Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1.3 is critical

Comments

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by audiophilus
    Originally posted by cutthecrap
    Originally posted by MosesZD
       Here's a picture comparing a certain infamous (and typical) third-rate BioWare writer with one of the GW2 writers and the qualifications they possess:   http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3237/prxi4.png

Sorry, but this is kinda lame and flaky in the area of comparison image It'd be like taking the top scorer of 1 sports team and then compare it with 1 of the lesser guys or reserves from another sports team, only to then say 'See? See the difference between teams?'

If you wanna do comparisons, at least do it fair and honorably, if you pick the lead writer or the one that always leads as spokesperson of one team, do the same for the other team, like including a Drew Karpyshyn and D Erickson including their credentials. Just saying image

(tbh, all game company writers usually fail to impress me with their books, even guys like Salvatore etc, they usually feel like pulp fiction writers and franchise writers compared with the excellence of the true great names in genre fiction)

Drew left Bioware. ME3 would have definitely been better had he not.

ME3 was epic from start till catalyst child,u cant say a game failed just cause of the ending

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by quntair

Lazy players killed many a swtor server.

Too lazy to join guilds and participate in group play.

Too lazy to get voice comms.

Too lazy to stick with teams to grow together.

Prefering to solo play and yet demanding pug operations that they could participate in with their shitty gear and no knowledge of tactics, no pots etc etc..

This comical logic never gets old. Gotta love it when people blame the players for everything. Looks like we've finally reached that stage.

I hate that guy's mentality.  Grouping with random strangers to complete content was a way of life in oldschool MMOs like EQ and DAoC.  Only recently has everyone seemingly decideded to forgo all social interaction with any player outside of their current guild.  Some people complain so much about how MMOs are turning into multiplayer co-op games, yet many of those same individuals are the ones who absolutely refuse to associate with anyone outside of a small clique guild group.

There are plenty of variables that go into why simply finding a good guild doesn't work for someone.  Maybe the individual plays at odd hours or can't commit to regular playtimes.  Just because a player can't be online Monday through Friday from 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM doesn't mean he can't get in a decent amount of playtime.  Maybe the individual is already in a guild; however, the guild is not yet equiped to run endgame content.  Some of the best guilds I've ever been a part of have been casual, leveling guilds.  A lot of raid-centric guilds can be downright boring, especially once members only start logging in during raid times.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by quntair

Lazy players killed many a swtor server.

Too lazy to join guilds and participate in group play.

Too lazy to get voice comms.

Too lazy to stick with teams to grow together.

Prefering to solo play and yet demanding pug operations that they could participate in with their shitty gear and no knowledge of tactics, no pots etc etc..

This comical logic never gets old. Gotta love it when people blame the players for everything. Looks like we've finally reached that stage.

I hate that guy's mentality.  Grouping with random strangers to complete content was a way of life in oldschool MMOs like EQ and DAoC.  Only recently has everyone seemingly decideded to forgo all social interaction with any player outside of their current guild.  Some people complain so much about how MMOs are turning into multiplayer co-op games, yet many of those same individuals are the ones who absolutely refuse to associate with anyone outside of a small clique guild group.

There are plenty of variables that go into why simply finding a good guild doesn't work for someone.  Maybe the individual plays at odd hours or can't commit to regular playtimes.  Just because a player can't be online Monday through Friday from 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM doesn't mean he can't get in a decent amount of playtime.  Maybe the individual is already in a guild; however, the guild is not yet equiped to run endgame content.  Some of the best guilds I've ever been a part of have been casual, leveling guilds.  A lot of raid-centric guilds can be downright boring, especially once members only start logging in during raid times.

very well stated and true atleast in terms of my experience gladly i don't subscribe to these kind of theories even while in a guild I've found myself in quite a fw pick up groups and have found success in just about every instance I've run in maybe it's the ease of TOR but that is the fact for my play time.

I've spent more time grouping in this game than in any other mmo since SWG which was as close to forced grouping as you could get without actually forcing it.

Also agree that the best guilds I've ever been in have tended to be casual levelling mid rp guilds and every raiding guild I've found myself a part of have killed the joy I get from the game time and time again. 

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by SumterSide

Funny how people think group finder will save SWTOR when group finder was the thing that is killing WoW.

People are bored of sitting on a space station for 5 hours. What's Biowares solution? Make them sit on station some more.

I'm confused. How does adding an lfg tool that can be used from any planet force people to sit on the station more?

In my imagination right now, I envision myself being lfg while continuing my solo game. I can do both now!

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

People wanted to play this game and they had huge expectations about it. What really happened will happen with all these thempark games. you let self hype control the reality of the situation.

It's a themepark. it's a tightly controlled limited in advance game that's primary focus is making PVPers happy and people who spend a great deal of time wanting to raid end game.

There is nothing in bewtween that's not made to make you want to stay. the ship is dead space, the crafted gear items are useless compared to end game gear and  is mainly for gearing for comps, the game is desinged to make you grind for legacy perks you should have unlocked at a certain legacy level but you also have to pay millions upon millions of credits to get them.

right now on PTR when you unlock legacy perk for getting a speeder at level 10 they only allow it on the character you unlock it. my guy is level 50 what good is this perk? i'm not level 10 it serves me nothing and none of my level 10 can use it until level 20?

This is why it will fail hard and is failing. this is why GW2 will fail to some degree. this has already been done in all the themies we have ever played and will play. they fail before they even get started because deep down everyones sick of games made for people with OCD and turrets and PVpers who get a class nerfed every patch for no reason.

People are truly sick of themeparks even if they proclaim thier new MMO will be the best of them all.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by jeremyjodes

People wanted to play this game and they had huge expectations about it. What really happened will happen with all these thempark games. you let self hype control the reality of the situation.

It's a themepark. it's a tightly controlled limited in advance game that's primary focus is making PVPers happy and people who spend a great deal of time wanting to raid end game.

There is nothing in bewtween that's not made to make you want to stay. the ship is dead space, the crafted gear items are useless compared to end game gear and  is mainly for gearing for comps, the game is desinged to make you grind for legacy perks you should have unlocked at a certain legacy level but you also have to pay millions upon millions of credits to get them.

right now on PTR when you unlock legacy perk for getting a speeder at level 10 they only allow it on the character you unlock it. my guy is level 50 what good is this perk? i'm not level 10 it serves me nothing and none of my level 10 can use it until level 20?

This is why it will fail hard and is failing. this is why GW2 will fail to some degree. this has already been done in all the themies we have ever played and will play. they fail before they even get started because deep down everyones sick of games made for people with OCD and turrets and PVpers who get a class nerfed every patch for no reason.

People are truly sick of themeparks even if they proclaim thier new MMO will be the best of them all.

I was with you at the beginning--particualrly the part about catering almost exclusively to raiders and those who like that subset of PVP characterized by short scenarios and gear grinding.

Where you lost me though was when you threw GW2 in there and generalized about people being sick of "themeparks."

For one thing GW2 has that other, far superior version of PvP known as RvR in DAoC and WvW in GW2. It is not quick, it's persistent , massive and just a lot of fun. It is also not gear dependent.

There aren't just two types of MMO you know. There is a whole range from extreme sand-box to extreme themeparks on rails.

SWTOR is indeed ultimately boring unless you're a raider or a scenario PVPer as you said. But not because it's a themepark: because it's THAT themepark known as SWTOR done THAT way.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

1.3 will not save swtor.  I've played it on the test server, and it's so buggy.  Bioware just doesn't know how to fix an mmo fast enough.  The Group Finder has potential, but it still won't address the core issues this game has.  People left en masse for many reasons, and it wasn't just because ranked warzones and group finder tool. lol.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

1.3 brings nothing in the wake of server transfers. It's only attraction is the group find and it's not as though it's hard to find one when the Fleets now have 300-600 on them.

Server pops are going to continue to drop.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by moxifloxacin

I just renewed my subscription. I can tell you it was a tough decision. I was tired of LFG and playing alone isn't exactly the reason I play MMORPG. Many quests are made so that you can't solo. When your lvl is high enough to solo, you probably won't receive any xp. Currently I have a lvl 50 and many of my missions are gray out. I have lost interested in completing those missions. The rewards of those missions are abysmal. (Those gears make me laugh.) I don't understand we have to "roll" for those FP weapons.
    In short, if 1.3 doesn't improve my experience, I will quit and try Secret World or Guild Wars.
    Bioware, are you listening?

1.  They're not.  They never have.  And if you try to get them to listen, no matter how polite, they ban you.   I saw that during DA:O's development when people were complaining about the 2.5 D worlds and asked for full 3D movement to include jumping.  BioWare would shoot them down and if they mentioned it again, they'd close the threads, deletel the posts and even ban people.

