Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My theory about 7 years worth of content- What they could do

KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

i heard somewhere how it is possible that there will be 7 years worth of content with this mmo.

Im hooked on Secret world in the same way i was for Old School mmos. There is something so good about the simplicity of the weapon and ability system and the ability wheel in general.

First of all funcom has given us access to 9 different weapon classes, with x amount of abilities for each class.

The way the wheel is designed, and the fact that each type of wepaon class is very simple, means that in fact they could go on adding new types of weapons within each class ongoing ?  Like for example with guns, there is 3 different choices, but if funcom elaborated and added ongoing new weapons with in each type of weapon (guns/melle/magic) it shouldnt be too much of an issue seeing as everyone has the chance to learn every ability, every weapon, every skill point, the same way as everyone else.

Think of this point;

Because everyone gets the chance to learn every alternative on just one character, there is no need to worry ever about inballanced classes , because everyone gets to learn any of the skills, weapons or abilities too.

This means in general funcom could just keep on dding new weapons within each class, and it wouldnt affect balance issues for the reason i talked off in the last paragraph.

The more wepaons, abilities and skill points, the better for the mmo, if they add new weapons, abilites and skill ponits, then everyone has even more mmo to play.

This could in fact be the first of the non wow type mmo weve seen for years now. This mmo has the potential to keep us hooked for years, if funcom add more weapons, skills and abilities because everyone, gets the chance on the one character to learn more weapons and gain more abilities and skills :)

I think it would be quite easy to make the skill wheel much larger, even the skill points are made in such a way that they could in fact add more than the current damage and survivability oiptions per weapon/talisman sets.

It could in theory go on forever.

Surely this mmo has the potential to keep all of us playing because each of us are able to purchase alll the skill points, all the weapons, and all the abilities. We can all choose to learn every option within this game, on one character, exactly the same as the rest of the people playing.

This set up could be the answer to keep us all playing this mmo for years, just as we used to do when SOE were famous :)

Please discuss amoungst yourself what you think of these thoughts. I am very excited to play the game on release. There is just something so right about this mmo :)

Comments

• SilmasSilmas Member UncommonPosts: 13

In this game you have to think.

This is the major difference to other games which were published in this year.

But i don't think that there are 7 years of content (already) included, more likely it will be last for 2-4 months for hardcore players.

But i am happy to play this game next friday.

• DomenicusDomenicus Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by Silmas

But i don't think that there are 7 years of content (already) included, more likely it will be last for 2-4 months for hardcore players.

Aye, they put the effort on quests to be solved with intelligence, kind of an ARG.. And to make it is very difficult, specially if you tie it up with mostly quests (and must be at least a thousand quests). 

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181

7 years worth of content? What a load of bs, you'll be lucky if you get a couple of month's worth.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

I figure there will be two weeks worth of story, since there are 9 zones and I did all of kingsmouth and savage coast in a beta weekend. What else do they have planned for monthly content etc?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

All i care about is if they update it quickly like Rift did. The box content should guve me 2-3 months, which is enough for me to get my money's worth. It's the only themepark where i'm hopeing to keep subbing from time to time and connect to the gameworld. It's up to Funcom to put up or shut up. 

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

The problem with content is it works differently for people in terms of timing. There will be those who rush to the end.  In their mind's there isn't enough content since they will finish fairly quickly.  Then there are the explorers, causal gamers ect. who are fine with the content.  Then there is everyone in between.  

In reality each persons perspective is different depending upon their play style.  And enough content for 7 years in the eyes of Funcom/EA may be subjective.  Is their perspective of  years worth of content the same as yours, mine, others? 

I personally like  this game and will play it as long as it keeps me entertained.  In the beta weekends I played I had a lot of fun trying different things out.  This is the first game in awhile I have played (SWTOR, Tera, Rift, LOTR, AEON ect) that has given me hope to keep me interested more than a few weeks to a month.

• pdx2012pdx2012 Member Posts: 7

I think you may have misunderstood what the devs have said. They say that they have planned content for 7 years, not that there is 7 years of content in the game right now :) But I like that they have longterm plans. One thing's for sure, they never give up on their MMOs - Anarchy Online is still running after 10 years!

• litewolflitewolf Member UncommonPosts: 18

Love the game.

Great quests - Actually have to think on some of them. People were calling some bugged without looking around since they werent completely spoon fed to them. haaaaaa

Skills - The skill system is pretty revolutionary imo. How to earn them, you can eventually get all, have to pick the right combination, etc.

Visuals - The world looks amazing on a high end system. I like the feel of it being modern and not fantasy.

PVP- 3 sides! Fantastic. Taken a long time for someone to copy DAOC. Lets hope they can expand it to forts, bases, weapon depots, etc.

Looking forward to Friday. =)

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

The problem with content is it works differently for people in terms of timing. There will be those who rush to the end.  In their mind's there isn't enough content since they will finish fairly quickly.  Then there are the explorers, causal gamers ect. who are fine with the content.  Then there is everyone in between.  

In reality each persons perspective is different depending upon their play style.  And enough content for 7 years in the eyes of Funcom/EA may be subjective.  Is their perspective of  years worth of content the same as yours, mine, others? 

