Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait now ingame advertising?

Comments

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

I would totally agree with you OP if this was any other setting besides the real world, which to my understanding it is.  I think adverts will fit in nicely and give a sense of a real world. 

NOW if this were a fantasy game and we saw adverts in the tavern about Ye Old Cola or Ye Old Ipods then I wouldnt be very happy either.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by mrgrimrpr

It would be a different story if I was constantly bombarded with coca-cola ads and such, from billboards ingame. But optional free T-shirts promoting the video game forums I post on? I don't see the big deal.

It's really not. As long as they aren't accepting money for it.

What  difference does it make if they do get money for it, look at all those current mmos out there, they used to have add free sites, picking WoW as excample, they added a cash shop, the subscription fee didnt go down. their sit has adds now and it did not make an impact to the subscription fee (nor box prices) . Heck I know for a fact my TAX didnt go down now there are billboards all over the city and near some roads, my gas prices didnt go down now they use the recite to print commerials on.

I can go 1 step futher Id actually ENCOURAGE them to use ingame billboards to get RL adds on them, more money in their pockets is a great encouragement to keep investing into their product. As long as it doesnt interupt my gameplay Im perfectly fine with it, I welcome it, it gives the game a more realistic feel to it.

Honoustly people are just pulling straws trying to find new things to complain about.  Oh noes they may make money from their product. Seriously.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Originally posted by Lucrecia
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Its allways fun to see how people turn a good and fun idea intoo something negative..

I totally agree.  They had advertising in Anarchy Online and that did annoy me because the world of AO is not in the same setting as our current world so that Mountain Dew billboard made no sense.  What it DID do for AO though was amazing.  My organization was having a social event and I designed a billboard for it.  I then emailed Funcom's CM asking if it would be possible if they could use my art and put it INTO THE GAME.  They said "Yes".  Shortly after I sent it in I ran into a billbord that had my advertisement.  Funcom, at least at the Anarchy Online level, has an amazing relationship with their customers.  They wouldn't do this if they felt it wasn't going to be meant with approval by most of us. 

Also what the advertisement did in Anarchy Online, because some of the billboards were streaming video, was offer the opportunity to stream live concerts which it had done.  AO subscribers got to watch a free concert in game.  Again, the concert did not mesh well with the AO universe but in TSW...such a thing...awesome.

Very cool story,  how many other mmo companies would do this for their fans.  Very cool!

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Originally posted by Beyorn
    Originally posted by Lucrecia

Its allways fun to see how people turn a good and fun idea intoo something negative..

I totally agree.  They had advertising in Anarchy Online and that did annoy me because the world of AO is not in the same setting as our current world so that Mountain Dew billboard made no sense.  What it DID do for AO though was amazing.  My organization was having a social event and I designed a billboard for it.  I then emailed Funcom's CM asking if it would be possible if they could use my art and put it INTO THE GAME.  They said "Yes".  Shortly after I sent it in I ran into a billbord that had my advertisement.  Funcom, at least at the Anarchy Online level, has an amazing relationship with their customers.  They wouldn't do this if they felt it wasn't going to be meant with approval by most of us. 

Also what the advertisement did in Anarchy Online, because some of the billboards were streaming video, was offer the opportunity to stream live concerts which it had done.  AO subscribers got to watch a free concert in game.  Again, the concert did not mesh well with the AO universe but in TSW...such a thing...awesome.

Very cool story,  how many other mmo companies would do this for their fans.  Very cool!

Yeah...Sadly I don't have the screenshot or the art anymore...the site that held it all was closed.  Just checked my photobucket account to double check that indeed I was a dummy and never uploaded it...it was from the "Muscle Cars and Mids" event hosted by ~Society of Salvation~

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331

Thanks for the t-shirts

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by JuJutsu

Thanks for the t-shirts

+1

Thank you Jujutsu for understanding and mmorpg.com for the Tshirt

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I thought the t-shirt was cool and didn't even see it as an add, more a headnod to the community. I like the idea and have my code ready....

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

Exactly.  I don't understand anyone getting upset over that.  It seemed like a cool thing.  

Beside, of all the revenue types, in-game advertising bothers me the least.  I walk around all day seeing advertisements everywhere.  It would make perfect sense to see it in a game based in a modern setting.  It would seem totally out of place to see a Pepsi advert in a game like WoW, but it would make perfect sense to see it in a game like this.  I would much prefer it over the cash shop.

