Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: 5 Things Blizzard Did Right

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

See, this is why I love this site. I can just see Suzie, Mike, Bill and Garrett sitting around saying "There haven't been enough tears in the forums lately, lets write an article to incite the masses. Something positive about a popular (everywhere but here) game should do it.".

Hooked every one of them.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972

Tomorrow on MMORPG, after the 5 things they did right, the 25 they did wrong. 

Yeah, that's gonna happen lol.

It is interesting what's missing though. How about gameplay? Items? Immersion? Depth? Crafting systems? Classes? Skills?

Lol. You guys can and should do better than this, really.

Where's the balance? Where's the other side of the story? Where's the other information for your viewers?

I suppose that's about as likely as your quote.

/gg

Zekiah sums it up nicely.

I logged on to D3 last night for the first time in a week to check if i had sold the last of my hardcore items, looking at my friends list there was 1 person playing, lots of friends had not logged on for days some even weeks. So please don't tell me that Blizzard did things right, gamers that have played good games before are just not playing this pos called d3.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

The AH destroys the whole reason to play a game like this; LOOT DROPS. Neither myself nor anyone I know has seen a set item drop. That is just ridiculous. I don't want to play "the AH game", I want to play a hack and slash lootfest. Ok dead horse beaten.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Z3R01

THe AH takes away from the game. Having the ability to look for level appropriate items with the exact stats you want make damn near every drop you find worthless. Sure you can ignore the AH but its really hard when its so easy to spen 100k gold and completely twink a leveling character.

I honestly would rather trading go back to shady sites and Ebay... It could easily be ignored. 

You know that button on the character select screen labled "Auction House"...don't click it. Problem solved.

I do agree that buying items on the AH defeats the purpose of the game. Getting that upgrade drop is what makes these games fun. If it was just a matter of beating the boss...we'd all be done after completing normal mode.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

"I've been able to gear up some of my characters for no more than the gold I find lying about in game."

Don't you think however that the gameplay would be so much more satisfying and rewarding if you were able to adequately gear up your character with gear you found? 

After playing through to 60, I started a new character I found I was getting a lot more excitement from the possibility that gear I found might be better than what I was wearing, which is a fair possibility in the beginning of the game. Later on however as most of the gear is 10 levels below you it becomes much less of a possibility.  I don't mind the idea of the AH, but I sure wish they hadn't geared the drop tables to make the AH a better option for gearing up than just getting drops.

• TalonsWingTalonsWing Member Posts: 33

I disagree on all fronts with the article.  I am not sure what Blizzard was aiming for with D3 other than making a fortune of course.

The story was quite dull, dragging out former enemies for no apparent reason.  In fact it almost felt like a redo of D1 rather than a new tale in the same story line.  THe irony is that the video that  Blizzard did (which I quite liked) set this up more of a corruption of Heaven by the Angels themselves, which would have been a fantastic story.  

There was no need for Leah, no need for her mom, etc.

You could have just set up the story as Diablo returning in the form of a corrupted angel thrown out of heaven and made the fallen one the one in the video ( i just forget his name at the moment) rather than Tyrael.

On the game dynamics itself, I loved the graphics and effects etc but do not understand for the life of me how they made the decsions on the classes.  What was wrong with the existing classes from D2?  Paladin and Necromancer would have fit right in.  So would Amazon.  The Wizard incarnation from D2 would have been fine here as well.  Mind you, I enjoy playing the game, but I am so utterly confused why they went in this direction.

Oh well.  Waiting for Borderlands 2.

• PheniePhenie Member UncommonPosts: 14

Story...? There was a story...? O_o

You sir, need to go play some real RPGs that actually have a good storyline sometime...

• HejietHejiet Member Posts: 49

Can't help to think that someone got paid by Blizzard to post something like this...

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I complete disagree with everything on the list. There are stuff I believe was done right but yeah...

Really... the story was good? I really need to go write a novel cause if you think the story in this game is good I would completely blow you always writing a book about a random story I just made up in the back fo my head.

The only good part about the story is the content they took from other sources and involved in the game. Its the only reason anything at all sounds good. The story outside taking material from the novels and all is just one of the WORST stories around. That being said, its lucky in this game I dont' judge it by story or it would be one of the worst games I played.

• VeldaraVeldara Member UncommonPosts: 30
    While I found the game immensely enjoyable, and I heartily agree with you Ms. Ford on your list.  It was not until I began the "endgame" of Diablo 3 where I started to understand some of the criticism and outright hostility and frustration of the gamers  that have been very vocal towards this game since it was in Beta.

The game from the ground up was build upon the foundation of the RMAH and subsequently any and all patches, balance updates, etc, henceforth.  It's so blatantly transparent as to require one to squint at the sight of it.

I'm a believer in keeping classes and general gameplay balanced and fun, what I don't agree with is doing changes simply because it helps with the auction house.  The recent patch with Diablo 3 has shown just that, and now I will gladly take my slice of humble pie and concede to those that have been praising the upcoming competitors and say "Yes you were right on this one."
  • SSJGotenx268SSJGotenx268 Member Posts: 63

End of Act III and the beginning cutscene of Act IV still has my mouth dropping. I could watch that over and over again.

• werewoodwerewood Member Posts: 76

I have enough millage in D3 to feel ok with not liking it. I wouldn't recommend anyone to go beyond the initial difficulty level. Repetition is the outcome of lack of content. And grinding is not fun.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

i actually disagree with every point in this article.......i don think that has ever happened.

D3 got very little right. Luckily they got the most important thing right which is combat.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

Im sorry but i cant agree with any of them, so lets see as the OP said:

5 - Auction House: Argue that is easy to toon up characters. Thats the point of an ARPG getting better gear to progress ingame, if you can buy your items from the AH theres no point in playing the game.

