Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW has become a WoW clone?

nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

Is it just me or are all mmorpgs now officially alike? It use to be that they all wanted to be like WOW now WOW is trying to be a crappy clone of itsself, they should just all merge into one entity? why not? it worked for super smash brus.

Comments

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

I really would like MMOs to sort of merge. Sort of an Otherland style thing where you could basically zone to different MMOs but carry over your character into each. I think it would be wicked cool to take your warlock from WoW and somehow carry him over to be a Chaos/Blood character in TSW to bring him over to be a Necro in GW2 etc...would be bloody wicked cool.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Makes zero sense.

If anything, WoW is just becoming trite because it refuses to expand itself in a complimentary direction, rather than pushing out more of the same thing, while most other entries are pushing that feeling even further by riding it's coattails.

@Terronte

Porting the identity over would be borderline genius (though completely impossible with the nature of business and competition), actually porting over the actual character, along with all progress and base mechanics/whatnot would be lame. Imagine people in Rfits complaining that WoW paladins were OP for whatever reason... just... no.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219
    Originally posted by GTwander

Makes zero sense.

If anything, WoW is just becoming trite because it refuses to expand itself in a complimentary direction, rather than pushing out more of the same thing, while most other entries are pushing that feeling even further by riding it's coattails.

@Terronte

Porting the identity over would be borderline genius (though completely impossible with the nature of business and competition), actually porting over the actual character, along with all progress and base mechanics/whatnot would be lame. Imagine people in Rfits complaining that WoW paladins were OP for whatever reason... just... no.

Paladins wernt OP people were just noobs, my shaman could rock dey buttas.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

@Terronte

I think MMOs could be cooperative in this instance. Being able to port characters would require subs in both games and purchasing both, win/win for both MMOs. The games could have alternate leveling paths that you could advance by playing other games. Just rambling.

Some companies such as Turbine or Funcom would have a headstart. Everything is real or whatnot in TSW...Conan characters could port from the past, Anarchy Online from an alternate future.

I was thinkin sort of Entropia or Second Life-style..where you are sort of a default character and you could alter based on the zone you enter. (i think Otherland will be like this with fantasy and sci-fi and the like)

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Originally posted by nomatics856

Is it just me or are all mmorpgs now officially alike? It use to be that they all wanted to be like WOW now WOW is trying to be a crappy clone of itsself, they should just all merge into one entity? why not? it worked for super smash brus.

No, it's just you.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331
    When Elvis returned from WWII he became an Elvis clone...

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Alcuin

When Elvis returned from WWII he became an Elvis clone...

...but he didn't join a band with other Elvis clones.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Terronte

@Terronte

I think MMOs could be cooperative in this instance. Being able to port characters would require subs in both games and purchasing both, win/win for both MMOs. The games could have alternate leveling paths that you could advance by playing other games. Just rambling.

Some companies such as Turbine or Funcom would have a headstart. Everything is real or whatnot in TSW...Conan characters could port from the past, Anarchy Online from an alternate future.

I was thinkin sort of Entropia or Second Life-style..where you are sort of a default character and you could alter based on the zone you enter. (i think Otherland will be like this with fantasy and sci-fi and the like)

It works in EU and SL because it's a conglomerate of developers working under a single licensor.

It could also work amongst all Turbine and Funcom games, respectively.

~But, any two competing entities are never, ever, ever, ever, ever going to work together - outside of SOE handling Squeenix's customer service for a time long ago (believe it or not). That was on contract, though... they got paid for it.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture