Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warning Euro Players (Where Will You Play)

WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I believe SOE have signed a contract with Pro-bien sat to run the EU division for them.  I am not happy about this I do not think we will recieve the same level of service as I am yet to find a game run by a middle man to provide the same standard of service.  Also the last time I played PS1 the EU server was dead with most playing on the US.

I am currently asking myself the question since it is free to play, I dont have to fork out or find a shop willing to sell me the game.  I can simply load up and play, given the nature of planetside 2 it will be a 24 hour game which will have clans actively recruiting for night teams.

If you have information which proves me wrong and this contract deal has not happened for PS2 then please please show me.

Kind regards

Wic

Comments

• SnipefragSnipefrag Member Posts: 17

As a EU resident i did find myself playing the US server most the time, this time round i think i will be playing both sides with my outfit The Archangels. We've been around since PS1 beta, if that sounds good to any of you then drop on by http://www.archangelsgaming.com .

• sinni800sinni800 Member Posts: 26

The whole fact that Planetside is a shooter always brought me away from the US servers by default. It's just the whole lag thing  that plays in somwhere in my brain.

How did that work out in PS1? I played PS1 but only on Werner, the Euroserver.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by sinni800

The whole fact that Planetside is a shooter always brought me away from the US servers by default. It's just the whole lag thing  that plays in somwhere in my brain.

Well not only in your brain.

Even if US servers are on east coast like in Boston or NY it is still is 120 ms + for most western,north and central europeans.

Higher for most of southern and eastern ones.

If US servers are on west coast of somewhere in Texas for example that is even worse.... rarely happen though.

When I from central europe get to EU servers usually like 30-45 ms.

Diffrence is huge.

Originally posted by fenistil

Even if US servers are on east coast like in Boston or NY it is still is 120 ms + for most western,north and central europeans.

If US servers are on west coast of somewhere in Texas for example that is even worse.... rarely happen though.

Diffrence is huge.

Hmm, so did the game go a way toward being less playable than with less ping? I would think so with the whole twitch based ego shooter thing.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by fenistil

Diffrence is huge.

Hmm, so did the game go a way toward being less playable than with less ping? I would think so with the whole twitch based ego shooter thing.

Well almost all online games (unless turn-based) suffer from higher ping.

FPS games like P2 even more.

Biggest thing is not even ping in normal play, but that if you're playing on a servers that are far from your place - like on other side of ocean - then when there is big battle or raid (in mmorpg') you get lag spikes or packet losses and your gameplay suffer.

Not always but it can happen mroe freqnently.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

I really don't want to be shoved over to a company in Germany with a bad rep that has little to no experience running MMO's either. I want my account with SOE,and not with a company which has other departments that deals with things your personal info would be perfect to farm, I won't trust them.

The staff SOE sent over to shape them can't teach them real hands on experience, and that’s where the EU players will suffer at their mistakes. I'll rather avoid all that and stay on the US east coast servers. It's all fibre optics connections now days anyway across the seas.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

I really don't want to be shoved over to a company in Germany with a bad rep that has little to no experience running MMO's either. I want my account with SOE,and not with a company which has other departments that deals with things your personal info would be perfect to farm, I won't trust them.

The staff SOE sent over to shape them can't teach them real hands on experience, and that’s where the EU players will suffer at their mistakes. I'll rather avoid all that and stay on the US east coast servers. It's all fibre optics connections now days anyway across the seas.

That's a pretty hilarious post considering SOE's reputation in the MMO space and SONY in general's reputation in online gaming.

SOE the company that brought you the NGE to Star Wars, the combat revamp 2.0 to The Matrix Online, the company that lost all of your SOE details to hackers last year as well as SONY's console service losing the same amount of data to hackers and being down for close to 1 month due to this issue.

Sony have a shitty track record too but I still agree I would rather have my account in one place than with a third party, this just looks like another GOA or Frogster situation arising.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Are you sure this game will be completely free to play? I know there won't be a monthly sub but I'm surprised to hear the game itself will be free.

If this is really the case, it's a major turn off for me because it means all the LoL assholes will be playing it. I'm never playing another game with such a horrid community.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Charas

Are you sure this game will be completely free to play? I know there won't be a monthly sub but I'm surprised to hear the game itself will be free.

If this is really the case, it's a major turn off for me because it means all the LoL assholes will be playing it. I'm never playing another game with such a horrid community.

It will indeed be free, I can only imagine it will follow the same sort of model as Tribes Ascend.

That model is:

The game is free to download and play, you play and gain XP and you can spend this XP on new weapons and armor etc

If you buy something from the item shop with real money your account is now VIP status, you gain 50% more XP per game now, so this lets you buy items and weapons faster and level up faster. You can also spend real money on these items to unlock them straight away.

