Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should EVE go free to play? (think about it)

Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

Remember what it did for LOTRO? EQ2? I can't speak for EQ2...but LOTRO was doing rather good for subscribers. It went free to play and the popularity sky rocketed AND Turbine started earning a lot more money.

A lesser example is Saga of Ryzom. It is a sandbox MMO, but more PvE based. It was dead. Granted, the game still hasn't really taken off...but free to play really boosted the activity in the game. Not only that, but the community is still great as well.

What if EVE was free to play? It already is for people with a lot of ISK...but what if it was like that for EVERYONE? They can still charge a monthly fee for added bonuses to people who pay. People could pay others with ISK to buy things in a VANITY cash shop. Don't go pay to win of course, we all saw what happened with Allods.

EVE would not just be a niche MMO, but the people playing AND the subscriber count would sky rocket. Why should only senior players get to play for free, anyway? That just makes it where the best and richest players remain the 1% and everyone else has to scrounge up or try to catch up to them. And CCP could have a cash shop where there are vanity items or small bonuses, to entice people to pay. Maybe free players have limits or "debuffs" so to speak, so they don't have everything a pay to play player does.

Anyway, before flaming...and I know EVE is doing rather well...but think how much better it could do.

Comments

• bomber009bomber009 Member Posts: 21

I don't think it would work well for EVE to be free to play.  I really don't believe the monthly fee is what limits the number of people hat play eve that much of course it does to a degree.  But in general EVE only appeals to a very small percentage of people.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

No way.

It's one of the *few* games out there where the barrier to entry prevents total abuse. If it was F2P, you'd see a LOT more multiboxers fleeting by themsevles. I mean people still do it atm, but at 15$ a month per account, well, it's more in the realm of 'pathetic', rather than 'smart'.

I can probably name off a dozen things that free accounts could do that would absolutely ruin the game. If you ever played it, then you can too, so I won't even bother.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by GTwander

No way.

It's one of the *few* games out there where the barrier to entry prevents total abuse. If it was F2P, you'd see a LOT more multiboxers fleeting by themsevles. I mean people still do it atm, but at 15$ a month per account, well, it's more in the realm of 'pathetic', rather than 'smart'.

I can probably name off a dozen things that free accounts could do that would absolutely ruin the game. If you ever played it, then you can too, so I won't even bother.

Granted, you did say a lot more and not everyone. But while I was trying EVE out for a few months, I met TONS of people that had 2+ accounts...it seemed really common. So, I doubt it would make that big of a difference.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Isasis

Remember what it did for LOTRO? EQ2? I can't speak for EQ2...but LOTRO was doing rather good for subscribers. It went free to play and the popularity sky rocketed AND Turbine started earning a lot more money.

A lesser example is Saga of Ryzom. It is a sandbox MMO, but more PvE based. It was dead. Granted, the game still hasn't really taken off...but free to play really boosted the activity in the game. Not only that, but the community is still great as well.

What if EVE was free to play? It already is for people with a lot of ISK...but what if it was like that for EVERYONE? They can still charge a monthly fee for added bonuses to people who pay. People could pay others with ISK to buy things in a VANITY cash shop. Don't go pay to win of course, we all saw what happened with Allods.

EVE would not just be a niche MMO, but the people playing AND the subscriber count would sky rocket. Why should only senior players get to play for free, anyway? That just makes it where the best and richest players remain the 1% and everyone else has to scrounge up or try to catch up to them. And CCP could have a cash shop where there are vanity items or small bonuses, to entice people to pay. Maybe free players have limits or "debuffs" so to speak, so they don't have everything a pay to play player does.

Anyway, before flaming...and I know EVE is doing rather well...but think how much better it could do.

Ancient law:  Don't fix that which is not broken.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

EVE doesn't need more subscribers.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

It doesn't take being a veteran player to be able to play for free.  It takes being an intelligent player.

Just because you've got a 6 year old account doesn't automatically mean you have the isk to afford plex.  I managed it in under 3 months with a new account.  I also earn enough isk in under a week with my "veteran" account to pay for plex through intelligent manufacturing and smart market sales.

But then I also pay for a year sub outright for both of my accounts.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by unclemo

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Never, 1. If your wealthy you can buy game time with ingame currency, 2. F2P would mean more inexperienced pilots and overall decrease the level of quality and presentation in the game world.  EVE has a clear audience, and CCP is devoted to them.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by GTwander

No way.

Granted, you did say a lot more and not everyone. But while I was trying EVE out for a few months, I met TONS of people that had 2+ accounts...it seemed really common. So, I doubt it would make that big of a difference.

It would.

Imagine Goodsquad if a mandate went out that "now everyone can have alt accounts, so all of you WILL, and take them to suicide bomb people at Jita".

Free accounts ruined Wurm Online a handful of times when 4chan made events to come in and trash the place. They had to make a trial server just to ward it off from the main populace, and then when they removed the server, they had to adapt a ton of rulesets to free characters to prevent grief (and they still can do a lot as is).

What amount of revisions is EVE gonna have to do to prevent abuse of free accounts?

The fact of the matter is; subscriptions work when there HAS TO BE a barrier to entry in order to prevent total abuse. This only happens in games where the ruleset allows it - MO, DF, EVE, etc

Otherwise, I'd be in your camp.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• erkinbabaerkinbaba Member UncommonPosts: 79

What if EVE was free to play? It already is for people with a lot of ISK

Oh no, not that, not ISK. Its lots of patience, commitment, team play

but what if it was like that for EVERYONE?

Well, its not.

They can still charge a monthly fee for added bonuses to people who pay. People could pay others with ISK to buy things in a VANITY cash shop. Don't go pay to win of course, we all saw what happened with Allods.

