Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP: Yay or Nay?

drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

I didn't get a chance to try CB 4 and I was wondering what everyone thought of the PvP.

I've read and heard mixed things so far and I'm trying to decide if I should pre-order (my pre-order isn't just based on the PvP though) so any information helps.

Comments

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

If you think having a massive world with 3 pvp spots is good...then you have low expectations...lol.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I think PvP will hold as a fun distraction for PvE players, but not enough to hold hardcore PvP players for too long

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

The PvP is surprisingly really good.  It's not as good as GW2, but better than most themeparks.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

As good as GW2 WvW not as good as DAoC or Shadowbane.

• poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226

YaY!

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535
    Originally posted by afhn2110

If you think having a massive world with 3 pvp spots is good...then you have low expectations...lol.

I think you need to read again, I never said it was good or bad I just wanted opinions...

But thanks for the input everyone, seems most people at least thought it was decent. I know the PvP zones give you buffs if you win, but is their any form of character progression in the PvP? Do you gain XP or anything?

Originally posted by drakes821

I think you need to read again, I never said it was good or bad I just wanted opinions...

But thanks for the input everyone, seems most people at least thought it was decent. I know the PvP zones give you buffs if you win, but is their any form of character progression in the PvP? Do you gain XP or anything?

Yes.  You have missions you can do in Fusang.  And token rewards - outfits and the like.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Better than most pure wow clone types, but not great either IMO. Stonehenge is meh, but El Dorado is nice.

Fusang is nice too, but i feel the original design of Anima Charges to open gates and other possibilties was better. Don't know how it will go with future updates. One thing i do like is that, if you get a good team and communicate (probably you should join a cabal) is that you can use different builds to come up with different strategies.

But, i'd say this isn't that great of a pvp mmorpg. Not bad, but not great either. If you're looking for arena based pvp, i'd recomend GW2. If you're looking for proper large scale pvp, keep your eyes on Planetside 2 (which is soooooooooooo good)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Out of your current big mmos with active players and good pvp player base.

Only eve beats it really.

It's better pvp than - wow, rift, swtor, aion

It's not as good as WvW, although ideally I would like a merger of gw2 and tsw pvp.
    Tsws true persistence
    Tsws lack of annominity
    Tsws true rival factions
    Tsws weekly distribution of tokens around entire societies based on % ownership (although don't really know what gw2 is doing with this)
    Tsws live buffs
    Gw2s scale
    Gw2s siege mechanics
    Gw2s combat (although I like Tsws combat don't get the hate for it its much better than wow style combat)
    Gw2s stronger emphasis on pvp related to pve e.g.50/50 where as tsw is more 25/75 and say wow 10/90
    Gw2s more pvp tolerant community, there are a lot of angry anti pvp types on the tsw forums, looking to make the game into a very heavy pve game like EQ or vanguard

It could be a pretty good pvp if there was more of it, it needs another map or two and tunnels linking them. It could also do with slowing down a bit, making facilities harder to take with extra lines of defences not just the automaton and cannon (and attacking weaponry to break thoose defences)
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

If you are ok with not beign able to pvp from the beggining to the end in a balanced playing field then it might be ok. Unfortunately both the BGs and Fusang will have many players that are more powerfull than you. I don't know if its the gear or the skills but they have an obvious advantage over you and can kill you in one or two shots. Many times matches were dominated by just one or two guys(In the BGs).

With that in mind I don't know how good it could be when you do have a better character later in the game and the field becomes more balanced(hopefully). Its a hard counter build based game though, which isn't my cup of tea. I prefer the skill based balanced pvp games.

Fusang is interesting and serves its purpose. Its big but nowhere close to GW2s WvW in size and has some tactical points of capture. I felt the game world itself was crafted better than the Fusang area though. Feels a bit uninspired to me in terms of how it looks. But, like I said it serves the purpose of zerg vs zerg with some small scale skirmishes in between.

So I won't say Yay nor Nay, it all depends on what you like. image

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

It worked pretty damn well for the best PvP MMO of all time...DAoC.

