Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Make or Break Features

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by mxmissile

Is this game free-roam open world (Asheron's Call 1999!)? Or theme-park open world (wow)? Or theme-park with loading screens?

themepark with loading screens

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• HexrunnerHexrunner Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Istavaan

i love how TSW fanbois are trying to say that their game is somehow for the more intelligent among us..wow if thats the elitest attitude of the community i think i'll give it a skip. following those way points takes a lot of mental effort i must admit.

If you'd played the game at all, you'd know that it's not just a "follow that waypoint" type of game. Of course, there are a lot of missions that require that sort of thing but the investigation missions are a breath of fresh air.

Unfortunately, what I saw in the beta weekends was an abundance of people that didn't want to spend any time thinking through some of the missions and wanted all their answers handed to them on a platter. Then there were people obliging them by shouting out the answers in the general chat. I'm hoping that will tone down somewhat.

Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed this game and the challenges it provided. As with any game, there are issues and as an ex-AO player I recognize Funcom's track record in regards to actually getting things done in a timely manner. I'd like to think that they'll be a little more focused in regards to TSW though. That might just be wishful thinking, but only time will tell.

• proponentproponent Member UncommonPosts: 92

I'm loving it. When compared with recent MMOs it is a godsend. Slight biased view considering I didn't care for the first GW and strongly believe it helped ruin the genre. Before GW it was uncommon to find a MMO with so much instancing. Suppose it is easier on the hardware or cheaper having any/all important content be instanced.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

Game breaking issues for me in TSW:

1) Character creation - It feels like something you'd see in a low budget f2p game.....I'm guessing the cash shop will offer alot more clothing options for a price.....Thats definitely not something I want to see in a p2p game with a monthly sub already

2) Cutscenes - The amount of cutscenes in TSW drove me absolutely crazy.....Factor in your character never says anything and that makes it much worse.....This is one feature I absolutely do not want in a MMO

3) Combat/animations - absolutely awful.....The way the monsters attack in groups just doesnt feel right....ALso how does a shotgun hit monsters that are at a 90 degree angle??

4) Replayability - Because the game is so story driven and the quests are one and done type fo quests, there really is zero replayability....Also the factions all look alike and have the same clothing options so what's the point?

• proponentproponent Member UncommonPosts: 92

Loving this game. It is outside the norm and that is one of the better parts.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

I am beyond baffled that both SWTOR and TSW launched without group/dungeon finder tools.  These need to be considered 'must have' for day-one MMO launches.

Speaking for myself, BW/EA lost my SWTOR revenue because I just gave up endlessly spamming "LFG" - do these developers not research the key features that makes a game successful?  Community!  People!  Groups!  Guilds!

Unbelievable.

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

Neutral for combat animations ? Come on now , you are really giving them a pass on this , advertising dollars must really skew things I guess.

You give them a pass on everything on promises and hold accountable nothing for as is.

Gotcha.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Dahkot72

Neutral for combat animations ? Come on now , you are really giving them a pass on this , advertising dollars must really skew things I guess.

You give them a pass on everything on promises and hold accountable nothing for as is.

Gotcha.

People have different views. I personally don't have any issue with the combat animations.

I do start to wonder when "animations" and "CC" are somehow deal breakers to playing a fun game, though.  It's almost as if people can't find anything else to blame. It's almost as if they're grasping for anything they can point to as the cause of their dislike.

If you don't want to play it that's fine but if animations and CC are the only problems with the game.. I'd take that over any other problem any day of the week.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Some of these posts sound like folks who played one BWE.

I've not seen any memory leaks or had issues with crashing. Character creation has been updated and looks good now, wheel skills seem nicely balanced across many multiple combos. I haven't had a tough time grouping so can't relate to that complaint.

Haters gonna hate I guess. /shrug

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

ONe of the major problems with this type of game, is that questing and grouping don't mix.  If you're on a stage, tier or another level of the quest, it limits who and when you can quest with people.  Would be nice if a game implemented a feature that, would update you on what happened so far, and allows you to share the specific tier of the quest.  