4 - Whimsyshire : Yes this is the endgame, Little poney and rainbows, i know theres a cow level in D2 but hey! THERE IS NO COW LEVEL! :)

3 - Companions: So you dont feel alone, a helpfull companion will follow you and get one shot everytime.

2 - Story: The best of the Three, there is girl that doenst believe in monters but she spend half the game killing them. Whats the story again!? i only finished the game 5 times.

1- Adrian, Cain, Leah: Who? 

So many things that bliizard did right and none is the only thing blizzard can do in my opinion:

The Artwork in general, diablo 3 have many haters but everyone of them can agree that the artwork, music and cinematics are the best thing they can offer, besides that theres nothing else.

Watch this from 4 yrs ago and feel even more ripped off, yes this is the game four years ago, how can that be better then today, thats my question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri4HNggFHqc

Beta tester maniac

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

Disagree with the story. Sorry. People might look at me funny but I ended up reading the sin war trilogy while waiting for D3. The story was a huge let down for me. Lots of things unanswered from the books and such.The story really pissed me off. If the writer of this article meant the cutscenes by story then I agree. But IMO no. 

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

5 out of 100. Diablo III is far away from diablo 2 in gameplay. Now its platform for chinese farmers to feed their families.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Well glad you like the game, Suzie, but I personally have to disagree with you on every point, as every one of them are things that make me dislike this game. I'm not going to get into a point by point list as it is all down to one's opinion and personal taste.

I will say however that to me Diablo 3 very much resembles the difference between cool Elvis and Vegas Elvis. To me D3 is very much an aging bloated has-been wrapped up in glitter and nostalgia, whos main drive is not to perform or create, but a vain drive to retain its relevency and to fleece its fans out of a bit more of their money. Which does not mean it isn't still enteraining, but much of its original magic has faded away leaving its current state more pathetic than invigorating.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• forensicskyforensicsky Member Posts: 6

The only thing they did was make sure they could make money off us and the gold farmers.The company sucks now.Hell might as well call blizzard a chinese company.You want to play diablo 3 then go play torchlight 2. Dont give in to these money grubbing punks any more.

• MardukasMardukas Member Posts: 1

The problem with d3 was hugely part and partial to the ah.  In a game so centered around loot that the loot itself is the endgame the AH becomes the endgame.  This is a paradigm I absoloutely cannot agree with.   Sure you could "Play" the endgame by snagging bargain purchases on the ah and turning them around for profit.   There are people so bent on this "endgame"  that they play the AH game more than they play the game.   So keeping it simple ah with zero actual endgame is perhaps the worst thing they could have done.

The idea of whimsey was great but they deemed that they want you to play the game how they want you to.  Whimsey was consequently nerfed to oblivion and back.  The only redeaming feature is 4-5 rares in a zone.   A concept on equal par as cow level ruined by suits.  

Companions are perhaps the one and ONLY part of this post I will agree with.   This being the only true innovation to the trequal.   Sadly its not entirely innovatiive but ill take what I can get.   

Story.... A bit short a bit too similar to d2 in several ways.  Overall not entirely impressed give that they had 10 years and this was the best they could come up with.  Highly unimpressed at the lack of imagination.  I would rip the story a bit more but wont spoil it for those reading that are looking to play in the future.   

Adaria, Cain and Leah.  These characterrs fall into part of the story and should be classified as such.  Deckard cain was an old man in diablo 2.  The story line takes place 20 years after diablo2.   This man should be dust by now.  Leah... an unimaginative MacGuffin The writing on the wall as to her was well plastered in act 1.   In 10 years they really could not come up with better plot devices?   Could they not have been so quick to spill the beans so early on.   Adria was simply the antagonist working to achieve her goals.  It would have been nice if they could have added some backstory rather than 1 or two lines of dialogue.  

Unimaginative, flat, and short lived unless major overhauls are made I give this game 4/10 on its creativity, playability and replayability.   

• KyllsynKyllsyn Member UncommonPosts: 110

" With Whimsyshire, a Mario-esque looking zone packed" 

Obviously the writer has never played Warcraft 3. 

all derp'd out and nowhere to herpaderp.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

There is just a ton of things wrong with this post. I can't go into it all however i have to say that this post is like one of those media tabloid channels on tv that are paid to put a spin on something that anyone can see is completely the opposite of what's being claimed. It's reminiscent of another article we've all seen of the launch of SWTOR.

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

Simply put, I disagree with everything that the OP stated.  Amazingly, everything.  For the record, every site that has a stream of people discussing D3 is probably 90% anti-D3.  Saying just these forums is foolish.  The game offers smooth combat, OK story, interesting characters (not the ones you mentioned...Imperius being one), and the best thing by far is the nostalgia you try to feel while playing.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

WTF MMORPG?!  Really?  If I had to name the five things that Blizzard fucked up the most on, these "Five things Blizzard got right" would be the list.  Seriously.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Unfortunately an unbiased review is impossible for a site like MMORPG.COM now. If they were to write an honest review and slate Blizzard for what is basically a huge internet scam they'd never get invited to another Blizzard press conference, or to betas of future games like Titan.

Journalistic integrity has been sacrificed for future participation in Corporate Spin.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Ill start by saying i love the game.

great graphics.

like the AH/RMAH

side quests.

unfortunately if you goto diablo3 official 'general forums'-its a mess in there. alot of hateful posts and very few blue posts/slow patches, pretty ugly. perhaps they are scrambling-yes scrambling to figure whats gone wrong- but this was totally unpredictable with all the hype this game had before launch.

funny how the media hasnt targeted this issue maybe couse they hyped it so much themselves they would hate to be proven wrong?

hmmm-player base dont lie.