When the beta testers ripped on the SWTOR and the problems.   They, effectlvely, said 'shut up, we have our own test server and these bugs don't exist.'      When my LOTRO guild leader let me take over her beta account and told me (while laughing) she'd never play that dog...     But, I'm a long-time Star Wars fan and I just had to have this MMO....    I should have listened as everything she said was right. I'd be $60 richer.

2.  TSW:   I just got done with Beta3 for TSW.   The writing is better.  Hands down.   I used to just cringe at the incredible stupidity of BioWare's laughable science which was just pure fantasy-genre magic and completely impossible.   The quests, and game, is much more difficult than SWTOR and is far less cookie-cutter in character development.

The character models are uglier.  Hands down.   The TSW clothing is mostly 'refugee from college rock-band' but there are some nice outfits and my character doesn't have a collection of 'big butt robes' like my Jedis did.   However, the over-all aesthetic is outstanding, and far better, as the world is large, detailed, alive, open and interesting on many, many levels that BioWare completely failed at capturing.    Especially pleasing to me is that rooms, building, paths, halls, etc., are proportionate and realistic in scale.  

I'll be honest in saying that I didn't think Funcom, in my lifetime, could have done as well as they did.     I don't know if the whole game will be as well done.   It's just one beta weekend.   But I liked it far more than my SWTOR final 'release version' beta weekend and I think this game has the potential to completely rehab Funcom's reputation.

3.  GW2:   I've played both BWEs and the stress test.   If they released it today, 50% finished...   It'd be better than SWTOR will ever be.  And it's not like it's perfect or anything.   But GW2 went the way MMOs seemed to be going in the early 2000's before WoW gave us the quest-hub-theme-park ride everyone and his brother decided to copy in hopes of being 'the next WoW.'

And it has tremendous social and emergent gameplay tools built in.   We have fantastic crafting.  Exploration.   Hidden quests.   Puzzles.   Hidden specials.   And even the stories are well done and  based on a comprehensive, well-constructed back-ground lore that makes SWTOR look like a joke.   Here's a picture comparing a certain infamous (and typical) third-rate BioWare writer with one of the GW2 writers and the qualifications they possess:   http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3237/prxi4.png

And her thumbnail biography:

Ree Soesbee is a writer, game designer, and lore editor for massively multiplayer online games as well as traditional pen and paper RPGs. She has authored more than sixteen novels in a wide variety of fantastic worlds ranging from the popular Legend of the Five Rings setting to Star Trek, Dragonlance, Deadlands, and Vampire: the Masquerade. Her body of work includes over a hundred RPG texts, and inclusion in numerous short story anthologies and professional literary journals. Currently, she is a lead designer and lore writer for Guild Wars 2; innovative follow-up to the award-winning Guild Wars MMORPG. Already, Guild Wars 2 has recieved Gamescom's 'Best Online Game' and MMORPG.com's 'Most Anticipated MMO' awards.       

The woman is flat-out talented and fantastic.   She's flat-out one of the best writers in the industry.   And she's done a remarkable job with GW2 in setting the background, the lore and making sure the stories are consistent and appropriate to the lore and background.   Nothing feels out of place.   Nothing feels like it's just some writer's MacGuffin or Deus Ex Machina because they're not clever enough to write themselves out of a paper bag.

Let's put it this way, this one woman is more successful as an author than the entire BioWare staff has ever been.

She's also prettier xD

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

Sort of ridiculous to say the company who is putting out a new ending to a game because people complaigned so much aren't listening.

But saying they aren't reading a post on the mmorpg.com forums is legit.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Zuvielify

Funny how people think group finder will save SWTOR when group finder was the thing that is killing WoW.

People are bored of sitting on a space station for 5 hours. What's Biowares solution? Make them sit on station some more.

I'm confused. How does adding an lfg tool that can be used from any planet force people to sit on the station more?

In my imagination right now, I envision myself being lfg while continuing my solo game. I can do both now!

The station is the quest hub. If you are LFG and get picked up, you will need to be able to do something quickly. It can take a while to get back there if your pass is not up, so it would be better for the PuG you join if you are close at hand.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

"In short, if 1.3 doesn't improve my experience, I will quit and try Secret World or Guild Wars.

Bioware, are you listening?"

the type of person you are already ruined 1 mmo.so please,stick with ruining an already years out mmo like world of warcraft instead of tromping thru another mmo and ruining it like you did with star wars the old republic

I was in the GW2 beta, the Charr Starting City Black Citadel is about the deminsions of a Death Star.

