Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With Bioware's repeated fails...will you buy from them at release?

Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

Mass Effect 3...Dragon Age 2...and now SWTOR.

All have been heavily critizied. However, their older games...Mass Effect 1 and 2...Dragon Age 1...even before that...have been critically acclaimed. After they got bought by EA, it seems their games are no longer the quality they once were.

And SWTOR is already talking about turning free and losing a good portion of their servers. It did much horribly than anticipated.

Will you still buy Bioware games at release? Do you still enjoy Bioware's new games? Or are you disatisfied with their latest games they have made?

Comments

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

maybe, if they can detach themselves from ea

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Isasis

All have been heavily critizied. However, their older games...Mass Effect 1 and 2...Dragon Age 1...even before that...have been critically acclaimed. After they got bought by EA, it seems their games are no longer the quality they once were.

And SWTOR is already talking about turning free and losing a good portion of their servers. It did much horribly than anticipated.

Will you still buy Bioware games at release? Do you still enjoy Bioware's new games? Or are you disatisfied with their latest games they have made?

You probably need to take Mass Effect 3 off that list.  With the exception of the ending, it was a pretty good game.  Many many people have very high praises for ME3.

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

You probably need to take Mass Effect 3 off that list.  With the exception of the ending, it was a pretty good game.  Many many people have very high praises for ME3.

The metacritic user score says different

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Yes, games are games, some will be awesome, some won't be. But if I based it all on what you percieve to be three bad games then why play games at all?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Slampig

Yes, games are games, some will be awesome, some won't be. But if I based it all on what you percieve to be three bad games then why play games at all?

The title is buy them at release. Which is the topic.

If its good AFTER release, and then you buy it...is different than if you buy it at release before you know how it actually is.

• arche22arche22 Member UncommonPosts: 12

Oh please, Metacritic user scores have more trolls than the WoW forums. ME3 was good wit hthe exception of the ending, DA2 was mediocre but hardly a failure. SWTOR, I will give you that one.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Buy from them at release? used to be I would, but after ME3 hell no. I'll not be buying from them till t goes on sell and has many good reviews from source that aren't bought and paid for from EA. IGN I'm looking at you!

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Sorry, but while i was super disappointed with ME3 and its horrendous ending, the rest of the game was decent enough, but you do understand that people who were happy with the game or really liked it do not go out of there way to metacritic to talk flowers and lolipops. 

Its the disgruntled and angry players who take the time to go spew forth vitriol and bile whne they feel they have been cheated/slighted in some way.

So the user metacritic score shows the minority of the player reviews, just like most mmo forums contain mostly the more caustic players, well because they are unhappy with the game and are looking for a way to vent about it and be heard.

Lolipops !

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

DA2 was a suprise, I played through twice and enjoyed the game but no question that it had some serious issues.  I pre-ordered swtor, and dispite the fact that I consider it a failure of an mmo I actually am still subscribed and enjoy it due to guild and rl friends that play.  ME3 however... that ending was the single worst gaming experience of my life.  i won't forgive them for me3 and the taint it put on the entire ME series.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

The Majority of people polled by Biowares own oll show that most did not think ME3 was a good game. yes a stupid bad ending can ruin a otherwise good game, and covering the fact it was rush shoddy 1 man designed ending with "artistic integrity" didn't help much. Bioware very much put another nail in their coffin with ME3.

Mst peole will not rave that the soup is still great after eating it and enjoying it till the last spoonfull in which they discover the dead fly and curly hair in it.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

And I should follow what Metacritic says blindly and never buy a game it poorly rates?

If I followed what the critics told me was crap I'd never have watched "The Shawshank Redemption"

What do critics actually know what "I" like to play, shock horror the critics aren't always right you know.

Originally posted by AwDiddums

And I should follow what Metacritic says blindly and never buy a game it poorly rates?

If I followed what the critics told me was crap I'd never have watched "The Shawshank Redemption"

What do critics actually know what "I" like to play, shock horror the critics aren't always right you know.

the funny part is, the critics gave it a rather good score. So this post made me chuckle.

In any case...in my personal experience. Dragon Age 1...awesome. Mass Effect 1...awesome. Dragon Age 2...horrible. Mass Effect 2 was great...Mass Effect 3...ending could have been WAY better, it felt really rushed.

Everyone will of course have different opinions. But I'll answer my own title. Will I buy a bioware game? If it is good, yes. Will I buy one at release, like I have been? Nope.

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129

Bioware has been shit since BG2.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Not at release. Not unless there was tons of game footage like with swtor. Then at least I could make an informed decision. It's not like people didn't know what they were getting with those games, except ME3, you can never underestimate a bad ending. Especially when the writer who made it good wasn't working on it anymore.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

When small home grown studio which found its success in classic D&D role playing games becomes an overweight mutant assimilated into the Borg entity known as EA MYTHIC BIOWARE (official name now of Bioware), it is already dead and needs to be buried....buried deep...sprinkled with holy water and read its last rights.

