Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Release Date Disappointment

xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

Anyone else dissappointed at the August 28 release date? They have to release it literally 2days after the Fall semester, i guess im probably only talking to college folks here. Im at a really good GPA atm but i sense a lower GPA incoming, i just hope GW2 won't make me fail this semester lol :(

Honestly i wouldnt mind if they "rush" the game for July 28th i think that will be more convenient to most people. Just want to play without worrying about college studies, for a bit.

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by xalvi

Anyone else dissappointed at the August 28 release date? They have to release it literally 2days after the Fall semester, i guess im probably only talking to college folks here. Im at a really good GPA atm but i sense a lower GPA incoming, i just hope GW2 won't make me fail this semester lol :( Honestly i wouldnt mind if they "rush" the game for July 28th i think that will be more convenient to most people.

Just tell me im not the only one 

really if you have a problem with college, working and playing plus social life you are doing something wrong.

my college time I did all of these without a problem for 5-6 years just learn where to spend your time when needed

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I don't really believe anyone who says they play 40+ hours a week and keeps a normal life outside of it.  Too many years of experience showing otherwise.

That being said, college is the easiest time of your life outside of summer breaks lol.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

i guess im probably only talking to college folks here

I wouldn't know 'how many' it affects to be honest. But you're also only speaking for people in the US and the game launches worldwide on that date. I have no idea why they chose that particular date. Maybe they'll tell us, maybe they won't.

Works out quite well for me actually so I'm happy enough...

• FrostWolfieFrostWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 54

Dissapointed? Not at all, however if they rushed it like so many other games i would be very dissapointed.  Better to have a quality product than something thats partially finished. Either way, school is more important than a mere game, wait until christmas or heck, finish school before playing if its such an issue.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

Anyone else dissappointed at the August 28 release date? They have to release it literally 2days after the Fall semester, i guess im probably only talking to college folks here. Im at a really good GPA atm but i sense a lower GPA incoming, i just hope GW2 won't make me fail this semester lol :( Honestly i wouldnt mind if they "rush" the game for July 28th i think that will be more convenient to most people.

really if you have a problem with college, working and playing plus social life you are doing something wrong.

my college time I did all of these without a problem for 5-6 years just learn where to spend your time when needed

Either that or you were so strung out and not sleeping you weren't doing anything of those things "right".

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

i know where you're coming from. i already worked hard to graduate with honours a few years back. i had to fight my WoW and EVE addictions in the process. i remember staying up all night to play before a major exam. i would procrastinate to the max with the help of games, and would usually do huge assignments in 1 or 2 days. im going back to school, but not until next september. my life is pretty much gonna be GW2, girlfriend, work until then... simple.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by sonoggi

i know where you're coming from. i already worked hard to graduate with honours a few years back. i had to fight my WoW and EVE addictions in the process. i remember staying up all night to play before a major exam. i would procrastinate to the max with the help of games, and would usually do huge assignments in 1 or 2 days. im going back to school, but not until next september. my life is pretty much gonna be GW2, girlfriend, work until then... simple.

Well, i dont think i fall into your past category lol :p I can say im not addicted to games nor play 40+ hours a week, when it comes to exams and such i blank out on games/life and just study or review the materials.

What i meant was i wanted to play without having the worry of school/prioritizing time, i just wanted to be "free" during the time of playing GW2 but i guess it wont :((((((

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

I feel bad for you but you can have 1 day of the head start before its all school and homework. Nice thing with GW2 is you can play 1-2 hours and have fun. So keep your head up and get good grades and when you cut lose come play with us.

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

Dear god  , I wish college and socializing time was the scheduling conflict worry in my life sometimes.

Just wait till you have spouse/kids/client deadlines/etc etc to have to go first before any gaming time.

