chasing you at every corner and 50 v 1 battles....Fun stuff...

Zizzs - Team Leader - Shade - SoA

• arrgyarrgy Member UncommonPosts: 87

At first before changes went in..Scout from DAoC...said thing was I heard the Ranger was even worse.

• MeyithiMeyithi Member Posts: 48

Pacification healer, DAoC - it was like herding killer sheep that travel at 100 miles per hour.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Fletcher in UO.  Finding the fun in that profession was not easy.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Coming from DAoC my hardest toon was the bard..

Seemed like i had everyones characters lives in my hands. My reflexes to incoming groups had to be seriously fast, and when it wasn't, i had a range of spells i had to use to get not only me but my group out of mez. Not to mention the enemy knew that, so i was normaly first target. It felt more like playing a fine line with them... I wouldn't purge the mez, i'd purge the stun, then MoC and demez my grp till the point of i'm almost dead, then Phase Shift invulnerable at the last split second, and as soon as they drop target i drop phase shift and continue de-mezzing... Ah it was hard, but when i would land those blanket mezz's on zergs.... More than made up for it... 

This was before you could mix 2 songs at once, when you had to switch from flute to drums to harp to mix all three of your spells, plus lead, plus react/mez incoming groups, plus demezz... little bit of healing. 

oh my, it was a workout haha...

And people would rage if you missed the endurance chant hahaha

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269
    Originally posted by Zizzs

Hardest class to play in any MMORPG? Easy one.

Master Jedi pre-village in SWG... Having to deal with perma overt status and bounty hunters chasing you at every corner and 50 v 1 battles....Fun stuff...

Ok yeah that was pretty hard.  I was in an imperial guild at that time where one of our favorite activities was griefing light side jedis.  Every weekend night we would form a big party, tell our bh's to find them or get some juicy info on one their locations and kill them or chase them until they rage quit.  It was fun times, ohhh the tears :D

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by arrgy

At first before changes went in..Scout from DAoC...said thing was I heard the Ranger was even worse.

Yea pre-glorified scouts/rangers/hunters were tough to master, choosing the arrows, Eagle Eye!! haha Rangers were more tough to spec, cause you could get those self buffs, but you would also lose out on some weapon skills, so it was a fine line...

Then after the changes scouts got Slam in shield and would just 9-sec stun anything then point-blank shot... Lame as heck.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

The class that gave me the most fustration was Armsman in DAoC, was great in PvE, but in RvR he seemed to really suck.  Did sword/board for pve, and tried to boost damage by doing 2h in RvR, since the wife played a cleric.  I had the best gear, and I still had the mid scout class with the spear almost kill me, while I was beaing healed heh....Maybe it was me, but I hated that guy in RvR. 

My wife played the enchanter in EQ1, she was one of the top enchanters on the server, but I sucked at it, too much to keep track of, I played the necro, just had to keep track of dot timers, fd off agro, much easier.  Was my funnest class ever as a side note.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Good ole, Enchanters: "Mezzing <<<%t>>>!! DON'T TOUCH IT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!"

Yeah, it's tough to beat that. I would say any class in EQ was more difficult than it's modern day iteration.

The Shaman in DAoC was pretty challenging. I was a hybrid spec, and the combination of rooting, doting, diseasing, and spot healing had me more active than any other class I've played in an MMO. The pure specs all focused on one aspect or the other, but I loved the hybrid and the frantic targeting between enemies and allies, and prioritizing between survival vs damage vs CC on a cast by cast basis.

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

Hardest class I've ever played was the Warden from LoTRO.  Which actually wasn't even hard, just required a certain gift for pattern memorization.

At least, until Rise of Isengard, at which point the Warden basically went from being a tank class to a squishy meat-bag that had to work harder than most for mediocre DPS.  I don't know if they ever actually fixed that, never bothered to go back and find out.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

Intereastingly enough, it was the chosen in Warhammer online, perhaps not so much difficult to play as it was godawfully annoying to have to "constantly" swap auras every few seconds in addition to a dozen tanking abilities. This system was so bad in fact that literally "everyone" used a macro for it. (In fact I think think mythic even recommended it.) God that was annoying.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Vanguard - Blood Mage - EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwWWWWWwwwww

Powerful, oh so powerful, but.....

A class that expends HP for powers are tough to manage to say the least.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Resto Shaman in TBC arena.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Dalano

Solo pvp minstrel in DAOC.More than a little OP, but you felt like you deserved it after the onset of carpal tunnel and nervous tics.

Ah yes, I remember "twisting" as well, a lost art these days.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon