Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: STO & Champions Online Lifetimers Get Beta Access

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a post on both the Star Trek Online and Champions Online sites, lifetime subscribers to each game will automatically receive beta access to Neverwinter as a gift from Perfect World Entertainment.

Greetings Champions!

We are happy to announce that all Champions Online Lifetime Subscribers will be receiving access to the Neverwinter Closed Beta test*. *When this testing phase begins, invites will be doled out to Lifetime Subscribers over the course of the test.

Find out more about Neverwinter.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138

Not going to lie, Im jealous lol

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Nice PR move.

Not sure how people that paid for a lifetime subscription = qualified for Beta testing.  Sounds like another Beta test being used for a game demo.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

So now we know why Cryptic stopped fixing bugs in their existing games...they were busy playing with this new one...

I'll certainly take a look when the time comes. No idea what to expect with Neverwinter. It'll be another F2P with no sub or initial purchase...seems to be the way Cryptic are going with their games now.

Closest thing I've ever played to a D&D game is DDO and that was so ludicrously over-complicated to get right that I got bored with the character after a short time. Having to log onto a wiki or some other fan site before levelling up every time just in case the character got permanently gimped was not my idea of fun.

• TelreTelre Member Posts: 20

Hurray my terrible decision means I get beta access several years later!

Just looked at the races available. Just after launch I predict the creation of three humans, four hundred elves and twenty thousand drow...

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Wow!  Some consolation I guess.  Looking forward to it.

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138

After reading a TON of Forgotten Realms books, Im super excited for this game and I may actually follow the storyline! :O

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

My gut response upon reading the title of the thread is that it's so not worth it. I suppose I should qualify that with a "for me".

I'd much rather wait for the game to come out and see some reviews, or get invited to a very late, just before release beta test.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ducesettutamducesettutam Member UncommonPosts: 85

They launched this along side another push to sell life time subs.

Thats right kids. For only $199 you can gain access to the beta too. Also access to  F2P game.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Beta access as a 'gift' to what will be a free game anyhow?

Really not that exciting...

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

now  THAT is freakin awesome, gonna love playing this one methinks. Bout time they give lifetimers of STO something for their troubles.

• ThreeSixtyThreeSixty Member UncommonPosts: 41

Huh.  Well, I'm still not comfortable disclosing in mixed company that I bought a lifetime to STO at release, but I guess I'm getting something of value for it now after all.  Right?

I guess this also explains why Cryptic was recently advertising a special deal on STO lifetime subscriptions.  Sort of.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by ducesettutam

They launched this along side another push to sell life time subs.

Thats right kids. For only $199 you can gain access to the beta too. Also access to  F2P game.

Yeah and I bet plenty of people fell for it.

Originally posted by ThreeSixty

Huh.  Well, I'm still not comfortable disclosing in mixed company that I bought a lifetime to STO at release

hehe I did the same with CO. I think I got my money's worth. Only stopped playing it a couple of weeks ago through boredom. I kept it installed so I can go back when I get bored with everything else...won't take long knowing me.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

UHm guys im pretty sure that if you buy torchlight 2 with perfectworld  you get acces to neverwinter nights also, its like 170$ cheaper

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Dunno, i guess it is aimed at the right people. People that bought and are happy with their lifetime subs will be more likely to give Cryptic another shot at  making a decent game.

Me, i will be very suprised if they make a good game. Both champions and STO were decent, and had they been given more time, could have been good, or even great games.

Just fell well short of the time and skill needed to make them what they could have been with their design and build philosopy.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Nice PR move.

Not sure how people that paid for a lifetime subscription = qualified for Beta testing.  Sounds like another Beta test being used for a game demo.

As opposed to every other gamer who wants to beta test being qualified?  I'm pretty sure serious testers that can provide professional services have already been chosen and have been testing.

Late beta testers can provide some feedback on what they like or don't like, provide load stress testing, and metrics that a smaller pool can't.  There's not a lot of qualifications it takes to do this other than, 'can you log into a game successfully'.  After that point they're just as qualified as every other armchair expert.

Beta testers should be determined by CPU specs not players that bought lifetime subscription to a game on a computer system they had 3 years ago.

See MWO and how you have to attach a stripped down DXdiag file to register.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

I guess the CO lifetime I have will finally come in handy for something ;P.

Nice PR move.

As opposed to every other gamer who wants to beta test being qualified?  I'm pretty sure serious testers that can provide professional services have already been chosen and have been testing.

Late beta testers can provide some feedback on what they like or don't like, provide load stress testing, and metrics that a smaller pool can't.  There's not a lot of qualifications it takes to do this other than, 'can you log into a game successfully'.  After that point they're just as qualified as every other armchair expert.

Beta testers should be determined by CPU specs not players that bought lifetime subscription to a game on a computer system they had 3 years ago.

How does CPU specs qualify a person to be a tester?  That would only be relevant with relation to hardware testing and has nothing to do with personal qualifications.

You can still buy permanent subscriber status so it's not just people who bought this three years ago.

What makes someone qualified to beta test?  What do you really think they're after with this test pool?

If you really need an answer to this google it.

• staranstaran Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Cryptic is a bad company and treats their customers horribly.
    Great I get into nwo a few weeks before everyone else does a few weeks before it is free anyways. All that for them to ignore bug reports anywAys.
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

HAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOVE IT.

To this day, Champs lifetime is something I never regretted. Got so much out of it and now that it's improved by leaps and bounds, it's too awesome for words. At this point I'm literally getting paid just to exist in the game, since I've made my money back and then some. And now beta access to NWO.

Oh life, how delicious you are.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Well... the people that paid for lifetime subs for CO and STO need to get something for their money. They certainly arent getting it out of CO or STO!

Nice PR move though......

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Originally posted by stragen001

Well... the people that paid for lifetime subs for CO and STO need to get something for their money. They certainly arent getting it out of CO or STO!

Nice PR move though......

Actually CO gets my "Best Game That Noone Knows About Award".

Incredible fun.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

This doesn't make me feel any better about wasting money on lifetime sub for CO

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by korat102

Just looked at the races available. Just after launch I predict the creation of three humans, four hundred elves and twenty thousand drow...

I take that bet with one addendum...

.... and 7 dwarves...

Really really.

More value for lifetime subs I guess... I might as well look positively on this one.