I will make you weep for you "busy" college days.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

You want them to force the game out the door so you can play it a month before college starts? Get over yourself. If you can't manage your time in college (the easiest and best times of your life), then you are going to have major issues with a full time job, and a family. College isn't that bad, and I did engineering school, played way too many games, and still finished in 4 years. If it is that bad, prioritize and stop playing games ... I had to do that for a year. How is is possible to get into college still wanting the world to revovle around yourself ... and then posting publically about it? /sigh

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774
    Originally posted by adam_nox

That being said, college is the easiest time of your life outside of summer breaks lol.

Where, at some liberal arts party school studying history technology society?

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Conventional wisdom dictates that summer is a terrible time to release new video games and that the holiday season brings the highest profit.  The problem with this line of thinking is that it doesn't really take into account the large number of big-name titles also releasing around the same time.  Everyone wants a slice of the holiday pie, but some games would actually benefit releasing earlier in the year when there's less competition.

A release date at the tail end of August is puzzling to me.  It's right at the end of the summer but months before the start of the holiday season.  It's as if Arenanet said, "By God we don't care when we release as long as we don't release in the summer!" Unless the beta weekends were using older builds, GW2 could benefit from several more months in development, so if they're going to rush it out the door, why not release in July?  Again, conventional wisdom dictates that sales will be lower this time of year, but I don't think developers take into account how starved most gamers are this time of year.  Guild Wars 2 may even attract people who would never have considered it should it release in a time where most gamers are clamoring for a decent release.  I know I probably never would have taken a look at TSW or TERA if they were to have releaesd alongside other, more hyped MMORPGs.

I've heard people say they spend as little as 20% of the summer playing video gamers, compared to nearly every day in the fall, and I wonder what these people actually do for a living.  Am I to believe that you're going on vacation, going to the movies, and going to barbeques and fireworks shows nearly every night for the duration of the season?  What sort of job do you have that pays you enough to stay so active in this economy?

No, I think it's all marketing theory that prevents us from seeing quality releases in the summer months rather than actual, quantifiable reasons, and while I know this was not Anet's intention, I truly can't help but see an August 28th release date as a big FU to college students around the world who will no doubt make up a large portion of GW2's playerbase.

--

To the person that believes it's so easy to balance academic success and work/social life, I somehow doubt you can comment.  Unless you're taking 6 classes a semester with a perfect GPA, you can't say all those activities didn't negatively affect your grade.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

You could pick literally any date in the entire year and it will be inconvenient for a large group of people somewhere.

Also, were you hoping it would release after you graduated? 

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

If less people buy/play video games during the summer, perhaps that gives ANet the chance to get the game up and running with a little less server load on launch. Stability and first impressions are critical in this genre.

• diabisdiabis Member Posts: 35

I can not help but laugh at all the complaits of College students. I have to agree with all those of us that manage, jobs, dinner social lifes etc and our favorite game. If college is going to be so hard, I really can not see you ever playing a game again once you get into the real world, because it will stop you from succeeding the most basic parts of life.  I say well done GW2 getting out and remembering all of us that had pre-ordered and looking forward to seeing that release date.

Look for the Rose with the Thorn.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Anyways on a brighter topic, idk how people can say college is the easiest time of your life id like to know what you majored in but in my major, health care/biochem, it def is not easy and time consuming so lets leave it at that. If you are complaining about your family being burden on you, idk what to tell you that shouldnt be a way to describe your family, but thats just me  lol :p

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by diabis

I can not help but laugh at all the complaits of College students. I have to agree with all those of us that manage, jobs, dinner social lifes etc and our favorite game. If college is going to be so hard, I really can not see you ever playing a game again once you get into the real world, because it will stop you from succeeding the most basic parts of life.  I say well done GW2 getting out and remembering all of us that had pre-ordered and looking forward to seeing that release date.

I think college is hard for anyone who actually tries to succeed academically.  Granted, if all I cared about was keeping a 3.0, college would be a breeze.  Not every real-world career is as time intensive as you make it seem or am I imagining all my previous high school teaches who decided they'd rather watch Who Wants to be a Millionaire rather than grade my English papers?

College can't quite be looked at in the same light as starting a family.  Most of us attend college to land quality jobs that provide us with a high enough salary to where we can retire while we're still mentally competent not because we truly love the subject matter.  Unless you marry a rich person, having a family has no baring on financial well-being, so you have to weigh the pro's and con's to starting a family.  If you find that familial obligations would prevent you from living life the way you want, the wise decision is to not start a family.  You're probably better off in the long run anyway.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

You are the only one!

I wish it was out sooner but August 28th is fine by me. Better at that time then Christmas.....

Originally posted by sonoggi

Well, i dont think i fall into your past category lol :p I can say im not addicted to games nor play 40+ hours a week, when it comes to exams and such i blank out on games/life and just study or review the materials.

What i meant was i wanted to play without having the worry of school/prioritizing time, i just wanted to be "free" during the time of playing GW2 but i guess it wont :((((((

i didnt play 40 hours a week either, i dont see how thats possible. but if youre not in that category, then what's the prob? should have plenty of time for a few hours of GW2 per day, then homework. use an alarm to help you stop when you need to go back to studying.

• ZenonSethZenonSeth Member Posts: 128

Six years ago I was in the same position, with GW1. I just caught on that GW1 existed, and the Nightfall expansion was just out. I almost failed a semester in uni because of it (comp. science major, not a slide-by-without-effort degree).

Just get used to getting 3-4hrs of sleep on weekdays :) You'll survive.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

No date will ever be perfect for everyone. Either it's summer and people are on vacation. Or it's fall and spring and people are in school. Or it's winter and people are spending time with their families.

I, for one, am at least happy to finally know the release date. This is it, folks, the game is almost out!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Anyone else dissappointed at the August 28 release date? They have to release it literally 2days after the Fall semester, i guess im probably only talking to college folks here. Im at a really good GPA atm but i sense a lower GPA incoming, i just hope GW2 won't make me fail this semester lol :(

Honestly i wouldnt mind if they "rush" the game for July 28th i think that will be more convenient to most people. Just want to play without worrying about college studies, for a bit.

Rushing out the game is not a good idea, 1 months less of balancing and crushing bugs could actually make a big difference here.

So I don´t arree and I will not complain if they decide to move it back another month even.

There will be years ahead that we can play so the less bugs the better.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Anyways on a brighter topic, idk how people can say college is the easiest time of your life id like to know what you majored in but in my major, health care/biochem, it def is not easy and time consuming so lets leave it at that. If you are complaining about your family being burden on you, idk what to tell you that shouldnt be a way to describe your family, but thats just me  lol :p

You are the kid on here whining about how you can't handle balancing a video game with classes. And getting dissappointed because they are not releasing a game on your schedule. Again, I studied Computer Engineering, easily on par with your degree. It was hard, at times, but past the first couple years, you get it down and you kind of roll with it. As I said, there was a time where I had to stop playing video games almost entirely, and focus on school only. This was my hardest year, but I made it.

I am not sure if you are even addressing me, I never said anything about family being a burden? Remember, you are the one whining like a child, not anyone else ...

different people have different capabilities, dont be a dick. depending on one's capabilities, balancing a busy life with hobbies in which it's easy to lose track of time can be challenging.

if it's affecting your marks, it's best to abstain until vacation. if you ever wanna go to medschool, dont touch games period, and do something else to relax.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I definitely feel for you kids.  We didnt have MMOs when I went to college.  We did have Super Nintendo and I can easily remember wasting evenings and weekends getting in some Super Metroid, Final Fantasy, Earthbound and a ton of other classics.

I majored in CompSci and minored in Philosophy, graduated with a 3.4.

From someone in the industry since '95... You'll never use that college stuff :-)    Use it to get a handle on time management and focusing on what you want to do in your career.  It will help you better in this tight market if you can actually do something.

Forget the 28th, Ill see my fellow pre-orders on the 25th ;-)

Tally Ho!