Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New CC Confirmed by Ragnar... just not by launch:(

AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

here's the post he made about the changes to CC

Hi all,

Until yesterday, the hottest topic on these boards was character creation and character customisation. It's something we've been getting a lot of questions and comments about, and we've answered that we have plans to expand upon this post-launch.

Today, I'd like to share some of those plans with you. Keep in mind that we just started working on these features, and they may change. Our tentative delivery date may also change -- it's the nature of game development -- but we wanted to share some target dates with you, so that you have something concrete to look forward to.

With that out of the way, let's get started: 

PLASTIC SURGERY, OR THE MODERN PROMETHEUS

In a nondescript building in Brooklyn, a high-tech facility contains the weird science of Dr. Aldini -- a pioneer in paraplastic surgery: a method to shape living flesh into any form. For the right price. (Cue maniacal laughter.)

Players will be able to visit The Modern Prometheus to get a TOTAL makeover. From head to, well, head. Whatever you want: a new nose, a tweaked chin, a nip and a tuck to the eyes or the hairline, removing or adding some wrinkles or freckles -- you can adjust your appearance or you can become a whole new person. The only thing you CAN'T do under Dr. Aldini's assortment of distressingly rusty knives is change gender...although the good doctor is working on some experimental concoctions for that particular 'problem' as well.

At Dr. Aldini, the first 'consultation' is always free, but anything after that is going to cost -- and the doctor prefers PAX. Where he buys his arcane supplies, the U.S. dollar holds little sway.

To support The Modern Prometheus in its gross 'science', we will be adding a lot of new base heads and nose, eye, chin and mouth modifications to choose from. There will be more variety across the board, more opportunities to look unique, more choices to make before you give the thumbs up to Aldini and his depraved assistants.

"Close your eyes, sweet. This WILL hurt."

OCKHAM'S RAZOR

Situated on the border between Ealdwic and Darkside, this ancient London establishment is known for its skill and dedication to the fine craft of shearing, shaving, cropping and, well, replacing heads of hair. And, also, unfortunately, the occasional head. (No money back.)

The ageing triplets Ockham who operate this venerable establishment can offer anything from a simple dye job -- perhaps it's time to wash out that neon red colour, seeing as you're moving up in the Illuminati ranks -- to that most miraculous of haircuts: the Reversal, where your Templars-issue crew cut transforms into flowing, curly locks. The bald can finally feel the wind blowing through their hair; the shaggy can finally stop blow-drying every morning.

As with The Modern Prometheus, the first visit is gratis, but the triplets are in the business of doing business, and PAX is their aphrodisiac. To look fashionable, and to sport the latest in couture you'll need to earn some coins from your secret society before sitting down in that chair.

Ockham's Razor will receive a variety of new hair styles and eyebrow shapes to choose from, in all the colours of the rainbow. Men will also find a fresh assortment of facial hair, from the friendly muttonchops to new and exciting varieties of the trusted soul patch -- and some really EPIC moustaches. Yes, now you too can sport the Magnum P.I. and have ALL the ladies.

Finally, there is:

EXECUTION

which is relocating from its grubby London locales to fresh new digs in Seoul, and can offer an extensive and pleasurably painful variety of tattoos, scars and other body modifications.

Want your own personal Book of Blood? Done. But more on the Hellraiseresque activities of Execution's fine artisans at a later point.

So when is all this coming?

Our current target for The Modern Prometheus and Ockham's Razor is the end of August -- Execution is a bit further down the line. We'll be working hard to deliver on that, although since we also want to offer as much quality and variety as possible, the delivery date might change. We'll keep you updated as we go along, and we'll offer a preview and some screenshots and videos when the time is right. You'll also see some construction activities in London, New York and Seoul as we start building these locations. And as with everything in The Secret World, there will be stories to go with it...

We have always planned on offering further character customisation down the line, and since The Secret World encourages sticking with one character for a very long time, we didn't want players to feel 'stuck' with how their avatars look. In light of recent discussions about character creation, however, we decided to prioritise and push these features into development a lot sooner -- which benefits all of you. And me. Since I REALLY want the Magnum P.I.

Feel free to discuss these features and to offer your comments and ideas in this thread. We are, as always, listening, and though we cannot fulfil all wishes, we can at least hear what you guys think, and take that into account.

Have fun playing tomorrow, and I'll see you in game!

Cheers,

Ragnar

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Comments

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

This is a big plus for TSW, just hope it's not one of those slated changes in the range of a SWTOR 1.2 Patch. Meaning coming out days or even hours before something to release to state that its not ready.

MOAR hairstyles.. moar hairstyles.. moar hairstyles.. plz..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

At least they are listening to people... already.  Contrast this with Bioware.

This game has a lot of potential, and I think Ragnar's team will address the community's *valid* issues post-launch. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Mm. I liek.

Curious about how they'll go about adding body mods considering this IS the real world it's modeled after

.. But in a good way.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

here's the post he made about the changes to CC

At Dr. Aldini, the first 'consultation' is always free, but anything after that is going to cost -- and the doctor prefers PAX. Where he buys his arcane supplies, the U.S. dollar holds little sway.

Cheers,

Ragnar

That shoud shut the trolls and bashers down, its not a cash store feature.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Glad to hear they added this! Indeed a good feature.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I thought this was going to be about a new, crowd control deck or something similar.

Damn you younglings and your thieving of established acronyms!

