Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Make or Break Features

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by nuttob

I went into the betas thinking I would wait for FTP if it ever came along, but I was so impressed that I lifetime subbed.  I don't think I am going to be disappointed.  I admit the character creation is kind of lacking, but not  a deal breaker for me.  The environments are awesome when you crank the graphics, and I love the quests that combine action with puzzles.  It is so refreshing not to have to kill x amount of bears, spiders, wolves, etc...and have to think while you are questing.

Its funny I went into beta thinking this was going to be a great game (sounded great in theory) and came out of it very disappointed, to the point that I probably wouldn't even play it if it goes f2p.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

As of the last beta weekend, character creation is still a "break" for me, as are the animations. There's just no excuse for a 2012 release to be so poor in these areas. There's no neutral here, man up pick a make or break.

• TellusMarsTellusMars Member Posts: 4

They have not the full character creation for the beta as I have heard and the beta is a

beta and most of the big features is not in place for the beta it's like giving away the

game before it is in the shop. Most beta I have played.... Wow I have played.... Since

the UO & EQ ... I'm old Ha ha ha

The point is that we have not seen it all and Funcom is getting better and better. AO

was bad I was there on release day and wow it was bad, but when they got it up

and running 6 moths later it is today one of the best SIFI MMORPG out there.  

AOC had a great  launch, but Funcom hoped they could build content on the Fly

before the players could get there, but they lost that speed run :( I still play

AOC from time to time and Funcom can make good games. I still just run around

in the game world looking at things just like in SKYRIM. 

TSW Beta so far is one of the best I have played so far in my long track record

I have found a lot og A, B & C bugs and have reported them all The second

Beta most of the big bugs was gone and there was a lot of A bugs out there. I

was impressed. I have done a lot of skill and system testing aswell and I have

never  seen so much depth in a RPG system in my life before. This game looks

simple, but it's even more heavy RPG system than AO.

But Funcom can as many says here Cheat again and pull a fast one, but I think third time is the charm here.

So I look forward to play and enjoy myself at  launch day :-) Happy  launch day to all :-)

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by nuttob

I went into the betas thinking I would wait for FTP if it ever came along, but I was so impressed that I lifetime subbed.  I don't think I am going to be disappointed.  I admit the character creation is kind of lacking, but not  a deal breaker for me.  The environments are awesome when you crank the graphics, and I love the quests that combine action with puzzles.  It is so refreshing not to have to kill x amount of bears, spiders, wolves, etc...and have to think while you are questing.

Its funny I went into beta thinking this was going to be a great game (sounded great in theory) and came out of it very disappointed, to the point that I probably wouldn't even play it if it goes f2p.

As they say to each his own...some will love and some will hate this game.  It goes without saying.

• FaulknerFaulkner Member UncommonPosts: 108

Good Write up IMO.  I hoe I will enjoy this game for some time and then there is that other game coming out soon... geez go years with nothing that great and now this year boom with games lol.

• flaZhflaZh Member UncommonPosts: 144

"As long as new players are aware of the decks and can easily access them, Funcom should score a win in this one."

No not really, cuz many of the decks have few or none abilities from the first tier, ergo will they have to make and construct a class as they play, which they will replace skills with newer skills they unlock until they have the final deck.. So really decks doesn't do much until you have completed the deck, that's when you get the "class".

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Gamebreakers for me after playing it with the wife:

Character creation

Combat

Too many loading screens

Too linear

World is too small for my tastes

I keep seeing these combat complaints.  I just don't get it.  The only MMO ive played with much better combat was Planetside. The only ones ive played with slightly better combat wer GW2 beta and AOC (as melee).

I've played many many MMOs with worse combat - Wow, Rift, Lotro, swtor, daoc (which i love), eq, eve (which i also love).

Originally posted by mxmissile

Is this game free-roam open world (Asheron's Call 1999!)? Or theme-park open world (wow)? Or theme-park with loading screens?

zoned and loading screen - like GW2

however.....

It is more open than wow.  Its not Hub and shopping list based.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Character creation

Combat

Too many loading screens

Too linear

I keep seeing these combat complaints.  I just don't get it.  The only MMO ive played with much better combat was Planetside. The only ones ive played with slightly better combat wer GW2 beta and AOC (as melee).