I personally like  this game and will play it as long as it keeps me entertained.  In the beta weekends I played I had a lot of fun trying different things out.  This is the first game in awhile I have played (SWTOR, Tera, Rift, LOTR, AEON ect) that has given me hope to keep me interested more than a few weeks to a month.

To answer several peoples replies at once, I say this;

To start wih, there may be a few months worth of content, but I was pointing out the difference with this games future, with its future updates with regards to the way weapons, abilities and skills work. There is no reason why they cant extend the skills system further, and the ability wheel further, and the choice of weapon types too, because basically there is no need for the professions to be balanced, because everyone gets the option to build up any profession combo choice they wish. I was pointing out as well, that every person can max out all abilities and skill points, and use every weapon, on just the one character. Balance doesnt cxome into it with this system, it means Funcom can go on making more weapons, more abilities and more skills indefinitely. This aspect of the game, being able to max out the 525 abilities and all skill levels, plus also being able to build up on future weapons and abilties and skills too. All on the one character. This aspect of the game ,which we usually associate with levelling is fully open to every one. Esentially everyone has the same class as each other, its a matter of what you choose to use at any one time that makes who you are in game. This is a mega bonus for pvp players because nobody can bitch that X person is more uber than the other x person, because there is no reason why you cant use the same combination of weapons, skills and abilities as the most powerful. EVERYONE has access to every skill, ability and wepaon on just one character.

As I just pointed out, this aspect alone means balance is no longer an issue, also it means funcom can keep adding more weapons, skills and abilities ongoing I think ???

As for the actual questing to max, and having new zone content  to be able to max out your new weapons skills and abilities, this aspect may be a lot more difficult, but who knows, who knows how easy it is to add new zones etc. Who knows what will happen its just a theory i have about how they may develop the game in the future. There is one bonus for those wishing to wait for new zones, if they do add new weapons abilities and skills, and that is you can pretty much go back to any zone anywhere i think, and redo old quests, ongoing. There is a egg timer for all quests i think and when that timer runs out you can redo the quest.  This is a great way to practise maxing out weapons, skills and abilities... redo old quests while you kill things for more AP, SP, and inventory goodies.

Do you guys see what im saying ? Instead of just levelling to 50 on one class out of say 10, weve all got one class, and we can paly the game basically maxing out the ability wheel, maxing out the skill points, and mastering every weapon in the process. You wont just get to 50 and not have any end game content, you can try new weapon comboes if you get to end game, on any quest in any zone, the old levelling system, the only choice you had at max level, was to somehow figure out end game content (it never is quite clear the process yoiur meant to take at ewnd game cause the main quest line usually finishes, leaving you to your own devices to figure out what to do) Also if you wanted to try out other classes, the only choice you have is to redo the old content in the same order as you just did with your main charcter. With Secret wolrd it is different, if you get to last quest, you can choose any of the quests available in any area I presume, with the system thats in place it looks like you can pick and choose any quest to level out your new skills in ANY ORDER, in any zone :) That system right there gives us end game content with the old content, if i feel like going back to knigsfield today, to level up hammer on the quests ther,e I can do that. this factor should in theory make every zone have people in it regularly.

It seems to me a very cool system in place . Seems more like its a proper mmo, because of the way the system works, at least if im right that every zone plays out like kingfields town plays out, and if Funcom do choose to add more weapons, skills and abiliaites.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

"

Originally Posted by Ragnar Tornquist
    We have something called "Exodus." I'm not going to spoil it, but something's going to happen after the game launches. A good while afterwards, we're going to take one of our locations and we're going to completely screw with it and make sure it completely changes based on what the players have done. If they're successful, it goes one way; if they're unsuccessful, it goes another way. The servers will be different as well.

"

Just sayin'.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by Silmas

They didn't say they had 7 years of content in the game, they said they have 7 years of content planned for the game (as in, post-release), so I guess they say it uncludes content updates and expansions that continue the storyline.

EDIT:

From an article in massively:

"We have actually begun not only design work but art work on content that's due after launch that has been planned from the get-go," writer/director Ragnar Tornquist told Eurogamer.

"The second you start playing The Secret World you'll actually see hints at where the content is going and what it's going to be. And we really wanted to get a head start of that. We have content, a significant amount we're planning to release after launch. How long that's going to take is really hard to say - it really depends on what players want. But yeah, it's ready to go!

"We have plans for seven years after launch for both the content and the story and of course cool new features as well," he added. "The game is just starting when we launch."

And this is one of the posts where he talks about it on the reddit AMA:

RagnarTornquist [S] 9 points ago (20|11)

Plans and stories change as new people start working on it -- and that's how it should be. When I left Anarchy Online (in very capable hands, mind you) the writers and designers, together with the community of players, decided to take things in a different direction. And I'm totally fine with that. They made something even greater...although a tiny part of my brain keeps nagging me to go back and tell the story that I'd planned out.

With The Secret World, however, we have built such a deep, solid and complex storyline into the very fabric of the game -- every little detail MEANS SOMETHING -- so whoever takes the reins in some distant, post-apocalyptic future (where I've become a grizzled, leather-clad warlord and am no longer working on the game) will have to follow through on our SEVEN YEARS OF STORY CONTENT (TM) plans. Otherwise it all falls to pieces. Jigsaw pieces. Being part of this enormous jigsaw puzzle of a story. As it were.

What can men do against such reckless hate?