Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Concerned About Performance

Comments

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by donjn

The thing is, perception is reality.

I think ArenaNets decision to show the game to this many people in its current state is a mistake. I think they should have tweaked performance first befire showing it to the public. Sure, a lot of us know that they mentioned the performance will be improved, but how many people out there who dont post in forums tried it, hated the performance and now dont want the game?

I am a graphic designer and one time I was working on some new buttons for a web page. I sent these buttons on a blank page to my client and he said, "where is the rest of the site,  you sent me a blank page with buttons". Even though I told him I wanted to solidify the buttons before working on the rest of the site I understand now that it was a mistake.

Even though I knew what I was doing, he received somehting in his mind that was incomplete.

Thank god please whine more. The people who are playing the game right now, are people who bought the game. Maybe Arenanet did not expect 500.000 to buy the game before a release date was given? Arenanet is not showing the game to the public, they are showing the game to people who were interested to test the game in the beta. so they could get the best game at release.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Connmacart

I think ArenaNets decision to show the game to this many people in its current state is a mistake. I think they should have tweaked performance first befire showing it to the public. Sure, a lot of us know that they mentioned the performance will be improved, but how many people out there who dont post in forums tried it, hated the performance and now dont want the game?

I am a graphic designer and one time I was working on some new buttons for a web page. I sent these buttons on a blank page to my client and he said, "where is the rest of the site,  you sent me a blank page with buttons". Even though I told him I wanted to solidify the buttons before working on the rest of the site I understand now that it was a mistake.

Even though I knew what I was doing, he received somehting in his mind that was incomplete.

Erm the BWE aren't for preview purposes. It's for actual testing. They have stated this before every event. If you assumed something else than that is your fault. 

I won't deny for a minute actual testing occurs in BWEs, but don't think for a minute it can't be both.

These BWE events have no NDA. Therefore, we are all free to talk about them. More importantly, any savvy company EXPECTS us to talk about them. You ever have that friend you can't tell things to because you know everyone else will know it pretty much as soon as you tell the person? Yeah, that's us. So Anet's only going to let us talk if they not only expect us to, but want us to. There is definitely a bit of "generate press for the game" coming out of these events.

I disagree with that poster in that I don't think showing the game off at this stage is a mistake. They're showing us one of ht emost highly polished betas I've seen in a long, long time.Yeah, there's bugs. There's performance problems. But compared to...hmm...Anarchy Online, EQ2, EVE, City of Heroes/Villains, WoW, AoC, WAR, and more other games than I can offhand hsake a stick at, this game is relatively stable, the main functions of the game are complete, and so far what we're seeing of the zones is fairly well put together. 

Now there IS a lot of content we haven't seen yet and that is a tad unsettling...but I'm hoping to hear that we'll see a lot more of it in BWE3. Maybe have a date by then too.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Personally, I've noticed a steady increase in performance. During the first BWE I would get about 20-30  FPS if I'm lucky. I even had to turn down the shadows. During the last BWE I would get about 40+ FPS in all but the largest WvW fights. That's on 1920x1080 with everything set to highest possible settings. My hardware didn't change so it must have been something that ANet did.

I have no doubt that as the game nears release, performance is going to improve even more. Also keep in mind, if you're having some performance issues right now, it's possible that it's deliberately done by ANet for testing purposes.

• V-L-A-DV-L-A-D Member Posts: 50

In my oppinion there isn't any problem with performance, it's all about lag. I have s mid-range notebook (2.4GHz intel core 2 Duo P8600, nVidia GeForce 9600GT M, 5400RPM HDD) I'm running the game on 1280*800 resolution, with all graphics set to medium and reflections to max. The game runs just fine, in the beginning I started playing on Underworld server and I had huge lag but then I moved my character to a low population server and everything is fine.

Sorry for bad English. :)

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Anet have certainly made big changes that have improved performance. I have a modest system , 4 core 3.2, Gtx 460 and at the start I had 15 fps in lion arch at 1980 maxed out. Last beta I got 30.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I just hope they fix the issues with lack of Crossfire and Eyefinity support.  I did notice a bump up in performance in the last beta weekend though.

