Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New blog: Single Server Technology info

Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

Seriously, people who wonder about the their server tech should read this now:

http://thesecretworld.com/news/blog_single_server_technology_in_the_secret_world

Gives alot of good answers to alot of important questions that players might have.

"..It also means that when you put an item up for sale in the marketplace, every single person, across all dimensions, in The Secret World will be able to see it. More buyers and more sellers create a nice and healthy economy. .."

"The next posts will be about GUI modding (yeah, that's right!) and the last one about the mind blowing rendering features we've put into the game."

Comments

• dreambrotherdreambrother Member Posts: 1
    i like the idea of one server but the economy of diablo3 is "nice and healthy"now is it?
  • KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270
    Originally posted by dreambrother
    i like the idea of one server but the economy of diablo3 is "nice and healthy"now is it?

Huh??

1 post, and this is it?

You did see the game here right? TSW....not D3......

Nice Blog by the way, nice setup. Hoping it works half as good as this guy wrote it would. I'll give it a chance before I pass judgement.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• AlusciaAluscia Member UncommonPosts: 39

It was a great read. It's especially cool that your name will be unique across ALL dimensions... although it'll make the xXxCloudStrifexXx stuff even more obnoxious...  Yay for having "unique" names for my characters?

I also like that they made the persistent warzones dimension-specific. That annoying troll in Kingsmouth general says he's going to go to Fusang? Join up and get your friends and roll him into the dirt (unless he's in your faction.... then maybe back off and let the other faction guys kill him). Sounds like lots of fun and healthy drama waiting to unfold.

Colour me interested!

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Oh god, finally some fresh air technology in the genre. I was afraid this genre will get stuck forever in the system of releasing 200 servers at first and then merging them into 5 half a year ago . Single server technology in any way or form is the way to go. Single auction hall, single cabals/guilds, group with anyone, YES PLEASE!

REALITY CHECK

• FaulknerFaulkner Member UncommonPosts: 108

Read the Article:  http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/blog_single_server_technology_in_the_secret_world

Very good break down in the article and that is very cool indeed. 

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by Thillian

Oh god, finally some fresh air technology in the genre. I was afraid this genre will get stuck forever in the system of releasing 200 servers at first and then merging them into 5 half a year ago . Single server technology in any way or form is the way to go. Single auction hall, single cabals/guilds, group with anyone, YES PLEASE!

Isn't that EVE?

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Those things sound very good on a paper.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Thillian

The terminology is different, but this is almost exactly the way Guild Wars 2 server structure is designed. Home server only limits where you fight in the massive form of PvP. The difference being that in GW2 you fight against other servers, rather than other factions. Players can freely visit other servers/shards/dimensions to play with friends. The economy is shared across servers, as is name space.

I think the only big difference is scope and scale. It looks like GW2 will need over 100 shards/dimensions at launch, even with a much bigger game world and "overflow servers" to prevent early game overcrowding.

I hope other games in the future will adopt similar server structures. It's better for players and I'm sure more efficient for the developers as well.

I think the biggest news for me in the blog post was the shared AH. I was beginning to wonder if there would be any AH at launch. I wish there were more details on that, but I guess we'll find out Friday. :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

I think that it is a very good thing. I don't know how many times, in previous games, I have rerolled to play with friends on other servers, or ended up on an empty server  where thw only options were to reroll on a more populated server, or pay for a server transfer.  I think this will be great.

We might see a lot more questionable names though: Weird spellings, numbers, extra letters, etc...  Picking on that was unique to the server was often hard enough, finding one unique to the game will be very challenging.

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227

This game will not die from empty server syndrome, that's good to hear, especially considered my last experience ("we still have 1,3M subs!" - "hundreds of servers" ... that one).

Anyone knows if it may be possible to, let's say join your cabal's main server if it is different from your own?

I support the idea of creating a pvp comunity within the server, but a quick (and free) relocation now and than may help a long way.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by thexrated

Those things sound very good on a paper.

more than sound good on paper.  reality.  I experienced it myself for over a month and it works and it's awesome.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

So it's kind of like GW2, STO and CO? Then it's a step in the right direction. The whole 200 separate servers is an outdated concept. This approach to servers allows for more flexibility when they'll have to scale the amount of servers after launch. Since everyone has a unique name, server mergers will be painless.