Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MechWarrior Online: Russ Bullock Talks All Things MWO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MechWarrior Online is one of the games that lots of people are watching very closely as development continues. In our latest interview, we managed to catch up with Russ Bullock to talk all things MWO from customization to how players find one another in game. It's a terrific interview so keep reading!

MMORPG: There are a lot of old school Mech Warrior fans out there. What would you like to say to them about the game and your goal for players?

Russ Bullock: I think it is important to tell those fans that we are indeed making the next true MechWarrior experience. It looks, sounds and feels like a MechWarrior product only with newer technology and design principles. When we launch open beta later this summer, come try out the game and you won’t be disappointed.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's MechWarrior Online: Russ Bullock Talks All Things MWO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

Not sure about paying ahead of time for it , but looking forward to trying it at some point.

A full fledged Battletech MMO would be the holy grail for me.

As in aerospace wars , dropshops ,persistent territory maps for strategy portion  plus the mech combat (mixed with vehicles,infantry, the whole thing.

They could sit it around 3050 and use the Clans as an NPC force to balance out if one Inner Sphere faction became too dominant etc.

• ducesettutamducesettutam Member UncommonPosts: 85

Or you could go read what the are actually intending to do instead of coming up with what you think they should do.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

To be honest a Planetside style game woudl have been cool.. but it would have sufferd baddly if the number of players dropped low... This way it is a bit more resistant to that.

And truth be told i am just glad we get a new and fresh MechWarrior game at all. It is a tick of my "dream MMO" list. Now i only lack a Transformers MMO and i can for the most part die happy.

This have been a good conversation

• guy232guy232 Member UncommonPosts: 350

Another "gimmie money"  situation.    Cant wait to see them start selling "premium" mech ect 

It..Burns..

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Played the original MW back in the day, can't wait to give this a spin.  Should bring back some nostalgia.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Meh.. More instanced 8 v 8 lobby BS.  Well executed, nonetheless.

• neveserneveser Member UncommonPosts: 21

I'm in for an Elite Founder.

Loved the old games. Hope this rocks!

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

LOL @ 1min 11sec point. The tribe lady dancing on the right xD

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by ducesettutam

Or you could go read what the are actually intending to do instead of coming up with what you think they should do.

Holy shit I remarked on a DISCUSSION board about liking their idea enough to try it and added what I would love to see in an expanded BT mmo.

Defininitely can see how that would set you off. What was I thinking.

• sirsammy33sirsammy33 Member Posts: 64

cant wait for it )

• WrayethWrayeth Member Posts: 229

Interesting read.  Nothing I didn't already know, but I did find the following rather funny:

"MMORPG: What different options do you allow on a Mech Warrior suit for players? Are there lots of customizations?"

If a mech is a suit, well, the pilot must be absolutely gigantic.  I mean an Atlas, for instance, is 13 meters (or 40+ feet) tall.  :D

In canon, the pilot of a battlemech actually sits in a cockpit and controls the mech with joysticks and foot pedals.  To quote somebody, somewhere, whose name I don't recall, "Battletech is a game about giant, stompy robots."

-Wrayeth
    "Look, pa! I just contributed absolutely nothing to this thread!"

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well you can be nit-picking or you can choose to look at it as another word for outfit or version... As in how much will my atlas be different to your atlas... Seeing as this is one of the most important questions for many people.

But i guess you just like to nit-pick.

This have been a good conversation

• TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113

I can't wait for this to launch, and I can't wait for my Founder's Beta Key.  Until then, I'll continue to build my merc unit ( http://www.wolvesau.net/AU ), though we will not be able to actually start forming it in-game until about 3 months or so after the game launches.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Shame they dont seem to have more salvage and recover /build to this. Looks like the WOT model with matchmaking which is just a basic arena game. I really wanted a true Mech Warrior MMO doesn't look like it will happen.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

"Russ Bullock: I think it is important to tell those fans that we are indeed making the next true MechWarrior experience. It looks, sounds and feels like a MechWarrior product only with newer technology and design principles. When we launch open beta later this summer, come try out the game and you won’t be disappointed."

Spin Spin Spin Spin... I really want to believe them, but the game is still under a HEAVY NDA with around a month till the open beta hits... The open beta for this game is more or less a launch... Since after the open beta starts they will NOT be doing anymore wipes. All progress will be kept. I pray they do the franchise justice...

• ToothmanToothman Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Isane

Shame they dont seem to have more salvage and recover /build to this. Looks like the WOT model with matchmaking which is just a basic arena game. I really wanted a true Mech Warrior MMO doesn't look like it will happen.

You want what?   Sit around making 1000 atlas feet to level your mech building skills?  Mechwarrior is about mech combat.  MWO will be about mech combat.  Hopefully about 3 months after launch there will be a meta game for those who want more.  BT/MW really doesn't lend itself to a traditional MMO setting.   Shadowrun on the other hand would.  /hint /hint

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Well I am a founder and am very excited to play this game.  Battletech tabletop was something I played as a kid and it really helped lay the foundation for me to become a gamer.  MWO looks to be very true to the tabletop and you can customize your mechs through the same tonnage/hardpoint system that was used in tabletop.  Honestly, I'm glad they are going the instanced battle route rather than making a persistant world.   In a persistant world their would probably be stupid  kill 10 Urbanmech quests and lots of npc grinding.  Who wants to fight NPCs anyway?  I sure as hell don't.   Something persistant like planetside would be cool, but i am perfectly happy with the design decision they made.  More of a mech simulation than an MMORPG, but that is a good thing. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!