Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIFT - And why you should be playing it

ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Following some of the recent launches of pretend to be mmorpgs, some having few of "mmo" and nothing of "rpg", i again felt stranded and lost in this land, pushing me back to that very first time when i left my sweet "that other game" in persuit of something i lost after a given expansion in that same game.

That crusade led me to try game after game, in a continuous search for that missing piece, and oh boy it was expensive, both in time and money spent.

Now, years later, i find myself in the same situation.

Not that i cant cope with the vastness and beauty in the world of EVE, or the soaring winds of AION, but i was missing the "rpg" element in my character, so much that i was already looking for a single player rpg...good God.

But i hadnt lost my faith yet, and GW2 is still a bit away...2 months....

So i decided to once more gird for battle.

With an eye out for some interesting upcoming launches, like "The Repopulation" and "Path of Exile", and with GW2 on the horizon, i decided to thin my list to two choices: the game i never played and should had "Vanguard" or the game that i stoped playing and still dont know why "RIFT"

How to decide? Simple, the old coin toss trick, Mr. Harvey Dent style. "Pling"....RIFT it is.

So now...

Reactivate my account: simple

Subscribe: simple

Download client: simple and fast

Get in the game: easy cake

Now, i dont want to sound too much of an idiot, but i am one, because this game was sitting here the all time and i dont know why i was not playing it.

This game, in my opinion, has to be (i say "has" because i havent tried all games out there ofc) the most polished and solid MMO+RPG in the market. Everything in this game screams "we know what we are doing" and TRION sure knows it.

Sure i felt a bit "slow" given the fast paced games i recently played, but once i got the hang of it and decided not to rush the content and simply play it in a way that i could gain awareness of everything that surrounds me, in everything that exists in this world to do, i could simply pickup that old feeling of "presence" again. 

Im not reviewing it ofc, and doing so would seem useless at this stage, not giving "pros" or "cons", etc etc, and what matters in the end is that you are having fun playing your game, any game, because "taste" and "opinion" are two words of individual ackownledgement, so dont let anyone tell you that the game you are playing isnt any good...

...well, imo D3 sucks, but thats just me.

So, if you are new to the genre, searching for something else, or not having fun at the moment, RIFT is one of the serious contenders to be warming up your HD for the next couple of months.

And "why should you be playing it"??

Easy, this game is everything you know about many other games, condensed into one package, but with a small tiny remark:

TRION only managed to squeeze in the good parts.

Comments

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Clerigo

Following some of the recent launches of pretend to be mmorpgs, some having few of "mmo" and nothing of "rpg",

When you start your topic like that you're just asking for flames. Maybe it's your intention to look like a OP thats desperate for thread with a large post count but you simply come off as Baiting tbh.

I understand the excitement for Rift with its new Pvp mode but we can all do with less baiting imo.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• cultura82cultura82 Member UncommonPosts: 27

It's a very polished and enjoyable game, for me is the winner in the fantasy-theme-park sector.

I'd be happy if they move from the 100% theme-park toward a more hybrid schema, for example doing PvP with a real huge impact and/or a more player driven economy.

Trion is doing very well, I'm quite sure we'll see HUGE improvements for RIFT over time: I subscribe 1-2 months here and there but the client is always installed and updated :P

Whoever fears death, dies everyday. Who doesn't, dies only once.
  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Following some of the recent launches of pretend to be mmorpgs, some having few of "mmo" and nothing of "rpg", 

I think Rift is the epitome of MMO without RPG

The worst race selection in any MMORPG by a rather enormous margin, and most of the races have no character to them at all.

The game world feels generic, and is designed to be absolutely crammed with content.  Trions content addition is mostly cramming even more content in the world.  Mobs every two feet give it a very unnatural feel.

The game was designed with a 'game starts at max level' philosophy, so the actual period of character progression is extremely small.  

Furthermore, the soul system makes your character have no real identity.

