Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A First Timer's Impression. Not Impressed.

amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42

I really really wanted to like the game, but the frustration I'm going through makes it hard to. 

I'm a fan of the Final Fantasy series, so I thought I'd pick up the trial and try this game out, but it turns out to be not user friendly at all.

First I recieved the trial email, it was very poorly formatted with html tags all visible. I managed to get past that, then I spent quite a long time trying to find the game client to download on the site, without any luck. I dug up a torrent and downloaded it, little did I know I needed that PlayOnline client thingy, and that's a whole story on its own.

I downloaded the client from their official website. I have a square enix account so I thought, I'll just log in. but NOOO! I needed to jump through hoops, then transfer my (non-existing) PlayOnline account to my (existing) square enix account, then create some kind of account that had a random username and password generated for me, then I needed to create a new profile on that account, and add my beta key then after doing all of this I was finally able to log in. 

If you're going to make such a lengthy process and a bunch of hoops, least you could do is place a guide to it somewhere easily accessable.

Now I thought I was done and I would patch the game quickly then log in. Turns out I had to click a million popups some with an agreement, others with offers, news, and a warning not to neglect my job (thanks?) after which the patching process started. It took me 9 hours to complete patching on a 8 mb connection, but I'm patient.. This is Final Fantasy after all.. 

Patching was done, I was happy and excited to start, the story started playing and I was happy and engaged with it and ready to just sink my feet into this! then BOOM! connection decided to be lost! (how convenient) 

I relogged into my square enix account with that VERY ANNOYING password system that pops up a box then forces you to type or click there, and in all effort not to be user friendly, "Enter" doesn't actually accept your password! you need to click that circle looking thingy!

Fine, done, logged in. clicked through all those useless dialogue boxes, then it goes full screen and the graphics look like it's a game emulated on some bad emulator, I didn't care, I play emulated games all the time and I guess there actually might be ways to fix that which I will have to reasearch I guess. 

Got an email, alt tabbed out of the game, and it just slapped me in face "HOW DARE YOU ALT TAB OUT! THERE YOU GO, LOST CONNECTION! HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT?" 

Fine. I'll give you that. Started the client again, the same annoying process of getting into the game with that shifty password system and the many popups, done, create a character, the game suddenly decides it doesn't like me and freezes my PC.

After a computer restart, log back in try to create a character. Now to picking a server, but which server do I pick? No info, no labels, no player count or anything. I might have picked some deserted server for all I know, but I'm stubborn! THIS GAME WILL GET PLAYED NO MATTER WHAT! Oh! I want to change the face, but since the game wants to make sure I know it hates me, my character keeps running around turning its face and back sideways and doing all those "cool" moves when I just want to look at the freaking face!! I can't make a face choice unless I keep waiting for it to turn towards me every time I check a new face. 

Got another important email I was waiting for, and decided "screw it" then came to rant here. 

I hope my ranting helps some new players configure and start this game if they decide to play.

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Well there is an option to play the game in windowed mode to be able to alt tab - there are also settings to change the resolution.

I am not sure why you are ranting over the features of a 10 year old game.

If you don't get past the char creation I suggest you should stop now, cause later on you will have to write macros suitable for your job and if you hated what you did so far, then that will be a gamekiller for you.

Harbinger of Fools
  • amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42

Oh I have nothing against old games. I wouldn't have picked this up if I did, and I don't mind writing macros and all that jazz. I was just complaining about the process of getting into the game itself  (namely PlayOnline viewer) and how it could have been simplified or a handy guide provided at the main website. Hell, they could work on formatting their emails! It doesn't really reflect well for a potential new customer.

In either case it looks like my PC doesn't like the game and keeps freezing. Shame, I really did get engaged in the story and even got through a few starter dialogues before it froze again. 

Good luck to everyone planning to give this a try, hope my suffering would serve as a rough "how to" to get started.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

When it comes to FFXI, windower is your friend. http://wiki.windower.net/windower/latest

Want nice maps and are somewhat computer literate? http://forums.windower.net/topic/18265-xi-vision-v103-maps-12152010/

Some nice UI (follow the directions closely) http://forums.windower.net/topic/21145-xi-view-v20-user-interface-6142012/

Changing the BG res is here and be very careful with editing your registry. http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Graphics

Scroll down to the registry overview and follow the directions. I double my BG res to my actual screen res. So 1920X1080 becomes 3840X2160.

