Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Closed Beta NDA Lifts

2»

Comments

• anwaranwar Member UncommonPosts: 108

Like-- different

excellent puzzle quests

kinda like the abilities lay out

think I would like combat if I had had more time to really learn it

Dislike--extremely ugly, dark, dreary.... no eye candy whatsoever

some quests depend on someone else to reactivate, you can sit in an area for hours and not compleat

some quests have no indicator, not enough info

You can't delete a non-working quest

couldn't really figure out the tradeskill..if that really was a tradeskill

very poor descriptions on some abilities, causing you to made bad choices

healing abilities that you couldnt use on self in combat but didn't say so when choosing weapons

Overall---eventually will be a good MMO, right now it's nowhere near worth the money they are charging

• ChrisP12934ChrisP12934 Member Posts: 2

This game (for me) was like 2 different games mashed together.  

Good -

The UI is absolutely gorgeous (one of the best I've seen, except for the character menu.  I miss seeing my char when I put on belts, rings, etc.)

Scenery looks good

Nice creep factor

Immersive story line

Nice puzzle component to some of the quests

Bad

Character customization is sorely lacking compared to other games out there

Appearance of NPCs is poor using the same basic models with a few tweaks

Movement is unrealistic

Combat is 'stiff'

Too many kill 10 rats quests

Overall -

With the exception of the UI, it reminds me of a PS2 game.  As a f2p or b2p, I would be all over this, for a $15/mo subscription, not a snowball's chance.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Played a few hours this week-end but did not PvP.

• Graphics are really gorgeous. It's fluid with real shadows and >DX9 features! You cry when you go back to SWTOR.
    • Some animations are great some really need improvements.
    • Would have appreciated more various character faces as they are all on the same mold.
    • I really like the deck system but won't be easy for most casuals so it looks like it has some nice longevity tied to it.
    • Tested the crafting a bit and well, seems the crafters will be happy as it's more complex than say... wow and clones.
    • Love the puzzles it's refreshing to have something else to do than bash monsters from time to time.

As a SWTOR player I found the story really nice. Some of the dialogs feels a bit off, mosty due to the fact your character don't speak (monologues) but it really add the the athmosphere. I bought it contrary to TOR in which the story feels bland.

BTW the character animations during the custcene shines really well. If not already, after that you'll meh at SWTOR cutscene especially due to the hands gestures and characters being static.

I found the UI half backed. Some nice layout and sleek design but it's not convenient.

• You wish you could resize and move individually all the frames.
    • Even with large fonts in 1900 * 1200 on  27" monitor I had a hard time reading quests texts and lore pop up.
    • Playing this game without a mouse look toggle is a pain. I used autohotkey to enable it and it improved my game play experience by 100%.
    • The quest UI is clunky and it's painful
    • I don't like the character doll or should I say the lack of it.
    • In the deck tree there's no indication of how much points you have to spend? (At least I did not see any)
    • Also the UI for equipping / seeing / buying clothes is really bad: too many menu to select drop down, scroll down and clicks involved

Game feels like AoC PvE wise. Playing a second character will get boring very fast and you'll skip cutsenes a lot as already seen, unelss you love Tortage.

PvE wise: run the game through one charcter then shelve it until more content is offered.

I see how this game would have shined with a FPS system.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Been testing for 6 weeks or so.

The pvp is pretty good, not as good as older games like daoc and planetside, but.... miles better than most current mmos e.g. wow, aion, rift, swtor.

Not as good as WvW, but.... perhaps can be when they slide the second warzone in. It already has the advantage of real rivalry and solid incentive to keep holding the facilities. But gw2 beats it due to scale and better siege mechanics.

Main problem with pvp, its a bit to fast, taking a facility is too easy, ttk is a little to short.

But make no mistake the game has a good pvp component. It's not some panacea of pve heaven for extra start people / pvp hell as some more annoying elements of the tsw community like to project.

Oh another good thing gear is gear, none of this wow style separate item sets bollox.

See I dont think a game like TSW has a good PVP component....What makes PVP work for me is that I dont like the other side.......In a game like WOW, if Im playing a human I know my race doesn't like orcs.......In TSW I cant tell a templar from an illuminati from a dragon so I have zero immersion there......ALso the combat and animations are awful.

• Taffy2CTaffy2C Member UncommonPosts: 9

FYI, story quests cannot be delted, but regular quests can be removed from the list. Go to another quest giver, have that broken quest up and accept that new quest. Before you accept it, you'll get a message on your screen saying that your present quest will be replaced.

And that broken quest, if normal, is gone.

For the post above, you can tell the templar from the illuminati from a dragon by the symbol that is beside their name in game. This has been introduced.

Remember, they're still fixing things. No, I'm not a fan of Funcom so waiting to see what happens.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

I tested the game, I agree with allot of posts here, no real awsome effect or punk appeal, pvp was ok,  the voice acting was good, the story was good. I think overall the game is ok, for me, I might play it in the future, but no plans to be there at launch.

I think the game will find a niche to play it, it is not going to set the mmo world on fire, I think folks tired of the sword and board fantasy games might find a home here, and being a skill based game is a little different.

One problem I have with all theme park games these days is your toon never feels like it lives in the world, you just play through it, I wish these companies would look into ways to add diveristy to these games, maybe some sandbox elements, something.. I dunno..

I know when the game goes live the forums will be a horrible place like all new games, /sigh

I wish them good luck..

• VantraxVantrax Member Posts: 3

Note, most of those testers commenting played the weekend tests. Client is a bit different than the close beta.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by Vantrax

Note, most of those testers commenting played the weekend tests. Client is a bit different than the close beta.

Why would it be different with launch just a few more days away, seems like they would want to see how Client worked, or might know there may be problems at launch and do not have time to fix.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by wgc01

I tested the game, I agree with allot of posts here, no real awsome effect or punk appeal, pvp was ok,  the voice acting was good, the story was good. I think overall the game is ok, for me, I might play it in the future, but no plans to be there at launch.

I think the game will find a niche to play it, it is not going to set the mmo world on fire, I think folks tired of the sword and board fantasy games might find a home here, and being a skill based game is a little different.

One problem I have with all theme park games these days is your toon never feels like it lives in the world, you just play through it, I wish these companies would look into ways to add diveristy to these games, maybe some sandbox elements, something.. I dunno..

I know when the game goes live the forums will be a horrible place like all new games, /sigh

I wish them good luck..

Totally agree with that, I will be playing TSW but I am really waiting on a game that feels like and actual world, I dunno when another game is going to actually do this but I look forward to it. 

I loved having my house on Lok in SWG and our own shuttleport/vendors, I liked that the matrix online was in a big city that felt like it could be real, over the years I have been playing the games have moved away from your character living in the world to more of a you are passing through the world scenario and thats a crap change for me.

I think thats one of the reasons I am enjoying DayZ, even just walking around it for hours, I feel like this is my world and I am surviving it I don't feel like I am just passing through and trying to "complete" some sort of task and then leave.