They constantly make changes to the game for the sake of gameplay but to the detriment of lore.  This is tricky, as some of the quality of life changes (mercenaries) do make a big difference and its tough to fault them.  But cross faction mailing is a bit unneccesary.  And then there is conquest, where instead of making a logical 3rd faction (planar invaders?) they made guardians and defiants temporary friends choosing among 3 new factions.  The whole thing doesnt make one lick of sense, and there was absolutely no reason why they couldnt have done something different and had 3 faction battlegrounds without being absolutely idiotic with lore.

Trion has consistently put gameplay and convenience (for both us and them) ahead of lore and immersion.  For some people this is a big plus.  If you dont care about a virtual world and just want to play a MMOG, Rift is one of the best options out there.  If you want a rich, immersive game world steer clear of Rift.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by teakbois

The worst race selection in any MMORPG by a rather enormous margin, and most of the races have no character to them at all.

The game world feels generic, and is designed to be absolutely crammed with content.  Trions content addition is mostly cramming even more content in the world.  Mobs every two feet give it a very unnatural feel.

The game was designed with a 'game starts at max level' philosophy, so the actual period of character progression is extremely small.  

They constantly make changes to the game for the sake of gameplay but to the detriment of lore.  This is tricky, as some of the quality of life changes (mercenaries) do make a big difference and its tough to fault them.  But cross faction mailing is a bit unneccesary.  And then there is conquest, where instead of making a logical 3rd faction (planar invaders?) they made guardians and defiants temporary friends choosing among 3 new factions.  The whole thing doesnt make one lick of sense, and there was absolutely no reason why they couldnt have done something different and had 3 faction battlegrounds without being absolutely idiotic with lore.

Trion has consistently put gameplay and convenience (for both us and them) ahead of lore and immersion.  For some people this is a big plus.  If you dont care about a virtual world and just want to play a MMOG, Rift is one of the best options out there.  If you want a rich, immersive game world steer clear of Rift.

Teak, nothing personal. But any decent post seems to get a response from you that is negative in nature. Perhaps if you dislike the game so much you can go to a forum of a game you do like. While your input is invaluable in showing someone who seems disgruntled towards a game. It is better for everyone if you comment with something you do like.

I do not care that you post. But you flame almost every rift posts placed here with good intent.

Please stop.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

As somebody who is not a big fan of the themepark design, Rift is one of the very few that I have thoroughly enjoyed.  I think that it's an amazing game that is run by an amazing company. I am currently subbed and will remain so for the forseeable future.

Originally posted by xpowderx

Teak, nothing personal. But any decent post seems to get a response from you that is negative in nature. Perhaps if you dislike the game so much you can go to a forum of a game you do like. While your input is invaluable in showing someone who seems disgruntled towards a game. It is better for everyone if you comment with something you do like.

I do not care that you post. But you flame almost every rift posts placed here with good intent.

Please stop.

The OP had an opinon that I disagreed with.  I certainly didnt flame the OP at all, but I very strongly disagree and its a very important issue because it gets to the matter of why games like EQ and Vanilla WoW are superior to modern games, they focused on the RPG aspects.   Especially immersion and a great world.  Hopefully Storm Legion can change that.  

Its also a pretty sensationalistic thread title, which doesnt help things.  WHY YOU SHOULD BE PLAYING RIFT.  It should be 'Rift - And why I am playing it'.  While I think the OP in this case is being genuine, this forum has a LOT of b.s. and over sensationalized garbage.  Theres a post on here about how awesome conquest was and that all 4 of that person's servers had queues because of the patch.   Only two of the servers had queues, and one of those queues was for a very short time.  I don't even think there were 4 servers that hit high pop yesterday.  Posts like that are far from good intent.  They are deceptive.  Again, I don't think thats the OP's intent here, but there are clearly threads here that exaggerate things or ignore the bad things to get more people to play Rift.  You make a post like that, there is a good chance Ill respond.