In not so crowded wilderness areas I was getting 40ish FPS on average it seemed.

I play at 7680 x 1600 resolution.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz clocked at 3.15

4 Gb Ram

AMD 5850 HD

WIndows 7

I am a tech/gamer so my PC runs well, no junk, antivirus, etxc.... I am OCD about keeping my system optimized perfectly. I run all games on max settings with ease.

That's your problem right there.   Your passmark (unclocked) is spec'd to around 2550 and is OC'd to very low 2800ish.   I have an i7 that's over-clocked to 3.8GHz and is coming in at 10,150ish on the passmark.  

I don't get any real CPU-bound issues, though I get some at times.   You, OTOH, should expect CPU-bound issues like you're getting.

Your graphics card, OTOH, when they optimize the client and move it the GPU will be fine.   YOu don't need a new computer, though a MOBO upgrade to a more robust CPU is in your future.   YOu're just obsolete, but not broken, at this point in time.

EDIT:  BTW, 10,150 passmark will only get me to 22nd, or so, on the CPU list.    I don't think I have God's gift to CPUs.   This machine was cutting edge two years ago when I bought it.  But it's two years old.   Still a great computer.   But it's not in the nosebleed elite:    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html    Intel Xeon X5675 @ 3.07GHz is my equivalent passmark CPU.     

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by V-L-A-D

In my oppinion there isn't any problem with performance, it's all about lag. I have s mid-range notebook (2.4GHz intel core 2 Duo P8600, nVidia GeForce 9600GT M, 5400RPM HDD) I'm running the game on 1280*800 resolution, with all graphics set to medium and reflections to max. The game runs just fine, in the beginning I started playing on Underworld server and I had huge lag but then I moved my character to a low population server and everything is fine.

Nope.  YOu have the same issue as the OP.   Your CPU is obsolete.    In fact, his is a lot better.   Your passmark is 1640.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

AMD X3 425 (2.7Ghz)
    EVGA GTX460 (v1 chipset) SC 786Mb OC's extra 15% to +30% of default setting @1920x1080
    8Gb DDR2 800Mhz
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

With 1st beta I had 15FPS everywhere. Clearly, GPU was not working there other than just outputting what CPU gave it. Tonight I was walking around a bit and had 25FPS in Divinity Reach and 20-25 outside of it.

Best thing is that aside from the low FPS FRAPS shows, the performance is EXCELLENT. No stuttering of the screen, no vertical stripe (v-sync problem mostly) or anything else. It's clear that though GW2 is still not GPU optimized, the performance is already very good on low FPS. Now let them take their time to drop more and more functions to the GPU and see how the performance will raise ;)

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

People should be concerned because at release they will have many more players piling in. Today the perfomance wasn't that much better.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Having been in several betas in my lifetime, and been told it is "just a beta, we are working on performance" I have my doubts. I have a very good system that runs pretty much everything at high settings on most games today pretty well.

Rift has always ran kind of above average but not great. They told us during beta it would get better and it did, but not by much.

I am concerned that GW2 is not going to run much better than it does. I know they said that it is CPU heavy in the beta, but I am not sure if I buy that. I think this is the way the game was written and there is not much more they can do.

Keep in mind what you say "runs well" and what I say runs well could be two different things. All I know is that when I game is hovering around 30fps and sometimes dips below that mark (when your eye starts noticing choppiness) it bugs me.

Really curious as to what system you have.

Game runs great for me, and my system really isn't all that awesome. Seems to run great for most people (i.e. above 30fps). Also, as others have said, the game is currently CPU heavy (still), so that may be where your problem is. Most of the workload hasn't been shifted over to the GPU yet. That may be part of you're fps issues.

edit: oh, on a side note: there have been some fps hits with large scale encounters (over 100+ players on the screen at one time). This sometimes causes a dip to 15-20fps, but I haven't really seen any games that don't have that issue.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by Mephster

People should be concerned because at release they will have many more players piling in. Today the perfomance wasn't that much better.

obvious wasnt problems with FPS....was LAG. on sPvP i have 40-60fps with everything on max and with just i3210+hd6850.

