Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] How important is housing to you?

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This is a poll on your personal opinion about housing. How important is housing to you?

I tried to give a range of options, consolidating "Like It" to "Hate It" along with "Would Play" or "Would Not Play".

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• CrisazgoCrisazgo Member Posts: 42

Has there actually been any recent mmo's with housing? I kind of miss it from daoc.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

as have been pointed out the option for my position isnt there.

Yes IF it was done differently.

No if its done the way most MMOs do it.

Housing is explictly designed to not involve itself in character developement or intersect with other players. Its designed to not be a fundemental part of the game, its design to fail in my view. it doesnt HAVE to be designed this way

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I am indifferent. I don't care about it .. but i won't avoid a game if it is there.

In fact, housing, if exists, is usually optional. So no one should hate something that you don't even need to pay attention to.

There should be a "i am indifferent, i don't care" option for the poll.

• XeseXese Member Posts: 39

I haven't played MMORPGS (I could be called a casual player) but the only housing I noticed was in Runes of Magic. It was instanced and kind of boring and in the end I didn't bother with it. If the housing wasn't instanced, at least the location of the house, I might be more interested, with a buying/selling system etc.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I dislike it but would play if required although I'd wish the dev would spend that development time on some other, more important feature.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Housing is explictly designed to not involve itself in character developement or intersect with other players. Its designed to not be a fundemental part of the game, its design to fail in my view. it doesnt HAVE to be designed this way

I'm not trying to get a feel for opinions on the types of housing. Maybe if there were only two possible ways to do housing, I might have tried to approach it, but there are several, with several nuances to the different types of housing. There are only 10 slots in the poll so I stuck with generalities.

I'm really just trying to get a feel for housing in general. If it helps, think of it as, "housing as you see it designed", instead of just the general term "housing".

I'm honestly surprised there are people who dislike housing enough to not play a game with housing. I really just put those options in there to balance the poll out.

** edit **
    Added, "There are only 10 slots in the poll so I stuck with generalities."

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

I like having housing in a game if it is well done......Too often it feels like an afterthought though...... The more interaction I have with the house (ie design, building, adding on, etc) the better.....I also dont mind if its a money sink as long as the house has a purpose and is fun to play with.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

Housing's fun. I remember back when I played a nelf on WoW I used to go pick one of the houses in Darnassus and make it mine. It's fun having em cause it adds to RP.

Originally posted by lizardbones

I'm not trying to get a feel for opinions on the types of housing. Maybe if there were only two possible ways to do housing, I might have tried to approach it, but there are several, with several nuances to the different types of housing. There are only 10 slots in the poll so I stuck with generalities.

I'm really just trying to get a feel for housing in general. If it helps, think of it as, "housing as you see it designed", instead of just the general term "housing".

I'm honestly surprised there are people who dislike housing enough to not play a game with housing. I really just put those options in there to balance the poll out.

** edit **
    Added, "There are only 10 slots in the poll so I stuck with generalities."

but it frames the question unfairly doesnt it?

I dont like housing in MMOs so I would be a vote for dont like. Does that mean I dont like housing? hell no.

so I mean if you want to get real information you need to take this into consideration, if you just want to push an agenda despite the truth then you have the right path in mind. The problem is, in the end, truth usually wins anyway.

• CrimsonFalkonCrimsonFalkon Member UncommonPosts: 46

Between SWG and DAOC I have not seen another MMO bring housing out on the same level or even at all in most cases. If the housing is done correctly as it was in the two games mentioned above, then it is deffinately worth it and I would utilize it to its fullest capabilities and in an RP role.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

I love it! if implemented properly.  I prefer the old SWG system to the way DaOC and EQ2 did it.  But I think housing should be in MMO's and I think players should have the ability to express themselves via thier housing choice.

I thought SWTOR had a good idea making your ship your house, but it was very restrictive in that it was the only option.  I would like to see more options, every thing from a flat in a major city (EQ2), to a guild built castle (AoC and SWG style) to what SWTOR did.  I realize that would require dedicating a lot of resources to one part of a game but, if you're going to make a triple A title why not go all out?  Also, do not make it mandatory to have a house in order to store junk you collect.  Again, choice, housing is not everyones cup o chai.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Originally posted by SEANMCAD as have been pointed out the option for my position isnt there.   Yes IF it was done differently. No if its done the way most MMOs do it.   Housing is explictly designed to not involve itself in character developement or intersect with other players. Its designed to not be a fundemental part of the game, its design to fail in my view. it doesnt HAVE to be designed this way
    I'm not trying to get a feel for opinions on the types of housing. Maybe if there were only two possible ways to do housing, I might have tried to approach it, but there are several, with several nuances to the different types of housing. There are only 10 slots in the poll so I stuck with generalities. I'm really just trying to get a feel for housing in general. If it helps, think of it as, "housing as you see it designed", instead of just the general term "housing". I'm honestly surprised there are people who dislike housing enough to not play a game with housing. I really just put those options in there to balance the poll out. ** edit ** Added, "There are only 10 slots in the poll so I stuck with generalities."  