As for the MMORPG t-shirt, a complete non-issue.  In fact, thanks for the shirt, MMORPG. image

• dangledangle Member Posts: 74

If there's one game where mmorpg.com shirts make sense, it's this one... our characters have access to the internet, some of them are probably on mmorpg.com right now shitposting about GW2 while they're waiting to be played with. :P

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Can't see the problem with this to be honest. Companies need to make a profit to survive.

I pay a subscription to Sky TV, the channels have adverts, and there's video on demand charging per film. No different.

I'd only be concerned if things broke the game, or gave an unfair advantage.
  • keotsukeotsu Member Posts: 12

well i will say, when i was running through Rome in Anarchy Onine years ago, and when i got in range and i could hear before i saw a Whopper commercial sound before i saw the Burger King billboard, it was shoved in my face everytime i ran by the transport system. So seeing that sign in game i felt i had to quit. So i quit. after two years of playing i flat out quit. so if they can accept the loss of my sub for the advertising dollars they are gaining then more power to them. I love TSW, and as long as ads do not stop the game and stream a video advertisment in my face like HULU does then i can probably live with it. but a scrawl on a urinal wall wouldn't bother me.

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

I got the t-shirt, thanks, guys.  I'll be wearing it sometimes in game I'll be 'advertising' for MMORPG.com every once in while.  I hope that ruins the day of most of the negative posters in this thread. :D

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

In-game advertising on that small of a scale isn't really a big deal for me, it will be if it gets worse while the subscription is still up. It's insulting in principal, even if it works in the setting, but it's nbd.

My real issue is seeing that and wondering if that's why MMORPG.com seems to have a disproportionate amount of coverage for the game. Am I the only one noticing that on the front page?

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Originally posted by xenogias

Please MMORPG staff correct me if I am wrong.

But if I'm not, now you playing TSW are going to get quad-dipped. Box + monthly + CS + ingame advertisment?! I'm assuming MMORPG has paid for these to be in the game. I may be wrong and I'm sure a staff member will tell me if I am. Or maybe it was a trade, advert in TSW for the main advert on the site, which is no diffrent.

Seriously though. How far are gamers going to let crap like this happen? I get it, it doesnt bother some of you. To me TSW and Funcom are just becomming laughable.

You're talking about the MMORPG.com T-shirt?

I fail to see how that would offend anyone, since this site does not cost anything to view or join. And not like the shirt has any stats so no one actually needs it to do good in the game.

Besides, I think I heard them thinking about in-game advertising ages ago. It's a game set in the "real world" so it would make sense to have ads of real world stuff.

It's a very slippery slope tom.

But basically, If Funcom isn't doing this as a fan-service, and is actually planning to start accepting advertising money to put ads in game, then that is a very douschy business practice. Think of this:

The game has a full box price.

The game has a full subscription.

The game has a cash shop.

If the game is accepting ad revenue on top of this, then they are essentially raping their fans' wallets. By quadruple-dipping their business model, they have eliminate the need for half of their pricing to be there at all, and yet they still include it. It's basically a studio going 'we know people will buy this game, lets see how much money we can squeeze out of it'. That type of mentallity has never been good for a game (or the industry).

- Personally, I don't mind the MMORPG shirts. This site is mostly still a hobbyist site (though they do get money for sure). However, if Funcom is taking money for this, then say hello to corporate greed.

First I'd like to say I enjoyed the post. Not bashing it or anything but how I sorta look how you put it

I own a company, and I want to be rich.. just not TOO rich. I would think that would be bad business since. If it was MY company, I'd want all the cash money I could get from the YEARS of work and not being at home with my family time I could get, go me hehe. :) 

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

In this game I have absolutely no problem with something like a logo on a T-shirt or a Diet Dr. Pepper skin on a can of pop or the Nike Swoosh on my shoes.  I'd love for my character to be able to wear a Chicago Cubs baseball hat.  TSW is the "secret reality" of our own world, so anything that could be found in our world makes sense in the game IMO and is arguably more immersive than the traditional imaginary brand alternative.

It's not something I'd ever like to see a developer design a game around of course, but if after the fact it fits with what a game like TSW is already doing then sure.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Well, actually if done right, the setting really allows for ingame advertisement without breaking immersion. But only if they dont use it to much.

