Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom got it right

david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Played the open beta weekend and had a good time. After playing wow for 5 years (canceled for over a year now), trying the following, WAR, Aion, D&D, LOTR, AOC, Tera and Rift (being the best out of that group) I was like yes!! a different mmo i will actually want to long onto every night. I'm really looking forward to the social part of this game along with the gameplay itself. I'm also crazy happy about how the leveling of skills are, less racing to the end and "hey look at me im 80" lol.

Hope to see a lot of you "trolls" and "fanboys" here from mmorpg :)

All and All who thinks Funcom got it right also?

Peace

Lascer

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Yup, totally agreed. TSW is simply "my kind of game".

It has Funcom's trademark flair, but it will also come with a healthy dose of Funcom's trademark bugs, lol

However, I can't wait for early access to start image

• taggzortaggzor Member Posts: 10

Yup, pre-ordered yesteday <3

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

What do you like about the game? 

After playing the Beta this weekend, I will not be touching this game ever again, typical Funcom game. Bugs and borning game play.

The combat was god awful.

My Charater and every other charater I saw including the cut movies the people where two toned like Two face from Batman.

I will admit I played the game for 2 hours and could not stand to play it anymore.  So "You did not put in enough time" is valid but I could not be bothered to but in more time as within that 2 hours it was clear this game was crap imo.

So, what did you like about the game, I am intersted in knowing as I did not see a single thing that make this game worth a month sub.

In the first 20 to 30 minutes you got to "play" the game for like 5 minutes.   I understand the need to tell the story but dear god almost a half hour into the game and I have still not controlled my toon? 

Sooner or Later

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Great game! I was a fan of AoC regardless of the launch so I don't mind the hate Funcom received with AoC. I don't agree with their F2P model in AoC, but that's about it. C U all ingame Friday.

• highflyinghighflying Member Posts: 22

Yup I love it as well, had a blast during the first open beta weekend, and got a closed beta key from a friend later on, and I've played a lot since then...kinda stupid since I have to re-do everyting now, but I'm gonna chose a different faction though.

Glad U like it :=)

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

I am still kind of on the fence with this one.

I really like the story. I really like the way quests are given and the dialog. I really like the characters. I really like the "make you think" puzzle like quests. I love the mysteriousness the world has, as well as how everything is portrayed. It is a feeling I have never had when playing an MMO.

I feel the combat is lack luster. The animations seem off compared to the GCD most of the time. The 2 classes I played basically felt the exact same, the only thing that really feels like it matters are how you stack your HP/AP/Healing depending on what you want your role to be. Every class has the same 5 point combo system ... yawn. There are a ton of bugs in the game. I came across many bugged quests just in the starter zone. It feels way too solo friendly for my liking.

I just don't find myself wanting to log in (the biggest issue). It feels like another one of those SWTOR games to me. The story and quests are the only part that seem fun. It's too bad the combat (AKA gameplay) is so lackluster. Maybe I just need to get more into it and give it time ... but if it doesn't grab me now, I don't see how it will a month on down the line after I "beat the game".

To each their own, I just am not convinced, especially with the whole subscription AND cash shop model. I will play it in a couple months after it goes F2P, like everything else has.

• GerrigGerrig Member Posts: 30

Was having some serious regards towards this game... at first. But after a few beta weekends I like what I've experienced. I still have a few reservations, dead NPC animations, just standing along the road looking like statues. Too clean roads in the city and similar things. However, no game is perfect, at best the're hardly playable these days. Tried out Guild Wars 2 beta weekends and yeah, its pretty n all. But thats about it. Feels the best game out there still... is strangely WoW, which I and others have been complaining on since forever now.

Perhaps my pre-order of TSW will come and bite me in the ass but hey... gotta try something :)

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

The game isn't for everyone. Not every game can appeal to every potential customer. It isn't a reflection of good or bad taste to like something someone else doesn't. If you don't like TSW no problem. There are many other games that might appeal. Sometimes it is hard to say 'why' a game is good, often it is just personal preference.

For me, the game is fun first and formost.

The setting is different to other MMO's.

The story telling is very good.

The skill system is very open allowing great exploration and experimentation.

Exploration is rewarding.

Questing is varied and the need to actually think about things (if only it is to take a step back and not rush through).

Sure there are negatives: -

Such as limited character creation (personally I got the look I wanted and didn't even notice an issue but there are limited options).

There are bugs but nothing that prevents playing (most bugs I see others complaining about are just people being lazy and not actually working out what is needed or where to look or how to do something).

Major memory leaks mean I have to reboot the game every few hours. I need to upgrade to 64bit to fix but it is a problem, for me the biggest.

The price of the subscription is a lot comparatively. I could care less what it is TBH as long as it is in line with other countries but it isn't. Saying that, it is the cost of 3 pints of beer a month so I don't mind that much.

The biggest thing for me though is that others MMO's out there bore me after trying the first beta. I was always mildly interested in TSW, GW2, WOD and Mechwarrior. Having had a chance to play TSW it is worth buying. I just want to try the others now and see if they will also grab my attention.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by TdogSkal

After playing the Beta this weekend, I will not be touching this game ever again, typical Funcom game. Bugs and borning game play.

My Charater and every other charater I saw including the cut movies the people where two toned like Two face from Batman.

I will admit I played the game for 2 hours and could not stand to play it anymore.  So "You did not put in enough time" is valid but I could not be bothered to but in more time as within that 2 hours it was clear this game was crap imo.

So, what did you like about the game, I am intersted in knowing as I did not see a single thing that make this game worth a month sub.

In the first 20 to 30 minutes you got to "play" the game for like 5 minutes.   I understand the need to tell the story but dear god almost a half hour into the game and I have still not controlled my toon? 

I can tell you what I liked.

Besides setting, I like the skill wheel system. The way the combat worked didn't necessarily bother me as I felt there was more to go that could build upon one's current low level character.

What I really liked, besides story, was that the quests weren't just go out and kill x.

I liked searchign for the information to input into that little cell phone under the rock. I liked finding the crows and then having them lead me to the playground area with that thing that you summon.

Or just finding the boxes of half eaten squid.

I think for those who are willing to play the meta game and for those who like story in their game, this can be a winner.

The idea that you can make a character that follows a type of character that you want is definitely a winner.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

From looks of your post history sounds to me like your more burned out with games in general maybe its just time for you to do something else RL hobby wise for abit.Plenty of times I step back from gaming for months at a time.With TSW I was kinda blah at it about 45 mins I logged out told a friend man this game is junk and I wouldn't be trying it anymore.Logged back in that afternoon played some more and things began to click.

The combat does not bother me in all honesty I have played other games with way worse combat (lotro,rift,warhammer online,) to name a few.Once I stopped hitting escape on every cutscene I got more interested in the game.It may not be for everyone but I think the game has a chance to do quite well.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by stranger911
    Anyway once Gw2 turns out to be the same old and people leave, this game should be well polished.

Hopefully, I am just tired of the release BS. And you said it yourself. By Janauary 2013 (or later), this game will be polished. Unfortunately, it is releasing in like 3 days. I found that sometimes I found it difficult in the game to determine if something was bugged or that I had to search/find something. Most of the time, I just took a couple steps back and figured it out. But many times, I could repeat the same quest 2-3 times and get the same bugs over and over again.

This is am IMMEDIATE turn off for me. I can't imagine the hellacious bugs in the higher level zones and content. It is most definitely going to be worse. And when the sounds and graphics broke a few days ago, it was like ... really? Funcom doesn't have the reputation to be making errors like this, especially less than a week from head start/release.

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

I think they got it right.

I actually enjoy the combat.

I grew up reading Lovecraft, so I like the setting.

