Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW: Best MMO So Far For This New Player..

I just started playing MMOs a few months ago when a few friends said I had to try SWTOR.  I loved it at first and it introduced me to MMOs.  Looking back, it was embarassing to roll "need" for armor that I couldn't use during Flash Points.  During my first few dungeons, people just quit on my group or flamed me.  I almost stopped playing, but figured things out and now at least get the basics.  Once everyone I know stopped playing, I tried TERA and loved the combat..it was just like XBox action games.  But the lore and whole grinding turned me off.  So a few weeks back, I found mmorpg.com and started to read about the Secret World.  Most of the early posts here were negative (it seems), but I tried the last few betas and love the game.  The combat is not as smooth as TERA, but everything else is better.  The thing I like best is...

You aren't stuck in the role as healer, dps, tank.  It seems like you can play any role legitimately.  I haven't run a dungeon yet, but from watching youtube, it seems like people can still play a strict tank/healer/dps, and also play an effective utility or hybrid role.  I really feel like other MMos should take a look at that...I played a healer in TERA and did fine durting the dungeon runs, but my DPS was so subpar, it was a waste of resources to do anything but heal the tank.

I can also relate better to factions.  I can see how people can be drawn to the Templars (more traditional, old school), the Illuminati (Hipster, Younger, Aggressive..), and Dragon (the whole butterfly effect, natural course thing).  The world of TERA is totally foreign(obviously, it's an Asian inspired game) to me and just whatever..though the Amani look cool.  

And the lore of The Secret World is just awesome.  I like fantasy, but the whole end of the world type thing remind me of the Walking Dead.  

Anyway, this is a great site and will continue to read all the great info put out there

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Welcome to MMORPG and the world of MMO's. This is a good site to learn about a lot of MMO's. The Secret World is indeed refreshing and why I'll be playing it this Friday since I pre-ordered it forever ago. It's the only game that tried to be different from the norm and I applaud Funcom for that.

• meetxj9meetxj9 Member Posts: 133

Those who love this game, will be dedicated players. Not just for the game, but because you dont feel like the game is treating you like a moron. Any player who have ever played an ACTUAL RPG, pen or paper, knows how dep this game actually is. And welcome!!!

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Welcome to MMORPG.com your complimentary flame suit should arrive in 3-5 working days.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

welcome to mmorpg! I enjoyed playing the beta weekend with TSW. I give them credit for thinking outside the box and actually making the players "think" to finish a quest/mission. The environment was great! The only thing i was not impressed by was th combat. Combat just felt a little dull when it came to melee. The ranged combat felt a little better. I think im gonna wait a bit before buying the game and subbing. I wanna hear how players feel about the endgame and if its going to be still "playable" after completing the story line lol.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

Welcome to MMORPG.com your complimentary flame suit should arrive in 3-5 working days.

This made me laugh :D

Posting a glowing review of a game that these forums have a love/hate relationship with? I think he will need it a bit quicker. Are you sure you can't speed up the delivery? :D

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Welcome to the world of MMO's (and subsequently, your new addiction). Glad you've found one you like! I'm 10 years in now, I've played 40+ MMO's and can't seem to stick with one longer than a month these days.

I hope one day I find one that I don't ever want to leave. Maybe TSW or GW2 will be that MMO, but statistically speaking, probably not. :P

Have fun!

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Welcome to mmos OP. I'm happy you like TSW and hope you have fun with it on the following months.

But more importantly, since you're new to mmorpgs in general, i'll provide some very important info, ok? Always remember, FFA open world pvp with full looting, no safe areas, no restrictions anywhere, no pve is the best type of mmo. Really, i know at first it sounds horrible, but oyu'll find the community in these games to be pure awesome and the games to be fair, balanced and fun.

Now, while i'd recomend games like Darkfall and Mortal online for a newbie, the true best option is always EVE online. Very simple and easy to get into game for new mmo players. I'ts sub based but good. really, it as teh best ranking on this very same site. Go try it out image

• CoolrockskiCoolrockski Member Posts: 51

Thanks for the weclomes and the flame suit lol!    If I can handle the SWTOR community flames, I can handle any.  My next goal will be to join a guild/cabal.  I saw mmorpg.com might start one, and I will try to join up since I'm Templar all the way.  