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

First off, using the word "haters" marks you as illiterate.  The word is critics, look it up, you might expand your language usage.

In my opinion this game is just not ready for release.  It has issues that need to be addressed, I won't go into the details here as it would cover several paragraphs and all you have to do is read the forums, they are discussed in detail there.  I wish Funcom well, but I will be taking a wait and see attitude toward's this game and see if they can actually fix the problems.

• DunkareDunkare Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Agricola1

I've heard through the grapevine that TSW has a nasty little memory leak, is that true?

Because it's De ja vu, TSW launch is reminding me of AoC launch just a bit better. I get the feeling that in 6 months Funcom will be talking to MMORPG.com about their "new project".

I remember playing AoC one day and my guild mate mentioned TSW, people were basically saying "That's ****ed up! This game is still borked with a memory leak and they're developing another game with our ****ing sub fee!"

I still say Funcom have a slash and burn policy when it comes to developing and releasing MMO's, in 6 months TSW will be discarded for the next project. I hope not but I've been burnt by these guys once already and it's made me rather cynical.

actually they already announced their next project: a new lego mmo. you can read that up on the funcom website. but hey, that's how buisiness works - if it works as intended. one project finances the next. that shouldnt be a big surprise.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I think the 3 "break" aspects for me in TSW are the price, animations and pvp. The game itself feels different in general which I think is its biggest "make" image

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430
    Originally posted by Unshra

The list covers mostly everything but the one thing that is the focus in The Secret World and makes it stand out from other MMO's, that being the puzzles which can be as small as a quest to as large as to cover multiple ARG clues and puzzles (they come some will last months, but we will see.) In my opinion if they can't pull this off then it's just like every other MMO but with better atmosphere.

if it is just like every other MMO + better atmosphere, doesn't it make the game better than every other MMO?

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

"players won’t have to run back to the quest giver to get the reward. This is a game set in the modern era and players will receive quest rewards via PDA, a really nice touch."

Heh. 'Won't have to'. I like that spin they put on it. Yes, yes, you WILL have to run back to the quest giver. Many times. They even admitted to *why* they did it this way: If they let you gather up your quests all at once, they'd have to slow down xp gain because you'd run out of content too quickly. So to "add content" they make you run back and forth over and over and over again to slow you down. Fantastic. This will probably kill the game faster for most people more than anything else.

Pause a quest because you know you'll never probably be in this out of the way secluded hard to reach spot again and there's a quest item laying on the ground (some idol, etc)? Yeah, you can "dial in the reward" for that new one, but you get to run back to where you got the one you paused to get it restarted. Apparently, your quest giver KNOWS when you've put them on the back burner, and won't let you "Dial" that one in, they want to see your FACE when you beg them to let you restarted their mission.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by rpgalon
    Originally posted by Unshra

The list covers mostly everything but the one thing that is the focus in The Secret World and makes it stand out from other MMO's, that being the puzzles which can be as small as a quest to as large as to cover multiple ARG clues and puzzles (they come some will last months, but we will see.) In my opinion if they can't pull this off then it's just like every other MMO but with better atmosphere.

if it is just like every other MMO + better atmosphere, doesn't it make the game better than every other MMO?

Did I say it was worse or was this a captain obvious moment (i.e. failed attempt at being snarky)?

Also to expand on that, just because a game has the same features as other MMO's does not mean that it executes them on the same level or better then other MMO's, this should go without saying of course.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• CorantheCoranthe Member UncommonPosts: 10

Meh.  A lot of the stuff people talk about as game breakers really are kinda minor.  The memory leak HAS been fixed but that was pretty early on in CB.  Animation... man I"m paying more attention to killing that which is killing me than looking at how my characters butt sways or not.  As for stupid contentions like "price"  sounds like a f2p fanboi.  Wait... wasn't SWTOR like 59.99 at release?  I actually didn't feel justified paying that much so i waited on a price drop.  this one is mostly normal price.  49.99.  Pretty average to me.

