Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Tales of a Gamer

Comments

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

I don't love it or hate it, didn't find it very entertaining though. I'd probably give the next one a look.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

I do agree with Pokket's point about Wallmart customers.  They are sub human.  Going to a wallmart is like going to the zoo when you look at the people there.  I have always felt sorry for the poor Wallmart employees that have to put up with these customers.

That being said I thought her 1st biography of an addicted gamer article went over better than this one.  I think as game players or MMO players many of us can see ourselves in that article and relate to it.  This article IMO contained to many meaningless details which prevented at least me from being drawn in and feeling part of the story.  If she is going to continue wrting articles like this it is going to be tough to keep it fresh and humerous. She might be better off including more  in game details.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Although this is better than a lot of things I've read on the web, there's definitely room for improvement. Right now it seems a bit incongrous to what you would expect to find on this website. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the content would have to be much improved to adjust the fit.

In my opinion this particular piece is salvageable with a rewrite. My suggestions would be to take out the timetamps and make it a real story. Then you need to add some sort of conflict or hook to make it worth reading. A day to day journal is only interesting if something interesting happens. Right now there's nothing that grabs the reader and invests them. This could be a great new feature on the site if it's tweaked the right way.

Anyway, good luck on that.

On an unrelated note, what ever happened to Coyote?

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Since I didn't get into seriously playing MMOs until later in life, after my chosen profession had held me down and beat self discipline into my head with a great big mallet, I personally find Pokket's article fascinating. It gives me quite a bit of insight into what makes some of my younger gaming friends tick. And goes quite a long way in explaining some of the bizzare drama meltdowns I've seen in various guilds and games.

I've played with many online gamers who seem to take their hobby to the level of obsession, I feel this artlcle goes quite a ways into fleshing out the back story of just why they may behave in the manner that they do.

I have to say that while i can see why this article may not be everyone's cup of tea, I'm a bit puzzled by the level of hostility in the replies from some of the posters. I wonder if her unflattering description of life as a gaming junkie hits a wee bit to close to home for those people.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

For a light hearted insight into gaming culture I found this very amusing.

It was obviously meant to be connectable and for me it certainly took me back to my 6th form days (High school for you Americans) where gaming nearly ruined my A-Levels!

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

The customers don't suck. 

When it starts to be the case that your heart gets filled with hate for every person that walks through the door, it's because your job sucks. You get treated like crap, paid like crap and then every moron that walks in has to ask YOU where the televisions are. THEY ARE RIGHT FRICKING OVER THERE. CAN YOU NOT SEE THEM?.

No they can't, wouldn't have asked if they could.  These poor shlubs just want to buy a dvd player for their kids. They don't spend 38 hours a week there. (notice how I said 38 because neither you nor your associates can get the 40 hours a week required to be full time and get the benefits you'd be entitled to? Yeah, your job sucks.) 

Get your hate in the right place, It actually makes crappy jobs better if you give the suckers a chance to let you enjoy them.

Yes, there are terrible people who are just complete bastards and you should hate them. And you know what? That your managers wont stick up for you and toss these dicks out of the store is another reason your job sucks.

• jfz133jfz133 Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Since I didn't get into seriously playing MMOs until later in life, after my chosen profession had held me down and beat self discipline into my head with a great big mallet, I personally find Pokket's article fascinating. It gives me quite a bit of insight into what makes some of my younger gaming friends tick. And goes quite a long way in explaining some of the bizzare drama meltdowns I've seen in various guilds and games.

I've played with many online gamers who seem to take their hobby to the level of obsession, I feel this artlcle goes quite a ways into fleshing out the back story of just why they may behave in the manner that they do.

I have to say that while i can see why this article may not be everyone's cup of tea, I'm a bit puzzled by the level of hostility in the replies from some of the posters. I wonder if her unflattering description of life as a gaming junkie hits a wee bit to close to home for those people.

Haters gotta hate. If you notice from video to video and article to article, it's always the same posters saying they will never watch/read anything from her again. Yet they're always the first to leave comments. On the Internet these days, you know someone is successful by the amount of flames they get.

• AemiAemi Member Posts: 148

Enjoying the column, keep writing Pokky

• jfz133jfz133 Member Posts: 15

You guys ask about more in-game stuff. This is more about how gaming shaped the person the story is following, less about the actual games.

It is not as fictionnal as you guys think. She adapted the events to reflect today's life, but at the core, it's how it was when she was in hs/college. And it's as it was when I was in hs/college 10-15 years ago. Even tho we didn't have MMOs back then, the games we played were still addicting and keeping us up at night. Even more than today's games most of the time.