On a bit of an off topic, it seems like MMOers you meet in public chat or groups during games are very hesitant to talk or join up for more quests.  It's like your not asking them out on a date, you just want to run dungeons and content.  I thought the strength of MMOs was running content with people?  That has just been my experience.  I always like it when peope say lets run a  few dungeons or group up. 

• CoolrockskiCoolrockski Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Welcome to mmos OP. I'm happy you like TSW and hope you have fun with it on the following months.

But more importantly, since you're new to mmorpgs in general, i'll provide some very important info, ok? Always remember, FFA open world pvp with full looting, no safe areas, no restrictions anywhere, no pve is the best type of mmo. Really, i know at first it sounds horrible, but oyu'll find the community in these games to be pure awesome and the games to be fair, balanced and fun.

Now, while i'd recomend games like Darkfall and Mortal online for a newbie, the true best option is always EVE online. Very simple and easy to get into game for new mmo players. I'ts sub based but good. really, it as teh best ranking on this very same site. Go try it out image

Thanks for the advice and game recommendations...I'm not ashamed to say I learn a lot from the posters here and just try to make the game experiences better for me with mroe knowledge.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Coolrockski

Thanks for the advice and game recommendations...I'm not ashamed to say I learn a lot from the posters here and just try to make the game experiences better for me with mroe knowledge.

Dude, i was kidding. Don't try those games. I like open world pvp, but not rules or restrictions usually leads to out of control gank fests. Really don't try DF or MO. Also, EVE, while a great game, but ii's insanely complex and very hard to get into. It's extremely deep, but i don't recomend it to a new player. Damm

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Coolrockski

Dude, i was kidding. Don't try those games. I like open world pvp, but not rules or restrictions usually leads to out of control gank fests. Really don't try DF or MO. Also, EVE, while a great game, but ii's insanely complex and very hard to get into. It's extremely deep, but i don't recomend it to a new player. Damm

Seriously the guy's new to MMOs, so how's he supposed to know that you were kidding.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Originally posted by meetxj9

Those who love this game, will be dedicated players. Not just for the game, but because you dont feel like the game is treating you like a moron. Any player who have ever played an ACTUAL RPG, pen or paper, knows how dep this game actually is. And welcome!!!

I agree with this statement. It has been so hard to explain to members of my gaming community that are stuck on GW2 and TSW sucks. It is a true MMO and I will play it until it dies off. Hopefully, for years to come.

• DomenicusDomenicus Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

I agree with this statement. It has been so hard to explain to members of my gaming community that are stuck on GW2 and TSW sucks. It is a true MMO and I will play it until it dies off. Hopefully, for years to come.

Same here... Its hard to explain the feeling of TSW to people used to anti-RPG MMOs (like WoW, DFO and pretty much EVERY MMO around). The atmosphere and the possibilities... My complain in this basis is only the lack of character customization on char creation... This is a low blow in my expectations, due to AoC´s Funcom ...

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Welcome to MMO.

If you are looking for a Cabal dont join an mmorpg one imo.  While some people are cool around here, this is not really a group you would want to guild with.  We are the some of the loudest biggest bitchers on the planets, and expect your guild chat to be filled with GW2 chat, followed by WOW chat, followed by whatever the next flavor of the month game is that people are flocking to.

I also love TSW, I think it fits me perfectly and cant wait til Friday.

Also for a new guy around here, its really only acceptable to think that GW2 is the best MMO ever

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

Its been many years, but for some reason the game systems reminded me of playing Unknown Armies P&P... 

Either way I wasn't really able to get into it... The ambience was great, but the mechanics just felt too stiff and the animations and graphics did not suit me in any way... And combat felt like it lacked weight. You expect some feeling of impact when you swing a hammer or shoot a gun, and there was just no feeling behind it.