The Group finder would be nice as well as possible queue and gear balancing for PvP... but that's usually post release in most of these games.  I think a lot of you have been spoiled by WoW and the "ease of use" adjustments they made in that MMO post Vanilla and mid Burning Crusade.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291

I went into the betas thinking I would wait for FTP if it ever came along, but I was so impressed that I lifetime subbed.  I don't think I am going to be disappointed.  I admit the character creation is kind of lacking, but not  a deal breaker for me.  The environments are awesome when you crank the graphics, and I love the quests that combine action with puzzles.  It is so refreshing not to have to kill x amount of bears, spiders, wolves, etc...and have to think while you are questing.

I went into the betas thinking I would wait for FTP if it ever came along, but I was so impressed that I lifetime subbed.  I don't think I am going to be disappointed.  I admit the character creation is kind of lacking, but not  a deal breaker for me.  The environments are awesome when you crank the graphics, and I love the quests that combine action with puzzles.  It is so refreshing not to have to kill x amount of bears, spiders, wolves, etc...and have to think while you are questing.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Hexrunner
    Originally posted by Istavaan i love how TSW fanbois are trying to say that their game is somehow for the more intelligent among us..wow if thats the elitest attitude of the community i think i'll give it a skip. following those way points takes a lot of mental effort i must admit.
    If you'd played the game at all, you'd know that it's not just a "follow that waypoint" type of game. Of course, there are a lot of missions that require that sort of thing but the investigation missions are a breath of fresh air.

Unfortunately, what I saw in the beta weekends was an abundance of people that didn't want to spend any time thinking through some of the missions and wanted all their answers handed to them on a platter. Then there were people obliging them by shouting out the answers in the general chat. I'm hoping that will tone down somewhat.

Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed this game and the challenges it provided. As with any game, there are issues and as an ex-AO player I recognize Funcom's track record in regards to actually getting things done in a timely manner. I'd like to think that they'll be a little more focused in regards to TSW though. That might just be wishful thinking, but only time will tell.

This is exactly what I saw during the beta weekends (but was thankfully absent for me during the closed beta)- there's no way I'll pick up this title before the normal population drop-off. Too many people from the instant gratification camp buying whatever happens to be new. By the 2-3 month mark I figure the majority of them as well as the "content locust" types will have gone especially with GW2 to be released in roughly that timeframe- for those that remain it'll be a great game.

• sindraodsindraod Member Posts: 28
    • Linear, story-driven themepark gameplay overloaded with cutscenes
    • Limited replayability
    • Subpar combat
    • Subpar character creator
    • Things that should have been fixed in beta but weren't, but the developer promises to do that "soon"
    Sounds a bit like another recent game... called SWtOR
  • KtaraKtara Member Posts: 37

I played 2 beta weekends, and I have to agree with Suzie on just about everything.

I don't know that I saw any improvement in the character creator since I didn't use it last weekend, but what I did see what just ok.  I love the customization in City of Heroes, so I'm always going to be disappointed in everything else :)

I love complexity in games.  Everything out there is too easy lately, and it's boring.  The puzzles in TSW are fun to figure out.  It'll be a quiet game for me though.  I'll have general chat turned off due to the a**hats that blurt out the spoilers.  I don't find the skill wheel difficult to understand...of course, I do have a brain, and I know how to use it :)

I'm one of those "grab all the quests at once", but I find this system working just fine for me.  I thought I'd hate it, but it's actually pretty good.

I could care less about combat animations, but I know it's a big thing for some people.  My bf won't play the game because of it (and a few other items), but he's got Tera.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    This game is still in beta.. They should delay it a month.. But then they can't afford to do that with guild wars 2 dropping at the end of August..
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Gamebreakers for me after playing it with the wife:

Character creation

Combat

Too many loading screens

Too linear

World is too small for my tastes

Joined - July 2004