T shirts and such would be great.... and imagine Adidas paying them to make some Adidas gear, or nike shoes, or a single billboard in one zone with a Coka Cola advertisement. 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Originally posted by Bjelar

Anything that provides money for further development of the game I'm playing is a good thing in my book.

Are you guys really happy with one small expansion annually? You obviously don't want your games to be profitable. How odd.

actually i'd rather not have to pay for expansions considering im already paying for them with my monthly sub.

You need to learn the difference between playing a fantasy game and living in a fantasy world.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by fivoroth

IF they are having active advertising in the game, that's just wrong. I can understand this in a F2P game but definitely not in a P2P game with a cash shop.

A MMORPG.com advert, while you guys might not mind it, people who don't come to this website will see it as just another advert. 

IT would be quite hilarious if there are Coca Cola, McDonalds, Duracell etc. adverts in your MMO. 

Actually it would be immersion breaking if I would not see advertising in a game set in the `real world`

Think some people are just caught up in this fantasy settings where it´s understandable not to have real to live advertising as obviously I wouldn´t want to see coca cola ads or McDonald ads in games like EQ, Vanguard, Wow ect.... but in a MMO that in a way refelct the real world as siad it would be wierd not seeing them as else it will not reflect the real world.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

In-game advertising on that small of a scale isn't really a big deal for me, it will be if it gets worse while the subscription is still up. It's insulting in principal, even if it works in the setting, but it's nbd.

My real issue is seeing that and wondering if that's why MMORPG.com seems to have a disproportionate amount of coverage for the game. Am I the only one noticing that on the front page?

Same thing happened with SWTOR and TERA and same will happen with GW2. How is this sucha  big deal with people?

Does anybody know the meaning of business, which is what video games are?

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

Dang yeah i want to see kids delivering pizza with Domino caps and such . That kinda stuff is what makes this kinda game feel more real

• FlirtFlirt Member Posts: 44

In this type of game advertising fits as long as its done tastefully.

T-shirts are great way to do it as you wear it if you want to promote that label or company. Why not?

AND it's a great way for Funcom to make money and keep the game alive longer. Go for it :D

Now I just wait they add 'mounts' ie motorcycles and they are RL replicas or something and deals with those brands lol

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999

I've just got one thing to say to this topic.. trolls are gonna troll, don't feed them.

imageimage

• FuerchtegottFuerchtegott Member Posts: 79

A company needs to maximize its profits. If they can do it with box sales, subscription fees, item shop and ad money they should obviously do it.

They should even go one step further: Imagine you step in a ingame Domino's pizza restaurant and order a pizza ingame, then you should have the option to have this pizza delivered in RL to you by the closest located Domino's pizza. Funcom could get a small percentage from every order. One could extend that not only to Pizza: add in grocery stores, collaborate with large market chains and when you go for groceries ingame, you get a real life delivery.

I can even imagine some sort of ingame TV watching feature with actual TV shows! Imagine watching Game of Thrones or True Blood ingame, of course interrupted by commercial breaks, during which you hop into some quick werewolf hunting, lol.

Since TSW is set in the real world there is no end to this and adds to the immersion factor of the game. The only critical point I see here is that the boundaries of what is real and what fictional blur which might pose a psychological problem for a few individuals.

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155
    Originally posted by Fuerchtegott

A company needs to maximize its profits. If they can do it with box sales, subscription fees, item shop and ad money they should obviously do it.

They should even go one step further: Imagine you step in a ingame Domino's pizza restaurant and order a pizza ingame, then you should have the option to have this pizza delivered in RL to you by the closest located Domino's pizza. Funcom could get a small percentage from every order. One could extend that not only to Pizza: add in grocery stores, collaborate with large market chains and when you go for groceries ingame, you get a real life delivery.

I can even imagine some sort of ingame TV watching feature with actual TV shows! Imagine watching Game of Thrones or True Blood ingame, of course interrupted by commercial breaks, during which you hop into some quick werewolf hunting, lol.

Since TSW is set in the real world there is no end to this and adds to the immersion factor of the game. The only critical point I see here is that the boundaries of what is real and what fictional blur which might pose a psychological problem for a few individuals.

Somebody read Ready Player One.  ;)

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Urvan

I've just got one thing to say to this topic.. trolls are gonna troll, don't feed them.

but... but... but what am i supposed to do with all those red herings!?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"