Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Jeremy Gaffney Talks Progress

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

WildStar is a game that is squarely on many people's radar these days and Carbine Studios is ready to unleash more information on its fans. We managed to catch up to Executive Producer Jeremy Gaffney to talk about WildStar. See what he has to say and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

MMORPG: The video for your WildStar Wednesday Friends and Family video looked amazing can you talk about the progress on polishing the game?

Jeremy Gaffney: Glad you liked it!  We’re having fun, is the short form.  We’ve got a small core group of people playing that are quite literally our friends and family. We’re collecting their feedback regularly, allowing us to iterate our systems and code for them every eight weeks or so, and internally the game changes daily.

Read Bill Murphy's WildStar: Jeremy Gaffney Talks Progress.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

What about end-game? I'm very skeptical.

• MallarkyMallarky Member Posts: 73
    I'm skeptical about any of these new games on the horizon. Time will tell if it is innovative and fun or the same rehashed garbage...
  • kastakasta Member Posts: 512

I hope this game is as much fun as it looks.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

I have a feeling this game will play better than any other MMORPG out there. I like how they're breaking down the idea of MMO combat and trying to put variety of action (other than choosing what ability to use) into that. 

The animation looks really good, and the damn thing just looks fun,  even whimsical in a good way. 

I won't be surprised if it conjures up some of that WOW magic with fluidity and freedom of action.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Purple haired bunny ladies = WoW Killer.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

looks promising ill keep an eye on it :)

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442
    Originally posted by Greenzor

What about endgame?

What about early game, or mid game...

Heres an idea what about just plain old GAME?

Wildstar certainly seems like its trying to take the genre in a new direction, one which does away with this repatitive notion of end game, and focuses more on the gamers playstyles and how different people have fun in different ways.

End Gamers are a dying breed, and in my opinion they were never a breed to begin with - they were more of a genetic mutation, one which only affected 1% of the MMO population... but everyone payed attention to them, because they were so horribly mutated.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

When you have to say that a game is "on many people's radar," it likely isn't.

Joined - July 2004

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

im all for taking your time to make a quality game .. but these articles .. with no real information .. are getting a little old =P

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Originally posted by Kreedz

What about endgame?

What about early game, or mid game...

Heres an idea what about just plain old GAME?

As long as there's a level cap, there will be people wanting to do something once they reach it.

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

A settler class, and an explorer class. These are the things Im interested in. All MMOs nowadays are about combat. Finding one thats not strictly combat will be interesting. Being able to make a settlment/inn/waypoint for other players to stop at? That sounds pretty cool

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Zaltark
    A settler class, and an explorer class. These are the things Im interested in. All MMOs nowadays are about combat. Finding one thats not strictly combat will be interesting. Being able to make a settlment/inn/waypoint for other players to stop at? That sounds pretty cool

They sound interesting in theory, but the way they talk about them I get the feeling they are just cute wrappers .. more akin to the legacy system than anything else. Just have to wait and see I guess.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I really don't see how anyone could be interested in this game right now...

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

Agreed.  I've been interested in this game since seeing the first promotional video a while back.  With GW2 release scheduled for 28th August, though, don't know if I'll be playing anything else, particularly if it has a monthly sub.

• cloudvaultercloudvaulter Member UncommonPosts: 25

Im totally stoked about this game and can only hope I am one of the lucky ones chosen for beta so I can get out of my dead mmo state.  One thing amonst many-the dev's listen to the community and have great communication.

• kuroionikuroioni Member UncommonPosts: 26

These are not classes but paths;

"Jeremy Gaffney: Well, Paths are a cool system for us – separate from races or classes, they let you choose your play style."

Which, I think, means, that whichever class (or race) you choose, you can add this extra layer of playstyle customization called a path.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Oh man please behave yourself!  Its about the journey, not the bloody destination.  If they do it right you wont get to "endgame"..  There will always be something new on the horizon to travel to.

• cloudvaultercloudvaulter Member UncommonPosts: 25

'End game' to me is a very linear, theme park term and hope to God it never applies to this potential diamond in the rough.  Just build the world, give me the tools and let me go.  I really wonder where peoples' idiology of mmo's comes from because i can remember a time when terms like 'end game', 'BG's' - even 'quest' - were foriegn, unknown terms.

Certainly not bashing for asking about end game-thats not my point. I just see this game in a different light after having spent some time reviewing their site, off-site reviews, videos etc.  I think so far the Wildstar dev team is on a good track and wish for that track to remain outside the over copied box.  I like the passion and commitment I see and whats crazy is - this isnt my norm of a game as far as design & theme.  But the things that stand out are the things that have been at the top of my own priority wish list for an mmo for a very long unfullfilled time.

The mmo's I remember were massive communities where seriously- most everyone knew 'of' every other person because most everyone played together for half decades or longer together. 

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

And if this does turn out to be sandboxish, then it wont really have endgame. In a sandbox, endgame is what you make it. Not what they give you(Themepark).

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Maybe it's just me, but all I am seeing is 'more of the same' here.  Especially when looking at the visual style. One could be forgiven for thinking this was a WoW clip, and I'm not saying that to be funny.  It's just not all that different looking.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126

I was hoping from the time I first saw the original video, when they first announced it, that it would be sandbox. Being able to build new flightpaths for people to use?? Social quests?? I want to know if we'll have houses in the towns we build up- something that's not been done since Ultima Online. Where do I sign up for a lifetime sub?

Shut up and take my money!!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm intrigued by this game. It may be something special, but it may also turn out to be more of the "same old same old". Too early to tell, but I'll watch it with interest.

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

been watching Wildstar for a while now... and my interest is just getting progressively more and more piqued. their trickling of information (cautious but not without substance) is perfect and it always impresses me.

i love Mr. Gaffney's tone and attitude; he seems to value a Challenging, Fun, and Varied game experience - three adjectives that MMORPGs mostly fail to create in equal measures. i can only hope that this is the driving force and overall atmosphere in the development team and translates into the game designs. if this is the solid foundation then the amount of content at release is no worry to me - can always be patched in, etc.

every night i log into a C3 voice game channel and more and more i hear Wildstar being raved about. It's really looking good to me and my guildees. dont care how many MMOs have failed to deliver... i take each new game on an individual basis and wont be cynical. good luck Carbine.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Definitely one I'm keeping an eye on... sure it looks like WoW, but part of me is still chasing that vanilla WoW experience.

Question about paths though... is there any way to mix and match or go half / half? As I Iove exploring, but also like me some interesting lore / backstory to go with it... so ideally I'd like to be a scientist explorer, and picking between them is just going to be painful.

PS. Combat sounds / looks a lot like GW2, which is a good thing... just make sure to include a decent amount of 1 vs. 1 challenge so it doesn't get stale.

Originally posted by Wolfhammer

Oh man please behave yourself!  Its about the journey, not the bloody destination.  If they do it right you wont get to "endgame"..  There will always be something new on the horizon to travel to.

"If they do it right"...

We're talking about the same stuff, the difference is that you're all hyped and naïve, and I'm skeptical. You see, I also wish that they "do it right" but looking at past trends of other MMOs, I can't be as hyped as you are.