Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is your Blacklisted company?

Comments

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

EA and Bioware. Lame linearity, too much delays and not properly listening to customers will. They are strategically doing what is best for them, stealing money from players and turning a game into f2p, obviously. Or they are just plain dumb. Server merge... They don't do that automatically? Wtf? Instance finder still not there in these crucial times? Should have been an instance finder from the beginning. They clearly don't know where to put their money in.

It's like someone made swtor for himself just to wank off to cutscenes and voice overs. >:(

I demand not to kickstart a game that is going f2p. GO F2P or release it in shops and take sub money. There are way better competitors in the market, and if they think that their game is worth of being paid for before going f2p, I laugh at them.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

I think I'd have to really look into any MMO that LucasArts had a part of before getting into it.  I hold them largely responsible for the various revamps SWG went through in an attempt to aquire a subscriber base that they felt entitle to because "they make Star Wars."  It's how the NGE and SWTOR came to be.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I've been keeping on reading this thread, and it looks like for many here just like for me, it would be faster to list the companies you still "trust" than those you blacklisted...

Who do I trust?

- Blizzard (I don't play Diablo though, never liked that type of games - only talking about MMORPGs here).

Blizzard gave me solid 7+ years of fun in WoW, and I can't just "spit in the soup" like many would. I would buy another Blizzard MMORPG, and will definitely watch what Titan becomes.

- ArenaNET.

- Whatever company Richard Garriot runs, I will watch closely too. He made UO (and all the great Ultima games too), and the Tabula Rasa fiasco definitely wasn't entirely his fault.

- CCP Games.

EvE didn't "catch me" because of the setting and "playing a spaceship" thing, but the quality of the game is undeniable, and they treat their customers well. If CCP ever makes a more traditional sandbox MMORPG, I will definitely keep an eye on it. CCP also knows how to balance a sandbox game so that PvP is progressive, and not forced on everybody.

That's it. All the other companies range from "suspicious" to "will never give a cent again". It's sad, because I have known companies like EA when they were making pretty damned good games for C=64 and Amiga, but it's definitely not the same company anymore. Companies like Turbine have also turned from making fantastic games (Asheron's Call) into corporate greedy nobodies treating their customers like crap.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

I don't care about companies, I care about the games so no blacklists for me.

Why would you "blacklist" a company, even if a game is a failure, their next one might be the best ever! You are missing on some games that just might be what you are looking for. I judge the games, not the companies who make them.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

I agree with a lot of people saying EA. The company really does just treat games as a business investment rather than games. Whilst that may seem like the obvious and logical action, seeing as it is a business they don't seem to realize that its the way they treat projects that ruins them. However you cannot escape EA these days and so I cannot simply blacklist it. Blacklisting is an absolute anyway.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

I used to hate SOE vigourously. Now it's just Blizzard.

I haven't played enough BW games to come to any conclusions about the company. I didn't like TOR at all but that's the only game of theirs I played really, besides both LA and EA were involved in that game aswell so I'm not sure who to blame for what. I dabbled in DA: Origins for a bit but I don't like solo RPGs to start with so it's no wonder I didn't manage to get into that one.

Funcom make great atmosphere games but they always perform like crap and require over the top machines to run properly, I really don't like that but oh well, at least there is some quality in their work, you gotto give them that.

NCsoft make solid titles but they're always mind numbingly grindy. I don't mind mob grinding (I actually prefer it to quest grinding) but the absence of any other meaningful content makes the games rather shallow and short lived, for me anyways. (this doesn't apply to GW, I never played it, besides NCsoft is only the publisher on this franchise afaik)

Turbine did my first ever MMO, AC2, and I'll always love them for it, they're untouchable in my book.

Mythic used to be awesome. They did DAoC and WAR, both of which I enjoyed extensively. Sadly they've been absorbed by the EA machine and I doubt I'll ever enjoy any of their future titles.

CCP, don't know much about them. I never managed to get into EvE. Very much looking forward to World of Darness but that's more for the nature of the game and it's setting rather than the studio developping it.

Originally posted by seridan

I don't care about companies, I care about the games so no blacklists for me.

Why would you "blacklist" a company, even if a game is a failure, their next one might be the best ever! You are missing on some games that just might be what you are looking for. I judge the games, not the companies who make them.

Why? Very simple:

'Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me'

And "blacklist" would be a strong word except for a few specific cases. "utterly cautious"  would be more in line for me for most others.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by Charas

Turbine did my first ever MMO, AC2, and I'll always love them for it, they're untouchable in my book.

I enjoyed AC2 (and AC1 before for years and years), but what was your reaction when Turbine sold the "Legion" AC2 expansion, and then closed the game a couple of months later without offering refunds?

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

You lost faith in the company.

Hell hath no fury like an ex-fanboy, fists tightly clenched in nerd rage?  That'd make a good t-shirt.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DSBHRDSBHR Member UncommonPosts: 75

SOE

The OP should have included a poll imo

• DrughiDrughi Member Posts: 174

BLIZZ

SOE

FUCKCOM

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

blacklisted, no matter what the game or genre,,, there can only be one...

Games for Windows Live...  the true bane of all things PC Gaming related. image

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

EA and SOE but sadly Blizzard is quickly working its way to that list

And for those posting that its stupid to blacklist a company after a single game.... who said it was due to a single release. EA and SOE have a history of destroying companies/titles. Blizzard is working its way on the list due to bad game design, incomplete games(SC2), and complete money grab tactics.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Charas

I enjoyed AC2 (and AC1 before for years and years), but what was your reaction when Turbine sold the "Legion" AC2 expansion, and then closed the game a couple of months later without offering refunds?