There will be items that you can buy for real money that you cannot buy for ingame XP, these should all be cosmetic and should not affect gameplay.

So basically you can achieve everything in game content wise without paying a penny, however those that do pay will be able to achieve all of these things faster.

Originally posted by SlickShoes

It will indeed be free, I can only imagine it will follow the same sort of model as Tribes Ascend.

That model is:

The game is free to download and play, you play and gain XP and you can spend this XP on new weapons and armor etc

If you buy something from the item shop with real money your account is now VIP status, you gain 50% more XP per game now, so this lets you buy items and weapons faster and level up faster. You can also spend real money on these items to unlock them straight away.

There will be items that you can buy for real money that you cannot buy for ingame XP, these should all be cosmetic and should not affect gameplay.

So basically you can achieve everything in game content wise without paying a penny, however those that do pay will be able to achieve all of these things faster.

/sadface

Thanks for the info though.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

That model is:

/sadface

Thanks for the info though.

not entirely, while you can play the game for free, you will have to pay to unlock some of the features, like the stealth/hack series, pay to unlock.. up side though is that you probably won't find the LOL crowd running around invisible.. image

Originally posted by Phry
    find the LOL crowd running around invisible.. image

Trust me you can spot a LoL player miles away, even without cross faction chat !

TBH I'm pretty sure I'll give in to tempation regardless of the community, I had such a blast playing the first one, it'll be real hard to resist.

Here's hoping not too many of them roll Vanu...

Anyways back on topic. I'm playing a bit of Smite these days and I'm really surprised at how well it runs in terms of ping with the servers being in the states. You can barely feel the latency at all. Usually playing on NA servers from the EU feels sluggish and laggy but not in Smite. If SOE manage to pull off something similar, I'll surely play there instead of here regardless of how well the EU servers run.

• MalasorteMalasorte Member UncommonPosts: 56

this is the link about ProBienSat partnership

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/21/soe-opens-up-about-multi-year-european-partnership/

and while i dont completly trust SOE to actually give quality customer service i'm pretty sure EU servers will not get even that

so i'll prolly play on US server or if its IP blocked i wont play the game at all

• genjamie1genjamie1 Member Posts: 56

olthough they say that NOTHING i mean NOTHING will be a upgrade just a side grade for cusumizeacion purposis so i say YAY if yhis game ends up the way it should wich it WILL or i will be VERY angry! but i think itll be perfectly fine so :) oh yah and

GO NEW CONGLOMERATE!

To all the Americans who say that the EU shouldn't get servers for the "politically correct" reason that it splits the community:

Maybe it splits some of you, but I'd rather have lower pings and a higher likeliness of encountering people who speak my own language.

Most awesome thing would be if the servers were all global and some places on the world map would be hosted in Europe and some in the USA (and far east europe, asia, australia maybe?). And on maintenance days this would be redistributed. 

So the game is always global and there would always be the possibility of playing with your friends. And if you wanted lower ping? Go into a fight which is situated on a european server at this time.

(League of Legends, for example, should have totally done this)

• EpicineEpicine Member Posts: 8

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Wicoa

I believe SOE have signed a contract with Pro-bien sat to run the EU division for them.  I am not happy about this I do not think we will recieve the same level of service as I am yet to find a game run by a middle man to provide the same standard of service.  Also the last time I played PS1 the EU server was dead with most playing on the US.

I am currently asking myself the question since it is free to play, I dont have to fork out or find a shop willing to sell me the game.  I can simply load up and play, given the nature of planetside 2 it will be a 24 hour game which will have clans actively recruiting for night teams.

If you have information which proves me wrong and this contract deal has not happened for PS2 then please please show me.

Kind regards

Wic

Hi we had the same discussion in our guild forums about this anyhow.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-prosieben-responds-to-community-concerns-2690.htm

Nothing to worry about to be honest.

Also I just want to point out that MOST Euros get a better ping to USA servers than most americans do. In Britian lots and lots of the UK is covered by fiber optic lines me included I ping 85 - 90 to East Coast servers and 100 - 110 to Dallas I have ran game server in the past as I game with americans I had a Dallas based server and the amount of guild member based in the USA had worse pings than me most time. So ping is not an issue for me, hell I play Tribes Ascend on US server because I am used to the ping I suck on EU servers.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

If WoT is an indication of what sort of country's are going to join the community then iam going to USA 100% even with 200ms.

Free to play games atttract alot of balkan players who dont speak or dont want to speak english.

The game will be overhelmed like in WoT with those kind of players.

I have nothing against balkan players who speak english, i welcome you as brothers in arms, but for those other people who refuse to communicate in english they need their own server or this game goed down the drain.

Thats why i start on USA servers anyway, i can already see what will happen on 1st day of release.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Mothanos

If WoT is an indication of what sort of country's are going to join the community then iam going to USA 100% even with 200ms.