DAoC itself had open world "PVP servers" that were basically just a version of DAoC but all FUBAR. Separating PvE from PVP and building damn good zones for large scale (100 vs. 100 vs. 100) is a far better way of doing it than either having a free for all gank fest by higher levels in low-level PvE zones or having 10 little scenarios that last 15 minutes each.

Persistent, large zone segregated PvP is by far the best way to do it. DAoC had 3 of those zones. TSW starts with one of those with more planned. It als has a low number of "scenario" warzones for those who need their WOW fix, but that suits me just fine since that type of PvP is junk.

Fusang, just like the GW2 WvW area has everything I want for PvP.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I personally am not that interested in the pvp as much but hear many people very excited for it. So will the playerbase show up is the question and I believe they will. I will probably pop in myself but I'm in tsw for the story/missions. So I think t will come down to how may people are in it for the play through and how many are in it for the long haul.

In short its worth playing until gw2, ps2 or TESO land if you like "rvr". It's better than the various poor attempts at such pvp in other games like wintergrasp, illum. What there is us also better than aion and war imo, because 3 sides and it encourages the holding of territory not keep trading. Obviously war and aion have more scale though.
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Actually, I do. League of Legends only has 3 PvP arenas, and I've been playing and enjoying that game obessively daily for over 6 months now.

As for TSW PvP, it takes some getting used to. At first, you don't know WTF is going on and you die a lot more than you should. You'll also notice very little teamwork in the beginning. Everyone was getting used to their abilities still and honestly weren't using all of them in PvP. They'd spam their resource building key like it's the only ability they have.

The persistent PvP zone was large, so large, in fact, that I ended up leaving. It was too void of players for the size of it. However, it looks like it'll be a lot of fun once people start playing in there. Capturing objectives in there grants bonuses for your entire faction. Pretty nice bonuses actually that affects PvE and PvP (in all matches).

I actually started enjoying TSW PvP a lot after I got used to it.

• DomenicusDomenicus Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I think PvP will hold as a fun distraction for PvE players, but not enough to hold hardcore PvP players for too long

We can only hope :)

Kuppa:

The 2 battlegrounds are ranked based on your gear.

Fusang is for level 9 gear and up (there are only 10 gear levels in tsw).
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I didn't enjoy PvP in TSW to be honest. Not that I had a hard time killing people or anything, it's just that the PvP I experienced mostly rewarded zerg tactics. Also, Fusang was incredibly tiny for a map that is suppose to have persistant PvP and is nothing more than a point capture zergfest besides that.

So if you're picking this game up specifically for PvP, I suggest you rethink your investment. PvE is great, storywise though.

Originally posted by heartless

Also, Fusang was incredibly tiny

You really think it's incredibly tiny?  Really? 

It's not on the scale of GW2, but...wow.  I think you're greatly understating the size.

But I guess it's all subjective.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Kuppa:

Then the ranking system is still not working very well then, because I saw folks with better gear and was getting one shot in them :(

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by heartless

Also, Fusang was incredibly tiny

You really think it's incredibly tiny?  Really? 

It's not on the scale of GW2, but...wow.  I think you're greatly understating the size.

But I guess it's all subjective.

It isn't even the size of Alterac Valley, if you've ever played WoW.

For a battleground, the size is fine. For a persistant zone, not so much.

It was BETA, they opened everything up to "level 1" so that it could get tested.
    I played wow - its bigger than av - a lot bigger.
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Kuppa:

Then the ranking system is still not working very well then, because I saw folks with better gear and was getting one shot in them :(

One shot in Fusang or battlegrounds?

Fusang is open right now for everyone - it won't be at launch.  You gotta get to Egypt.

El dorado is about the size of av
    Fusang is like 5 times the size of av and just over half the size if a WvW map.
    It was BETA, they opened everything up to "level 1" so that it could get tested.

You do know we are a couple of days away from release. "BETA" is not something you call the code one week from release. And they definately don't have enough time to get that right by release when there are many other games out there that even after release have crappy matchmaking.....