EA's history with acquired studios (often taken by force or manipulation) is pretty consistent. They take, change, merge and then kill.

Nothing new here, though its a constant reminder of what is wrong with the Publisher system.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I would say the Bioware team is extremely talented but somewhere in that chain of command are extremely bad decisions.

What i saw in SWTOR for example is a game that had massive potetntial to be a super great game.However what else i saw was a lot of corner cutting to eleviate cheaper faster game developement.

There was just so many parts of the game where i sat and thought "ok a nice start ,but where is the rest of the effort?".

So my opinion on the state of Bioware is someone in there is putting a PUSH on their games,a time limit and the game MUST get done no matter what.

I wouldn't say i give up on a developer,many can make poor decisions and come back even stronger,but many as long as they turn a profit will keep turning out poor effort.I saw enoguh of SWTOR to tell me the ydefinitely have the ability,they just need the producer/management to allow them to make a solid game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

EA's history with acquired studios (often taken by force or manipulation) is pretty consistent. They take, change, merge and then kill.

Nothing new here, though its a constant reminder of what is wrong with the Publisher system.

It's amazing how many developers get gobbled up and then destroyed.  I stumbled into this list (scroll to section labeled defunct) when looking for information about a specific dev.  I don't understand the business, but it seems like being "aquired" is like a kiss of death to a development studio.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by XAPGames
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

It's amazing how many developers get gobbled up and then destroyed.  I stumbled into this list (scroll to section labeled defunct) when looking for information about a specific dev.  I don't understand the business, but it seems like being "aquired" is like a kiss of death to a development studio.

Indeed, it is in part due to the fact that the Publisher (mostly run by lawyers and producers, some often with little care for video games themselves) care very little about the talent itself, but rather the brand/studio ID. They will just get rid of people and replace them, often outsourcing most of the work to asia just to make an extra buck. Obviously the quality drops and after gamers start losing respect for the brand ID, the studio gets shut down or downsized. Developers often have already moved to other studios or changed industries.

The publisher system and their behavior patterns are more of a cancer to the industry than a boon. The irony here is that EA was created to support and help developers, since then they have destroyed some of histories best studios that now almost remain forgotten. Bullfrog, Westwood, Origin, Maxis (kept the name, use a different studio)...ect So many franchises lost due to publishers. Microsoft acquired digital anvil and took all their IPs, sold them to other studios and fired all the employees that didnt merge into their microsoft studios division. It was outright murder. The creative honcho behind digital anvil got so fed up with the practice he went into the film industry instead.

Publishers will try to control what they consider an out of control indie market and make sure 3rd party studios cannot exist on their own.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

I wouldn't expect much from Bioware at this point.

How long did they keep Mythic around before they parted them out completely?

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Last game I bought from them was the first Dragon Age, which was okay. I ended up watching the Mass effect series on youtube, given how they are largely cinematic based games. 

I probably won't buy anything at release, especially now that they are a part of EA.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Ive bought and played....

KOTOR

KOTOR 2

DA

DA2

MA

MA2

SWTOR

SWTOR lasted me around two months. It was fun for awhile and then I just flat ran out of fun stuff to do.

DA2 was "mostly" fun, but I was annoyed with the lack of companion customization and the constant reuse of areas.

MA3 I have been scared to even buy. People hated the ending so much that they are releasing an extended ending DLC.

At this point I'm getting to where I lack interest in their games all together. They will have to prove themselves before I spend money on them again. No more preordering.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482

I own Dragon Age one and Awakening and loved it. Bought Dragon Age two and thought it was nowhere near as good as the first. I have other Bioware games Knight of the Old Republic was awesome. So I went for SWTOR thinking Bioware would'nt mess this up. How wrong was I ><

I won't be buying another Bioware game until I have tried it or seen a few reviews. Not sure if EA is completely to blame as Dragon Age and Awakening has EA on the box and that turned out pretty good.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I buy most single players when Steam have them on sale cheap. Even if i didn't i'd still consider any Bioware game as they've made more good than bad ones.

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

Metacritic user scores have no credibilty anymore.  People often vote games down because they either don't like the developer/publisher.  See Modern Warfare/Battlefield ratings.  Not to mention every other high profile game that has been released.  User ratings are meaningless.

• NevarionNevarion Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire

Metacritic user scores have no credibilty anymore.  People often vote games down because they either don't like the developer/publisher.  See Modern Warfare/Battlefield ratings.  Not to mention every other high profile game that has been released.  User ratings are meaningless.

That's a contradiction. They might not have any meaning or impact for you but meaningless? Nope.