Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stress test game play changes?

2»

Comments

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by Redemp

Didn't see any changes to fix Alpha builds. Engineers were still nonfactors.

ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuinNjbnnDM

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by ZenonSeth

Is it just me, or did the excitement kind of die down? When I played last BWE, I was incredibly eager to jump in game and excited with it.

Today, I was less enthused.. Still interested but my excitement level was definitely down. Maybe it IS just me, having to play this for only 5 hrs after a 9 hour workday...meh

nah. i logged off early.

ANet is making a mistake in trying to keep the ultimate level of hype up for this game. people eventually get tired of it and move on to something that isn't a tease.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Engineers are fine and always have been in my opinion.  They do decent enough damage and have lots of survivability.

Rangers are broken as in ridiculously overpowered still.  Unkillable juggernauts that heal for more damage than 3 players can dish typically with the right build.  I even felt like I was winning more 1v3s than usual.  I played around with my evasion tanking spec which I used in PvE and 6 people could not bring me down in SPvP (which resulted in a game win of course since that's 6 players not worrying about the objectives).  WvWvW we won a lot of a 2v10+ 3v15+ due with both seige and ridiculous tankiness.  Maybe that's because we were all level 50 too.  Bear and Moa pets can tank entire supply camps and upgraded keep door guards (zealot + guards) without having to swap them out.  It's just stupid how badly this profession needs to be nerfed.  It's worth mentioning we have some of the most powerful passive effect signets and the what is probably easily the best elite in the game.

I think it's all the Rangers using longbow.  We saw so many of them in this stress and there damage is just so laughable.  Literally poking me for 200 damage (with 22khp and constant regen) with the slowest weapon in the game.  It's just bad how out of balance the weapons are at the moment and so many Rangers just stick to longbow that I guess the profession just might not be getting as much feedback as it should be.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I dunno, I felt like melee attacks were stronger... both my Warrior and Guardian really seemed to be laying the hurt, mobs were dying faster than before?

Maybe they lowered mob health at lower levels (11-16)

But I only played for an hour so... sad panda :(

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by Vutar

I broke down and played some which I wasn't going to do.  I was not impressed with this test. Seemed like a step backwards in many respects. I did not see any major changes but there were tons more bugs it seemed.  I had way more lag than BWE and i'm on a low pop server.  Pets still stopped working randomly. The trading post bugged out and they had to shut it down. I was not able to use unidentified dyes (during BWE2 I could).  The event also did not work and they had to extend the test by an hour. If ya go look at the bug forum you will see it is over 5 pages long so for a few hour test.

No idea how much fixing they have really done since BWE2, probably not much. But this reaffirmed that this game is no where close to ready for release.

They did state up front that as they are 'stress testing' there will be disconnects, performance issues (lag), loading between maps and instability. 

I believe this was more about pushing the system to identify server/performance issues rather than gameplay.  This was not a BWE.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918
    I agree that the hype just didn't seem to be there as before. Areanet will continue to lose potential players if these teasing beta/stress events continue much longer
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

a stress test is not a time to make gameplay changes its about stressing their servers.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Originally posted by Atlan99

ok

Whats your point Champ?

Originally posted by Magnum2103

Engineers are fine and always have been in my opinion.  They do decent enough damage and have lots of survivability.

Rangers are broken as in ridiculously overpowered still.  Unkillable juggernauts that heal for more damage than 3 players can dish typically with the right build.  I even felt like I was winning more 1v3s than usual.  I played around with my evasion tanking spec which I used in PvE and 6 people could not bring me down in SPvP (which resulted in a game win of course since that's 6 players not worrying about the objectives).  WvWvW we won a lot of a 2v10+ 3v15+ due with both seige and ridiculous tankiness.  Maybe that's because we were all level 50 too.  Bear and Moa pets can tank entire supply camps and upgraded keep door guards (zealot + guards) without having to swap them out.  It's just stupid how badly this profession needs to be nerfed.  It's worth mentioning we have some of the most powerful passive effect signets and the what is probably easily the best elite in the game.

I think it's all the Rangers using longbow.  We saw so many of them in this stress and there damage is just so laughable.  Literally poking me for 200 damage (with 22khp and constant regen) with the slowest weapon in the game.  It's just bad how out of balance the weapons are at the moment and so many Rangers just stick to longbow that I guess the profession just might not be getting as much feedback as it should be.

You with this nonsense again .... I easily pump out 11k burst volleys , with 2-3k Long Range Shots with Longbow. 

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

ok

Whats your point Champ?

His point is that engineers, just like any other class are actually pretty decent when spec'ed and played right. His mistake was using a video from BWE1.

Here's one from BWE2.

Here's another one.

• DesolousDesolous Member UncommonPosts: 15

The Stress test was fun for me at least. i got to lvl 20 from 17 on my guardian. The Final event was fun. CORRUPTED FTW....

Just wished the game would launch already.... am getting tired of all the teasing.

Originally posted by heartless

ok

Whats your point Champ?

His point is that engineers, just like any other class are actually pretty decent when spec'ed and played right. His mistake was using a video from BWE1.

Here's one from BWE2.

Here's another one.

No ...

Thats the Alpha build for the Engineer, its arguably the only spec that currently works. Thats also failing to mention those drops only work on people who lack awareness or ... skill. Yes I'm saying the Arenanet team needs to learn to play their own game, if they simply conceed the points when Teldo drop his bomb .... they just neutered him. He can only do what he does intermitantly, hell I ran his spec before he posted videos of it as it was either Condition Pistols, Crit Rifle, or Bomb drops. Arena even went so far as to nerf slick shoes to attempt to curb the control this build offers.

Engineers were still nonfactors in this stress test, not competitively viable.

ok

Whats your point Champ?

Here's one from BWE2.

Here's another one.

No ...

Thats the Alpha build for the Engineer, its arguably the only spec that currently works. Thats also failing to mention those drops only work on people who lack awareness or ... skill. Yes I'm saying the Arenanet team needs to learn to play their own game, if they simply conceed the points when Teldo drop his bomb .... they just neutered him. He can only do what he does intermitantly, hell I ran his spec before he posted videos of it as it was either Condition Pistols, Crit Rifle, or Bomb drops. Arena even went so far as to nerf slick shoes to attempt to curb the control this build offers.

First of all, those are 2 videos of 2 different builds. Second of all you should consider the fact the the game is still in closed beta and that a lot of things are bound to change before release. Third of all, relax, it's just a game.

Edit: I accidentally a word.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Here's one from BWE2.

Here's another one.

No ...

First of all, those are 2 videos of 2 different builds. Second of all you should consider the fact the the game is still in closed beta and that a lot of things are bound to change before release. Third of all, relax, it's just a game.

Edit: I accidentally a word.

You guys are both right. Redemp, you are over-exaggerating the weakness of the engineer profession. Is it true that they (and the Mesmer) currently need the most help? Absolutely. However, when comparing them to the other classes overall, they are not as far behind as many people seem to think. They need a little bit of tweaking for sure, but to say they are not viable is a bit of a stretch. They are certainly less versatile than some of the other classes, but they each have a couple of builds that seem to work just fine in sPvP.

ok

Whats your point Champ?

Here's one from BWE2.

Here's another one.

No ...

First of all, those are 2 videos of 2 different builds. Second of all you consider the fact the the game is still in closed beta and the a lot of things are bound to change before release. Third of all, relax, it's just a game.

The first video is him getting his tail kicked, he only survives because he has a Thief doing the dps for him the first fight, and his second kill on the elementalist is due to sheer incompetence on the Ele's part. Theres absolutely nothing his build does, that an elementalist can't do better. Its not viable .... notice how little control and damage the build has. Is it really worth watching past that point, its a bad build ... which is why he doesn't use it. Thats failing to mention it uses a bugged perma swiftness/vigor which the Devs have already addressed.

The question was proposed in the OP what changed with with Engineer ( as well as others ) , I said they were still nonfactors in pvp. They are still not competitively viable because the round of changes hasn't hit yet, certainly not on the Stress test. That doesn't mean they are broken, it just means they aren't competitive.  Obviously things are going to change before release ... this is a beta, never the less I'm still going to anwser honestly about the Engineer. Teldo's videos are making everyone think the Engineer is  competitive in pvp, instead of deconstructing the videos ( like I've done when I was going to main an Engineer) to see what really contributed to his wins some people just assume Engineers are dandy. The videos are used to argue an engineers viability in every thread engineers come up. Lastly I don't need to relax, remember text doesn't convery emotion accurately ... how you read something isn't nessecarily how someone wrote it.

All in all the Engineer needs work, lost of work ... lots of minor work. It's not broken ..... its just not competitive. I rarely lost 1v1's on my Engineer ... thats not because the profession is viable ... its because the majority of people on these bwe's haven't found a viable build on their profession yet.

• Makeitso_GWMakeitso_GW Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Sebber
    Originally posted by Sebber
    Originally posted by Sixpax

I was unable to attend the stress test so I'm hoping people who did play could comment on noticable game play changes.

I'm personally interested in changes to the Engineer and Mesmer (did they fix the Phantasmal Haste bug?).

It was the same build from BWE 2, so there is no changes. You have to wait until BWE 3 to se the new stuff.

After BWE2 there was a fairly large download that took place. So something was done.

There was nothing done, the patch is for the closed beta under NDA.

Then I guess the new bugs magically appeared with nothing being done.

Strange isn't it? 

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by chryses

I broke down and played some which I wasn't going to do.  I was not impressed with this test. Seemed like a step backwards in many respects. I did not see any major changes but there were tons more bugs it seemed.  I had way more lag than BWE and i'm on a low pop server.  Pets still stopped working randomly. The trading post bugged out and they had to shut it down. I was not able to use unidentified dyes (during BWE2 I could).  The event also did not work and they had to extend the test by an hour. If ya go look at the bug forum you will see it is over 5 pages long so for a few hour test.

No idea how much fixing they have really done since BWE2, probably not much. But this reaffirmed that this game is no where close to ready for release.

They did state up front that as they are 'stress testing' there will be disconnects, performance issues (lag), loading between maps and instability. 

I believe this was more about pushing the system to identify server/performance issues rather than gameplay.  This was not a BWE.

*sigh* I seriously wonder if anyone read this post past "it had way more lag." Every person who has responded to it says what you said while ignoring the rest of what I said...

Stress tests usually feature deliberate gimping of the server set up, in order to identify bottlenecks and nail down capacity numbers for zones and servers, etc... So, if you lead with a complaint on lag, it should be understandable that it's going to be answered.

Pets are an ongoing issue, it's very possible that they haven't touched the pet ai in this build because they are still working on it on the dev servers. The trading post was unforseen and they actually asknowledged it pretty quickly and assured us they would start troubleshooting that issue immediately following the end of the stress test.

If unidentified dyes weren't doing anything, that may be a hint that they are doing away with unidentified dyes all together. I hope so, because not being able to buy specific dyes from others makes collecting 400 shades of dyes a lot more difficult. Finding dyes in GW1 that you knew would sell well was always a thrill, it would be nice to have that in GW2.

I'm sure issues with the event were discouraging to them, but it's not like delays in spawning special events is something you would delay the launch for. Once the game goes live and we can play as much as we want, no one is going to care if an occassional special live event starts 20-30 minutes late.

5 pages of feedback in the bug forum, many of which were probably repeats, is not a big deal, As far as over all buginess, I have to completely disagree with you. Other than the Trading Post bug and the delay of the events on some servers, I encountered no bugs. In fact, I spent a good bit of the test in Gendarran Fields, the level 25-35 zone we first saw in BWE2 and I was extremely pleased with what I found. First time around many DEs were bugged or didn't spawn at all and half the Skill Point Challenges were broken. Today, the zone was teaming with properly functioning DEs and I was able to complete the SPCs I wasn't able to during BWE2.

There was progress to be found in the stress test and I'm sure some fixes won't be seen until BWE3.

If it hadn't been for the Trading Post Bug, I would have said the stress test showed a game and content extremely close to being launch ready. I have no doubt that the trading Post will be fixed soon, most of any outstanding BWE2 bugs not addressed by today will be addressed in time for BWE3 and the content and 98% of the game systems we have seen to date are actually already more than release worthy.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

ok

Whats your point Champ?

Here's one from BWE2.

Here's another one.

No ...

First of all, those are 2 videos of 2 different builds. Second of all you consider the fact the the game is still in closed beta and the a lot of things are bound to change before release. Third of all, relax, it's just a game.

The first video is him getting his tail kicked, he only survives because he has a Thief doing the dps for him the first fight, and his second kill on the elementalist is due to sheer incompetence on the Ele's part. Theres absolutely nothing his build does, that an elementalist can't do better. Its not viable .... notice how little control and damage the build has. Is it really worth watching past that point, its a bad build ... which is why he doesn't use it. Thats failing to mention it uses a bugged perma swiftness/vigor which the Devs have already addressed.

The question was proposed in the OP what changed with with Engineer ( as well as others ) , I said they were still nonfactors in pvp. They are still not competitively viable because the round of changes hasn't hit yet, certainly not on the Stress test. That doesn't mean they are broken, it just means they aren't competitive.  Obviously things are going to change before release ... this is a beta, never the less I'm still going to anwser honestly about the Engineer. Teldo's videos are making everyone think the Engineer is  competitive in pvp, instead of deconstructing the videos ( like I've done when I was going to main an Engineer) to see what really contributed to his wins some people just assume Engineers are dandy. The videos are used to argue an engineers viability in every thread engineers come up. Lastly I don't need to relax, remember text doesn't convery emotion accurately ... how you read something isn't nessecarily how someone wrote it.

All in all the Engineer needs work, lost of work ... lots of minor work. It's not broken ..... its just not competitive. I rarely lost 1v1's on my Engineer ... thats not because the profession is viable ... its because the majority of people on these bwe's haven't found a viable build on their profession yet.

All classes need work, lots of work because the game is is closed beta and not finished.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Didn't read the entire thread, but the only difference I noticed was that I was able to log in and play this time.  In the last beta weekend there was the memory leak issue effected a varied list of GPUs from rendering the client.  I was in the list and couldn't play, but they fixed it and I was able to play.

Unfortunately for only as hr.  Must've gotten enough sleep, cause I got up to refill my drink and during the walk back to my PC, I sat down to pet my dogs, I awoke several hours later on the floor next to my dogs, so ah well!

Just happy ANet fixed the memory leak and I got to explore Tyria once again for a short while..  Havn't gotten further than lvl 5-6 though, cause I'd rather wait to see more on a permanent character, but I at least helped with stressing the server and exploring the world for bugs ~ of which I found none!

• Thanks for the replies so far everyone.  BTW, does anyone know the answer to the question on the Mesmer Phantasmal Haste bug and whether that was fixed?

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712
    Originally posted by Sixpax

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.  BTW, does anyone know the answer to the question on the Mesmer Phantasmal Haste bug and whether that was fixed?

as far as i could tell no didnt seem no diff to me

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by drel
    I agree that the hype just didn't seem to be there as before. Areanet will continue to lose potential players if these teasing beta/stress events continue much longer

You mean the ones that have already bought the game? :P