We didn't have Wal-mart then, but we still had crappy jobs in crappy stores and fast food joints. Nothing has changed.

• MostWiseMostWise Member Posts: 10

Good stuff. Laughed at the "3:34 a.m. Damn it." exclamation. So typical of my earlier gaming days.

And now. Damn it.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Hahah, Oh Hotpokket. Did you ever see the movie Second Skin? It was made by a few really bright, young producers and showed WoW addiction at its finest. I am still friends with Dan Bustard who was one of the subjects interviewed for the movie. I wrote a long set of blogs about video game addiction, which is technically classed as "chronic video game overuse." 

There is a lot of info out there about the addiction part of it, but not nearly as much as recovery part.

Good read, keep it up. I am interested.

And one more thing, take a look at www.wowdetox.com, some of confessions are riveting.

• NocturnneNocturnne Member Posts: 1

Pokket, keep writing :)

I just hope you still don't work at Walmart - do you?

• DemenshaDemensha Member UncommonPosts: 76

Funny stuff!! Keep it coming.

• Pretender00Pretender00 Member Posts: 84

If she was fat and ugly in real life would you still be loving her writing?  

• nattiusnattius Member Posts: 22
    As soon as I read it had nothing but a thin layer of truth to it I stopped reading. its a sorry state of affairs when the trolling in the comments is the best part of the article
  • kiiixkiiix Member Posts: 93

First off: People please for god sake! Having a negative og questionable opinion on something Does Not Mean your a hater or that you hate whatever is discussed. Now with that said, let me get back on topic:

I personally cant see the point in the article, it is rather pointless and to be honest not all that interessting. Sorry Pokket but i think stuff like this belongs in a Vlog or something.

That one in a million Anime loving,Workout crazy, Gamer.
    KiX0@Steam/Raptr

• arcwestarcwest Member Posts: 61

what is the point of this? This is just some random stuff that happened to some random person. i Kept reading hoping there was a point.

Stuff like this is why i don't read twiter or blogspot.

Please no more MMORPG, please. I come here for gaming news.

Back to massively i guess...

• BallantinBallantin Member Posts: 2

I will not talk about her life, from the moment i read "this is part real and part fiction", it laks interest for me. If i want fiction, there is plenty of it in books, the net, TV, Games... so please if you talk about your life, do it really, and do not add any fiction.

About the quality of the blog, widely discussed here, i dont think it is bad or poor.  Of course can be better, and despite some of the comments made before me are crappy critzism, some are really great and aiming to help you improve.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

Creative writing needs a point, excitement and something to grab reader's attention.

This has none of the above. It's an excrept from an imaginary, mediocre, cynical life of a somewhat annoying and self-righteous protagonist. This piece doesn't even classify as a rant, unfortunately.

Some people have a talent for original and interesting stories, some don't. But like Steve Jobs said before he died: "keep seeking, don't give up", i.e. keep looking for your other talents, because writing is clearly not one of them^^

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by lalartu

Creative writing needs a point, excitement and something to grab reader's attention.

This has none of the above. It's an excrept from an imaginary, mediocre, cynical life of a somewhat annoying and self-righteous protagonist. This piece doesn't even classify as a rant, unfortunately.

Some people have a talent for original and interesting stories, some don't. But like Steve Jobs said before he died: "keep seeking, don't give up", i.e. keep looking for your other talents, because writing is clearly not one of them^^

Agreed

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by jeeshadow

Nice Blog Pockett, :)

....I do hope you've learned by now to NOT read the comments below your work.  :D

I disagree. In this type of proffession you have to develop a thick skin, and, even though it sucks, taking the negative reviews with the positives is only going to make you a better writer.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Two columns, two strikes. I didn't come here to read fiction.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by rygard49

....I do hope you've learned by now to NOT read the comments below your work.  :D

I disagree. In this type of proffession you have to develop a thick skin, and, even though it sucks, taking the negative reviews with the positives is only going to make you a better writer.

I actually agree with this. However there is a difference between crtiticism and predudical abuse. It seems some "crtitics" here don't see a difference. And also seem to be judging her writing based on who is doing the writing and not its substance.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

There is no such word as 'addicting'.The correct word is addictive.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by rygard49

I actually agree with this. However there is a difference between crtiticism and predudical abuse. It seems some "crtitics" here don't see a difference. And also seem to be judging her writing based on who is doing the writing and not its substance.

There was substance in this blog??  I guess I don't get it, that is the second time now. So much of it was just ramblings and lacked a clear direction of what Pokket was trying to get across. Just my two coppers worth.