Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How stupid.... don't consider students?

Comments

• KillerhamKillerham Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by Cromica
    Originally posted by Killerham

I think OP has a point. There are tons and tons of college students all around the country, quite a bit of them are gamers. Whats wrong with maneuvering the release date to best receive the $$ from these potential customers? What probably really happened is they could not make a pre-summer release date.

But all the trolls are just being D-bags and dont really care for a debate. Have not logged on for like a year ... only logged on to just  let everyone know this.... your all jerks.

Most college students I know are retarded and spend there loans on things that don't pertain to school, so I am sure there will be some that do that with GW2.

GW2 is a game of skill not having the option to play 24/7 the first month will not cause you to be underpowered and get slughtered in the game.

I was talking about this from a business point of view. The truth of the matter is, more people would buy it if it conveniences them more at the time of release. Since it would inconveniance many (smart, grade-caring) students in the U.S at the time of release they are probably losing a bit of $$ there. Though I'm sure its a miniscule amount compared to the entire market they are hitting, they would have a better launch day in terms of income if they had only released a few weeks earlier.

But of course, from our standpoint the release during late august is probably better. We dont want a glitchy product ;)

• cmoore52290cmoore52290 Member Posts: 3

Lol so stupid.. i will be in graduate school, and theres no way I wont be playing.  Time management people.  Not to mention try working a 40 hour week, much harder than school.  Quit crying OP

• BoneflowerBoneflower Member Posts: 91

Clearly the original poster is not aware of the fact that the average age of gamers today is in the mid-30s. Most of us are well past our college days, dear.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

OP is confusing college with Boy's State and FBLA camp...

• Spartan212Spartan212 Member Posts: 55

So the adults go to work, come home, play the game

The students go to school, come home, play the game

I fail to see the issue.  I had a ton of free time in college.  It's not like you're studying all day/every day

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

The rest of us have to goto work every day, and you dont hear us complaining about them releasing on a workday do you? 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by stragen001

The rest of us have to goto work every day, and you dont hear us complaining about them releasing on a workday do you? 

I wouldnt complain but ironic enough they did pick a day Im off from work :P

Thank you arenanet for that =)

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

For me, this is the perfect time to release this game. It will be a few days after I get home from the seaside, and a whole month or so before school starts. I'm 18 and just enrolled at college, but I'm not worried at all. I can't understand how someone can't manage their time to do all they need and want to do... Ofc, I'm reffering to people who have the possibility to organize their time as they wish, and are not forced by some circumstances in life, not to be taken wrougfully here.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by bwinthehouse

Wow, I forgot that my audience here was bitter unemployed college grads who can player this game any time of the year because they do not have a job. I speak for the majority and younger part of the community when I say that this release date is horrible. How did they chose this one in the board room? Did they not consider that a majority of their buyers would be extremely stressed out with starting school again? Such a bad business move, they should have considered the happiness of the majority. 

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

To clear a few things up, the game releases world wide and the students in the US do not equal the majority of gamers and most likely never will. It's nice that you think you're special but one of the first things you will learn when you graduate is that you are not and the honest truth is that if everyone was then no one is... here's a nice commencement speech to put it in perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lfxYhtf8o4

With that said the numbers tend to show that most online gamers are 25-40 years of age (google it), I doubt many of them are still in high-school though some might be furthering their education via other means. So no you are not part of the majority and there is a good possiblity that Arena Net thought of that when it come to their release date because the simple fact is the majority that you claim will still buy the game even if it doesn't release when they want it to.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

If any student decided to not get this game just because they can't be all that active the first few days, then they shouldn't get the game at all, period.

In the great world of online games, the social glory of gaming, the amount of selfish people who can't think of anyone but themselves is amazing. "I" get hurt by this so change it for "me"! If they had shipped it during the summer, we would have seen thousands of angry people who can't play because they are on vacation trips around the world..

Remember that bwe that took place at the start of the Euro Soccercup? People crying all over the forums. Then there was another event that crashed with a certain holliday somewhere in the world. The list can be made longer but if you don't get it by now, you never will.

If companies considered every real-life obstruction into the release of their games, we would never get any games released, at all!

Now chill, whenever "you" have the time to play after the 28th of august, the game will be there

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

The average age of gamers is 35 years old.