EVE would not just be a niche MMO, but the people playing AND the subscriber count would sky rocket. Why should only senior players get to play for free, anyway?

See above. And not everyone has that nerve and time to play EvE. Senior players plays it free ( btw, no one plays EvE for free--> ) because they earn it . EvE is not just a game, for some its business (thats why I quit), for some its an endless entertainment.

That just makes it where the best and richest players remain the 1% and everyone else has to scrounge up or try to catch up to them.

You cant catch up anyone in EvE and you dont have to ! Try to search & learn more about EvE.

And CCP could have a cash shop where there are vanity items or small bonuses, to entice people to pay.

People are paying already if they want to. Everything in EvE, every ship/weapon/modul/whatever are produced by players. You want one, you pay for it. You really think that CCP need a cash shop ? Again, learn more about EvE !

Maybe free players have limits or "debuffs" so to speak, so they don't have everything a pay to play player does.

That doesn't work that way. I really dont want to loose my stuff to "debuffed freebies" gang. I really work hard for my inventory, thats EvE !

EvE is doing well, dont worry :)

• GalaxoGalaxo Member UncommonPosts: 389

No

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Galaxo

No

Definitely not, and the guy really needs to research the game before proposing something so ludicrous.. image

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

No bloody fucking way in hell.

Do you have any idea at all what kind of carnage the smart players could do with the ability to create unlimited free alternate accounts? Have you not heard about Goonswarm/Something Aweful and their absolute love for picking apart loopholes in games? The suicide ganking alone that would result from making it free to play would be utterly catastrophic. A brand new alternate character funded by a veteran main can become a very effective suicide ganker in less than a week.

There's also the fact that paid subscriptions = RELIABLE income forecasts. A company that has a fully reliable, predictable income stream is able to plan out their operations much more efficiently. The income rates for free-to-play games are completely UNreliable, utterly up to the whims of the players if they feel like buying something, not to mention the fact that in order to get customers to buy something from a cash shop it needs a tangible benefit in terms of their combat abilities, so you also now have pay to win which is always a bad thing. Without reliable income, support/development staff drop and the overall quality of the game decreases over time, which makes more people leave and therefore less people buy stuff from the shop, more staff get fired, etc...downward spiral of doom.

OP, you have just made a suggestion that would completely and permanently destroy Eve Online. The day that Eve Online goes free to play is the day that I quit it, and I'd guess that at least half the current veteran player base would too.

Where's the any key?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

F2P evangalists are now pushing for successful games to adopt the model... was gonna come I guess. 

Why do you care if CCP have a ton of extra players in this game? As you say it is doing rather well as is. How would it benefit you? If you are only pushing the idea because you are too cheap to buy a client for a game you would enjoy, then... well... I can only look at you and shake my head, becuase you obviously just don't get it.

If a game is worth your time then it is worth your money. If you think it is 'too expensive' to buy a client or sub then it probably, as a game, is not worth your time.

EvE is fine as is, it isn't failing and therefore dosen't require F2P.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Nobody that plays EVE wants F2P or the unwashed masses that it will bring. It all leads to dumbing down the game.

EVE is not hurting and in no way needs your input.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

Where did all the trolls come from?

I know EVE has locked down General Discussion for people but seriously....

Anyhow.. Free to play model works for theme park mmo's because you can sell bits off (quests, areas etc) or leveling boosts or P2W items.

EVE is a sandbox that means there is nothing to parcel off other than things like standings or boosts. Boosts can and will destroy the game. This is what the 'jita riots' were all about.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

EVE has a perfectly good F2P option already. You accept a moderate penalty on your account's monthly income and you get to play for free, with exactly the same access to the game as someone who subscribes. How much better do you want it?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Generally speaking, making radical alterations to a successful MMO only serves to anger and drive off the core customer base, (and EVE fans are capable of great anger) so no, F2P is not a viable option in this case.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by IsasisWhat if EVE was free to play? It already is for people with a lot of ISK...but what if it was like that for EVERYONE?

PLEX does not make the game F2P.

If you do not understand how PLEX system work, you are lacking fundamental game knowledge and therefore you are not enlightened to make proposals regarding payment model.

EVE is very complex but yet fragile and vulnerable. Problem isn't whether to go with F2P or not, problem is how.

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116

The CCP management will strongly disagree.

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Generally speaking, making radical alterations to a successful MMO only serves to anger and drive off the core customer base, (and EVE fans are capable of great anger) so no, F2P is not a viable option in this case.

Does this include Miners Kyleran, if it does then if not F2P what about a new PVE server then.

" Hail ALL Goonswarm, Hail "

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by sapheroith

The CCP management will strongly disagree.

"need" isn't a synonym for "want".

Could EVE survive indefinitely with the current number of subscribers? I say yes I'm pretty sure it could. Of course I'd be very happy to see EVE grow further, but not at the expense of what makes EVE EVE.

Unlike Elsabolts who would be happy to see EVE turned into Generic Sharded PvE MMO #247 because apparently Generic Sharded PvE MMOs #001-246 just weren't generic or shardy or PvEy enough for him.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Thinking thinking thinking........... NO.

btw. 3 / 10

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 425

coming from a 5 year player of eve NO NO NO NO NO!!!! the game has enough morons and ID10t's we dont need more it goes f2phails I and many others will unsub and be gone.....Cant afford to play work or earn isk and play for free anyway.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

No Eve should nto go f2p...

f2p is a menace on MMORPGs and should never have happened because it spawned the dreded cash shops..

Eve does not need this, its a sandbox game and not everyone will enjoy it.. the player base has ben growing slowly since release and thats fine... it does not need to be flooded by all the kids complaining how complicated the game is and that it needs to be made easier..