Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait no one has played more than 500 hours?

NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

"Paul Sage: I think, for us, it’s really a matter of making sure the game feels fresh right away. I can’t say more to how it feels after you’ve played 500 hours. No one at the office has played 500 hours."

That's 20 days. They have 250 employees.

The Elder Scrolls Online has been in development for 5 years prior to its announcement in May 2012.

Honestly would not be surprised if there were people working at Zenimax who had never even played an Elder Scrolls game.

Sources:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/11/interview-zenimax-defends-elder-scrolls-online/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Comments

• Zeref.DyverZeref.Dyver Member Posts: 270

Are you trying to make some kind of a point or what?

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Doesn't surprise me noone has played 500 hours on a game that is still in development.

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

If I worked there, Id play every chance I could get. Then again maybe not.  I imagine they would have it open as much as possible though. Hmm

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

devs / employees dont sit down and play a character from 1 to 60, join a guild, and run endgame while they are in development. that is playing the game.

id bet if asked if someone had spent over 500 hours in game, testing .. the answer would be yes .. but that wouldn't shed much light on what it is like to play the game for 500 hours.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by nilden

"Paul Sage: I think, for us, it’s really a matter of making sure the game feels fresh right away. I can’t say more to how it feels after you’ve played 500 hours. No one at the office has played 500 hours."

The Elder Scrolls Online has been in development for 5 years prior to its announcement in May 2012.

Honestly would not be surprised if there were people working at Zenimax who had never even played an Elder Scrolls game.

Sources:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/11/interview-zenimax-defends-elder-scrolls-online/

That's probably incorrect.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Doesn't surprise me noone has played 500 hours on a game that is still in development.

Really?

After 5 years I would have expected an internal tester or quality assurance to have clocked up more then this.

Originally posted by Vesavius

Really?

After 5 years I would have expected an internal tester or quality assurance to have clocked up more then this.

That's not playing, that's testing.

See other posts in this thread.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Zeno89

Yes two actually. Guess I better spell them out.

1. They may have a very different view of the game after playing it for more than 20 days.

2. Why has no one at Zenimax played it for more than 20 days?

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

How do you know if your game is good if you don't even take the time to play it. Hello...

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Originally posted by Zeno89

Yes two actually. Guess I better spell them out.

1. They may have a very different view of the game after playing it for more than 20 days.

2. Why has no one at Zenimax played it for more than 20 days?

I think your confused on what "In Development" means.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Really?

That's not playing, that's testing.

See other posts in this thread.

This just in playing and testing are not an ocean apart, in fact it's more like a puddle. You can test a game just by playing it and play a game while still testing it.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

GUYS!

all your points or valid but consider EVERYTHING the OP is saying.

1. its been in development for 5 years.

2. nobody (not all or some but nobody) has played 500 hours.

yes we know a game that is in development doesnt get played but its almost completed for christ sake!

why do so many people have such a hard time absorbing the main points in something.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by MMOGamer71 Originally posted by Vesavius Originally posted by MMOGamer71 Doesn't surprise me noone has played 500 hours on a game that is still in development.
      Really? After 5 years I would have expected an internal tester or quality assurance to have clocked up more then this.
    That's not playing, that's testing.   See other posts in this thread.
    This just in playing and testing are not an ocean apart, in fact it's more like a puddle. You can test a game just by playing it and play a game while still testing it.

that is a consumer's view of testing probably founded in what companies these days pass off as beta testing (which is 99% about advertising, not testing).

When you are staring at code or vertices on one screen, and trying to figure out why they aren't playing well on another screen. "playing" is the last thing you are doing.

I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

GUYS!

yes we know a game that is in development doesnt get played but its almost completed for christ sake!

why do so many people have such a hard time absorbing the main points in something.

Maybe the guy with 499 hours was reassigned to a different department?

GUYS!

if you want to take zenimax's side then yeah that is the position you should take. I on the other hand will take the position that zenimax are morons and its more than like maybe 50 hours but yeah, you are welcome to that position if that is the one you feel more comfortable with

GUYS!

if you want to take zenimax's side then yeah that is the position you should take. I on the other hand will take the position that zenimax are morons and its more than like maybe 50 hours but yeah, you are welcome to that position if that is the one you feel more comfortable with

Really this is about "taking sides" on a game in development?

How about maybe the hours played reset based on the current build or maybe this issue about hours played is a non issue?

• xSaintxxSaintx Member UncommonPosts: 75

Yeah, really. It's not even finished! 500 hours of unfinished game... 20 days of gameplay is a ton of actual hours... I'd say around 500. :P

GUYS!