The different mission types are neat.

Grouping up with people was easy and fun.

The graphics are great.

I just hope they keep adding stuff to keep it going.

I didn't get to try out the PVP, but I definitely intend to once it launches.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• LyvinsLyvins Member Posts: 70

i don't like TSW, but that has nothing to do with Funcom or the game, it just doesn't fit me. 

I do think that TSW has done alot of great things with the game and i hope to hear alot about it in the coming years. I might give it a shot some day, but first i have to get bored of elves and fanthasy MMo's. atm that isn't happening yet.

Do hope you guys have a great launch ^^

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115

what is the endgame in this game? What do I when I have my deck complete and I do not want new abilities I do not desire?

PvP? Raids? Story?

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by rznkain

From looks of your post history sounds to me like your more burned out with games in general maybe its just time for you to do something else RL hobby wise for abit.Plenty of times I step back from gaming for months at a time.With TSW I was kinda blah at it about 45 mins I logged out told a friend man this game is junk and I wouldn't be trying it anymore.Logged back in that afternoon played some more and things began to click.

The combat does not bother me in all honesty I have played other games with way worse combat (lotro,rift,warhammer online,) to name a few.Once I stopped hitting escape on every cutscene I got more interested in the game.It may not be for everyone but I think the game has a chance to do quite well.

It could be burn out or it could be burn out on generic MMOs.

I am currently playing EvE and loving its freedom and PvP.  Maybe I am just over the theme park games.  

The ability to customize the skill is nice but the game was not.  I did not like the combat as I could not tell who I was targeting half the time nor their life.

Sooner or Later

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I'm in the same boat as you. I played for 5-6 hours, but I hit that wall as well where I wasn't having having fun.
    I agree with all of your gripes, but instead of dwelling on those I will tell you what I actually liked about the game.

I liked the story (when it wasn't interfering with my ability to actually play the game). The voice acting was decent in most areas with very few grimace worthy moments.

I liked the idea of the skill system, if not how it was implemented.

I liked that most quests involved using your brain, even though they still had the classic kill x zombies, go collect x documents, etc. They did those types of quests in a unique way.

Still not a game that I'd want to pay a sub for. Good luck to those who enjoy it, though. :)

• CoolrockskiCoolrockski Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by david361107

Played the open beta weekend and had a good time. After playing wow for 5 years (canceled for over a year now), trying the following, WAR, Aion, D&D, LOTR, AOC, Tera and Rift (being the best out of that group) I was like yes!! a different mmo i will actually want to long onto every night. I'm really looking forward to the social part of this game along with the gameplay itself. I'm also crazy happy about how the leveling of skills are, less racing to the end and "hey look at me im 80" lol.

Peace

Lascer

I'm the opposite, new to MMos this year but feel the same about leveling.  Everyone races to the highest level, then what?  They want more and the developers have a hard time keeping up new content for the end of gamers.  The idea you can change up skills and roles within the same character should keep things interesting longer...I think also it will help to be invested in your alliance.  If you really want the Dragons to succeeed, there is probably content geared towards this..

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Agreed. Enjoyed my time in beta, preorder and waiting for early start. TSW is not without its flaws but theres enough done right there for me i think I'll be playing for a bit.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by MattVid

I am still kind of on the fence with this one.

I really like the story. I really like the way quests are given and the dialog. I really like the characters. I really like the "make you think" puzzle like quests. I love the mysteriousness the world has, as well as how everything is portrayed. It is a feeling I have never had when playing an MMO.

I feel the combat is lack luster. The animations seem off compared to the GCD most of the time. The 2 classes I played basically felt the exact same, the only thing that really feels like it matters are how you stack your HP/AP/Healing depending on what you want your role to be. Every class has the same 5 point combo system ... yawn. There are a ton of bugs in the game. I came across many bugged quests just in the starter zone. It feels way too solo friendly for my liking.