Sadly the Black Citadel has more areas and is more massive with more activities and areas to find, events npc acitivity than every city in SWTOR combined. If Anet had developed SWTOR instead of Bioware you really get an idea of what SWTOR could have been.

At best SWTOR will go FTP soon so another company can get a shot at making a new Star Wars mmo.

Heck, even EQ and UO (especially EQ) had far more detailed and larger scoped cities than SWTOR does.

It used to be that MMO design focused on making a wonderful world for everyone to play together in.  But now it seems like the world takes a backseat to scripted, one-shot, content.

But isn't this just backwards?  I mean, MMO's are supposed to have longevity and be played for years on end.  Why would you ever focus on scripted, one-shot content if you have this goal in mind?

Even in WoW, the quests typically take a backseat to the gameplay and world design.  Everyone knows that the quests in WoW are not exactly great works of literary art...they just serve as a method to get you into the game, and that's really all they should do.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by jeremyjodes

You were off to a good start, but what does this paragraph have to do with ANYTHING you just said. GW2 has nothing to do w/ SWTOR, and neither does 'turrets'. Unless you were trying to say Tourette's?

I agree about the grind, and how a lot of the changes / additions being added don't make a lot of sense, but focus man, FOCUS!

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by alexmino

Sort of ridiculous to say the company who is putting out a new ending to a game because people complaigned so much aren't listening.

Well bear in mind that ME3 was made by the original Bioware in Canada.  SWTOR is made by another studio under the Bioware label in Austin, TX.  They may be part of the same "company," but I think they are very different in terms of capability.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

"In short, if 1.3 doesn't improve my experience, I will quit and try Secret World or Guild Wars.

Bioware, are you listening?"

the type of person you are already ruined 1 mmo.so please,stick with ruining an already years out mmo like world of warcraft instead of tromping thru another mmo and ruining it like you did with star wars the old republic

I was in the GW2 beta, the Charr Starting City Black Citadel is about the deminsions of a Death Star.

Sadly the Black Citadel has more areas and is more massive with more activities and areas to find, events npc acitivity than every city in SWTOR combined. If Anet had developed SWTOR instead of Bioware you really get an idea of what SWTOR could have been.

At best SWTOR will go FTP soon so another company can get a shot at making a new Star Wars mmo.

Heck, even EQ and UO (especially EQ) had far more detailed and larger scoped cities than SWTOR does.

It used to be that MMO design focused on making a wonderful world for everyone to play together in.  But now it seems like the world takes a backseat to scripted, one-shot, content.

But isn't this just backwards?  I mean, MMO's are supposed to have longevity and be played for years on end.  Why would you ever focus on scripted, one-shot content if you have this goal in mind?

Even in WoW, the quests typically take a backseat to the gameplay and world design.  Everyone knows that the quests in WoW are not exactly great works of literary art...they just serve as a method to get you into the game, and that's really all they should do.

^^ Agree. I hope this trend ends soon. I would like to have the worlds back.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Well that's kinda problem with modern mmorpg's.

Companies altered design like that to cut on cost, partially also to put more money in instances.

Since in most mmorpg's playerbase come, start playing and leave after few weeks or few months tops.  Don't stay for like 10 months or years.

So game companies went with "no-longlivelity" open world content and put more instances instead for those players who stay subbed / playing for grinding PvE instances or Arena / Battleground PvP instances.

What that 'no-longlivelity' design did though it just made problem even worse.

Most players started to get bored even faster, which was to be expected. (I wonder if game companies expected this or they wished that more people will get hooked up on instances / raiding maybe?)

Additionaly there is real fast-spawn of lobby online instance games with matchmaking like big amount of MOBA's incoming and growing number of lobby co-op PvE grinders (C9, Vindisctus, DDO and many others).

+ matchmaking games like World of Tanks, upcoming MechWarrior Online, World of Planes / Warplanes, Panzar, Warface, etc

AND

there seem to be growing number of FPS online games, sometimes with mmo elements like Dust 514.

So where that leave current dominating mmorpg design that is based on "one-time", simple, no-longlivelity, no virtual world content in open world and gameplay based on instances, same instances based co-op content that is and WILL be provvided by growing number of more varied lobby games?

It will totally destroy it. 

If there will be no drastic changes then people will leave mmorpg's in droves.

Well many people WILL leave anyway, since sizeable part of current mmorpg's playerbase are players that are most interested in instanced gameplay.

But when that playerbase will bleed and there will be no games with design attractive for those people that want to play 'longterm' virtual worlds ?

