Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP: Yay or Nay?

13»

Comments

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Thanks for all the imput.

I ended up buying the game. I really like the games setting and skill system and found the PvE to be quite entertaining. While I do tend to gravitate toward the more "hardcore" PvP games honestly I just don't have the time to play them anymore so this one will most likely hold my interest till the end of summer

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Buying a MMORPG for pvp alone will only break your heart. Buying a MMORPG because you like the whole game overall would be money well spent.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

People saying that the game will never be balanced for pvp is rather hillarious.

Balance is what occurs when differing classes/skill sets face each other in pvp where one has an inherent advantage. This by definition means that one player has access to advantages another does not.

Everyone in this game has access to every skill. If you feel you cannot compete against a deck build ... then simply switch it out for another.

There will always be skill sets that are better in certain situations over others. There will always be decks better suited for pvp than others. This is the nature of having so many skills with differing themes and applications against both pvp and pve in extremely dynamic situations. There are more states and secondary effects in TSW than most other games as well. Pvp is in fact a very focused theme where some mechanics will be better suited than others. The game is far grander than pvp alone so some skills will obviously not reach their full benefit in pvp.

When considering the nature of the word "balance" in traditional mmo's this game is actually 100% balanced ... you are not restricted at all from taking the exact same skills that just whooped your ass.

You stay sassy!

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

it's better than SWTOR pvp.. :)

LOL that's not really saying much. SWTOR has horrible PvP.

It doesn't seem better,  Ilum is bigger than the static PvP zone, there are objectives there. only time will tell if TSW can balance servers and factions to fill it.

SWTOR has world PvP.

SWTOR has much better PvP mini games, warzones, battlegrounds, whatever you wish to call it.

SWTOR has beter animations, skills, and combat mechanics.

The players still there are for the most part people who roll tons of alts or die hard PvP players and yet it is the second most played MMO today so it didn't totaly die, yet.

If you look at TSW, I doubt it could go toe to toe in PvP with SWTOR, Aion, WoW - 3 months post launch, DoAC, guild wars 1, GW2, Eve, for some reason I think Tera will stay ahead FFA PvP servers and much better combat, maybe rifts expansion.

It has many of the issues SWTOR had, crap itemization and scaling, lack of reward, gear >>> skill, in starcraft we call them build order wins but in TSW if you spec the right way you can face roll most players while only spamming 2 buttons - SWTOR had overpowered class builds. I just don't see TSW keeping many players due to the PvP, maybe a couple of die hard fans that love spamming two buttons but there are to many issues and my faith in them being resolved is zero.  Funcom's last game Age of Conan's PvP got much worse after launch.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by tares

It doesn't seem better,  Ilum is bigger than the static PvP zone, there are objectives there. only time will tell if TSW can balance servers and factions to fill it.

Bigger =/= Better.

SWTOR has world PvP.

As much as people scream for world PvP, no one does it in most modern MMOs. Because the rewards aren't there and players go where the rewards are. 

SWTOR has much better PvP mini games, warzones, battlegrounds, whatever you wish to call it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I guess.

SWTOR has beter animations, skills, and combat mechanics.

^

The players still there are for the most part people who roll tons of alts or die hard PvP players and yet it is the second most played MMO today so it didn't totaly die, yet.

Proof?

If you look at TSW, I doubt it could go toe to toe in PvP with SWTOR, Aion, WoW - 3 months post launch, DoAC, guild wars 1, GW2, Eve, for some reason I think Tera will stay ahead FFA PvP servers and much better combat, maybe rifts expansion.

It has many of the issues SWTOR had, crap itemization and scaling, lack of reward, gear >>> skill, in starcraft we call them build order wins but in TSW if you spec the right way you can face roll most players while only spamming 2 buttons - SWTOR had overpowered class builds. I just don't see TSW keeping many players due to the PvP, maybe a couple of die hard fans that love spamming two buttons but there are to many issues and my faith in them being resolved is zero.  Funcom's last game Age of Conan's PvP got much worse after launch.

The hate is strong in this one.

But hey, we'll certainly see!

.. But in a good way.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    TSW if you spec the right way you can face roll most players while only spamming 2 buttons - SWTOR had overpowered class builds. I just don't see TSW keeping many players due to the PvP, maybe a couple of die hard fans that love spamming two buttons but there are to many issues and my faith in them being resolved is zero.  Funcom's last game Age of Conan's PvP got much worse after launch.

You don't have a clue about anything in regards to TSW.  What you can do is read other threads in this very forum to extrapolate on that.  Doesn't mean the other thread is right and certainly doesn't make you right about the broad comments you've been making in regards to TSW.

Originally posted by jdnyc
    TSW if you spec the right way you can face roll most players while only spamming 2 buttons - SWTOR had overpowered class builds. I just don't see TSW keeping many players due to the PvP, maybe a couple of die hard fans that love spamming two buttons but there are to many issues and my faith in them being resolved is zero.  Funcom's last game Age of Conan's PvP got much worse after launch.

You don't have a clue about anything in regards to TSW.  What you can do is read other threads in this very forum to extrapolate on that.  Doesn't mean the other thread is right and certainly doesn't make you right about the broad comments you've been making in regards to TSW.