And I do have helpful posts too.  And Ill always recommend someone try and sub back for a month to see things for themselves.  But Im not going to sugar coat my opinion (or the facts) like many people do here (although a lot of people atually do believe things, such as 'Rift is doing very well and has a stable population'). And you know what?  It probably helps Trion.  Because if someone goes in thinking something is going to be amazing because there is nothing but exaggerated raves about it, theres a good chance they will be disappointed.  If they go in with a balanced set of viewpoints, they might be pleasantly surprised.  

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Originally posted by Z3R01

When you start your topic like that you're just asking for flames. Maybe it's your intention to look like a OP thats desperate for thread with a large post count but you simply come off as Baiting tbh.

I understand the excitement for Rift with its new Pvp mode but we can all do with less baiting imo.

Well im sorry if you felt that way. Was not my intention. But i am giving MY opinion.

About your other remarks, if you view my post history, i rarely start a thread and i dont need atention from you or anyone in this site or in any other site. I came here to post MY opinion.

Thank you.

Well, thak you for your reply.

And i got to ask you this: if RIFT is all that, maye you could recommend me a mmorpg that has all those elements you mention? Or at least some of them.

• DeepfallDeepfall Member UncommonPosts: 51

I'm back to RIFT. I stopped two months after launch due to work overload. The game has made such progress while I was gone I truly can see it become a rising star. Should they add housing, it will then be the one mmorpg that will have a chance to survive on a long term basis to my heavy distate for themepark.

And i got to ask you this: if RIFT is all that, maye you could recommend me a mmorpg that has all those elements you mention? Or at least some of them.

Everquest 2 and LOTRO probably come the closest these days.  LOTRO though can be a bit too slow feeling (its combat can be rather dull, with the possible exception of playing a warden).  EQ2 I think is the best all around themepark MMORPG, even if the direction its gone in the last year and a half or so is disappointing.  I played one beta weekend up to level 15, but I think GW2 will qualify as well, the cities are absolutely amazing and give each race a clear distinct feel and atmosphere.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Everquest 2 and LOTRO probably come the closest these days.  LOTRO though can be a bit too slow feeling (its combat can be rather dull, with the possible exception of playing a warden).  EQ2 I think is the best all around themepark MMORPG, even if the direction its gone in the last year and a half or so is disappointing.  I played one beta weekend up to level 15, but I think GW2 will qualify as well, the cities are absolutely amazing and give each race a clear distinct feel and atmosphere.

heh, I left EQ II to play RIFT. I wouldnt go back. You are right, LOTRO is slow at times. Now I know why you post negative comments about Rift. Familiar statements! Of course it was at the time SWTOR fanbois were around. Its all good, a month or two of GWII and all those players will be playing RIFT.  I am glad I understand where you are coming from Teak. Now we know where the source is coming from. The "honest" opinion :-D

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I enjoyed Rift for a few months. It is a good themepark without a doubt.  If a person likes themeparks and hasnt tried Rift yet they owe it to themselves to give it a shot imo. I havent even played since about 3 months after launch and I would still feel comfortable reccomending it to someone who I know likes themeparks.

• zytinzytin Member UncommonPosts: 202

Please stop.

If you didn't care, you wouldn't have responded to the post....Just saying.

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

The wife and I have pretty much stopped playing SWToR and moved back to rift. The game has improved and we both decided to simply start all over again.

We picked a new server, new toons and we are both enjoying leveling up again. The game is not anything new,  but it is fun for us. Polished, and we both will talk during the day about what we want to do the next night.

For people that have not played Rift, i again say. You are not going to get something totally new. Alot of it has been done, but what i think Trion did do was take a page from Bliz, take features that work and make them better. All in all we have both subbed again. FOr the time being we will be playing away trying to get to lvl 30 :)

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I'd say Rift is the perfect follow-up MMO for WoW players that are tired of the kiddy-fying that WoW keeps going through. You get the same gear grind treadmill at endgame and gear-based PvP (minus arenas iirc) with better graphics and more choice for viable (although there is always a "best") builds.