Free to play games atttract alot of balkan players who dont speak or dont want to speak english.

I have nothing against balkan players who speak english, i welcome you as brothers in arms, but for those other people who refuse to communicate in english they need their own server or this game goed down the drain.

Thats why i start on USA servers anyway, i can already see what will happen on 1st day of release.

This is also why I never ever play on EU servers. Even if the EU server is marked english you still get loads who do not speak it.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I began playing on Werner (EU) but quickly went to an US server and I probably will go to an US server this time from the start.

Assuming the server is located on the east coast so I get around 100ms.

US servers tend to have more players and I play a lot late in the evening when most europeans have already quit playing.

If that pro sieben thing also means we will get patches later, I will definatly play on US server or not play at all.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Woopin

This is also why I never ever play on EU servers. Even if the EU server is marked english you still get loads who do not speak it.

hopefully the penalty for friendly fire is pretty much the same as original planetside, at least, you do have the option of shooting said people, same side or no.. half the fun if you ask meimage

the latency issue is a big one though,  if the absolute best you can hope for is 90ms which is pretty high for an FPS, chances are with server overheads etc your probably going to be looking at least at latencies of 120 ms.. even with a decent cable connection and ISP,  anyone who doesnt have that much will probably get anything from 100 - 180 ms.. and if you live in the countryside as i do.. where cable is a dream that will never come true.. then your lucky to get even 200 ms.. which means you can pretty much forget bothering with USA based servers generally.. never mind just for FPS games..image

i have no clue who these probien people are or what kind of reputation they have.. problem is, if i want to play PS2.. i may not have a choice anyway..  except the basic avoidance one that is.. which isnt really much of a choice. image

• MalasorteMalasorte Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Woopin

hopefully the penalty for friendly fire is pretty much the same as original planetside, at least, you do have the option of shooting said people, same side or no.. half the fun if you ask meimage

the latency issue is a big one though,  if the absolute best you can hope for is 90ms which is pretty high for an FPS, chances are with server overheads etc your probably going to be looking at least at latencies of 120 ms.. even with a decent cable connection and ISP,  anyone who doesnt have that much will probably get anything from 100 - 180 ms.. and if you live in the countryside as i do.. where cable is a dream that will never come true.. then your lucky to get even 200 ms.. which means you can pretty much forget bothering with USA based servers generally.. never mind just for FPS games..image

i have no clue who these probien people are or what kind of reputation they have.. problem is, if i want to play PS2.. i may not have a choice anyway..  except the basic avoidance one that is.. which isnt really much of a choice. image

probiensat is alaplaya  ... and some of their games like LOCO and S4League had many many hackers at one point on each game so i quit it ... they managed to lower those hackers after a while so it might turn out ok even for the EU .. but i'll sure play on US first and see if pings are ok ... i have fibre optic cable and i get like 50-135 ms on US servers ... only for a game i had like 250 ms but it still played pretty great :D

i play BLR now while i wait to get to play PS2 and even the EU servers i dont think they are in EU area lol since i have 64 ms and on their US server i get 85-120 something like that ... and then it is War Inc Battlezone ... that has EU and US servers ... now the US server has 60+ a bit and the EU has 20-22 ms now if Planetside 2 US server will have like 120ms i'll play and see how it works out and if i dont like i'll prolly try the EU server .. hope the ms on US wont be very high :D

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

We can pretty much expect this company to screw up and not give us a proper service.

They have said on the PSU forums that if you at least won't be able to make an SOE account from Europe, not sure about logging in.  You may need a US vpn.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by NasherUK

We can pretty much expect this company to screw up and not give us a proper service.

They have said on the PSU forums that if you at least won't be able to make an SOE account from Europe, not sure about logging in.  You may need a US vpn.

if they do that i will bid farewell to this game

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

It's not clear to me how far the IP blocking will be used for SOE games. From what I've read so far, it sounds like existing players (i.e. EQ2, etc.) will "always" have the option to play on US servers, but NEW customers may well be IP blocked and therefore be restricted to EU servers.

I cannot see the logic in SOE allowing EU players to freely use their US servers. If a EU player is playing on a US server, then he will also be using Customer Service for that US server. That would mean that SOE ends up providing CS while AlaPlaya just rakes in the cash. Can't see that working for very long, tbh.

I'm very unhappy with this state of affairs. AlaPlaya runs a portfolio of cheap asian F2P games. I have serious doubts about their professionalism, but hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

Lastly, it's no longer possible for EU players to use the SOE "All Access" pass, which was actually a good deal if you played multiple SOE games (even casually). Apparently, a similar "All Access" deal will be offered by AlaPlaya, but I suspect that will be a good bit more expensive than the SOE deal.