Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Night Mare Goes On Sale

Comments

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Zooce

Milking every last drop from those oblivious to the fact TERA is a sinking ship.  Dirty cash grab is dirty. 

After reading this 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/354827/page/1

I got the feeling they are trying to cash grab as much as possible before the ship sinks?

The game is out not even in 3rd months and they already pushing this.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

WOW!! And ppl where complaning about one of Trion Special edition that came with a mount and "ANywhere Bank"!

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

Box fee + monthly subscription + cash shop

Seems legit

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

Seems legit

This ^.

I don't know what's up w/ this recent trend, but it needs to stop. I don't know how many fans they expect will be okay w/ this (and knowing people, I'm sure there will be 'enough'), but I'd hope for most of the gaming population this isn't cool.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by xmenty

Milking every last drop from those oblivious to the fact TERA is a sinking ship.  Dirty cash grab is dirty. 

After reading this 

I got the feeling they are trying to cash grab as much as possible before the ship sinks?

Yes, those are very revealing numbers in the linked thread (and what I based my statement on).

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by xmenty

After reading this 

It will get far worse once GW2 launches, this is definitely a money grab, if someone buys this it's almost like buying two months subscription. Why would anyone buy this when the game clearly isnt doing well, it just dosnt make sense.

Blizzard get away with selling mounts/pets and have a subscription plan because they can, they have a solid game that will be here and well populated in a year.   

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Well, on the plus side, while I didn't go into any of the major cities last evening, in the zone that I was leveling in last evening I didn't see a single one of the new mounts. (and yes, I saw plenty of other players, just heading off any smart comments) image

I really do like the Vanarch mounts however, and they have slightly better stats which is their real appeal to me, not the look.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

I don't know how anyone can be suprised. The new age of mmos are all about finding ways to get extra money from you, even in the smallest way possible, and cosmetic items sell.

Devs do things like these because they know they can. No matter how much the internet forums complain about it, the masse market is other story. I don't know how many it will sell, but i can imagine it wasn't hard code and program, and charging 25 for it will probably be a great profit anyway.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

It's still a far better deal than in LOTRO where you get ripped off by paying 20 bucks for a mount and can only use it on the character you bought it with!

At least in WoW, and now TERA, you pay 25 bucks and get it on all your current and future characters!

Still expensive yes... but still  better than Turbine's cashgrab model.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

Seems legit

WoW, Rift, TSW? Seems legit.

Also key word is cosmetic shop, not cash. On a side note here's a response of mine from another thread:

I guess everyone shocked by this fails to realize they are simply integrating all of KTERAs cash shop items into this game in various ways...

Dragon skins for purchase before specific date, pirate hat/glasses/eyepatch for a facebook community event thing, mount/weapon skins for $$$$.

It's not like they are developing this stuff to make some quick money, it already exists and they are all able to be purchased in Korea. Yet i didn't pay anything extra for my glasses, pirate hat, dragon weapon skins and eyepatch.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Wow. Well I can scratch TERA off my list of MMO's to get. I hadnt got it yet because I was still playing other non MMO games. Tried it in beta and thuoght it was worth the box price.

But now Enmass can go on that ever growing list of companies to say FU to. I said FU to Blizzard when they added a cash shop to a subscription game to.

Serious question to you guys. Why in the hell do you think its OK for a subscription based game to add a cash shop? I need more than "its just cosmetic who cares". The point is you are PAYING MONTHLY for the game. ALL content, cosmetic or not should be available INGAME right? Or do alot of you really not mind being asked to pay box price + a sub fee + half the box price for a cosmetic item in the game you already paid for and pay a monthly DLC fee for?

Think of it this way. Mario bro. charges you $60 for its game. It charges you a monthly fee of $15 for DLC. But now they add a Luigi skin seperate that you have to pay an additional $20 for. How in the hell can you think thats ok?

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by xenogias

Serious question to you guys. Why in the hell do you think its OK for a subscription based game to add a cash shop? I need more than "its just cosmetic who cares". The point is you are PAYING MONTHLY for the game. ALL content, cosmetic or not should be available INGAME right? Or do alot of you really not mind being asked to pay box price + a sub fee + half the box price for a cosmetic item in the game you already paid for and pay a monthly DLC fee for?

They didn't add it, develop it or whatever else you want to yell about, it's been out in Korea for over half a year, people fail to realize this more than I would have imagined.

I hate cash shops in games, but if it's cosmetic it doesn't affect my gameplay so in the end I don't give a crap. Would I like to have a way to earn it in game? Sure, but it doesn't make anyone better than me so I don't care.

There's absolutely no reason why you or anyone else playing would need this mount, it's slower than my current mount. People in game and people on forums sure are different, I was in vent with like 20 guildies when it was announced they all just said wow thats a pretty cool looking horse, two ended up buying it and the rest just discussed about how it looks. Nobody seemed to complain.

As demonstrated in my story above, gamers will buy these things and what company would be stupid enough not to make money of our willingness to spend it? Since yesterday I have seen about 15 of these mounts in game, so that's $375 which is the equivalent to the revenue brought in by 25 peoples monthly subscription being made in a matter of minutes for adding a "buy horse" button on their website.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Rusque

And now for something completely different. To those who say pay $25 for a virtual item is stupid; how is it any more stupid than any other form of temporary entertainment? It aall comes down to what you individually place value in.

I would say that a large number of people are willing (and eager) to lay down $40-$80 to watch a bunch of fat men on steroids try to hit a ball for 4 hours while consuming overpriced tasteless domestic beer and hot dogs. At least a virtual mount lasts a lot longer.