With everything I have just covered the game will play on a PC looking about 6 years newer. Good luck!

Some useful community links:

http://guildwork.com/dashboard

http://www.bluegartr.com/forums/53-FFXI-Advanced-The-New-Standard

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/forum.php

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://www.ffxiah.com/

http://wiki.windower.net/

P.S. Cerberus server is where it's at. Good mix of assholes and cool people.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42

Thank you! This was very very helpful. I will give everything a try again tomorrow hopefully.

It's np at all. If you end up on Cerberus server throw me a /tell. I am a member of a very newbie friendly LS with a lot of people to help you get started. Name is Vivik. Anything that you have a problem with above I can walk you through in game if needed also.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • VarlasVarlas Member UncommonPosts: 22

I have to agree with most (if not all) of OP's statements. I used to play FFXI about 8 years ago and I'm having an increasing interest in playing again. However I've been having a lot of frustration similar to what the OP has described and have had to call it quits. I understand it's an older game, but I think they could at least simplify the starting steps by now. 

The PlayOnline client can simply be a nightmare. I remember how it took me roughly two hours just to get started with the PlayOnline registration. I don't recall all the exact details but I certainly wasn't  in a good mood afterwards. All of the different accounts and passwords you have to keep track of is a huge nuisance for my tastes. 

Now the billing system, it is simply the bane of my existance. Now it asks for this 3D Secure garbage that I never had to deal with when I played years ago. As Fry from Futurama would put it, I wish they would just shut up and take my money. I mean honestly, there has to be a better way to have a secure billing system than the one they currently use. I simply cannot play and enjoy FFXI because I have no cards that are so-called 3D secure. 

I really do want to enjoy FFXI as much as I used to, but there are so many barriers and hindrances that are being employed that it makes it just about impossible for me to get through. And I imagine it's even worse for people who have never played before. It leaves a very negative impression on what is otherwise a good game. 

I don't want to deal with a convoluted, complicated and unnecessary billing "feature" just to pay for an MMO. What's wrong with using the billing systems other MMOs use, like Rift or LOTRO? 

/rantmodeoff

If you live in the US there is no 3d secure requirements on CC anymore. Besides that you can pay with Crysta now through paypal and a couple other online retailers.

I agree that PoL is very convoluted but once you get used to it it's not a big thing anymore. You can save all of your PW to PoL except your SE account password which makes it so you only have to enter one password when you log in.

If you guys have any questions please feel free to post them here. I check this site daily and can answer pretty much anything game related.

Vivik-Cerberus

Really? Did they do away with the 3D secure? And when?

If this is the case, I might look into playing once more. The mandatory 3D secure was what drove me away from playing again. But that would be wonderful if that's no longer a requirement.

(And I do live in the US by the way.)

Originally posted by Varlas

Really? Did they do away with the 3D secure? And when?

If this is the case, I might look into playing once more. The mandatory 3D secure was what drove me away from playing again. But that would be wonderful if that's no longer a requirement.

(And I do live in the US by the way.)

They did away with 3d secure at the end of 2011 when they made everyone convert their PoL accounts to SE accounts. you can go here to start the transfer proccess and chose your payment method.

I will warn you that it is not user friendly at all and is pretty confusing at first ( I think they like to model their payment system after their game). You cannot actually reactiveate your account without transfering it now and all of your payment optioins and info goes through the Square Enix site now instead of your PoL browser.

Vivik-Cerberus

Interesting, I may look into trying it out once more. Thanks for all the information Dfix. Maybe this time I'll actually be able to play. 

Not a problem at all. I love FFXI and I would hate to see someone not play anymore because of a flawed system that is PoL.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Here's my experience of the FFXI free trial:

Not Found

The requested URL /freetrial/download/ was not found on this server.

They should probably check the links in their automated emails. Just sayin'.

Originally posted by Banquetto

Here's my experience of the FFXI free trial:

Not Found

The requested URL /freetrial/download/ was not found on this server.