I dont like housing in MMOs so I would be a vote for dont like. Does that mean I dont like housing? hell no.

so I mean if you want to get real information you need to take this into consideration, if you just want to push an agenda despite the truth then you have the right path in mind. The problem is, in the end, truth usually wins anyway.

You are way over thinking this. There is no agenda, other than seeing how people feel about player housing. I'll update the OP to make sure it's clear we're talking about fictional housing though...for a possible future game, not current or past games.

** edit **

Er...maybe I won't. I don't know if I can edit the post without borking the poll.

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

Housing is the most basic thing for a sucessfull mmorpg

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

"required"?  What game requires housing?

None of these options make sense.

Housing can be fun, but games with no housing can be fun.  Games with no combat can be fun.

To only comment on my personal history in MMORPGs, housing often isn't fun.  It often detracts from the core gameplay of a game (dev hours spent on housing mean less features central to the game's primary theme.)  Only in a few isolated cases where the core gameplay revolved around crafting did housing feel like it "fit" in a game.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Read this first before you post your answer in the poll.

"Housing" refers to housing as you see it. If you've ever played a game, and liked the housing in that game, then you like housing. You would vote on the positive side of the poll. If you can think of some form of playing housing in your head, whether it exists or not, and you like it, then you like housing, vote on the positive side of the poll.

The idea is more to answer, "Do players want housing?". Not, "Do players like current housing implementations?".

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

"Muffins"  LOL, that was pretty funny

Originally posted by SEANMCAD as have been pointed out the option for my position isnt there.   Yes IF it was done differently. No if its done the way most MMOs do it.   Housing is explictly designed to not involve itself in character developement or intersect with other players. Its designed to not be a fundemental part of the game, its design to fail in my view. it doesnt HAVE to be designed this way
    I'm not trying to get a feel for opinions on the types of housing. Maybe if there were only two possible ways to do housing, I might have tried to approach it, but there are several, with several nuances to the different types of housing. There are only 10 slots in the poll so I stuck with generalities. I'm really just trying to get a feel for housing in general. If it helps, think of it as, "housing as you see it designed", instead of just the general term "housing". I'm honestly surprised there are people who dislike housing enough to not play a game with housing. I really just put those options in there to balance the poll out. ** edit ** Added, "There are only 10 slots in the poll so I stuck with generalities."  

You are way over thinking this. There is no agenda, other than seeing how people feel about player housing. I'll update the OP to make sure it's clear we're talking about fictional housing though...for a possible future game, not current or past games.

** edit **

Er...maybe I won't. I don't know if I can edit the post without borking the poll.

It is not impossible for me to over state how critically important it is to consider housing intergrated into the rest of the game play as an extreemly important highly focused point when talking about housing. it is absolutly and totally radically different if its not and I am not expressing it because its something I personally think is important. its the difference between a car component that makes the car move vs. a kids toy in the back seat.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Love IF house is open world and devs put some meaningfulness to it - like in example ability to hire NPC to put near house selling player wares / buy other things from players and other uses apart of just beign a storage.

Don't care about instanced housing at all.

Originally posted by Axehilt
    "required"?  What game requires housing?None of these options make sense.House can be fun, but games with no housing can be fun.  Games with no combat can be fun.To only comment on my personal history in MMORPGs, housing often isn't fun.  It often detracts from the core gameplay of a game (dev hours spent on housing mean less features central to the game's primary theme.)

So you dislike housing, but would play a game if it were optional, or you dislike housing, but would not play a game if it were part of the game.