Therefore 90%+ of customers are not students - therefore the ops concerns are unimportant.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Unshra

Wow, I forgot that my audience here was bitter unemployed college grads who can player this game any time of the year because they do not have a job. I speak for the majority and younger part of the community when I say that this release date is horrible. How did they chose this one in the board room? Did they not consider that a majority of their buyers would be extremely stressed out with starting school again? Such a bad business move, they should have considered the happiness of the majority. 

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

To clear a few things up, the game releases world wide and the students in the US do not equal the majority of gamers and most likely never will. It's nice that you think you're special but one of the first things you will learn when you graduate is that you are not and the honest truth is that if everyone was then no one is... here's a nice commencement speech to put it in perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lfxYhtf8o4

With that said the numbers tend to show that most online gamers are 25-40 years of age (google it), I doubt many of them are still in high-school though some might be furthering their education via other means. So no you are not part of the majority and there is a good possiblity that Arena Net thought of that when it come to their release date because the simple fact is the majority that you claim will still buy the game even if it doesn't release when they want it to.

I fully agree with you, it would be a REAL bad thing if they are 25-40 and still in high school.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

The attitudes of some people in this thread amuse me.  College is not supposed to be the best time of your life.  It's the time where you hold your nose to the grindstone, earn high marks, and get your degree, so that you can get a good job and be financially secure for the rest of your life.  Of course, greedy corporate America and our lacking higher educational system are turning that dream into a nightmare, but that's for a different thread.

I guess the currrent state of the economy hit those of us here pretty hard and you're all working two jobs or 70 hour work weeks, unable to simply work from 9-5 then go home and watch American Idol and re-runs of Everybody Loves Raymond all night while moaning about how tired you are.

or then again, maybe that's exactly what you're doing.  I doubt many of you ever put forth real effort in college like 90% of the students I know.  I can imagine life after school would be a shock.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Another one? I see our future is not bright with the current minds going through school.

• ZenonSethZenonSeth Member Posts: 128

How stupid.... don't consider students?

Everyone is busy with something, it's called life. Stop insulting the people who work hard to bring a good game.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568
    Originally posted by Vortigon

Therefore 90%+ of customers are not students - therefore the ops concerns are unimportant.

funny how alot of gamers ive seen dont really act like there 35 years old though

• Chile267Chile267 Member UncommonPosts: 141
    F stundents! Work it into your schedule. Welcome to the real world. Around your school schedule.
  • xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

funny how alot of gamers ive seen dont really act like there 35 years old though

THIS.

I dont think you guys should be proud when one says the averahe age of a gamer is 30+ years. MMO communites are terrible, troll-like, QQ, Rant,etc....You "mature" adults got to stop arguing with a person that is 15+ years younger than you, grow up.

PS- look at the post above me lol, exactly proves my point

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

This launch date is horrible. It is right when the bulk of the gaming community is going to college, highschool, graduate school etc... I do not understand games that do not set up their release dates with well know college breaks and vacations. I am just disappointed because I wanted to grind this game out before I went to college, not during my first couple of days at the school were I might not even be set up to play yet. ARGH!!! This whole summer, there has not been one good game....

Just remember its not always about you.  That is part of the problem with todays society IMO.  Just remember though you may think College students make up the bulk of "your" gaming friends, middle aged married professionals make up mine.  So when people say Aug is a horrible time frame to release for you, I say Nov (when most games are released to capture that holiday crowd) is horrible for me so for once I am happy that I get to play a release and take a week off work in normal vacation hours and not have to worry about dipping into my holiday money or time.  Like the old saying goes, one mans junk is another mans treasure sorta pertains to all things.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

This launch date is horrible. It is right when the bulk of the gaming community is going to college, highschool, graduate school etc... I do not understand games that do not set up their release dates with well know college breaks and vacations. I am just disappointed because I wanted to grind this game out before I went to college, not during my first couple of days at the school were I might not even be set up to play yet. ARGH!!! This whole summer, there has not been one good game....

HAHAHA. LIfe sucks eh?

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

so you will have to play in limited quantities like the rest of the world that has a real job ... poor guy.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

I will say, even though the OP is clueless, that it is amazing that this this is the average and yet they clame that kid dominance is ruining their games.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I would how many of these hardworking, educated adults are working as cashiers at Kum & Go.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by stragen001

This^

And I work 7 days a week...never get a day off.  Course I do work overnights thus having my entire late morning, afternoons, evenings and late nights to do as I please, but thats besides the point...ROFL

This discussion has been closed.