I've played many many MMOs with worse combat - Wow, Rift, Lotro, swtor, daoc (which i love), eq, eve (which i also love).

I think you are not understanding what is meant by combat in regards to people saying it is bad. It's not the skills or the system, it's the animation and the feel.

Originally posted by Theocritus

Game breaking issues for me in TSW:

1) Character creation - It feels like something you'd see in a low budget f2p game.....I'm guessing the cash shop will offer alot more clothing options for a price.....Thats definitely not something I want to see in a p2p game with a monthly sub already

2) Cutscenes - The amount of cutscenes in TSW drove me absolutely crazy.....Factor in your character never says anything and that makes it much worse.....This is one feature I absolutely do not want in a MMO

3) Combat/animations - absolutely awful.....The way the monsters attack in groups just doesnt feel right....ALso how does a shotgun hit monsters that are at a 90 degree angle??

4) Replayability - Because the game is so story driven and the quests are one and done type fo quests, there really is zero replayability....Also the factions all look alike and have the same clothing options so what's the point?

1) yeah it is limited compared to games like Aion and COH..  I dont think its that bad though - its not the WOW CC

2)hmmm, i kinda feel the same way about cutscenes.  BUT your character being mute is a bonus to me, i much prefer it to the SWTOR approach of "myself" talking in an american accent.  It works for Elder Scrolls, It works for Half Life, It works for Portal.

3) disagree the combat is above average.  Also you can hit a target at 90deg with a shotgun, its impossible.  shotguns are not targeted they fire in a forward cone area of effect 45deg in front of you.  Its also imposible with any other gun as the game uses Line Of Sight, you can't do wow style fireing fireballs out of your ass.

4) you probably have a point.  But thats all themeparks.  Only one I ever got any long term play out of was DAOC.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Character creation

Combat

Too many loading screens

Too linear

Go play a game like Darkfall or Tera and you might understand what you are missing.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by marcust
    Originally posted by ShakyMo Originally posted by remyburke Gamebreakers for me after playing it with the wife: Character creation Combat Too many loading screens Too linear World is too small for my tastes
    I keep seeing these combat complaints.  I just don't get it.  The only MMO ive played with much better combat was Planetside. The only ones ive played with slightly better combat wer GW2 beta and AOC (as melee). I've played many many MMOs with worse combat - Wow, Rift, Lotro, swtor, daoc (which i love), eq, eve (which i also love).
    Go play a game like Darkfall or Tera and you might understand what you are missing.

Perhaps "action combat" isn't meaningful to him. I can understand why some players desire it (particularly if they are heavy into console gaming), doesn't mean anything to me, though.

• cclark01cclark01 Member Posts: 1
    I played the beta and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. However, I don't think it's worth a sub fee. I see TSW as a niche game and I'll wait until it goes f2p to pick it up.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Character creation

Combat

Too many loading screens

Too linear

I am leaving Tera so I can play TSW.  The combat is different but I don't think the combat is near as bad as people think in TSW. Combat in Tera to me felt like I was playing on my Xbox 360.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I didn't pay any attention to TSW (didn't even read the forums) until about a month ago when I received a BWE invite. Out of pure curiosity I dropped in to see what it was all about. And I was instantly hooked !

A week later I was lucky enough to snag a CB key, and soon after I pre-ordered. Finally an MMO I am actually excited about. It's been a looong drought...

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Bored already. Deeply under-whelmed, had hopes would like this, but found it bored quick.  Underwhelming in every respect.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

This is going to be a go to mmo for many years right up there with EvE, WoW, and probably GW2. The most common complaints are character creation and combat animations which are minor issues. And today, Ragnar announces character creation in the form of three in game shops complete with their own background stories, specialites, and flavor npcs. Uhm, I think they are going to do just fine. Wouldnt be surprised if combat animations get a bunch of upgrades in the next few months. Go TSW!

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• proponentproponent Member UncommonPosts: 92

Thought it was great. Very immersive ...lotsa freedom. Can't wait for tomorrow.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by karmath
    Originally posted by ericbelser

You have to take any of FCs promises to 'fix' or change things with a grain of salt; their track record argues that while they might eventually get that change in, it is likely to be 6-12months later than you think it should have been. If you aren't happy with how a feature is now, don't expect change any time soon.

+1 for this.