- Greatly decreased playerbase of people that like co-op isntanced PvP and PvE

- Greatly decreased playerbase of people that play mmorpg's for unique virtual worlds experience =

as I see more and more of my friends that played at least partially cause of that - not playing mmorpg's or playing them very rarely for short amount of time cause they get bored quickly - because there is no games in mmorpg' genre made for them (not counting indie games since most of them just want their game to work and not being in alfa / beta state for years - they do work and don't want to cope with gazzilions of bugs and no-promised features implemented).

Mmorpg genre is up to HUGE challange in next 2-5 years.

It will SURELY get smaller - in west, since globally it may even get bigger since there is growing numbers of people with computer access espeically in Asia, but also in Africa, Middle East and South America.

Still more regions more game companies = more competition and most western mmorpg's will suffer.

If there won't be more risks taken in mmorpg's design then western mmorpg genre / market will get hit much harder that is has to get hit. (it will anyway).

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by alexmino

Realy? Rather funny how misinformation gets stated as fact. Bioware is not putting out any new endings to ME3. The extended cut is just that. they are keeping the same crapppy green, blue, red endings and adding a bit more dialogue/scences for closure. Bioware has stated they are not changing the Me3 endings, (they are still the same result in red, green, and blue no matter what you do/choose) nore as you state are they making any new endings.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

They broke class balance in 1.2. If they do any more "balancing" and it appears that they are, I can see no reason that I would ever return to this game. Sins/shadows are getting nerfed, which they may need a slight adjustment, but marauders/sents are untouched. They're breaking the IF spec for BH and Vanguard meaning that you now only have pure spec options, which is boring, and I didn't even read the rest of it, so much bad. But what can you expect.........bad dev is bad.........

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I just renewed my subscription. I can tell you it was a tough decision. I was tired of LFG and playing alone isn't exactly the reason I play MMORPG. Many quests are made so that you can't solo. When your lvl is high enough to solo, you probably won't receive any xp. Currently I have a lvl 50 and many of my missions are gray out. I have lost interested in completing those missions. The rewards of those missions are abysmal. (Those gears make me laugh.) I don't understand we have to "roll" for those FP weapons.In short, if 1.3 doesn't improve my experience, I will quit and try Secret World or Guild Wars.Bioware, are you listening?

idk what game you were playing but there were a fair amount of group quests that were easy to solo.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• VeldekarVeldekar Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by ignore_me

The station is the quest hub. If you are LFG and get picked up, you will need to be able to do something quickly. It can take a while to get back there if your pass is not up, so it would be better for the PuG you join if you are close at hand.

I take it when you join a group using the LFG tool, it doesn't spawn you at the dungeon entrance and when you're done it doesn't spawn you back where you started?

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463

1.3 means that another few thousand players will quit

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

I just renewed my subscription. I can tell you it was a tough decision. I was tired of LFG and playing alone isn't exactly the reason I play MMORPG. Many quests are made so that you can't solo. When your lvl is high enough to solo, you probably won't receive any xp. Currently I have a lvl 50 and many of my missions are gray out. I have lost interested in completing those missions. The rewards of those missions are abysmal. (Those gears make me laugh.) I don't understand we have to "roll" for those FP weapons.
    In short, if 1.3 doesn't improve my experience, I will quit and try Secret World or Guild Wars.
    Bioware, are you listening?

And even the stories are well done and  based on a comprehensive, well-constructed back-ground lore that makes SWTOR look like a joke.   Here's a picture comparing a certain infamous (and typical) third-rate BioWare writer with one of the GW2 writers and the qualifications they possess:   http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3237/prxi4.png

Let's put it this way, this one woman is more successful as an author than the entire BioWare staff has ever been.

Two words for you mr fanboy.. Darth Bane.

Actually you are one hundred percent wrong on this one if you que for a flashpoint you are offered once matched immediate transport to the start of the instance I thinkk the only time you don't get qt is when queing for heroic quests on the worlds.

Originally posted by raistlinm

Actually you are one hundred percent wrong on this one if you que for a flashpoint you are offered once matched immediate transport to the start of the instance I thinkk the only time you don't get qt is when queing for heroic quests on the worlds.

I was 100% unaware of this. I didn't mess with it on PTS so I didn't know about the port. So is the fleet empty now?

Originally posted by raistlinm

I was 100% unaware of this. I didn't mess with it on PTS so I didn't know about the port. So is the fleet empty now?

Not at all since mergers I've not seen less than one hundred on fleet usually atleast around 150