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I love how they are incorporating it into the game world with flavor npcs and a little backstory. Couldve been an easy way out with just updating the CC over time or adding all of this to a cash shop. Well done, Funcom!

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by DannyGlover

I love how they are incorporating it into the game world with flavor npcs and a little backstory. Couldve been an easy way out with just updating the CC over time or adding all of this to a cash shop. Well done, Funcom!

Was thinking the same thing.

• DarquegrynDarquegryn Member Posts: 10

Where did you see this?  I looked all over and wanted to re-post to my Cabal!

I know how things are and wanted it straight from the horses mouth. :)

NM!  I see it now!  Weeee!

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Hi all,

Until yesterday, the hottest topic on these boards was character creation and character customisation. It's something we've been getting a lot of questions and comments about, and we've answered that we have plans to expand upon this post-launch.

Today, I'd like to share some of those plans with you. Keep in mind that we just started working on these features, and they may change. Our tentative delivery date may also change -- it's the nature of game development -- but we wanted to share some target dates with you, so that you have something concrete to look forward to.

At least they're right on top of things right.

I mean, there's listening to the community, and there's getting the community to stfu, hopefully.

Funtimes with Funcom.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Deathofsage
    Hi all,

I mean, there's listening to the community, and there's getting the community to stfu, hopefully.

Funtimes with Funcom.

why would the community STFU? if no one complained about the CC we wouldn't have them working on this.. Maybe it was planned for down the line, maybe not but now at least it seems higher on their priority list. Obviously some people thought the CC was fine but a lot of us didn't. Glad they recognized it was a much talked about item and they are addressing it,

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Wow, this is great news! So glad to hear. 

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

At the very least they could add more hairstyles and make it part of the dressing room.  Or make the current hairstyles not suck.  Most of the hairstyles are outright hideous.  Looks like their hair was cut by a blind monkey. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
    Hi all,

Funtimes with Funcom.

why would the community STFU? if no one complained about the CC we wouldn't have them working on this.. Maybe it was planned for down the line, maybe not but now at least it seems higher on their priority list. Obviously some people thought the CC was fine but a lot of us didn't. Glad they recognized it was a much talked about item and they are addressing it,

My point was, that by promising a new CC (finally), they hope the community will stop bringing it up.

They say it's been the hottest topic (and surely, it has), but they're only now acting on it.

CBT has been going on since December.. and apparently AoC had a great CC, so they had a great template, if the code couldn't/shouldn't be copied directly, with new options.

It's just more of the same procrastinating attitude that most devs are showing lately.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

My point was, that by promising a new CC (finally), they hope the community will stop bringing it up.

They say it's been the hottest topic (and surely, it has), but they're only now acting on it.

CBT has been going on since December.. and apparently AoC had a great CC, so they had a great template, if the code couldn't/shouldn't be copied directly, with new options.

It's just more of the same procrastinating attitude that most devs are showing lately.

I knew it wouldn't be long before the "glass half empty" crowd showed up.

.. But in a good way.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Hmmm... more is always better, so it's good news.

But I have to wonder: "If these features were planned for much later, but have now been brought forward, which planned features did this displace ?" image

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180

hopefully they'll start working on this and quit worrying about 2-3 people not liking the RP dimension name.

Originally posted by Blacknd

I knew it wouldn't be long before the "glass half empty" crowd showed up.

Don't worry! Funcom will be by to fill the glass in a few weeks!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Hi all,

Funtimes with Funcom.

I see what you are saying.. oh also AoC didn't have great CC it was ok but was still better than what we got in this game.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269
    Hi all,

Funtimes with Funcom.

Yeah developers and designers go out of their way to incorporate new features into a game to make their community shut up.  Sounds legit.

Aaaaaannnnyyywaaaaaays....I am happy with this.  I agree with Mr. Danny Glover, glad they are adding a little backstory to it.  The lore, ARG's, all the backstory with this game is really growing on me.

I see what you are saying.. oh also AoC didn't have great CC it was ok but was still better than what we got in this game.

Perhaps it was AO? I never ever played AO at all and briefly played AoC. I can't remember what the character creator in that game was like but a lot of people have praise for it. Maybe they consider it good, or maybe they, like you, consider it better than TSW's?

I don't know about the last two games, but I do know what everyone else does: TSW's is pretty lackluster.

Originally posted by Worstluck
    Hi all,

Funtimes with Funcom.

Yeah developers and designers go out of their way to incorporate new features into a game to make their community shut up.  Sounds legit.

Aaaaaannnnyyywaaaaaays....I am happy with this.  I agree with Mr. Danny Glover, glad they are adding a little backstory to it.  The lore, ARG's, all the backstory with this game is really growing on me.

Not fully shutup, but shutup on a particular topic, and developers DO do that all the time. That very thing is what leads to PVP 'balance' for example.

Sure they want them talking, but they want them praising ideas, like TSW's questing, and not complaining but the character creation is second-rate.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Perhaps it was AO? I never ever played AO at all and briefly played AoC. I can't remember what the character creator in that game was like but a lot of people have praise for it. Maybe they consider it good, or maybe they, like you, consider it better than TSW's?

I don't know about the last two games, but I do know what everyone else does: TSW's is pretty lackluster.

Lmao

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180

awe dang, I didn't know. Is it too late to cancel my pre-order?

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Lmao

Just pointing something out.. look at the mmo's he played..makes his statement kinna funny.