I'm in closed beta. They wiped all the toons yesterday and the bot to give free level 10 gear isn't there as promised.  I'm almost done the entire story and all non bugged red/gold quest 50 hours /played.

15% of the main/red/gold quests are real good, the rest are go kill this, pick up this, but is free so whatever.

Also, I don't think SWTOR's PvP owns. I was able to PvP there for 3 months on a single toon, waiting for some overhaul to everything and it didn't happen. It is just better when compared to TSW.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

I'm in closed beta. They wiped all the toons yesterday and the bot to give free level 10 gear isn't there as promised.  I'm almost done the entire story and all non bugged red/gold quest 55 hours /played.

red/gold quests?  really.  that's a new way for labeling content for someone who put that much time in the game.

btw - entire story plus all missions is more than 55 hours played.

I'm in closed beta. They wiped all the toons yesterday and the bot to give free level 10 gear isn't there as promised.  I'm almost done the entire story and all non bugged red/gold quest 55 hours /played.

red/gold quests?  really.  that's a new way for labeling calling content out for someone who put that much time in the game.

I have a zone and 1/2 left, so 15 more hours max, if I don't rush. Unless there is some crazy 20 hours worth of final mission type junk, which I doubt.  In fact I would have done it much faster if so many quest were not bugged, some were broken which stalled me, but others would just bug out and I took the time to test it, for instance a spawn I needed to kill kept glitching so I ran off and reset it 10 times before it was fixed.

PvE is OK for a single player MMO, I don't care much for the instances as the ui, combat scrolling text, and boss animations are pretty bland. Maybe that is why I don't care for the PvP, I have no clue what the other guy is doing aside from building and spending and in the end gear or a couple of stuns will win.

• DarkDemon69DarkDemon69 Member Posts: 154

Its a zergfest with no skill involved.

• Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by DarkDemon69

Agree 100%. We laughed at how ridiculous the PvP was the whole time we were trying it. No skill, zergfest deathmatch.

Originally posted by tankage
    Originally posted by DarkDemon69

Agree 100%. We laughed at how ridiculous the PvP was the whole time we were trying it. No skill, zergfest deathmatch.

Whats worse is when one side dominates the other sides leave so its very boring.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah but again it was beta, no reason to stay and defend. In live there is every reason to defend due to the mark distribution system.
  • rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

red/gold quests?  really.  that's a new way for labeling calling content out for someone who put that much time in the game.

I have a zone and 1/2 left, so 15 more hours max, if I don't rush. Unless there is some crazy 20 hours worth of final mission type junk, which I doubt.  In fact I would have done it much faster if so many quest were not bugged, some were broken which stalled me, but others would just bug out and I took the time to test it, for instance a spawn I needed to kill kept glitching so I ran off and reset it 10 times before it was fixed.

PvE is OK for a single player MMO, I don't care much for the instances as the ui, combat scrolling text, and boss animations are pretty bland. Maybe that is why I don't care for the PvP, I have no clue what the other guy is doing aside from building and spending and in the end gear or a couple of stuns will win.

I doubt you did 6 full zones in 55 hours, but since there is no way to prove you are lying, you are free to say anything you want.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Yeah but again it was beta, no reason to stay and defend. In live there is every reason to defend due to the mark distribution system.

No people wont stay and defend if they are being rolled by one side.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

It won't be a zerg fest once people have more than 3 days to play it and more than few skills open in the tree.

When people are supposed to get there for real or are QL10 and have more options people will have more strategy.

But it probably doesn't matter to someone who has no intention of playing (or has never played) and is just here to bash it.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430
    Originally posted by Dakirn

It won't be a zerg fest once people have more than 3 days to play it and more than few skills open in the tree.

When people are supposed to get there for real or are QL10 and have more options people will have more strategy.

But it probably doesn't matter to someone who has no intention of playing (or has never played) and is just here to bash it.

this, also, when the cabals enter the PvP, it is going to be far more organized...

I can see for exemple: Illuminati cabals working together so they make each one of them enter PvP in a time of the day to keep total control of the PvP bonus 24/7. so the PvP starts to be cabal x cabal x cabal during each organized time spam.

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227

Dragons and Illuminati starting quest was introduced only at weekend #3 (correct me if I'm wrong). Meaning that all players who played throughout all weekends were likely to be templars, and likely to have explored the pve content already, leaving only the new content to try out during weekend #4

Fusang was overcrowded with templars and that is why we had no chance to try some balanced skirmishes or strategies (well the strategies mostly because no1 cared I guess). We can claim today that fusang will fail or Fusang will be good, in a few week we will be able to brag about our foreseeing powers and say "I told ya!!!" but the truth is that we have no way to know how it will fare.

On a side note: After 20 minutes in there, in reply to someone who was yelling aloud something like "This is f...g awesome" and "best pvp ever" I dared to answer in chat (general or faction, can't recall) "It looks like a zerg fest to me". You can imagine the hate all Fanbois threw at me. That's probably personal opinion but I agree that, at least during open beta, Fusang was just a zerg of players moving around, or at least when I was in.

This doesn't mean it will be the same once cabals, faction balance and gear balance comes into play.