If I remember correctly, I had already quit AC2 by the time the expansion hit. Even as a complete MMO noob I could tell the "end game" was non existent. Once you hit level 50, the only thing there was to do was that cool quest chain that ended in killing Deimos, the badass dragon, and rewarded a nice plate armor set (which even casters and archers could wear, haha kind of ridiculous when you think about it.) Once everyone was running around with the exact same gear and nothing else to do, I realized it was time to move on. SWG was around the corner at that time aswell and being a long time SW fan, I would've switched to that regardless.

Still, the first few months of AC2 were some of the greatest online times I've had, ever. Had I still been playing when they shut down, I surely would've been just as upset as you though.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

2) You said it yourself. It is a shame you are missing out on a game you called awesome. And for what? Blacklisting companies is just silly and accomplishes little.

You are correct, one should continue to throw money at companies that have shown time and time again that they are willing to throw away all the effort you put into a game if there is any chance they could make an extra dime.  It is absolutely crazy to stop buying Sony TV's simply becuase the last three blew up in less than a year.  It also accomplishes little as you pointed out.  Myself and several friends not purchasing Neverwinter when it comes out due to the poor quality of Cryptic games is sure to be an isolated incident.  I am positive that no one else in the world feels the same way and will not be giving Cryptic another dime of their money. 

To the OP, I will personally not purchase another product from Cryptic or SOE.  Cryptic has shown they make poor quality games that lack content while SOE has shown me twice that they value a hypothetical new sub base over their existing sub base.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

after what they have done to the Diablo franchise, Blizzard

D3 is absolutly sickening, vomitive, a total farce, a slap in the face of all the fans that have been supporting Blizzard for over 12 years

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

2) You said it yourself. It is a shame you are missing out on a game you called awesome. And for what? Blacklisting companies is just silly and accomplishes little.

You are correct, one should continue to throw money at companies that have shown time and time again that they are willing to throw away all the effort you put into a game if there is any chance they could make an extra dime.  It is absolutely crazy to stop buying Sony TV's simply becuase the last three blew up in less than a year.  It also accomplishes little as you pointed out.  Myself and several friends not purchasing Neverwinter when it comes out due to the poor quality of Cryptic games is sure to be an isolated incident.  I am positive that no one else in the world feels the same way and will not be giving Cryptic another dime of their money. 

You have a reading comprehension problem. No one says pay for inferior products. But it is silly NOT to consider all the products.

Who says throwing money at companies. If  game is AWESOME, it is not throwing money at a comany. It is paying for good value. There is no reason not to. As far as Neverwinter is concerned, who knows what is the quality? It is stupid to rule it out NOW. I obviously will not buy if it has bad reviews. But rule it out just because Cryptic made it? It is illogical.

And when i am shopping for TV, there is no reason not to look at SONY tv. Surely they are likely to lose out to SAMSUNG or LG, but there is no reason to blacklist the company and not even consider it.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Companies who demand a monthly fee and/or box price plus offer an ingame shop.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

rockstar

gta4 was the worst port to pc in history, so should have pirated it.

My blog: image

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Consensus

rockstar

gta4 was the worst port to pc in history, so should have pirated it.

I'm not a huge fan of rockstar games (although red dead was pretty awesome) but what was the issue with the PC version? It played fine on my machine, but granted I played it with a 360 controller on my PC. Although I play most games of that nature with a controller.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Bioware and to a somewhat lesser extent SOE

• mufasymufasy Member Posts: 10

EA - on every game for mediocre dumb products and for destroying Warhammer Online

Bioware - with over 200$mil budget they managed to make a 10$ mil mmo...

Sony - but i am interested in Planet Side 2 so we will see..

Actifail/Blizzard - never again  (DRM Online hahaha, no ty)

Ubisoft - for destroying so many  good franchises (Silent Hunter, HOMM) + DRM

So bassicly, most of the triple AAA developers.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.
    FMMOS

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

EA and anything with EAs name on it (TSW)

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

EA and Blizzard

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460

My list is small;

I will never buy anything from $OE ever again and at one point I really wanted to play Pirates of the Burning Sea until I found out $OE got involed so I drop that want pretty fast.  Thankfully that game flopped from what it was supposed to be and I don't feel bad for not playing it.  $OE will forever be in my black list though, especially $medly, for what they did to us with the Original form of SWG and to make matters worse was how they treated us after we complained.  They through away a customer base in hopes of attracting another one (aka the WoW crowd).  They saw the big numbers WoW was getting and they wanted in that action so they made the CU and NGE in hopes of bringing in that piece of the pie; they just didn't want the orinial customer base and we of course obliged and left them alone to suffer without us.

EA for sure now.  I never had anything against them before they bought BioWare.  I used to be a huged BioWare fan until they got taken by EA, ever since then BioWare quality has gone to shit.  ME2 was an anomoly because from what I understand they had most of the finshed or already started before being acquired by EA and after that they have put out subpar quality products.  When I look back at my game library the only other game I have from EA is Crysis 1 & 2 so at least I'm not missing out on any other quality games that I care to play.

Funcom is not on my list, but I watch it games with caution before I play them.  I didn't play AOC but I followed it for a while and at the last minute decided not to play it and glad I didn't after reading all the bad reviews and how they treated their customers.

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!