Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP: Yay or Nay?

Comments

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by drakes821

I didn't get a chance to try CB 4 and I was wondering what everyone thought of the PvP.

I've read and heard mixed things so far and I'm trying to decide if I should pre-order (my pre-order isn't just based on the PvP though) so any information helps.

It's the most polished PvP I've ever played in a game this new.

Rift and The Old Republic felt clunky and buggy.

I wouldn't say it is as polished as WoW, but it's closer than most.

It's also fun, you'll like it as a distraction to PvE (You have to remember this IS a PvE game.)

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

PVP in TSW is only gear based for a small amount of time. BG's are ranked, and you can only enter Fusang with QL10 (or is until you reach Egypt which is where you get QL10). Anyway, it's alot better than other mmorpgs IMO, where you need to be max level, and even dungeon crawl to no end, to get the best gear.

Here you get it mid-game and you can craft it too, since it's going to be such a big part of the game apperantly.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    El dorado is about the size of av
    Fusang is like 5 times the size of av and just over half the size if a WvW map.

It really isn't but whatever. The game launches in a few days, we'll be able to check then.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Kuppa:

The 2 battlegrounds are ranked based on your gear.

Fusang is for level 9 gear and up (there are only 10 gear levels in tsw).

Then the ranking system is still not working very well then, because I saw folks with better gear and was getting one shot in them :(

One shot in Fusang or battlegrounds?

Fusang is open right now for everyone - it won't be at launch.  You gotta get to Egypt.

That is the point I was trying to get accross. If you don't mind not beign able to pvp from start to finish then it might be fine. And with that said I can't really say its good after because I never got high enough level.

El dorado is about the size of av
    Fusang is like 5 times the size of av and just over half the size if a WvW map.

image. Don't know about wow but its just about over half the size of a WvW map.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'm not on about the code. I'm on about they changed the rules for the open beta to allow lower ranked characters into fusang than would be allowed in live game.

The 2 battlegrounds were matched on gear, if you got it handed to you in there the players might have had slightly better gear, but its more likely they had a superior pvp deck. I was owning in open beta battlegrounds on my char in QL3 gear, because I've been in closed beta for months and knew good pvp decks.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by heartless

It isn't even the size of Alterac Valley, if you've ever played WoW.

It's actually much bigger than AV.  Like way bigger.

I'm not on about the code. I'm on about they changed the rules for the open beta to allow lower ranked characters into fusang than would be allowed in live game.

The 2 battlegrounds were matched on gear, if you got it handed to you in there the players might have had slightly better gear, but its more likely they had a superior pvp deck. I was owning in open beta battlegrounds on my char in QL3 gear, because I've been in closed beta for months and knew good pvp decks.

If by owning you mean one shot deaths then I was definately owned. And if that is possible on a "balanced" playing field then I definately would skip this games pvp.

Also "endgame" isn't wow style tiered progression, there won't be gear above level 10 and you can craft level q10 gear. Once your out of Egypt its more about diversity than raw power. So there won't be the constant need for rebalancing it baby eating competitions you normally get in themepark games (obviously gw2 will be good in this regard also)

That is the point I was trying to get accross. If you don't mind not beign able to pvp from start to finish then it might be fine. And with that said I can't really say its good after because I never got high enough level.

I understand now.  Yeah that has been a bone of contention with many people.  Battlegrounds will be open right from the beginning basically.

Fusang doesn't open up until you get to Egypt and it's tied to a storyline.  You'll get about QL9 stuff at that point.

You will not be able to do Fusang in TSW from the beginning like you can GW2.  Some actually like that, others don't.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Are we getting into the GW2 comparasions again? We already had this discussion. While you can jump into wvw from level 2, there's still a difference in gear level, so you have to get it via pve to be a "equal footing", just like TSW.

Neither game let's you play in a completly fair and balanced way from level 1 (or 2) (or QL1)

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Are we getting into the GW2 comparasions again? We already had this discussion. While you can jump into wvw from level 2, there's still a difference in gear level, so you have to get it via pve to be a "equal footing", just like TSW.

Neither game let's you play in a completly fair and balanced way from level 1 (or 2) (or QL1)

For the record, it wasnt me! image

They already fixed my build kuppa. Basicly my build was a semi exploit getting pen procs to cause multi hits and hit procs to buff pen, and every hit to trigger spreading dots in a cycle of death. Also there caught other op combos involving ar burst buffs. It's a mmo they are gonna need to balance it, especially at the start.

LOL you and I both know what you were refering to.  ;)

Oh there was some other guy you just couldn't hit, evaded everything, bigger all damage though.
  • LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181

If you are thinking of buying tsw because of the PVP don't bother, it will never be balanced or competitive. It's fun if you wanna waste an hour or two everyone once in a while but don't expect to get anything else out of it.

Originally posted by LachyFTW

it will never be balanced or competitive.

In your opinion.  Declaritive statements and all...

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227

I did manage to spend a couple hours doing fusang and the other 2 scenarios, and from a taste of it,  you can't really tell how its gonna be in the end. I will try to be as objective as possible.

I am concerned about the skill system, while it is just great for the PVE for the freedom it offers there is a little problem: balance is not possible and like every other mmo there will be a Fotm Spec/Specs. A lot of players will obviously go for that and I fear it will greatly limit the variety we will see in pvp gameplay. Giving everyone the ability to unlock everything may have some downsides.

The open pvp area offers some diversion from the usual scenario/battleground gameplay. Altough it was mostly a "zerg Vs zerg" there is room for small skirmishes on the borders. The map lacks strategy imo (but as I mentioned early, I don't claim to have had enough experience with it), can't be compared to  old times daoc -no idea how today's daoc is tbh - but the 3 factions system may bring some fresh air, especially to the scenario grind model we have seen so many times.

I wish they would also introduce some scenarios with only 2 factions (10 v 10 maybe) just to break the routine, or maybe to avoid 1v1v1 to become the routine and having us get bored with that aswell. Having 2 sides battling each other fits with the lore and would make sense imho.

Lastly, but take this as a grain of salt, I felt healing in pvp had some power, some meaning. The few bits I enjoyed from sw:ToR's PVP was how healing worked untill 1.2 update, and during the small time I spent PVP'ing during #4 weekend I felt it was something alike. Managing to survive a 2v3 while barely holding yourself and your team mate alive is something I personally enjoy very much. Of course it may be due to the fact that the players we met were not doing it properly, since many others times I was getting steamrolled aswell.

In short: PVP might not be the focus of this game but has a lot of potential, even if it looks boring and bland right now, the 3 faction sytem may give us enough fun to stay for a while. What happens next is just impossible to say now, they may focus on pve and leave pvp behind or the other way around...

They already fixed my build kuppa. Basicly my build was a semi exploit getting pen procs to cause multi hits and hit procs to buff pen, and every hit to trigger spreading dots in a cycle of death. Also there caught other op combos involving ar burst buffs. It's a mmo they are gonna need to balance it, especially at the start.

image it will take a while before they get them all right, I did hear in game chat that some exploits were fixed like you say.

LOL you and I both know what you were refering to.  ;)

Hey! it could have been GW1 image

Originally posted by LachyFTW

it will never be balanced or competitive.

In your opinion.  Declaritive statements and all...

Can you really name one MMO with balanced PvP? What makes you think that TSW will be different?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

it's better than SWTOR pvp.. :)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

it remind me of swtor pvp wish is NAY...just mi opinion ,till then ill wait till the game will go f2p then play it.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

LOL that's not really saying much. SWTOR has horrible PvP.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

LOL that's not really saying much. SWTOR has horrible PvP.

yep i know:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg