Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Single player games with multiplayer option

qombiqombi Unknown, LAPosts: 1,180Member

When I read about this game all I can think is why are we now having to play all of our single player with multiplayer option games online now? Correct me if I am wrong but I do not see this game having MMO depth. Are there any raids? Can you complete all content by yourself? Is the world persistant?

Comments

  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Dublin, OHPosts: 3,415Member Uncommon

    No way to tell yet, was going to be a Co-op RPG but they said they increased the scale of the project to make ita full scale MMO, going to have to take their word for it until they release more info on the game, though I did want to say that raids don't make an MMO an MMO... if anything I feel like they were a failure, a wrong turn.

  • RecoreRecore Posts: 5,090Member Uncommon

    I could care less about Raids. Give me something new to do and I hope that this game is going to do that.

    Raptr Gamercard
  • azmundaiazmundai St Louis, MOPosts: 1,417Member


    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    No way to tell yet, was going to be a Co-op RPG but they said they increased the scale of the project to make ita full scale MMO, going to have to take their word for it until they release more info on the game, though I did want to say that raids don't make an MMO an MMO... if anything I feel like they were a failure, a wrong turn.

    This works out well for them as the new definition of mmo appears to be any game that has a chat box

    LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

  • I don't mind having to always be online in coop games, as long as they don't charge me a subscription. It's like in Diablo 2 - there was an offline mode but you never used it, since battle.net was simply a better option. Hence in Diablo 3, offline play simple wasn't needed anymore.

    Of course back then in the Diablo 2 times, some people didn't have Internet yet, so there had to be an offline option.

  • BeilochBeiloch Sun City, CAPosts: 74Member

    They are basically using the term 'MMO' for marketing imo.

    I saw a video interview where the interviewer specifically asked about raids, they just mentioned 'hardcore' group dungeon crawls that take a while to clear.

  • ZigZagsZigZags Modesto, CAPosts: 328Member
    OP, this is a CORPG not an MMO and Skyrim came out...single player only...even though there is ton of demand for it to be CORPG or MMO...but its neither.

    Now: Skyrim
    Later: ?
    Played: M59, UO, EQ, Runescape, DAOC, SB, EQ2, WoW, EVE, Darkfall, AoC, FFXI, FFXIV, WAR, SWTOR
    BOYCOTTING: EA/BioWare/Origin/SOE

  • evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by Beiloch

    They are basically using the term 'MMO' for marketing imo.

    I saw a video interview where the interviewer specifically asked about raids, they just mentioned 'hardcore' group dungeon crawls that take a while to clear.

    Raids are not a necessary component for a MMO, and they do not suit the D&D setting either.

  • PresbytierPresbytier Phoenix, AZPosts: 424Member
    Originally posted by qombi

    When I read about this game all I can think is why are we now having to play all of our single player with multiplayer option games online now? Correct me if I am wrong but I do not see this game having MMO depth. Are there any raids? Can you complete all content by yourself? Is the world persistant?

    This should not be understood as a traditional MMO as you would normally define it. This is a D&D game, and as such the focus is on group play with a persistant world in order to form gruops to tackle dungeons. According to the devs Neverwinter will not have raids, and that is okay. D&D is about telling a story and questing with a group of like minded individuals. What seperates this game from the mold is its robust mission creator tools, which allow players to design their own dungeoon encounters.

    "Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

  • baphametbaphamet omaha, NEPosts: 2,836Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Beiloch They are basically using the term 'MMO' for marketing imo. I saw a video interview where the interviewer specifically asked about raids, they just mentioned 'hardcore' group dungeon crawls that take a while to clear.
    Raids are not a necessary component for a MMO, and they do not suit the D&D setting either.

    this

  • redman875redman875 illinois, ILPosts: 230Member
    Originally posted by baphamet

     


    Originally posted by evilastro

    Originally posted by Beiloch They are basically using the term 'MMO' for marketing imo. I saw a video interview where the interviewer specifically asked about raids, they just mentioned 'hardcore' group dungeon crawls that take a while to clear.
    Raids are not a necessary component for a MMO, and they do not suit the D&D setting either.

     

    this

    I would actually prefer a dungeon crawl where you want to...you know clear the dungeon.

    Raids have become nothing more than the art of skipping as much as possible to get to the boss then exploiting the boss mechanics so you can beat it without...you know..trying...

     

    Raiding is not what it use to be and more of a needed pain in the ass in modern games...needed because you need that purple gear that isnt good for anything else other than doing the next raid or just to have it for when the next expansion comes out...yeah...good stuff...

  • HrimnirHrimnir Qeynos, COPosts: 1,597Member Uncommon

    Did any of you actually watch any of the videos or read any articles?

    They clearly stated the game will have a large, non instanced overland world, with multiple cities, and will have its focus be on instanced group "dungeon" content.

    They did say there would not be raids.  Which is fine by me (and im a hardcore raider since EQ1, still raiding in Rift).  MMO does not = raids.

    This is an MMO, its just one thats focusing on single group content and fun combat.

    "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

    - Friedrich Nietzsche

  • HorrorScopeHorrorScope Norcal, CAPosts: 612Member
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

    Did any of you actually watch any of the videos or read any articles?

    They clearly stated the game will have a large, non instanced overland world, with multiple cities, and will have its focus be on instanced group "dungeon" content.

    They did say there would not be raids.  Which is fine by me (and im a hardcore raider since EQ1, still raiding in Rift).  MMO does not = raids.

    This is an MMO, its just one thats focusing on single group content and fun combat.

    Agreed and for me this is all I usually need. But it will be baptized for not being mmo enough, we'll get descriptions of what a real mmo is and to be honest most will be describing a dream game that has never been released yet.

    I'm all for small group questing and cities to act like a browser hub for matchmaking.

     

  • nightfallrobnightfallrob Prescott Valley, AZPosts: 167Member
    Originally posted by HorrorScope
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

    Did any of you actually watch any of the videos or read any articles?

    They clearly stated the game will have a large, non instanced overland world, with multiple cities, and will have its focus be on instanced group "dungeon" content.

    They did say there would not be raids.  Which is fine by me (and im a hardcore raider since EQ1, still raiding in Rift).  MMO does not = raids.

    This is an MMO, its just one thats focusing on single group content and fun combat.

    Agreed and for me this is all I usually need. But it will be baptized for not being mmo enough, we'll get descriptions of what a real mmo is and to be honest most will be describing a dream game that has never been released yet.

    I'm all for small group questing and cities to act like a browser hub for matchmaking.

     

    They've had this for a while, it's called Guild Wars. Not GW 2, the original. That's all the cities were ever used for. While it was fun for a while, it eventually got boring because of the lack of a real community. That's my one concern for this game. If they set it up to only feature 4 or 5 player groups in instances and no large scale options it will get old fast. 

    That being said, the Foundry has real potential, especially if they eventually (I know there won't be PvP at release) set it up to allow for custom PvP zone creation.

Sign In or Register to comment.