Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why should I be excited?

realwordsrealwords Member UncommonPosts: 6

Why should I be excited/hyped for a game I won't see for 4-5 years? Doesn't that seem a little too early for public announcement, anyway?

Comments

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

You shouldnt get excited yet. I agree it is too early.

• KhaiyneKhaiyne Member Posts: 8

May I ask, given you've been here since 2008 and only made three posts, what made you post a thread expressing your concern with hype for our game?

Why should you get excited? There is no other game out there right now, or who have made any annoucements regarding development of an open world sandbox MMO without a focus on all our PvP. Sure it's in our game, but it's not central.

Why should you get excited? We have a development team of over fifty dedicated and passionate people who are making the game of their dreams. We have turned down negotiations with investors that would compromise the vision we have for creating that game that sandbox games have been waiting for.

I can't make you excited, and it's not what we're here to do. If you'd love to contribute to the development of a game like you've never had the opportunity to do before, then drop by our forums. Otherwise, I'd love to see you become a fan when we're finished with development.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

No need to get excited LOL its just a game..

Sure be interested in it thats fine but to get excited about somthing that is so far off is silly.

• ThradokThradok Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by realwords

Why should I be excited/hyped for a game I won't see for 4-5 years? Doesn't that seem a little too early for public announcement, anyway?

Not sure exactly what you mean by 'public announcement.' As far as I know, everything has been pretty much word of mouth. They don't exactly have a marketing budget. The hype here, the announcements or updates on other sites...it's almost entirely word of mouth, I think. The devs may notice that word has gotten out someplace, and will then talk with people there, but it's not like there is an ad campaign going on.

• NefastusNefastus Member Posts: 71

Why should you be excited? Well, no idea really, unless you are impulsive.  Game is in development and  team has listed numerous features which they plan on being in the game. Unless you take MMO gaming too seriously, there isn't anything you should get excited with.

Silly topic, to be honest.

Nefastus - Enclave

• GendgiGendgi Member UncommonPosts: 16

Hello, i have been playing mmos for a while, and always trying to find that perfect game that has it all... most are great for some time but none as made it a good game "sandbox wise", i recon it is pretty hard but having a game that you have a greater freedom to be what you want and still have fun, where you play with your friends in a way that doesnt require 10 of this 30 of that to deliver from x to y, something like... build your ships, boats, raise animals (your mounts), let the players be creative...anyways good luck with the project ill sure be checking it out! :) 

-Meow -

• DonzkoDonzko Member Posts: 1

I am excited, but before I get very, very excited and start preaching to everyone I know about it's potential. I'd like to know what's the earliest release date I can expect? one year, two years or moar.. ?

• XShadow9XXShadow9X Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Donzko

I am excited, but before I get very, very excited and start preaching to everyone I know about it's potential. I'd like to know what's the earliest release date I can expect? one year, two years or moar.. ?

They're aiming for 2016.

• NemajnebNemajneb Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by XShadow9X

They're aiming for 2016.

Good Afternoon,

I actually work in marketing for Forsaken Studios and have contacted mmorpg.com to update some of the information.  The game is expected to launch a little earlier than it is listed and the game will also be a subscription based game.  I'll keep the site up to date the best I can.

Thanks,

• ThradokThradok Member Posts: 57
    Good to hear :)
  • GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    hopefully the devs won't pull off a Mortal Online; it can't get lower than that

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

People should get excited for this game as much as they should get excited for ES:O and Wildstar.  The game has a lot of promises and goals which don't mean crap until they show their work.  Many game designers have a whole slew of things they want to bring to the game but reality is that only a fraction gets delivered.

I wish the best for this game and it's developers but this is something not to get excited at all over until some of the work is shown off.  Gamers have been promised things time n time again only to be let down.

• RuviRuvi Member Posts: 1

Sure, the game is pretty far out, and if it just doesn't grab your interest that much, then don't pay it any mind for a couple years- that's fine.

Personally, like others excited by EoC's developement, I'm just helplessly drawn to what I see is this game's incredibly ambitious and creative mindset. It's hard to see how the sheer scope of the project is going to be tackled by a small indie developer, but that's partially what makes the whole ordeal intriguing- seeing whether or not, and how, they pull this off.

Besides that, the game's features and the developer's vision almost fit just exactly with what I've been looking for in a game for years now. Thus, I want to hype up and get as much support going for this game as I possibly can, because the more support the game has the bigger chance that it might actually become a reality. And I really want to be wandering the deserts of Qadaroth sometime in the future- setting out to sail in a massive world full of truely un-scripted and dynamic gameplay with other real, living people. For me, it's like everything I wanted EVE online and SWG to be, but in a fantasy world.

• StormakovStormakov Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Isn't the world ending in like 2-3 months?
  • AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Stormakov
    Isn't the world ending in like 2-3 months?

Yes.

That said, is it really "cool" now to not get excited about video games?  I've been computer gaming since the early 80's.  I've even developed a few RPGs in my time.  It's an exciting topic for me.

I understand not wanting to get 'excited' yet over a game that still has years of dev ahead of it, but there is nothing wrong with "being excited about a video game".  

It's like saying your'e not excited to go watch a movie that you've been looking forward to.  Or is that not cool either?

Anyway.. Back to your regularly scheduled weirdness.  =)

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

I certainly wouldnt be excited.  At least not untill beta has happend, its gotten great feedback and launch is a few weeks away.  Lots can happen over the course of years with a decent sized voulenteer development team (they are voulenteers right?)

Im just glad someone out there is still trying to make a good sandbox.

I just pray you dont follow the MO mechanics.  Rolling alts in a sandbox isnt my preference...neither is deskilling something i use so that i can craft something i can use, only to have to regrind back my combat skills (should i take the path of not rerolling a seperate crafter)  How about only letting me activate a role including specific skills i can only take out while activated...preventing me from being a heavy plate magic casting dual dagger archer whos the best at all...just dont make me constantly dance alts or play the deskill reskill game please...

Also...really hope they dont do the MO style "hardcore where it doesnt need to be" shake at mmorpgs.

So long as EoC has fluid and fun combat...pve mobs that are more than just for crafting, entertaining and challanging to fight..and not completely bugged....this game will be great.  Just dont do what DF did and ignore everything but the full loot pvp lets get some sad in the box with my full loot pvp.

I think what makes me most nervous is the state of the game and it being here.  Ive seen many games on this list show up as a game in development that were advertising in hopes of investment so they can actually make the game...this site is litterd with ideas that were never made into real games...

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by GreenishBlue
    hopefully the devs won't pull off a Mortal Online; it can't get lower than that

That's the kind of thing that always worries me about these sandbox projects. They sound very exciting when laid out in a feature list, but when they finally get released, they often end up very broken and messy with half the features missing or barely working.

Some sandbox games then get through that phase and become half-decent in the eyes of a hardcore community, but most people who were excited for it just let go of it.

I've tried to get into a variety of sandbox games in the past, but they usually end up in either the broken state I described before, or they force me to endlessly whack away at trees and rocks and repeat the same action one billion timed (usually being visually boring as well) before getting to the more interesting stuff.

I'm fine with there being a hardcore crafter/ trader community, but I personally have no interest in doing something like that.

I just want an MMO game that reminds me of the early elder scrolls series and other games where you wondered what lied beyond the horizon, could go to find out and actually find something interesting other than more bland terrain with trees to whack at (even early WoW had that).

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• FossilzFossilz Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by XShadow9X

They're aiming for 2016.

So far away!