Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Predict the score The Secret World will get.

Comments

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by tank017

as is it should get a 6.5 -7 at most...much like TOR

but yes,it will be getting much more generous numbers than that.

ToR got an 8.7

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/reviews/load/178/The-Official-SWTOR-Review.html

.. But in a good way.

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

this game is very love it or hate it. TSW generates less ambivalence than almost any game released in years. (some people will say "meh" about anything, however).

some reviewers will love it despite some mechanical issues and score it between 8 and 9.

some reviewers will bash it because of poor combat animations, limited character creation, and the other things mentioned in a million posts. those in this group will still score it no lower than 6 because they admire the different setting and ambition to try anything a little different.

my personal score is about 8.5 in it's current form, and i think MMORPG will score it similarly.

hazarding a guess, the average player score will be close to 7 after a couple of months.

it will simply not appeal to (or flat-out turn off) many players used to more traditional fantasy settings and gameplay mechanics.

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

Higher than the whole point of this thread...doesn't say much though!

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

The rating will be largely dependant on each player's perspective.

Players who're looking for a good leveling experience/story/unique setting would rate this game arund 8-9.

Players who are looking for competitive PvP/hard core end-game raiding would rate this a 6-7.

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180

the only score that's important to me is the one i give. also lol at the EA comment.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

If you're talking abut the official review, from one of the staff writers, it will be 8 - 8.5 most likely. We no longer get truthfull, impartial reviews when the game is published by someone the size of EA for fear of being frozen out of future releases.

Based on my BWE experiences, I'd give it a 6.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by 9reesracer9

some reviewers will bash it because of poor combat animations, limited character creation, and the other things mentioned in a million posts ....

Nope, reviewers normally review the actual game, not second handed memes from BW1. A lot of "players" who don't play will bash it for those reasons, because they've read that combat and animations are bad, or they played in BW1.

Reality is that TSW clearly isn't for everyone. They don't even try. Millions of players will not like it one bit. Perhaps there will still be millions who like it a lot. Time will tell.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

9, because the concept of "foresight" does not exist in the world of game reviews.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Only thing I will predict is me playing when it goes live...

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465

It will get an 8 or above,it will deserve a 6.5 at best,it will follow pretty much the same path as tor.And they will move on to hyping the next train wreck when they realize how big a hit their "credibility" takes talking it up.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by DaezAster

I also predict five weeks with nothing but haters on these forums, because everyone else will be way too busy playing.. :)

• BaffleBaffle Member Posts: 14

Sadly there's people who actually select games based score. Sites like metacritic actually do affect sales numbers.

Score for MMOs is almost pointless. It's a matter of taste.. and longevity / endgame will also have a huge impact. 1-3 months after launch will pretty much reveal all this. What ends up being a healthy population is quite individual. It all depends on the total developement cost. I know swtor was *quite* expensive to make. I would imagine TSW being a lot cheaper considering they actually had a core engine to work on. Also, most people who play AoC know that this game was "beta" for some TSW tech over the last two years. (Both good and bad)

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

MMORPG gave SWTOR an 8.7 and since TSW is SWTOR with fewer quest options and bad combat and a different seting then I say the MMORPG T shirt may make up the difference and TSW will get an 8.7.

I give it a 6 for being a SWTOR clone with worse combat, fewer zones and settings as are only 3 areas and 8 zones, less endgame, poor combat, game mechanics that have not been fleshed out by developers like the skill wheel, the world of warcraft combat mechanic. No longevity as there are no raids.  PvP is killed by only PvE servers and bad combat but if there are faction imbalances like dragons in beta then is game braking.  90 % of quest are just like any game, go sabotage this, kill those npcs, or pick up that.  Unlike mmos with voice acting, TSW;s cutsceens often times have little to do with the quest you are doing IE some babling about chess or some random NPC interaction, when you get 4 stages of killing random NPCs. Feels like a single player RPG ala SWTOR.

10% of the quest are good, modern setting.

Originally posted by tares

MMORPG gave SWTOR an 8.7 and since TSW is SWTOR with fewer quest options and bad combat and a different seting then I say the MMORPG T shirt may make up the difference and TSW will get an 8.7.