The stamina issue has been going on sice day 1 in AoC, their working on finalising the way it should of been now.

Fair or not, this is how I treat every MMO now.  If there's something that I consider to be game breaking or downright frustrating, I'll just quit.  I hope TSW succeeds, but Funcom's track record and MMO track records in general work against them.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• Beoelf21Beoelf21 Member Posts: 91

I have to say, i was on the fence for awhile about this game and i never really took it seriously solely because of Age Of Conan. I went to upgrademy video drivers and during the installation i got prompted to recieve a beta for TsW, so i figured what the hell. I was pretty damn hooked on the PvE from the start. i love the questing structure, i love that i actually give a shit about the storyline and even the text based quest information. after that first weekend it came down to the PvP,which wasnt open yet, to make me decide to buy or not. well this past weekend proved to me that funcom means busniess with this Game. PvP was actually fun and the three faction method seems to be working well. All in All i think that Funcom knows ppl have a chip on their shoulder about AoC and it seems they are keeping that in mind when delivering TsW. I honestly Hope this game suceeds in at least what they want it to do if not more because they do bring things to the table that seem quite forward thinking.

*And always a plus is the fact that some of the content gives you that ,turn all the lights off and play resident evil , feeling.

• hkharpsterhkharpster Member Posts: 11

If they are working on making the combat animations better, I may give Secret World a try, tho not sure why if they have been working on changing them why they waited tell the release of the game to show them. The last beta was better but that isnt saying much. I didnt see any change to the animtions and the dodge that they added while a great and needed improvment, just make the animations seem worse do to the quickness of it in contrast to the all the other animations. 

I really liked everything that had to do with the world, quests and the concepts of the PvP that they are doing. If they fix and better the animations and make the char creature better and have more options. It will be a much better game.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Character creation

Combat

Too many loading screens

Too linear

TERA's combat and animations are amazing. It's just a shame the rest of the game is meh, aside from the graphics. For me, the combat in TSW just "feels" dull and boring. Sure, there are a ton of games with similar combat...maybe that's part of the problem? Ironically, I love AOC's combat. I wish TSW was more like that.

My other major problem with TSW is the total and utter lack of immersion. The world is plagued by SWTOR's issue: it's made of lifeless cardboard.

Joined - July 2004

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

The best part of TSW is the Modern-day Horror-Supernatural setting and story. It is a breath of fresh air in today's flood of high-fantasy based MMORPGs.

The weakest parts of TSW is Combat and Character Creation. Combat is no where near as fun as DCUO or GW2. I honestly think SWTORs combat is more fun than TSWs. The Skill Wheel is partly to blame for Combat lacking. It doesn't matter if you have over 500s skills if most of them look and feel lackluster. Character creation suffers from ugly character models and very limited starter clothing selection. It seems more and more clothing options were removed from the game and put in the Item Shop to milk as much $ as they can out players. This wouldn't be such a big deal if the game didn't lack clothing options to begin with and/or if there was no monthly subscription fee.

• OrdnasseloOrdnasselo Member Posts: 12

For those talking about track records, it is the best way to judge your expections of what someone(or company) would do.  Does it mean they won't follow through with what they say?  No, something can happen 1 out of 10 times, and 9 times would be the same but maybe this is their 1, who knows...

As for the character creator, although I do agree that it is an important "make or break" moment of a game, sooner or later it seems you aren't even paying attention to your characters starting looks, just what is on it.  I did think the creator was lacking in options, but in the end I found something I was quite happy with and even thought, "I may actually wear that clothes option". 

As for everything else, I have no right to comment, I tried the last CBT for a couple hours before having to crash and let the weekend ride away into work filled days, but the look and feel definitely(can't ever spell this word right) appealed to me in a way that most other MMO's of late have not.

Take it or leave it..let it release and go on for a couple months before we start screaming Failcom, or touting this is the most innovative game ever created.  Who knows, maybe instead of turning over a new leaf they decided to flip a whole damn forest this bout.

edited because of the realization of "wall of text"

Gotta take issue with the lifeless world like swtor. It's nothing like as plastic as swtor.

Mobs aren't rooted the spot they move around
    Day night cycles
    Ambient sounds
    Npcs that actually talk to each other
    Mobs that attack rival mobs
    Various criters
    Weather

Could go on.