In SWToR you have your space ships that operate as a form of (weak) housing. It's required...you have to have that ship to get around and you have to hang out on your ship for some minimal period of time to get from planet to planet. It is the player's own personal instance. It has required, but weak, housing. So weak in fact that it's not even seen as housing. Another example might be something like Farmville, where your housing is the game.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

method/style of implementation is more important than binary state of existence.

certain implementations of housing, i.e. instanced housing within a major hub, are equal to no housing as far as my enjoyment is concerned.  player constructred housing in an open static world is a comletely different system and should not be lumped together with instanced housing if my vote is to be cast.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

So you dislike housing, but would play a game if it were optional, or you dislike housing, but would not play a game if it were part of the game.

In SWToR you have your space ships that operate as a form of (weak) housing. It's required...you have to have that ship to get around and you have to hang out on your ship for some minimal period of time to get from planet to planet. It is the player's own personal instance. It has required, but weak, housing. So weak in fact that it's not even seen as housing. Another example might be something like Farmville, where your housing is the game.

That's just it.

I don't dislike housing.

I dislike games which lack focus.

That's why your poll options don't make sense.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

method/style of implementation is more important than binary state of existence.

certain implementations of housing, i.e. instanced housing within a major hub, are equal to no housing as far as my enjoyment is concerned.  player constructred housing in an open static world is a comletely different system and should not be lumped together with instanced housing if my vote is to be cast.

exactly.

I cant express how radically different a housing system is that doesnt touch the rest of the game in any way other than fluff and a housing system that is actually a participant in your characters development. The primary reason people dont like housing is because when asked 'why do I need a house' there isnt an answer because you dont.

Originally posted by Axehilt
    "required"?  What game requires housing?

None of these options make sense.

House can be fun, but games with no housing can be fun.  Games with no combat can be fun.

To only comment on my personal history in MMORPGs, housing often isn't fun.  It often detracts from the core gameplay of a game (dev hours spent on housing mean less features central to the game's primary theme.)

what he and I are saying is that there is a difference between crafting an item that makes you helment a different color and crafting an item that gives you better stats.

why is it so hard a concept to grasp? housing is fluff, it doesnt have to be fluff but it is.

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by SEANMCAD Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by SEANMCAD as have been pointed out the option for my position isnt there.   Yes IF it was done differently. No if its done the way most MMOs do it.   Housing is explictly designed to not involve itself in character developement or intersect with other players. Its designed to not be a fundemental part of the game, its design to fail in my view. it doesnt HAVE to be designed this way
    but it frames the question unfairly doesnt it?   I dont like housing in MMOs so I would be a vote for dont like. Does that mean I dont like housing? hell no. so I mean if you want to get real information you need to take this into consideration, if you just want to push an agenda despite the truth then you have the right path in mind. The problem is, in the end, truth usually wins anyway.
    You are way over thinking this. There is no agenda, other than seeing how people feel about player housing. I'll update the OP to make sure it's clear we're talking about fictional housing though...for a possible future game, not current or past games. ** edit ** Er...maybe I won't. I don't know if I can edit the post without borking the poll.  
    It is not impossible for me to over state how critically important it is to consider housing intergrated into the rest of the game play as an extreemly important highly focused point when talking about housing. it is absolutly and totally radically different if its not and I am not expressing it because its something I personally think is important. its the difference between a car component that makes the car move vs. a kids toy in the back seat.

It's just a poll. Player housing is obviously something that can be very complex. There aren't enough options to get into all the different possibilities. It would require one of those questionnaire sites to really explore the different aspects of housing and which aspects of housing are most important, which are least important, which ones make housing desirable, or which ones make housing detrimental to game play.

Just assume that in some future game, they're going to add housing. If you like housing in whatever form, the decision is between housing as a feature that everyone must have, versus housing that people can choose to play with or not.

Otherwise, just vote "Muffins" and do exactly what you're doing right now, explain your position on the matter further than what's available in the poll.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by jleeii

Between SWG and DAOC I have not seen another MMO bring housing out on the same level or even at all in most cases. If the housing is done correctly as it was in the two games mentioned above, then it is deffinately worth it and I would utilize it to its fullest capabilities and in an RP role.

Fully agree, I do enjoy some MMO's that do not have housing, but I do feel those MMO's are just that MMO's, no really space for the RPG part.

Obvously housing should always be optional, but I already know that if a MMORPG offers housing that i's staying power to keep me playing will increase.

While I don't have experiance with DaoC housing, I do have lots of experiance with SWG and it truly expanded my gameplay as it offered something more that regular RPG's and it was nowhere near something like The Sims as I don't want to imitate reall life virtualy I want o imitate myselfs in realms unknow or planets never to be seen in real life and offered allot more then just being a online combat game which I feel is what I get from most MMO's after WoW.