Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom, Racism?, and Ragnar Says

After beta testing on both OB and CB for weeks, gotta say it: interesting stories, themes, and some visuals. Spooky noises that go bump in the night set a goose bump experience.

I usually come on and just read lots of posts, but this time? I had to get over it and make one.

But, the white elephant in the room is not just the awful character creator. Everybody knows that. And it will be until after release so says Ragnar in reddit.

The big ole white elephant was that wow, they linked up skin tones to faces, across ethnic lines even. The way it is, there are two very stereotyped "African" faces that go from dark to darkest. These two faces have big, flat noses and protuding lips.

There then two light skinned white faces, and two slighter darker white faces. Two sliders go from pale to very tan, I mean like sun worship lizard tan. The other two are paler still. Caucasion and Latino? Not sure.

Then 2 "Asian" faces with, ready? Yellow skin tones.

Not sure why they did this. Why not just throw up a bunch of heads and faces with a ton of looks and one set of wide ranging skins?

Where are all the ethnic faces in-between? And do all Asian faces and African faces look alike? No. Come on, "Asia' is a huge place. Two yellow-skinned faces? Just ask any Korean, Japanese, Chinese or Tibetan if they look alike. Or go ask across the huge continent of Africa? Two types that look alike? Naw. Just don't do it man.

Those ethnic faces? Get no ethnic hairstyles. No curls, braids or dreds of any kind available. Just short and straight. Ok, the mohawk and bald females are cool, but come on.

Don't do this, Ragnar. For making it easy to match up "type" and color? Really? Where you been? The browning of the world is at hand. We are all mixed up. Your game's got the world as its playpen. Don't try to fix it so your players only put certain colored babies in there according to what you think they look like. Variety, Rag, variety.

Somebody said, no, they are just showing that differenct "races" look different like it is for real. Got news for you, last I looked, all one race--the human one in this game. Ethnic looks being pre-determined not cool.  

Comments

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

If you are offended by the black faces and asian faces then you should also be offended by the white guy faces.

The hair options are pathetic they don't suit any of the races at all.

The character creator is lacking you can make 3 characters, generic white guy, generic black guy and generic asian guy.

I wouldn't call it racist, I would call it lazy.

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

its a video game.......

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I'm no fan of the game, but I hate needless drama posts that exist to stir up negative sensationalist vibes about a game with emotive words like 'racism' just pre launch even more.

And this as a first post?

As you say, not cool.

• alientantraalientantra Member Posts: 9

Agreed. None of the faces look good, you got that right. Like falling into a bad movie sometimes with 80s disco clothes.

I think they dissed us all lol.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Oh my, what will we find to complain about next ? image

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

[mod edit]

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

As long as they don´t make certain characters better it ain´t really racism.

Don´t be silly, mixing up stuff like this with real racism that is an actual problem.

Originally posted by Vesavius

I'm no fan of the game, but I hate needless drama posts that exist to stir up negative sensationalist vibes about a game with emotive words like 'racism' just pre launch even more.

And this as a first post?

As you say, not cool.

Not going to say sorry for this one. I read about five gaming websites regular as part of my job. I don't post. But when I tried to go make a guy to review in this one? I actually got shocked that a game today would do this. This issue bad enough that I decided to make a post. Yeah, my first. But to me it counts. And it's racism? How else do you say this dude? Some words flame up, but based on what I saw, it deserves some flaming up.

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

does anyone really care other than the OP? I mean everyone knows the CC is pretty bad right now and they have said a thousand times that there would be more later. I'm just happy that CC seems to be the primary issue with this MMO. I played open beta weekend and had a pretty good time with the game. I guess next we'll hear about how the zombies are all republicians and hog all the dead bodies for themselves and they should have more liberal zombies that will share their dead body meals with everyone? :)

Peace

Lascer

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Are you of some 'ehnicity' in the real ife that is supposedly under-represented in game?  Or do you just get offended for other people?  Nice first post btw, about racism (which has no basis btw).  If we are getting offended about stuff, your post is actually offensive.  Browning?  Yellow?  You see what you want to see. 

As far as the character creator, yeah it's not the greatest.  But whatever 'color', as you put it, of people that are put in game wasn't something I even noticed.  Then again I don't get offeded for other people and cause drama by posting baseless threads about serious subjects that have no place in video games.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

[mod edit]

As it is from a 1st poster, I'd go with the latter, just looking to stir up drama.

CC is not good at this point, freely acknowledged by Funcom and on the list of things to improve on.

Not seeing any overt racism here.

Except maybe by the OP who seems to be implying that certain facial characteristics are perhaps undesireable?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Hehe, as long as we dont have any other nitpicky things to talk, TSW seems to be an outstanding game.

