Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Funcom Snags LEGO Mini-figure Licensing for New MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a new press release on the Funcom site, the Norwegian game developer has secured the rights to LEGO mini-figures. The ultimate plan is for a new MMO with the LEGO team and Funcom working together to create "maximum accessibility".

“The market for family-friendly online experiences intended for children and youngsters is brimming with potential,” says Funcom CEO Trond Arne Aas. “Being able to work with a world-renowned brand such as the LEGO brand to develop an MMO for this audience is incredibly exciting to us as game developers and for Funcom as a company. This is source material we all know and love and we simply cannot wait to get started working with the LEGO Group on realizing this exciting project.”

Read the full press release on Funcom's site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

At least it can't be worse than LEGO Universe.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by Kabaal

Even though it is Funcom, I have to agree. Lego Universe was such a waste of great potential.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

lego magic spells

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Ah yes, it makes sense. AoC paid for TSW, now TSW is going to pay for that.

*sigh* Will a company ever actually reinvest and build upon one of their existing games?

They need to go back to making single player games, because they just don't seem to understand that once an MMO releases that it's *not* time wheel back on putting effort into them.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    [mod edit]
  • SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by GTwander

*sigh* Will a company ever actually reinvest and build upon one of their existing games?

They need to go back to making single player games, because they just don't seem to understand that once an MMO releases that it's *not* time wheel back on putting effort into them.

Yeah a business that is constantly fudning its next project with it's last, keeping all its employees in a job in a recession is clearly doing something wrong.

What compnay are you CEO of and how is it doing in the current economic climate?

• ShariestShariest Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

Yeah a business that is constantly fudning its next project with it's last, keeping all its employees in a job in a recession is clearly doing something wrong.

What compnay are you CEO of and how is it doing in the current economic climate?

I would rather make games and keep making them better... Just making a game to fund another seems cold and... unprofessional, selfish... What other words for "Greedy Assholes"?

• DreyderDreyder Member Posts: 25

K Funcom released AoC and it wasn't ready for launch... and they paid the price... are they different from all the other companies that release MMOs over the last 6 years? No. (Rift changed all that)

So I don't see the point in hating on em. They'll get better over time as they learn their lessons.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I personally cannot imagine this being a good marriage.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by darkbamy

funcom = instant fail

no matter how hard they try...at the end, their games keep failing over and over again

look at  AoC for example, first the bugs and glitches and what not and then they whent F2P, ''oh this is gonna be good''

WRONG!

even if you had bought the expansion you still needed to pay a monthly sub to even get in the area's of that expansion.

So ye...just no

Funcom have made some of the best MMORPGs on the market...

AO was awesome fun.

AOC was another awesome game

TSW is probally one of the best themepark games i have played in a long time..

So how is funcom = instant fail?

Subjective argument.

To me AoC was a decent game upto the expansion, which immediately killed my interest due to the massive grind and screwed up new gear.

TSW might be the best themepark you played lately. To me it felt lifeless and without inspiration.

Never played AO, but I didn't hear anything good from the launch.

So Funcom has yet to prove to me they learned anything from the past.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    [mod edit]
  • xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Kabaal

Its funcom. It WILL be worse than LEGO Universe. Even if graphics and game mechanics are better they will charge you box, sub, cash shop with you having to buy every individual piece, and have ingame adverts running every 30min. How is that not worse?

Before people start yelling at me for exaggerating yea, I might be alittle. But it seems the next logical step from thier current MMO.

• NudlesNudles Member UncommonPosts: 54

This was exactly what i thought after reading this.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

LEGO Universe was not fail at the end. After LEGO took over from NetDevil thier internal team was actually doing wonders to the game. Alas too late.

• DreddeDredde Member Posts: 28

If I was to judge this before I tried TSW I would say it will be a bad game, after playing TSW though ill say it will probably be one of the best games ever released :P

• NudlesNudles Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS

Now AoC had a bumpy ride, but it looks like it weathered out the storm as well by changing their model with todays standards. So I still don't see a fail in both games that are still around.

Now if both games were not available, but all means, call it a failure.

If there's anything they weathered down in AoC was the population.

And i wouldn't consider their payment model today's standard at all. They simply have an extended Trial model with sub attached which i personally consider archaic and seriously affects the game's player retention in it's current state.

However, i still have a glimpse of hope now they have TSW nearly out of the door, they'll put some resources back into AoC and improve it.

But these news don't give me much confidence in Funcom. Great concepts no doubt but poorly executed and personally, never reach(ed) their true potentials.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I wish I could take a picture of my lego collection and send it in to get free game items.  I've spent so much money over my childhood buying lego sets, I could've bought a couple of cars by now lol.  I don't really play with them that much now.  Other than my dinosaurs I made back when I was young on my window seal, I never even look at them....now I want to go play legos...maybe i'll build a life size T Rex...I got a 2 foot tall one hehe.

• MedsiMedsi Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Lego is timeless though. It's an investment you can pass along.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

[mod edit]Nothing like throwing money away on something that will never generate any.  Hard to notice that a prior lego MMO tanked big time.

[mod edit]

• zenomexzenomex Member UncommonPosts: 242

a lego mmorpg.... lol

no...

just no.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

hope it is a sandbox, so we can keep some hate out of this forum

AAA Minecraft comming.... lol

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Anyone else thinks of browser game like BC and PvM?

"The game will be a prominent part of the LEGO® Minifigures online experience which already has millions of unique visitors per month."

So yeah...

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

The part of Lego Universe where you could build things was pretty fun.  The rest of the game however is a different story.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

The questing part of Lego Universe was actually fun.  My son and I loved the game but we ran out of content in less than 30 days and we only played 6 to 8 hours a week.  The limited inventory room for all your outfits was also a critical flaw in the design.  I really hope Funcom puts some time into this one.  There is a huge market for this if done correctly.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I wish Funcom would make a third game in the Longest Journey games series. The way things ended at the end of the second game... There has to be a third game to wrap the story up. They can't just leave it that way.

Also, i don't understand why they haven't made a third game in that series. They won so many awards for both of those games (excellent games by the way). They could make money off of it from all the people like me, who love adventure games that have puzzles and involve more thinking than action.

Smile