Obviously I don't see any value in going to a baseball game, but the people who do don't have a problem shelling out the money for it. I'm not sure why games are any different, both are just forms of entertainment.

You are correct there. Every time I see someone spit out the meme "...buying pixels..." I cringe.

What about going to a concert? What about going to a movie? A play?

light waves, sound waves.

What one is buying is access and an experience.

Would I buy this? Nah. I find the whole "looking bad ass" not to my taste. I would rather have something different. Heck, I would rather have an armor skin.

But since this is account wide, and compared to what other mounts go for in other games, its' not a bad deal.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • alloinalloin Member UncommonPosts: 135

Most complainers are kiddos who can't pay it...

Its not like 25$ is gonna make you lose your house, 25$ is a nutshell.

If 25$ is a waste, because it's pixels you buy, why do you buy games in the first place? Aren't they all JUST PIXELS ?

Buy a 25$ necklace for your girl, go watch a movie with your partner... oh wait, a movie is a waste of money too ? 

Go to hell if you need to pay 40c to visit the toilet, bushes accept pee for free....

We are all satoshi!
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

They didn't add it, develop it or whatever else you want to yell about, it's been out in Korea for over half a year, people fail to realize this more than I would have imagined.

I hate cash shops in games, but if it's cosmetic it doesn't affect my gameplay so in the end I don't give a crap. Would I like to have a way to earn it in game? Sure, but it doesn't make anyone better than me so I don't care.

There's absolutely no reason why you or anyone else playing would need this mount, it's slower than my current mount. People in game and people on forums sure are different, I was in vent with like 20 guildies when it was announced they all just said wow thats a pretty cool looking horse, two ended up buying it and the rest just discussed about how it looks. Nobody seemed to complain.

As demonstrated in my story above, gamers will buy these things and what company would be stupid enough not to make money of our willingness to spend it? Since yesterday I have seen about 15 of these mounts in game, so that's $375 which is the equivalent to the revenue brought in by 25 peoples monthly subscription being made in a matter of minutes for adding a "buy horse" button on their website.

Who developed it means nothing. I dont pay attention to games in Korea because I dont live there.

Thanks for awnsering my question though. You dont care because its not buying power.

My post may have seemed "agressive" or "angry" but I seriously just wanted to know why people thought it was ok. Because for someone like me, if I am paying a subscription I expect it to be obtainable ingame one way or the other and I refuse to accept even a cosmetic cash shop because of it.

Hell I know its smart of enmasse. Verry few people out there are like me and will simply refuse to, or stop playing a game for doing this. I quit WOW when they added thier cosmetic cash shop. But they made millions of dollars off of it so I know they dont care about the handfull of subs they lost.

Again, I'm not attacking people who think its fine or even bought the mount. More or less just wanting thoes people to explain to me why it doesnt bother them, because I dont understand it.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

Well, I'm not buying it.

Originally posted by alloin

Most complainers are kiddos who can't pay it...

Its not like 25$ is gonna make you lose your house, 25$ is a nutshell.

If 25$ is a waste, because it's pixels you buy, why do you buy games in the first place? Aren't they all JUST PIXELS ?

Buy a 25$ necklace for your girl, go watch a movie with your partner... oh wait, a movie is a waste of money too ? 

Go to hell if you need to pay 40c to visit the toilet, bushes accept pee for free....

The price to me is a seperate issue. Do I think its silly to buy a mount for $5 less than a whole expansion would cost you? Sure.

No my issue is a company selling you something extra when you already pay them monthly for the content.

• PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105

I've heard a lot of complaints about the price of the mount

I log in to TERA and see a lot of people with the mount. Seems like the people complaining are the minority.

• senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96

i thought tera got a nightmare (like some thing bad happen and goes on sale)instead its a name of fiery horse mount,which is $25 price..ooh i think im gonna get  nightmare

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Postcards

I've heard a lot of complaints about the price of the mount

I log in to TERA and see a lot of people with the mount. Seems like the people complaining are the minority.

Not playing TERA so can't confirm, but wouldn't be suprised if this was true. It's what i was pointing out in my previous post. Devs do this stuff because they know players will fork over the money. For the record, i wouldn't buy it anyway, and no i don't hate the game.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

adding a cash shop when your game has a sub is greed nothing else wow pulled that sheet too and everytime they release one of those cs mounts there subs take a dive

tera doesnt have the player base to even pull a troll move like that this gonna come back to bite them on the bum

people should keep  in mind that having a cool mount in a lot of games is a big f'ing deal

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Seems to be a real waste of money to me, for a game I don't think will be around very long.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

Thats more than I paid to buy the game..screw that!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Terronte

Thats more than I paid to buy the game..screw that!

haha i didn't even think about that it is the same price I paid for the game heh

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

The price to me is a seperate issue. Do I think its silly to buy a mount for $5 less than a whole expansion would cost you? Sure.

No my issue is a company selling you something extra when you already pay them monthly for the content.

Especially when if they put that content in the game, as a reward for doing something, it makes the game better.  Content built into the game adds gameplay.

Content that you just buy?  Not so much.  It's just a waste of resources, because, IMHO, simply buying content is no fun.  It doesn't add anything to the game.  If anything, it detracts from the game, when the player no longer has things to look forward to, like the mounts you need to play, to get.

Tera is full of screwy design decisions like that.  It's a huge lush gameworld, rich with content, but they totally drop the ball on how they dish it out.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.