Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MechWarrior Online: Dynamic Weather Events & the Frozen City

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The MechWarrior Online team has released another new video to show off both the Frozen City locale as well as the dynamic weather events and how they will impact game play. Enjoy!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Blizzard..? They just grayed the screen and done. Look in the Misty Mountains (LotRo) how a real blizzard can change visibility...

And thermal vision... Nice thing, BUT... Mechs in a COLD environment like a blizzard will NOT SHOW any thermal signature since the metal will take the temperature of the surroundings. If luck you'll see only the small dot that represents the pilot sitting INSIDE the opposing mech :D

Anyway, nice movie. I might give this game a shot ;)

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

I want to have sex with this game...

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Mechs in a cold environment that aren't operating won't show anything. But fire up the Fusion Powerplant inside, and they glow like a lightbulb (heatsinks anyone?)

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183
    Originally posted by rdrakken

^ this

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• AilingforaleAilingforale Member Posts: 87

This game just keeps looking cooler and cooler the more they release of it.  I can't wait to get my hands on this!

• Radar11xRadar11x Member UncommonPosts: 118

Looks good

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Reizla
    And thermal vision... Nice thing, BUT... Mechs in a COLD environment like a blizzard will NOT SHOW any thermal signature since the metal will take the temperature of the surroundings. If luck you'll see only the small dot that represents the pilot sitting INSIDE the opposing mech :D

Apart from the thremal reactor inside the mech and the fact that lore states that both the laser and several other weapons leave a fairly distinct heat signature when used. Now i don't care much for how thermal imaging works in reality... because in reality we do not have 65 ton of walking tanks.

Still this will be one hated map. =P

This have been a good conversation

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

This game and planetside 2 my favorite shooters for this year. It looks like MechWarrior should look like

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Blizzard..? They just grayed the screen and done. Look in the Misty Mountains (LotRo) how a real blizzard can change visibility...

So the fact that every time you fire a fill salvo of weapons your mech heats up like no ones business and you have a messive engine powering it... yeah thats right no heat signautre..
     :)

Also its not jsut a greyed out screen.. videos probally dont show it too well.. remember this is the cryengine we are talknig about..

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

I am hoping that you can do something like either mimimal power-up settings in your mech to bring your heat signiture down to nearly nothing, and so act as a kind of minor cloaking against players using thermal vision in blizzard conditions. Yet yeah a fully powered up mech would still give of a heat signiture, and i would think it would be kinda like how they show with it being largely blues till the center of the mech where the power-core is being a bright yellow or red.

I am honestly hoping that if mechwarrior here does really well in sales and retention, that we see more mech-based mmos released with this style of combat. In truth i think with this style of combat, controls, and such a armored core style ip would fill the gap of players looking for a much more high sci-fi style look as well as faster paced combat overall.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Asuran24

I am hoping that you can do something like either mimimal power-up settings in your mech to bring your heat signiture down to nearly nothing, and so act as a kind of minor cloaking against players using thermal vision in blizzard conditions. Yet yeah a fully powered up mech would still give of a heat signiture, and i would think it would be kinda like how they show with it being largely blues till the center of the mech where the power-core is being a bright yellow or red.

I am honestly hoping that if mechwarrior here does really well in sales and retention, that we see more mech-based mmos released with this style of combat. In truth i think with this style of combat, controls, and such a armored core style ip would fill the gap of players looking for a much more high sci-fi style look as well as faster paced combat overall.

There is a faster more fps style mech game being developed but for the lfie of me i cant remember what its called..

Looks nice but its not really how much should be but liek you said fills the gap for the arcade types who want fps style combat in a mech..

Will try and find it and post back here

found it..

http://www.playhawken.com/

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by Asuran24

There is a faster more fps style mech game being developed but for the lfie of me i cant remember what its called..

Looks nice but its not really how much should be but liek you said fills the gap for the arcade types who want fps style combat in a mech..

Will try and find it and post back here

found it..

http://www.playhawken.com/

Not really what i mean as the mech design in Hawken is still pretty close to mechwarrior mech design, but nothign close to armored core style mech design. Although the combat is faster paced it's style very much in line with mechwarrior which is good. What i mean by using the armored core ip would be for the setting (a corp controled solar system, that you are a merc mech-pilot that is hired by them for jobs.), as well as the much more stylized an far-future sci-fi mech design.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774
    Originally posted by rdrakken

This could be an awesome game if done well. It is an ideal candiate for an MMO. I am looking forward to the way it will play, hopefully it will be a good um.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Don't know much about Thermal imaging do you?

I remember my first use of thermal imagining up at Fort Drum NY in the snow BTW, tracking a mouse across a field with the Avenger system back in 1990.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/TWQ-1_Avenger