Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: All About Combat

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the most important aspect of any MMO is its combat mechanic. In the latest WildStar Wednesday, the team discusses combat and how it will play out in WildStar. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

I know it's in it's early stages, but...  Wow, that didn't look very impressive at all.  I enjoy the art style and the quirky looking characters but that combat.  Bleh, why does there have to be a holy trinity in these games?  I don't understand it...  

I like to complain about games.
  • MallarkyMallarky Member Posts: 73
    Meh
  • rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I'm excited that it's not just standard hot key-based targeting, but instead uses free form targeting and strategic terrain control.

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by Ridrith

I know it's in it's early stages, but...  Wow, that didn't look very impressive at all.  I enjoy the art style and the quirky looking characters but that combat.  Bleh, why does there have to be a holy trinity in these games?  I don't understand it...  

Trinity isnt a bad thing. Just because one(/two) big game is getting rid of the trinity doesnt mean all games need to. Trinity itself is somewhat good thing, its mainly the combat mechanics that make it dead boring in current MMO's.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

turned it off at Holy trinity.

• Heatsink00Heatsink00 Member UncommonPosts: 60

Trinity is a bad thing in game design.  Unless the devs can design a system where:

1-Each role is equally appealing and equally represented

2-The party's responsibilities are equally spread out between all members

3-The game's population is steady at all times(not likely)

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

Looks like SWTOR =/

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by Ecoces

Same. This game is already outdated. 

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

cool! more stuff like this please :)

what is free form targeting?

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Looks great! Let's hope it's not gonna be a faceroll.

I miss vanilla/TBC dungeons.. :(

• SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290

This game had me interested up until this video. Now not so much.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468
    Originally posted by ichihaifu

Trinity isnt a bad thing. Just because one(/two) big game is getting rid of the trinity doesnt mean all games need to. Trinity itself is somewhat good thing, its mainly the combat mechanics that make it dead boring in current MMO's.

Trinity is BAD. Please don't even try to argue trinity is not bad. Trinity leads to: LF1M healer, and what do you know, that one healer never shows up.

So the game's already doomed.
  • solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

I think the trinity is here to say. It doesn't help that any MMORPG group combat without trinity quickly feels disorganized, zergy and boring.

When someone comes up with a better group combat system in an MMORPG where you have easy, intuitive player dependency, which flows well and allows for group tactics, we'll have that.

Right now, we don't have that. 

• JazKW347JazKW347 Member Posts: 54

What would make the game more worth while is to make each character type beable to do either role, other than that, it is a bad decission to use the trinity in this game.

• GendracoGendraco Member UncommonPosts: 3

atnah its simple change the combat from static to dynamic thats y swtor secret world wildstar and many next gen games are headed for a massive flop its no fun stading around smack crap with a stick. its played out all I see now is graphics and fancy animation noones thinking out of the box

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by Ecoces

Same here. Tired of playing WoW clones. Not to mention that bad anime/manga/asian art style really turns me off on the game alone. I'd try it for free though, but I can pretty much already take a good guss that I'd be right in saying that I won't like this game at all when I try it out.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by solarine

I think the trinity is here to say. It doesn't help that any MMORPG group combat without trinity quickly feels disorganized, zergy and boring.

When someone comes up with a better group combat system in an MMORPG where you have easy, intuitive player dependency, which flows well and allows for group tactics, we'll have that.

Right now, we don't have that. 

Mechwarrior online and Guild Wars 2 are both games coming out with no holy trinity. I'm sure there will be more in the future. People, such as myself for example, are really tired of the holy trinity. 

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by ichihaifu

Don't agree. Any game where I have to wait around for a healer/support/tank/whatever specific class in order to progress is dead to me at this point. I could never go back to that. 

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

So they expect to be different even though they're using the trinity and raid content? Doesn't sound impressive to me.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

This is #1 on my hyped list, I think :)

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Yeah, can't wait for the "LF healer" thing... pffft.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

game looks like trashhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• kuroionikuroioni Member UncommonPosts: 26

I don't really mind the holy trinity thing. The one thing I am worried about is if they will be able to make it so *every* class/player can feel needed, and not be afraid of being completely disposable if they choose a dps class.

Also, I really like the targeting system, although I hope it won't turn out like "true-action" TERA. where although you do have to target, there are these horrid (Aion-like) set-in-stone, unskipable animations, that freeze you in place, not allowing you to do anything while you use a skill -_-'

Amyhow - I'm really looking forward to this title. Carbine, do your best! ^_^/

• ValasAzuviirValasAzuviir Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Banegrivm

Mechwarrior online and Guild Wars 2 are both games coming out with no holy trinity. I'm sure there will be more in the future. People, such as myself for example, are really tired of the holy trinity. 

Mechwarrior online isn't a good example, you might as well use World of Tanks or World of Warplanes then. None of those games have healers either. Although you will find "The Tank" and the various forms of "DPS" though.

GW2 on the other hand is a proper comparison, as character healing is available in that game.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Its not that the trinity system is all bad, but as someone said it doesn't hold up well on low population server or a low population game..

Without trinity system, most fight feel zergy. But remember in zerg you can have somewhat organization..

GW2 to approach seems to be, the monster is big so why not let a large amount of persons challenge it and after its done everyone gets loot, so all is pleased. that system can be applied to other games but games with boss mechanics its a bit harder (not impossible) to execute..