Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curious about Weds. Stress Test.

uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128

I have Pre-Ordered like a lot of you, and I am curious about the upcoming stress test.  Due to the chosen time for the stress test I will be unable to attend as I have a career that demands I sit in astoundingly pointless meetings while pretending to pay attention whilest writing code to meet the same deadlines that get pushed back... as a result of said pointless meetings.  I can't help but think I am the only one in this situation... and as a result the servers  ( login/game ) are not going to be properly hammered as only a fraction of the actual player base is going to be able to attend... resulting with a predictably unreliable launch.

Feel free to explain your answer to the poll.

As I said, just cruious.

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

It's slap bang in the middle of EU prime time so i'm sure they'll be sufficiently stressed.

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by Kabaal

It's slap bang in the middle of EU prime time so i'm sure they'll be sufficiently stressed.

Doh!  Suppose I should have specified US time lol.  Considering that the network infrastructure has to be seperated, sucks that the US servers may go under "stressed".

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by uidCaustic

and as a result the servers  ( login/game ) are not going to be properly hammered as only a fraction of the actual player base is going to be able to attend... resulting with a predictably unreliable launch.

The game was already quite stable during BWE2 and lots of people were playing then so I don't think the servers will be unreliable at launch. I still don't understand WHY they are doing a stress test in the first place, last stress test they made some changes to the server-side program but what are they testing now? It feels more like a teaser of the next BWE than an actual stress test (if you add the fact that only a fraction will play anyway due to the timing)

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

I am not about to start doubting Anet now based on the time of day a stress test is held.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

And the main stress test will be on the EU servers.... US people playing is just a bonus to them from Arenanet.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I've stayed away from the last two BWE's just so I can save the freshness of the game a bit longer. I'll attend this Weds Stress Test to see where things are now. I'm already very pleased with how things have come along so far. So it'll be nice just to mess around for a few hours.

I think I'll try to roll a different class and just give it a go for the stress test. Can't wait for this game to be released but I like some others will manage my time in game. Gamebreaker TV folks made a good point on their last Guildcast. Doing 3 or 4 more BWE's for GW2 might actually start to hamper the final experience when the game gets released.

Bascially don't burn yourself out the game before it even gets released. Beta'ing is Beta'ing but this game is so well put together there only so much more I can play without it being permanent.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

Originally posted by Cromica

I am not about to start doubting Anet now based on the time of day a stress test is held.

Oh, I'm not doubting the product, just the illogical nature of the descision.  Though, I did forget to factor in everyone outside of the US... if they recieved a much greater response in pre-orders from EU, then it makes perfect sense actually.  If GW2 releases like 90% of every MMO since Realm Online, I will be more than happy to wait a few days before logging in and enjoying my pre-order goodies. :D

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

I'll be there. Being in Europe, this one's timed perfectly for me.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

I'll be there for the whole four hours as well. Well, I'll need to be at work exactly eight hours after the stress test ends, but I'm sure I'll manage one night with a bit less sleep...

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I have a career that demands I sit in astoundingly pointless meetings while pretending to pay attention whilest writing code to meet the same deadlines that get pushed back... as a result of said pointless meetings.

I feel for you on this one.  I always hated those meetings.  I think the execs hold them just to have an excuse to hear themselves talk.  That and a reason to take the exec guests out for lunch at some fancy restaurant.

We couldn't get freakin' sever upgrades, but the company has plenty to pay for gourmet squid kidneys in hollandaise sauce.  *grin*

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by XAPGames

I have a career that demands I sit in astoundingly pointless meetings while pretending to pay attention whilest writing code to meet the same deadlines that get pushed back... as a result of said pointless meetings.

I feel for you on this one.  I always hated those meetings.  I think the execs hold them just to have an excuse to hear themselves talk.  That and a reason to take the exec guests out for lunch at some fancy restaurant.

We couldn't get freakin' sever upgrades, but the company has plenty to pay for gourmet squid kidneys in hollandaise sauce.  *grin*

Just remember... "Meetings, because none of us are as dumb as ALL of us."  

Buzz word bingo is rather entertaining, though.

• ZenonSethZenonSeth Member Posts: 128

Arenanet have said that they have a substantial fanbase outside the US. It's a good bet that a large part of that is in Europe.

It's only 4 hours though, for those of you in the US... it's not like you'll miss all that much. 

To be honest, after the last BWE, I was really impatient to play the full game. I managed to calm down after a few days... but now the 4hrs of gameplay will probably bring back the urgent need to play this game... not good (unless they release it soon!)

Edit: Also, regarding the posts above about meetings, etc. Reminded me of this quote:

If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be: meetings.
    -- Dave Berry

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Doh!  Suppose I should have specified US time lol.  Considering that the network infrastructure has to be seperated, sucks that the US servers may go under "stressed".

The network infrastructure is indeed separated but I'm pretty sure that both datacenters use the same server config and simmilar if not identical hardware. Therefor the results of the stresstest on the heavily hammered EU servers and the actions taken based on them can be applied to the NA datacenter as well.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Cromica

When you combine the facts that it's during European primetime and they're re-running the final BWE event from the last BWE (which will concentrate players into a single zone), it appears that this is a targetted stress for those European machines. This is interesting in and of itself... they seem happy with the U.S. machines already and want some final numbers from overseas folks... I take that as a good sign.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

I won't be able to attend any of this test because I will be in class all day. Me and a few guildies were wondering why the last stress test was during the middle of the day in the middle of the week and we couldn't figure it out and sure enough we get another stress test falling in the same time period. Strange that Anet is choosing to "Stress Test" during this time period. Sure you can say its prime time in EU, but this isn't the first time they tested it midweek. Hope they get some good data on whatever it is they are looking at at least.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• NickraiderNickraider Member UncommonPosts: 131

Working :((((((

• I'm in agreement that this seems targeted at the EU audience.  Perhaps they made changes to the US servers for the last stress test and now they have propagated those changes to the EU servers.

At any rate, I won't be able to attend for reasons similar to the OP's.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I'm in EU, and the starting time is right in the middle of the dinner here... not the best timing.

I will still try to log in a couple of hours after dinner is over though.

In my opinion, this "stress test" sole purpose is to evaluate the "prime time rush" for European servers so they can balance their hardware accordingly.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• steveys19steveys19 Member Posts: 11

They did the last stress test in order to make sure a bunch of new hardware was working as intended.  They have probably added new hardware that impacts EU and want to stress test it.

Here's exactly why they are doing it:

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/breaking-stress-test-announced/

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Didn't the last test start an hour or an hour and a half earlier than what was announced? I'm hoping this one starts earlier as well. :)

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor
    Didn't the last test start an hour or an hour and a half earlier than what was announced? I'm hoping this one starts earlier as well. :)

The very first BWE did, but I believe the second BWE and the first stress test began exactly on schedule. 

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

They should call it a "stress" test. Emphasis on the quotations cause they just want to get their servers some exercise lol. Teh Devs said so themselves :3

Game looks pretty stable judging from last BWE so shouldn't be any problems 

• VagabondLifeVagabondLife Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

The very first BWE did, but I believe the second BWE and the first stress test began exactly on schedule. 

For me the stress test was as scheduled, but the BWE2 started about 45 min early.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

I will, only to check out how my upraded rig handles it though.