I give it a 6 for being a SWTOR clone with worse combat, fewer zones and settings as are only 3 areas and 8 zones, less endgame, poor combat, game mechanics that have not been fleshed out by developers like the skill wheel, the world of warcraft combat mechanic. No longevity as there are no raids.  PvP is killed by only PvE servers and bad combat but if there are faction imbalances like dragons in beta then is game braking.  90 % of quest are just like any game, go sabotage this, kill those npcs, or pick up that.  Unlike mmos with voice acting, TSW;s cutsceens often times have little to do with the quest you are doing IE some babling about chess or some random NPC interaction, when you get 4 stages of killing random NPCs. Feels like a single player RPG ala SWTOR.

10% of the quest are good, modern setting.

That's a new one from the negative crowd.

.. But in a good way.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

lol@swtor clone

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• EvokerzEvokerz Member UncommonPosts: 37

In MMORPG no matter how good and popular the game is, the score will never get higher than SWTOR.

/sarcasm off

• BaffleBaffle Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Krytycal

The rating will be largely dependant on each player's perspective.

Players who're looking for a good leveling experience/story/unique setting would rate this game arund 8-9.

Players who are looking for competitive PvP/hard core end-game raiding would rate this a 6-7.

I would actually agree with this one based on what's there at launch. It will be interresting to see how the game evolves in the next 6 monts - 1 year. This is crucial for any MMO. It's really bad when time is spent doing the wrong things.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

8-9 because thats what everything with a smitten of a budget gets.

We have not seen a below average game from a AAA complay in YEARSif you believe the reviews... In fact they have all been above average.

-There is no intergrity in Gaming reviews =(

(not to say TSW wont be worth an 8-9...It might...But it doesnt matter, thats what it will get)

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by Blacknd

I give it a 6 for being a SWTOR clone with

Not really, it is a single player story driven RPG with fewer group instances, fewer raids, and generic PvP options.  Big war area like Illum or WoW's alterac valley but the other two PvP zones were well below average. In SWTOR you would finish your main story, play a bit and cancel, or roll an alt or the other faction for a new story and then quit. Hence the story based MMO sameness.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by tank017

as is it should get a 6.5 -7 at most...much like TOR

but yes,it will be getting much more generous numbers than that.

ToR got an 8.7

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/reviews/load/178/The-Official-SWTOR-Review.html

yes i know,Im saying ToR should have also gotten about a 6-6.5 at most.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Not really, it is a single player story driven RPG with fewer group instances, fewer raids, and generic PvP options.  Big war area like Illum or WoW's alterac valley but the other two PvP zones were well below average. In SWTOR you would finish your main story, play a bit and cancel, or roll an alt or the other faction for a new story and then quit. Hence the story based MMO sameness.

Don't forget universal cooldowns.

You'd think they would have gotten a clue after the Warhammer fiasco.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I won't score it until about a solid month of playing ... as any review should be. Even then longevity ultimately is the most important factor in mmo review.

As for the 2-4 day wonder reviewers here ... I score them a solid 3.5/10 ... including the extra 1.5 thrown in simply because they managed to throw together a few coherent words of original thought from time to time. It's hard reading reviews from people who have no clue what they want in a game yet expect any game they play to fullfill every shortcoming in their life and their over generalized reviews reflect this.

"It sucks", "falls short", "fails" and many other Rhodes Scholar level explanations contribute so much to these reviews.

You stay sassy!

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Bjelar
    Originally posted by DaezAster

I also predict five weeks with nothing but haters on these forums, because everyone else will be way too busy playing.. :)

well...

the haters were right about ToR..

as far as TSW goes,my bet would go with the haters as well.

just sayin.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Personally i think SWTOR will end up for me just like TSW did, fun to play for some time, and then i will move on. Its a nice setting, and the story feels enthralling.

So an 8.7 would be a nice thing.  But only if GW2 ends up with 9.5 or higher.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

So your entire basis for calling it a SWTOR clone is that both games put a much heavier emphasis on story than the average MMORPG. That's essentially the only thing these two games have in common that they don't typically share with other MMOs.

It ignores the class system, talent system, level system, the fact that SWToR has systems in place that encourages alts while TSW discourages it just a bit less than FFXI.

Methinks you tried too hard to sum it up into a sensationalist little quip. 

.. But in a good way.

This discussion has been closed.