That was very much my feeling, as well.  I'm very interested in the story, the setting, and the feel of the whole game.  I love quest delivery, though your character never speaking "half-life style" feels awkward; you'll have characters that are flat out hostile to you then warm up to you simply because you just stare at them blankly.  Anyhoo, I particularly like how sidequests are spread about the landscape; you just happen upon them rather than them being piled up in a quest hub.  This feels SO MUCH more natural.

But combat is pretty much excruciating and clunky, IMO.  And worst of all, mobs are sprinkled all over and largely unavoidable, and on my last beta, they chased me ACROSS THE ENTIRE MAP.  So, avoiding the most negative part of the game is nigh impossible.  But hey, there's something to be said about a game that's still appealing even if the combat isn't.

My verdict:  I'll pick up the game, but definitely not at launch.  It's bugged to oblivion in typical Funcom style, and I'm predicting yet another one of Funcom's horrible launches.  And while it's true that there are SOME quests that just seem bugged because you might not be doing the right thing, there are plenty that are just plain bugged; for example, trying to get the guy's "shopping list" by the police station would be much easier if it wasn't IN the table.  And many of those that aren't bugged are resolved by doing things that aren't apparent, and often should be unnecessary.  How you access a certain jail cell, for example.  There's a difference between trying to make a person think, and trying to make them read your mind.

I'll probably do what I did with Conan:  wait til the box is about 10 bucks, buy it and enjoy the story during the free month.

• DomenicusDomenicus Member UncommonPosts: 290

IMHO the game needs serious polish, including a revamp on character creation (which will not happen in launch, unfortunatelly).

However I am totally sold on it... I had pre-ordered on day 1, was on BWE 1 and thought (wow, it seens a cool feeling, but all seens to thrown  in, too loose, bad animations, bad combat but good history, quests). I got myself thinking it was a bad idea pre-ordering it... the BWE 2 changed it a little (thansk to improved graphics, I think)... The BWE 3 got me, thanks to PvP, improved graphics.. Althought the character customization in start almost takes away all the atmosphere due to lack of options and overall ugliness (specially the female models). 

Today I love the game, however I dont see me playing it for too long if there is no improvement and polish... We need to observe also how will be the community ... In BWE 1 the players were good and helped to set the right mood, and that made a huge difference for me. However the BWE 3 was a total let down in terms of community.. Not a DFO level (I dont think anything will be near that, except if we make a forum  only to discuss religion and politics, with a maximun age of 14 years old), however bad enough to me to just turn off the ´general´ and ´help´ channels to not  spoil the fun. And this game screams for a good community...

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237
    Originally posted by MattVid
    ... And when the sounds and graphics broke a few days ago, it was like ... really? Funcom doesn't have the reputation to be making errors like this, especially less than a week from head start/release.

unfortunately FC DOES have EXACTLY this reputation.

I count on the game beein broken and bugged upon release and shine in like 1-2 years (like AoC)

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by david361107

Peace

Lascer

I think they came really close, which just makes it sad that they missed as badly as they did imo.

The problem I have with TSW is the same one I have with trying to go back to DAOC. The interface, graphics, and combat all feel too dated. I have gotten used to a certain level of polish and I just can't deal with how clunky the game feels to me. It could be great, if it could get out of its own way...

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

I had a fun time in beta. Pre-ordered, and reserved the global names; Thunar, Teiwaz, and Perth.

I love the theme, the graphics, performance, and design. I especially love no traditional levels. TSW feels like what I hoped Fallen Earth would be.

See you fellow players this weekend!

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I'm on the fence on this game as well. I like most things about it. Not enthused about the combat and animations but I can deal with what's there. But I cannot stand their payment model.

• DarnRightDarnRight Member Posts: 66

To each their own. I tried the game over a 2 month period of time in beta. Tried to like it and hated everything about it. I am not dissing those that do like it. Great, but not for me.