If the above is what you desire as a MMORPG gamer then I'd say Rift is the best bet on the market, currently.

heh, I left EQ II to play RIFT. I wouldnt go back. You are right, LOTRO is slow at times. Now I know why you post negative comments about Rift. Familiar statements! Of course it was at the time SWTOR fanbois were around. Its all good, a month or two of GWII and all those players will be playing RIFT.  I am glad I understand where you are coming from Teak. Now we know where the source is coming from. The "honest" opinion :-D

Oh i get it, you put honest in quotations because you wanted to imply I have some hidden agenda.  I noticed it was actually you the one who posted the fabrication about the number of servers with queues.  Someone that blatantly lies about "their" game to make it look like the place to be really shouldnt be calling others out for imaginary agendas.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Five reasons why I play Rift:

1. Rift is one of the last major titles left where everyone pays the same amount of money to play and everyone has the exact same opprtunities. No cash shops and no publisher sponsored RMT.

2. Trion is extremely aggressive in releasing content. They listen to what the players want and deliver. They are busting their @$$es to keep Rift relevent. I think they are doing a good job.

3. It's moving in a direction. Yes the game was released as a clone. Infact I played the game at release and said it was the game that WoW should have become. I lasted a few months because I needed a break from MMOs. But I have since returned and I can honetly say, that with each patch, the game is slowly but surely coming into its own and less and less like WoW.

4. This new expansion looks Epic. So better to prepare for it now.

5. I just like it. 

• ArkanikArkanik Member Posts: 30

Please stop.

The OP had an opinon that I disagreed with.  I certainly didnt flame the OP at all, but I very strongly disagree and its a very important issue because it gets to the matter of why games like EQ and Vanilla WoW are superior to modern games, they focused on the RPG aspects.   Especially immersion and a great world.  Hopefully Storm Legion can change that.  

Its also a pretty sensationalistic thread title, which doesnt help things.  WHY YOU SHOULD BE PLAYING RIFT.  It should be 'Rift - And why I am playing it'.  While I think the OP in this case is being genuine, this forum has a LOT of b.s. and over sensationalized garbage.  Theres a post on here about how awesome conquest was and that all 4 of that person's servers had queues because of the patch.   Only two of the servers had queues, and one of those queues was for a very short time.  I don't even think there were 4 servers that hit high pop yesterday.  Posts like that are far from good intent.  They are deceptive.  Again, I don't think thats the OP's intent here, but there are clearly threads here that exaggerate things or ignore the bad things to get more people to play Rift.  You make a post like that, there is a good chance Ill respond.

And I do have helpful posts too.  And Ill always recommend someone try and sub back for a month to see things for themselves.  But Im not going to sugar coat my opinion (or the facts) like many people do here (although a lot of people atually do believe things, such as 'Rift is doing very well and has a stable population'). And you know what?  It probably helps Trion.  Because if someone goes in thinking something is going to be amazing because there is nothing but exaggerated raves about it, theres a good chance they will be disappointed.  If they go in with a balanced set of viewpoints, they might be pleasantly surprised.  

I just have to comment a bit on this , not flaming you but when i tried wow and saw mr t in there and people throwing grenades at me to turn me into him  it killed lore and immersion for me . Along with that motorcycles, steam powered helicopters , goblins got what jet packs or rocket launcher? cant remember  no thanks. . This is just a few i had to mention. Not saying wow is a bad game but those killed fantasy even high fantasy settings for me .

I know that rift has tech also but at least it fits in with the lore and doesnt go over the top.

Just my opinion of course.

Thnx for the reply.

I have played both those games. I wont comment on EQ2 because i havent many positive things to say.

LotRO is in fact a great rpg online, and you cant beat the lore in that game ofc, love it or hate it, the world created by Tolkien is just perfect and immense and no other can match it. What made me not play it, despite some wondeful areas and mechanics,is the lack of an opposing faction.