They should probably check the links in their automated emails. Just sayin'.

How long ago did you get a free trial e-mail? Going to their site, there is no "free trial" button like there used to be. Some times they will take it down because a lot of RMT use it to make money. I'm not saying that is why but it could be.

I'll do some digging around and see what I can come up with for a free trial pass.

Edit: Seems to be working now. They may have had it down for maint. Here is the link http://finalfantasyxi.com/freetrial/home/downloads

Vivik-Cerberus
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

FFXI was one of the most disappointing MMO experiences I've ever had also.

Originally posted by Theocritus

The game is definitely not for everyone. For those of us that like it it is a way of life. The game is one of those "I really love it" or "I absolutely hate it" games.  Just out of cruriosity, how long has it been since you played?

Vivik-Cerberus
  • antshock35antshock35 Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by Dfix

The game is definitely not for everyone. For those of us that like it it is a way of life. The game is one of those "I really love it" or "I absolutely hate it" games.  Just out of cruriosity, how long has it been since you played?

First off , You can;t even begin to get into this game....This game takes at least a year to build up your multiple characters and reputation while players who have been playing for years have already done this. This is not a wow game this if a old school hardcore mmo .....I love this game when I played it .....awsome social aspect meeting new people everytime you play,great link shells or aka guilds,ah is wonderfully run,crafting kinda blows but whatever....This is not a game you can just p/u and play for a month and be at level ....You need to understand this before you play it...yes the graphics are dated and you can't jump lol but this game has a devoted fan base and a feel of what a mmo should be team work and excitement for you and your group finally beating one of the epic bosses...for its time this was the best mmo .........I loved this game

Originally posted by antshock35

First off , You can;t even begin to get into this game....This game takes at least a year to build up your multiple characters and reputation while players who have been playing for years have already done this. This is not a wow game this if a old school hardcore mmo .....I love this game when I played it .....awsome social aspect meeting new people everytime you play,great link shells or aka guilds,ah is wonderfully run,crafting kinda blows but whatever....This is not a game you can just p/u and play for a month and be at level ....You need to understand this before you play it...yes the graphics are dated and you can't jump lol but this game has a devoted fan base and a feel of what a mmo should be team work and excitement for you and your group finally beating one of the epic bosses...for its time this was the best mmo .........I loved this game

While I do agree with most of your points I do have to say that this is not the FFXI you remember. There have been massive changes to the leveling system since they raised the cap to 99. You can probably take a new character to level 99 in just over a week.

With the addition of abyssea the game has become much more user and player friendly compared to the oldschool days. Some times I miss the old school parties and quite a few people do not like what abyssea did to the game but it has brought a lot of new people to the game that would never have touched it before. 

With the announcement of the new expansion I have seen a huge jump in level 75s coming back to the game which is great. I had recently unsubbed myself after reading what they had planned for the next year ( before "Seekers of Adoulin" was anounced) and there just being nothing left that I wanted to do. Obviously soon after I heard the announcement I resubbed.

Vivik-Cerberus

While I do agree with most of your points I do have to say that this is not the FFXI you remember. There have been massive changes to the leveling system since they raised the cap to 99. You can probably take a new character to level 99 in just over a week.

With the addition of abyssea the game has become much more user and player friendly compared to the oldschool days. Some times I miss the old school parties and quite a few people do not like what abyssea did to the game but it has brought a lot of new people to the game that would never have touched it before. 

With the announcement of the new expansion I have seen a huge jump in level 75s coming back to the game which is great. I had recently unsubbed myself after reading what they had planned for the next year ( before "Seekers of Adoulin" was anounced) and there just being nothing left that I wanted to do. Obviously soon after I heard the announcement I resubbed.

That is tragic man ! I loved old school ff11 ...I made more friends in tht game then wow,swtor, put together just because it was fun to blow off steam go tot the dunes and group for hours killing crabs lol......Well Heres to the old days of hardcore mmos that actually made you play longer then a week to hit cap..