Hodor!

Why is it if you got something about a game that seriously upsets you, and it is touchy, we can't talk about it? We gotta stay safe in what we say? I see racism. I'm a mixed race man. I get in there and the first face I see is some jacked up combo of skin and face type. It jumped out at me, in a bad way.

Games are my thing, I see something like this I say it. Is this not where we are supposed to say it? Or something like this let's just not talk about cause its controversial? Then why discuss anything but easy stuff.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Atleast I was able to give my character a proper studio tan.

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

There is already enough biggotry on the internet. What you are doing is just adding gas to the fire, why? As others already said that character creator wasn't kind to any specific race but even if it was - there is no reason to start throwing rasist conspiracy theories because  I am pretty sure that Funcom's schedule didn't look like this:

-Make character creator.

- Add a ton of awesome models for white people.

- Add 2 butt ugly asian and black faces.

So please next time do us all favor and keep your desire to broadcast that you have been somehow discriminated against by big bad world to yourself.

Originally posted by Urza123

There is already enough biggotry on the internet. What you are doing is just adding gas to the fire, why? As others already said that character creator wasn't kind to any specific race but even if it was - there is no reason to start throwing rasist conspiracy theories because  I am pretty sure that Funcom's schedule didn't look like this:

-Make character creator.

So please next time do us all favor and keep your desire to broadcast that you have been somehow discriminated against by big bad world to yourself.

I knew I wouldn't say it right. Not saying all the awesome is for white people. Was trying to say, why give a game 2 black heards, 2 asian heads, 2 caucasion, and 2 latino? Why not a bunch of heads and a bunch of skin colors for mix and match?

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

I dont know why, but this reminds me on that Blizzcon LGBT affair back in the days...

Silly people image

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• kiiixkiiix Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

If you are offended by the black faces and asian faces then you should also be offended by the white guy faces.

The hair options are pathetic they don't suit any of the races at all.

The character creator is lacking you can make 3 characters, generic white guy, generic black guy and generic asian guy.

I wouldn't call it racist, I would call it lazy.

I could not have said it better my self

That one in a million Anime loving,Workout crazy, Gamer.
    KiX0@Steam/Raptr

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by alientantra

-Make character creator.

I knew I wouldn't say it right. Not saying all the awesome is for white people. Was trying to say, why give a game 2 black heards, 2 asian heads, 2 caucasion, and 2 latino? Why not a bunch of heads and a bunch of skin colors for mix and match?

What you're complaining about is stereotyping, not racism. It's a fine line, but the difference is significant.

Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by alientantra

-Make character creator.

What you're complaining about is stereotyping, not racism. It's a fine line, but the difference is significant.

Ok, then stereotyping, I guess? I guess racism is such a loaded word we can't use it anymore to mean what I meant. Sorry. I meant it like, ok, they are saying here is what we think black folks look like and they get these looks, these latinos get this one. And why would they think is ok to pre-determine that in a new mmo? 30 years ago maybe. To make it easy to make a racial type? I am still confused and not offended by it, but damn confused.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The first two black characters you meet in game are.

1 the head of the templars who is black and British

2 a scientist who is voiced by Tim russ

I don't see any racial stereotyping there, If anything that's anti stereotyping.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    The first two black characters you meet in game are.

1 the head of the templars who is black and British

2 a scientist who is voiced by Tim russ

I don't see any racial stereotyping there, If anything that's anti stereotyping.

I mean in the creator, not in the game itself. In the LOOKS we can make. Why draw lines in the sand for your players? It just jumped out at me and wondered why would they put the creator together across ethnic types like that?

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Out of every word to describe the lacking CC, racist never entered my mind.

• WildNatureWildNature Member Posts: 51

I for one approve of this practice as it helps us to even more remain in our faction.

* Good, honorable, gamers will continue to pay the bills so freeloaders can enjoy the game.
    * Sandboxers and Carebears are 2 sides to the same coin.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

I live in Asia and I can tell you Asians are as racist as anyone else. OP, it's nice that you live in a society where racism is frowned upon, but most of the world is very racist, based on my travels  and living/working experiences on several continents. 

Just saying. 

It's not a justification for racism, but it's interesting that mainly Europeans and North Americans get criticized for being racist. It may be because of the history of different race slavery, but I guess this is not the space to get into that.

There are so many (in my opinion) over-the-top stereotypes of white and black people here in the Asian country where I live, it's not even questioned. I don't even feel offended, because the stereotypes of my "race" are so absurd -- just as any stereotypes are to the senstive and astute mind.