How about maybe the hours played reset based on the current build or maybe this issue about hours played is a non issue?

you tell me. its your position that seems to not be clear.

you think its 499 hours or you think its a non issue?

My thought is with it 5 years of dev time asking for 500 hours of total game play near the 'now' phases of development is fairly reasonable request. If it was the first few years I would agree that 500 hours is not being fair

GUYS!

My thought is with it 5 years of dev time asking for 500 hours of total game play near the 'now' phases of development is fairly reasonable request. If it was the first few years I would agree that 500 hours is not being fair

i think it's moronic to be worried about hours played on a game in development period.

Originally posted by MMOGamer71 Originally posted by SEANMCAD Originally posted by MMOGamer71 Originally posted by SEANMCAD GUYS! all your points or valid but consider EVERYTHING the OP is saying. 1. its been in development for 5 years. 2. nobody (not all or some but nobody) has played 500 hours.   yes we know a game that is in development doesnt get played but its almost completed for christ sake!   why do so many people have such a hard time absorbing the main points in something.
    Really this is about "taking sides" on a game in development?   How about maybe the hours played reset based on the current build or maybe this issue about hours played is a non issue?

aleady answered. testing != playing. semantics is the likely culprit.

Originally posted by SEANMCAD Originally posted by MMOGamer71 Originally posted by SEANMCAD Originally posted by MMOGamer71 Originally posted by SEANMCAD GUYS! all your points or valid but consider EVERYTHING the OP is saying. 1. its been in development for 5 years. 2. nobody (not all or some but nobody) has played 500 hours.   yes we know a game that is in development doesnt get played but its almost completed for christ sake!   why do so many people have such a hard time absorbing the main points in something.
    Really this is about "taking sides" on a game in development?   How about maybe the hours played reset based on the current build or maybe this issue about hours played is a non issue?
    you tell me. its your position that seems to not be clear. you think its 499 hours or you think its a non issue? My thought is with it 5 years of dev time asking for 500 hours of total game play near the 'now' phases of development is fairly reasonable request. If it was the first few years I would agree that 500 hours is not being fair
    i think it's moronic to be worried about hours played on a game in development period.

and then theres that .. :)

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

A lot of people making a lot of excuses and trying to justify a statement that simply sheds light on how ZOS develops their games.

Game Design 101: Iterate as early and as often as possible.

I've racked up just shy of 400 hours in Skyrim since its release.  I am not testing it or trying to find bugs/weaknesses.  I am just playing the game, having fun, and being immersed in the world.  I have a full-time job too, friends and family, a girlfriend, and I've still found time for this game.

If none of their 250-person team are dedicated testers (maybe even just 1 guy) then they are in the stone age of game development.  And the fact that they ADMIT it shows that they are terrible at PR.

In contrast to Bethesda who played Skyrim daily from the very get-go, as soon as there was something playable.  You give your team a build each weekend, they go play and test or not and give feedback come Monday.

This is really simple basic stuff that an open dev team would have no issue doing.  See Valve and Bethesda for examples of this.

ZOS on the other hand is a factory, churning out mind-numbing mass-marketed schlock.  So it's no wonder no-one has played the game more than 500 hours, because they can't be bothered.  It isn't compelling enough.  it isn't empassioned enough.

It is a blatant, cash-in.  Watch those guys during interviews, they are barely able to crack a smile when they talk about "cool features the MMO kids are gonna love."

It's really sad.

On the other hand, the statement sounds like a generalization, he clearly doesn't know 100%.  He's definitely NOT making a distinction between "playing" and "testing."  That's another defensive justification.

All the reports from E3 about how the game looked and played did leave me with one nagging question: what the hell have those 250 people been doing for the past 5 years?

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

I can imagine what the mentality is, " Oh it is The Elder Scrolls people will buy it anyway"...

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Let me quote Stephen Colbert:

That's where the truth lies, right down here in the gut. Do you know you have more nerve endings in your gut than you have in your head? You can look it up.

Now, I know some of you are going to say, "I did look it up, and that's not true." That's 'cause you looked it up in a book. Next time, look it up in your gut. I did. My gut tells me that's how our nervous system works.

I have a feeling that a lot of you here use your gut to form your arguments against games. No need to know anything about the development process, or silly things like how the game plays. Your gut is all the fact you need.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Sources:

I wouldnt be surprised if there were people at Zenimax working on TESO who have never played a MMO

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)