WvW didnt test but must be the same compared with BW2, on large fights low fps, by large i mean much more 50 guys

lag on last hour was very bad but is a stress test nothing to worry. after what we saw on BW2 performance for sure will not be a problem on GW2

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by Mephster

Today was a stress test. The whole point of it was to strech the servers to the max. I expect Anet reduced available resources on each server and took other measures to simulate extremely high resource usage. There was a very clear announcement on the GW2 patcher stating that as it is a stress test you are likely to experience lag, connection issues, latency etc etc

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• MadKingMadKing Member UncommonPosts: 173

My PC specs are

Intel i5 2500k clocked at 4.2GHz

8G 1600 DDR3 Ram Cas 8

1TB Samsung F3 HDD

EVGA GTX 570 HD

Built it over a year ago

I'm able to run the game at max setting at 1080p with no major problems, framerates usual stay around 50 to 60 FPS one average and dropped to around 30 when there's a lot going on on the screen. overall the perfomance is as good, I was getting the same FPS on Aion. they've mentioned they're still working on optimization so I expect things will get a bit smoother.

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221

This quote was from the GW2 offical forum today.

"We are currently optimizing Guild Wars 2, making ongoing improvements to the game’s frame rate. Presently, the game is CPU-bound on most high-end systems, so lowering graphics settings or upgrading your video card may not have a large impact on performance. Due to this, you can expect much lower frame rates that you would normally achieve with even higher end hardware. This isn’t an issue with your system but an intended design for optimization of the game engine. As we near retail launch, these GPU optimizations will be enabled and your performance should increase."

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

performance awas A LOT better in my case in this stress test!

using a  Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q8200  @ 2.33GHz, 2331 Mhz & GTX260

even during event & WvWvW....

Now back to the waiting for the next BWE !

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

I had severe lag in BWE1 but BW2 and both stress tests were absolutely awesome.

No FPS problem and no lag problems (maybe a hiccup here and there)

..Cake..

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by MosesZD

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz clocked at 3.15

4 Gb Ram

AMD 5850 HD

WIndows 7

I am a tech/gamer so my PC runs well, no junk, antivirus, etxc.... I am OCD about keeping my system optimized perfectly. I run all games on max settings with ease.

That's your problem right there.   Your passmark (unclocked) is spec'd to around 2550 and is OC'd to very low 2800ish.   I have an i7 that's over-clocked to 3.8GHz and is coming in at 10,150ish on the passmark.  

I don't get any real CPU-bound issues, though I get some at times.   You, OTOH, should expect CPU-bound issues like you're getting.

Your graphics card, OTOH, when they optimize the client and move it the GPU will be fine.   YOu don't need a new computer, though a MOBO upgrade to a more robust CPU is in your future.   YOu're just obsolete, but not broken, at this point in time.

EDIT:  BTW, 10,150 passmark will only get me to 22nd, or so, on the CPU list.    I don't think I have God's gift to CPUs.   This machine was cutting edge two years ago when I bought it.  But it's two years old.   Still a great computer.   But it's not in the nosebleed elite:    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html    Intel Xeon X5675 @ 3.07GHz is my equivalent passmark CPU.     

Just curious, but what site/programs you using to determine passmark? Would like to see how mine comes in.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

GW2 is a Directx 9 game. I have not seen anywhere that it will have Dx11 modes at all.

Which DirectX will Guild Wars 2 Support?  Hope that helps

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

It's already in better shape than a lot of MMOs are after launch. The game does need further optimization and they have talked about this. The game is more than playable as is. I have a friend who plays on a laptop barely above the minimum specs and though he has to lower settings, he finds performance acceptable and says the game still looks pretty good as well.

I'm running on a 4Ghz Phenom II X6 with a GTX 570 video card. I play on max settings, but with Depth and Edge turned on and average between 35-45 FPS out in the world. Some few places may dip down to 25 FPS and others jump up to around 60. The only reason I know it occassionally dips is my FPS OSD. I don't feel any performance lag while playing.