That is tragic man ! I loved old school ff11 ...I made more friends in tht game then wow,swtor, put together just because it was fun to blow off steam go tot the dunes and group for hours killing crabs lol......Well Heres to the old days of hardcore mmos that actually made you play longer then a week to hit cap..

I agree. Our generation of MMO gamers are the equivalent of that old man that had to walk to work, up-hill, both ways, in three feet of snow.

Vivik-Cerberus

HAHAHAHAHA........THTS GREAT MAN. The funny part is that all mmo now a days are so short and easy to level that  I think if a updated game like ff11 came out it be a huge hit since theres nothing i know of it now a days.

Originally posted by Banquetto Here's my experience of the FFXI free trial: Not Found The requested URL /freetrial/download/ was not found on this server. They should probably check the links in their automated emails. Just sayin'.
    How long ago did you get a free trial e-mail? Going to their site, there is no "free trial" button like there used to be. Some times they will take it down because a lot of RMT use it to make money. I'm not saying that is why but it could be.

Five minutes before I posted that post. :-)

But it's OK, I poked around on the site for a bit and found the download link. After that I just had the ludicrous runaround of the PlayOnline and SquareEnix accounts, and the all-night patching experience described by the OP. Game is up and running now.

It's an interesting artifact of what is really a lost age, but I don't think I can play a game with a 10-year-old console interface for very long, sadly.

Originally posted by Banquetto Here's my experience of the FFXI free trial: Not Found The requested URL /freetrial/download/ was not found on this server. They should probably check the links in their automated emails. Just sayin'.
    Five minutes before I posted that post. :-)

But it's OK, I poked around on the site for a bit and found the download link. After that I just had the ludicrous runaround of the PlayOnline and SquareEnix accounts, and the all-night patching experience described by the OP. Game is up and running now.

It's an interesting artifact of what is really a lost age, but I don't think I can play a game with a 10-year-old console interface for very long, sadly.

Here are some screens of my UI and Macro pallet with a few plugins. It's hard to use if you are used to a quickbar but the clean look grows on you after a while.

http://www.gwcdn.com/albums/images/4ff2339489118b590400339b.jpg

http://www.gwcdn.com/albums/images/4ff2342a89118b590400339c.jpg

Vivik-Cerberus

Here are some screens of my UI and Macro pallet with a few plugins. It's hard to use if you are used to a quickbar but the clean look grows on you after a while.http://www.gwcdn.com/albums/images/4ff2339489118b590400339b.jpghttp://www.gwcdn.com/albums/images/4ff2342a89118b590400339c.jpg
    Hmm! What do I need to get it running in an arbitrary resolution? Looks like 640x480 or something at the moment I couldn't find any options in-game to change it?

Here are some screens of my UI and Macro pallet with a few plugins. It's hard to use if you are used to a quickbar but the clean look grows on you after a while.

http://www.gwcdn.com/albums/images/4ff2342a89118b590400339c.jpg

Hmm! What do I need to get it running in an arbitrary resolution? Looks like 640x480 or something at the moment I couldn't find any options in-game to change it?

Here is a link to my post on page 1. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/74/view/forums/post/5088157#5088157

Should have a few answers for you. There is also a settings folder in: C:Program Files (x86)PlayOnlineSquareEnixFINAL FANTASY XIToolsUS

You can set your res there and do some minor changes. If you want good quality though you gotta use windower, which is in my post on page 1.

If you are confident changing your registry there is also a link where you can adjust your backround res. to double for a faux-AA setting also covered in that post.

Anything else that you need or have questions, just ask. I will try to help or at least point you in the right direction.

Vivik-Cerberus

Here is a link to my post on page 1. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/74/view/forums/post/5088157#5088157Should have a few answers for you. There is also a settings folder in: C:Program Files (x86)PlayOnlineSquareEnixFINAL FANTASY XIToolsUSYou can set your res there and do some minor changes. If you want good quality though you gotta use windower, which is in my post on page 1.If you are confident changing your registry there is also a link where you can adjust your backround res. to double for a faux-AA setting also covered in that post.Anything else that you need or have questions, just ask. I will try to help or at least point you in the right direction.
    Oh whoops I didn't really read back in this thread. Thanks for that! I'll play with some of those settings tonight.