Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So...is this like actual D&D or more like EQ/WoW?

ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

Topic.

I am looking for a true RPG experience, and not a traditional MMORPG like EQ, WoW, etc. but more based on what actual D&D is all about - creating your own adventure and having fun with friends.

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Toxilium

Topic.

I am looking for a true RPG experience, and not a traditional MMORPG like EQ, WoW, etc. but more based on what actual D&D is all about - creating your own adventure and having fun with friends.

1.  "instances" have DM narrative.

2.  Combat is "realtime" based off of dice rolls, which you can see.

3.  IMO the "RPG" could use some work.

4.  Best combat system in a MMO.

5.  Crafting IMO is terrible.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

I have been wanting to give this a try.

I guess I will.

I play EQ2 and am looking for something different.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

1. Many balance problems between classes

2. Feels like forcing DnD into the WoW mold

3. Combat for melee feels uninteresting with few actual combat moves, pretty much just click everything and move on

4. Too much repitition unless you spend real $

Originally posted by kadepsyson

3. Combat for melee feels uninteresting with few actual combat moves, pretty much just click everything and move on

Honestly, what game are you playing?

With it's DND Class, Skills and Feats and builds (see forums) this game is not even close to a "WoW mold" game.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

The combat is more action based, and seems melee centric until around level 8 or 9 when casting is more viable. You have to pay attention to your build, and multi-classing/race choices.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

How similar is it to the Neverwinter games?

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I think it's best to try it and see for yourself, since it's free.

For me I would say that originally it was more d&d than it is now.  Since it went f2p it seems they are trying to cater for the 'wow croud' more.

How similar is it to the Neverwinter games?

Very.

Neverwinter could have been an MMORPG.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Topic.

I agree with this except for #4 - that's purely opinion. Combat mostly boils down to holding down your left mouse button and making sure you're facing your target. Fake action combat, really. It gets more interesting once you level up and get more abilities for your abilities bar, then you have to juggle between holding down the left mouse button, facing your target, and timing your ability right. Tera and DCUO are far better examples, imo, of action combat.

DDO is a pretty good attempt at a D&D MMO if you don't mind the whole adventure world being instanced. I prefer a more shared world, but to each their own. It's free to download and play, so give it a whirl. You've got nothing to lose except a little time and hard drive space.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• britzbanbritzban Member UncommonPosts: 260

I have no idea how you feel this is a WoW mold.....

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Most MMOs are what you make of it.  If you slow down, and really ´play´ your character, DDO is just like D&D.   If you solo dungeons, or do it with friends, it would be just like playing DD.

However, you can also play it more like WOW, and just grind through dungeons focusing on gear and advancement and not notice the RP part of the game. 

I personally enjoy the dungeons more in DDO than in WOW because they have more variety and spice.  There are traps, DM narration, puzzles, locked doors and the ability to clear a dungeon based on your characters skills.   I play a Wiz-Rogue enchanter.. I stealth around, charming stuff, taking care of traps and locks etc.   I can then switch to my Barbarian and just whack stuff and clear the same dungeon.   In wow, there is slight differences in how you clear a dungeon, but mostly it is cosmetic stuff and the way you clear it has little to do with what classes you have.

• jessie360jessie360 Member Posts: 65

My only issue with this game is the lack of randomization.  I was part of the beta testing crowd and offered similar opinions to others: randomize certain elements of dungeons to make them fresh and unique each time.  I don't mean X monster has a % chance to show up.  We were talking about randomized deadly traps, enemies, chests, etc.  As it is now, the first time you go through a dungeon it's exciting.  If you go through it with others, they will most likely rush all the way through it and leave you no time to enjoy each part.  After you finish it once, there will be nothing new.

The game design was a terrible choice in my opinion.  The director said "When I was a lad, I liked to go through my games and play each level until I knew them like the back of my hand and mastered them."  Unfortunately, it leads to stale dungeons.

It's an okay game.  Poor design choices kept this from becoming an amazing game.  It's free though, and worth your time if you're bored.

Originally posted by jessie360

My only issue with this game is the lack of randomization.  I was part of the beta testing crowd and offered similar opinions to others: randomize certain elements of dungeons to make them fresh and unique each time.  I don't mean X monster has a % chance to show up.  We were talking about randomized deadly traps, enemies, chests, etc.  As it is now, the first time you go through a dungeon it's exciting.  If you go through it with others, they will most likely rush all the way through it and leave you no time to enjoy each part.  After you finish it once, there will be nothing new.

The game design was a terrible choice in my opinion.  The director said "When I was a lad, I liked to go through my games and play each level until I knew them like the back of my hand and mastered them."  Unfortunately, it leads to stale dungeons.

It's an okay game.  Poor design choices kept this from becoming an amazing game.  It's free though, and worth your time if you're bored.

Interesting, I would say the director and I grew up during PnP DnD among other PnP games.  One thing I would say and it's lost among most gamers and developers today is that MMO's are about your character and their story and it's not about you as a player.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Pyuk

Topic.

I agree with this except for #4 - that's purely opinion. Combat mostly boils down to holding down your left mouse button and making sure you're facing your target. Fake action combat, really. It gets more interesting once you level up and get more abilities for your abilities bar, then you have to juggle between holding down the left mouse button, facing your target, and timing your ability right. Tera and DCUO are far better examples, imo, of action combat.

DDO is a pretty good attempt at a D&D MMO if you don't mind the whole adventure world being instanced. I prefer a more shared world, but to each their own. It's free to download and play, so give it a whirl. You've got nothing to lose except a little time and hard drive space.

You cannot be a caster and hold down the Left Key, far from that, Wiz-Clerics are one of the deepest classes to play in any mmo. I believe this was the first true action MMO, still find it funny that a game like DnD (Pure Turn) churns out the first live action MMO. I still find COH to be one of the best balanced combat models out there, but is more traditional in how it plays out.

• MMOSavantMMOSavant Member Posts: 170

Honestly, what game are you playing?

With it's DND Class, Skills and Feats and builds (see forums) this game is not even close to a "WoW mold" game.

I agree, comparing it with WoW is nonsense. It's D&D, which WoW and every other mmo took as it's inspiration btw...

• GoorlotGoorlot Newbie CommonPosts: 34
    The DM narration and the fact that everything is not all part of one big plot is what makes DDO different from other MMOs. That being said, don't get your hopes up for the (character) roleplaying aspect of the game. Endgame, there are so many items you can use to make up for other classes (scrolls, potions, UMD) that you don't have to rely on having those classes in your party.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited August 2019
    Crap, I wish the homepage would indicate necro threads!

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited August 2019
    Someone did the same thing a couple weeks back Ungood.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Ok.. so what's with all the thread necros?

This one is 7 years old! 

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.