Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is Our Truly Epic Steampunk MMO?

RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Seriously, we have none. Why does it seem like developers are afraid of making a steampunk mmo that doesn't just plain suck? The ones that are slapped with the title "steampunk" don't deserve it. Like NEO Online and ARGO Online... They get slapped with the title of "steampunk" but in all reality are not steampunk at all. It just makes me sad no mmo company or group of developers have been brave enough to try and give this genre a real chance.

Smile

Comments

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

wish someone could make Blade Runner Online

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316
    Originally posted by Tonin109

that's cyberpunk not steampunk.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

Because producers are only only interested in easy money these days. You either have to have a well known gaming IP or a book, movie IP to base your MMORPG game on. Otherwise no one is going to be interested in risking their money on the tragic MMO market with its stagnant approach and expectations.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

I demand an Emo MMO.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Blindchance

Because producers are only only interested in easy money these days. You either have to have a well known gaming IP or a book, movie IP to base your MMORPG game on. Otherwise no one is going to be interested in risking their money on the tragic MMO market with its stagnant approach and expectations.

I disagree that you need some sort of IP to work off of. There are plenty of creative people out there. It's the gaming companies that pressure developers to create trash that brings in fast money. That's why itd be nice if there were rich developers who could do what they wanted to do instead of taking orders... I bet you would see amazing things in mmos if that happened.

Smile

• robthemaniacrobthemaniac Member Posts: 57

I think WoW is about as much steampunk as you'll find in an AAA MMORPG. The Dwarves and goblins with their guns and contraptions--Not full steampunk, I know, but unless the last Bioshock in the series is an MMO, I don't see it coming for a while =/

yea, just light some cigarettes and blow smoke at your screen while playing WoW. Steampunk.

Originally posted by robthemaniac

I think WoW is about as much steampunk as you'll find in an AAA MMORPG. The Dwarves and goblins with their guns and contraptions--Not full steampunk, I know, but unless the last Bioshock in the series is an MMO, I don't see it coming for a while =/

I am just hoping that when it is created, that the NA creates it. Because I don't want an asian looking steampunk mmo. It can't be cute at all. It needs to be gritty and look, well... Steampunk!

Smile

Or maybe Metrosexual Online.

The 2 factions can be Hipsters vs. Yuppies. And they can fight over hair gel and stupid oversized sunglasses that were cool in the 70's.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    Originally posted by NorseGod

The 2 factions can be Hipsters vs. Yuppies. And they can fight over hair gel and stupid oversized sunglasses that were cool in the 70's.

I really don't get why you're being so sarcastic about a steampunk mmo. Steampunk would be a great thing to have an mmo based off. I think you need to look into it more because from your comments I don't think you get it.

Smile

Originally posted by Razeekster

I really don't get why you're being so sarcastic about a steampunk mmo. Steampunk would be a great thing to have an mmo based off. I think you need to look into it more because from your comments I don't think you get it.

I'm not being sarcastic. I think all trendy lifestyles should have their own MMO. Think of the longevity.

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Razeekster

I'm not being sarcastic. I think all trendy lifestyles should have their own MMO. Think of the longevity.

Steam punk is not a trendy lifestyle, its a fiction genre.

Try reading The Difference Engine by william gibson or other of that genre. You could even add magic in like games such as Arcarnam  Steamworks (sp)

It is a very interesting Alternate Reality.

But people like orcs and fps's

The problem with "Steampunk" is the story behind it. Bioshock takes place in that "steampunk" world, but it is it's own story and setting, so an MMO taking place in a Bioshock world would make total sense. 

The problem with steampunk would just be too broad I think. Try to think of a sucessful MMO in recent years (Since WoW?) made in the US or Western Hemisphere anywhere that didn't have a previous story/following behind it. There could be a couple, but every one I can think of, even those that didn't work out came from somewhere more specific.

Originally posted by dronfwar

what is the "big" difference ? is it because cyberpunk is more futuriste?

The problem with "Steampunk" is the story behind it. Bioshock takes place in that "steampunk" world, but it is it's own story and setting, so an MMO taking place in a Bioshock world would make total sense. 

The problem with steampunk would just be too broad I think. Try to think of a sucessful MMO in recent years (Since WoW?) made in the US or Western Hemisphere anywhere that didn't have a previous story/following behind it. There could be a couple, but every one I can think of, even those that didn't work out came from somewhere more specific.

I  think the fantasy setting is the problem. It's just got too big of a grip on the mmo genre as a whole that people are afraid to do different things. Horror mmos like TSW are starting to break the mold, but there needs to be more work for it be free of the fantasy genre's grip.

Smile

the amount of funkyness!

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

cyberpunk is generally set in a dystopian future, with futuristic technology

steampunk is set in an alternate history victorian(generally) era where they created technology comparable to our own(computers etc) powered by steam.

There is actually quite a big difference

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by stragen001

steampunk is set in an alternate history victorian(generally) era where they created technology comparable to our own(computers etc) powered by steam.

Or clockwork! You forgot clockwork :)

Originally posted by Dalmont

Or clockwork! You forgot clockwork :)

Quite true, sorry ;) Basically not electricity

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

One of my favorite MMOs was based on free intellectual property.   It was Dark Age of Camelot.  Their success proves that free IP works, if done right.  As with any IP though, the developers have to create an entertaining setting or it will fail. 

I would be interested to see what can be done with a steampunk MMO.  I am more interested in seeing a successful futuristic or present-tense MMO, though.  Until TSW releases, nobody has put forth a good effort into making a MMO in modern settings.  Futuristic MMOs have been way too far in the future to be plausible.  I want to see something set in 2200.

Originally posted by syntax42

One of my favorite MMOs was based on free intellectual property.   It was Dark Age of Camelot.  Their success proves that free IP works, if done right.  As with any IP though, the developers have to create an entertaining setting or it will fail. 

I would be interested to see what can be done with a steampunk MMO.  I am more interested in seeing a successful futuristic or present-tense MMO, though.  Until TSW releases, nobody has put forth a good effort into making a MMO in modern settings.  Futuristic MMOs have been way too far in the future to be plausible.  I want to see something set in 2200.

Yeah, something near future would be awesome. I would actually prefer a cyberpunk MMO over a steampunk one. 

Something like Neocron..... but good! ;) Otherland is looking interesting - based on the awesome Tad Williams books....

oh ok well i'm more cyber punk then ^_^

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165

I demand an Emo MMO.

Would you just stand around, complaining about life and cutting yourself for XP?

But even DAoC was based on a story, multiple ones at that: The Camelot saga/Norse Mythology/I dont remember Hibernia's

It was a fantasy MMO, but it narrowed itself down to three stories. Does the relatively small steampunk following have any themes or storylines with comparable popularity to King Aurthur?

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

But even DAoC was based on a story, multiple ones at that: The Camelot saga/Norse Mythology/I dont remember Hibernia's

It was a fantasy MMO, but it narrowed itself down to three stories. Does the relatively small steampunk following have any themes or storylines with comparable popularity to King Aurthur?

Hibernia was Celtic/Irish.  The point is that free IP works.  They made their own story based on a setting which has been in the public domain for a long time.  They had some story elements which tied in to stories created around the three IPs, but most of the game had a unique story.

BioShock is the most popular steampunk setting I know of.  If someone wanted to use an existing IP in the steampunk world, Vash the Stampede is the next most popular one that comes to mind.  It may not be true steampunk, though.  Creating a new story is the best bet.