I haven't tested lower settings. One thing I've been meaning to do, but forgot about during the short stress test today.

The game systems and UI are extremely polished. The vast majority of content has been bug free. I don't see any reason why they would wangt to have delayed the start of the BWE process. They've been clear these events are actual development betas, not just "try before launch" marketing events. As far as betas go, things are looking great and most elements of the game are more than release worthy.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by fiontar

It's already in better shape than a lot of MMOs are after launch. The game does need further optimization and they have talked about this. The game is more than playable as is. I have a friend who plays on a laptop barely above the minimum specs and though he has to lower settings, he finds performance acceptable and says the game still looks pretty good as well.

I'm running on a 4Ghz Phenom II X6 with a GTX 570 video card. I play on max settings, but with Depth and Edge turned on and average between 35-45 FPS out in the world. Some few places may dip down to 25 FPS and others jump up to around 60. The only reason I know it occassionally dips is my FPS OSD. I don't feel any performance lag while playing.

I haven't tested lower settings. One thing I've been meaning to do, but forgot about during the short stress test today.

The game systems and UI are extremely polished. The vast majority of content has been bug free. I don't see any reason why they would wangt to have delayed the start of the BWE process. They've been clear these events are actual development betas, not just "try before launch" marketing events. As far as betas go, things are looking great and most elements of the game are more than release worthy.

I did. I didn't really see much improvement in FPS. The only thing that gave me a slight increase in FPS were removing the shadows but the 5FPS increase wasn't worth it. I can't play without shadows.

Basically it further proves that the game is still very much CPU bound but it's getting better with each BWE. I only played for 30 mins today but I didn't really notice any perfomance drops compared to the last BWE.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

if anyone noticed improvements to the client today, it's your imagination. the build is the same as BWE2. game is still CPU bound.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Originally posted by TheTrueKing

GW2 is a Directx 9 game. I have not seen anywhere that it will have Dx11 modes at all.

Which DirectX will Guild Wars 2 Support?  Hope that helps

Are you even aware of how stupid you look? It is especially funny when someone tries to make someone look stupid, and then THEY look stupid.

I never said that GW2 did not support Directx10. It does. And it is true, GW2 does not support Directx11. I knew this, and Googling it has no evidence otherwise...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Having been in several betas in my lifetime, and been told it is "just a beta, we are working on performance" I have my doubts. I have a very good system that runs pretty much everything at high settings on most games today pretty well.

Rift has always ran kind of above average but not great. They told us during beta it would get better and it did, but not by much.

I am concerned that GW2 is not going to run much better than it does. I know they said that it is CPU heavy in the beta, but I am not sure if I buy that. I think this is the way the game was written and there is not much more they can do.

Keep in mind what you say "runs well" and what I say runs well could be two different things. All I know is that when I game is hovering around 30fps and sometimes dips below that mark (when your eye starts noticing choppiness) it bugs me.

The performance in the stress test is expected to be pretty bad, and I heard they are using an old build.

Bad performance in BWE2 is a bigger concern though but I frankly had twice your FPS or more all the time. In the first Rift beta I had 20 (which improved to 25 in the second and a lot more later).

I am not worried but you might need some upgrade or to clean out some background crap on your computer.

Of course it might also be that my hexa core CPU did the difference, it is rather CPU bound right now.

Anyways, I never been in a beta where the performance havn't improved a lot in the months before and up to launch. Only exceptions were Lineage (1) and Tera which were optimized already and just translated and fixed up. 

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

I am telling you guys right now. Mark my words. It aint getting much better than this. Performance might improve slightly, but not by much. I have seen betas like this many, many times.

There is no magic wand that they are going to wave on the evening of August 27th, the night before launch to improve performance.  The engine is what it is...It is the Guild Wars 1 engine that struggles to handle the updated graphics of GW2.

Another point, they made it sound so easy to flip a "switch" and make the game not CPU bound. Well, then do it. Right now. Why not?