Also when you comment on RIFTs racial traits when picking a class and you chose to compare them to the ones in LotRO, you should know that you are out of hand there. The point in RIFT is to allow a player to be flexible. If you already bind the player to some form of selection right from the start, the objective is lost. But yes, maybe theres more of "rpg" in LotRO than in RIFT, but still, for me, RIFT has both "mmo" and "rpg" and LotRO has only "online" and "rpg" in it...kind like GW1. But hey, i liked my time spent in LotRO. Great game also.

But that is ofc only my opinion :)

• JurredJurred Member UncommonPosts: 47

I felt the exact same way. I played RIFT when it came out and just stopped playing. I don't know or remember why. I have tried EVERY other MMO I could find that looked halfway decent since Lineage II and I just couldn't find anything that held my interest. Warhammer did for the first few weeks but then everyone realized it was garbage. Tried aion...again liked it for the first couple weeks then realized it was the same old shit. Rift is the same old shit, but it's the same old fun shit, not the same old boring shit that you dread doing. And it's wrapped up in a pretty beautiful world with an infinite amount of things to be doing.

Also when you comment on RIFTs racial traits when picking a class and you chose to compare them to the ones in LotRO, you should know that you are out of hand there. The point in RIFT is to allow a player to be flexible. If you already bind the player to some form of selection right from the start, the objective is lost.

I was talking about the races themselves.  They are dull, boring and uninspired.  In a game like EQ/EQ2 and WoW, the races have ther own personality and culture.  While there is a little of that in Rift, its all so bland.  If you asked someone to write a paragraph or two describing the non visual aspects of the Bahmi, how many people would be able to come up with something?

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Also when you comment on RIFTs racial traits when picking a class and you chose to compare them to the ones in LotRO, you should know that you are out of hand there. The point in RIFT is to allow a player to be flexible. If you already bind the player to some form of selection right from the start, the objective is lost.

I was talking about the races themselves.  They are dull, boring and uninspired.  In a game like EQ/EQ2 and WoW, the races have ther own personality and culture.  While there is a little of that in Rift, its all so bland.  If you asked someone to write a paragraph or two describing the non visual aspects of the Bahmi, how many people would be able to come up with something?

good point.. I can close my eyes today and get a detailed visual of the races in EQ1 and WoW.... As for Rift.. Honestly I can't even name them, let alone discribe them...... LOL

Originally posted by Rydeson

good point.. I can close my eyes today and get a detailed visual of the races in EQ1 and WoW.... As for Rift.. Honestly I can't even name them, let alone discribe them...... LOL

Well i sure cant :P but i played WoW for almost 4 years game time. I play RIFT for 1 month now.

And yes, WoWs lore is rich as also is the one in LotRO, but i think of no reason why both these games should have no rich lore because LotRO has is base in Tolkiens world wich was written long long ago, and the warcraft one had also long years of development....

...RIFT is just new compared to those.

I am having fun playing this game, like i havent since WAR first couple of weeks. The game is very very solid, with a mix of "deja-vu"  designs and mechanics put together in a easy way, so easy that i see most people not even noticing they are there, there are tons of things to do and, in my opinion, its better to have that than a rich lore but broken game.

My 2 cents ofc.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378

And yes, WoWs lore is rich as also is the one in LotRO, but i think of no reason why both these games should have no rich lore because LotRO has is base in Tolkiens world wich was written long long ago, and the warcraft one had also long years of development....

...RIFT is just new compared to those.

When Trion with its approach would have made Lotro or WoW you would have heard the same complaint. The problem is not in the lore but lies in the company.

The sad truth is that Rift is the first mmorpg that bored me stiff after leveling of few characters to level cap. That never happened to me before.

It takes one to know one.

• GeevesGeeves Member UncommonPosts: 149

Funnily enough his "other option" in Vanguard is almost the complete polar opposite. All of the lore, immersion and incredible world with none of the quality of life features. 

I think it's fair to say that both games could do with a bit of what makes the other one work.

MUNDO!!