Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What does TSW combat really come down to? (keyboard input)

DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,546Member Uncommon

I've tried several spec characters through mid savage coast including lowbie instances/dungeons and these are my concerns:

1. The key spam factor

It seems that actual key imput for TSW combat goes something like this:

Spam builders/hinder/weaken etc... abilities ( litterally hit 1 like 5 times ... 1111111)

Spam finishers (to fire off as soon as possible (usually 333333333 or 444444444)

I do have a programmable keyboard that could do all of this with a hit of one key - but still maybe some kind of a ability queue type system would greatly help - currently TSW combat will only wear out your fingers/hand/wrists and your 1-7 keys.

2. Movement in combat - you know the game tells you to move constantly - but what does it really come down to 99% of the time is this:

circle strafe while spamming attack builders and then fire off finishers.

The game might have 500 skills, but all you'll be doing in TSW is circle strafing and abusing your 1-7 keys (the 1-4 most likely will get the most abuse)

The game has an amazing setting, the story is interesting, the questing is interesting - but combat is what you end up doing in games like TSW for more than 90% of your playtime, so that's really what matters. 

I am just wondering for how many months will masses of players be willing to circle-strafe+spam keys? I bet you Funcom is wondering the same thing.....

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by DMKano

I've tried several spec characters through mid savage coast including lowbie instances/dungeons and these are my concerns:

1. The key spam factor

Spam builders/hinder/weaken etc... abilities ( litterally hit 1 like 5 times ... 1111111)

Spam finishers (to fire off as soon as possible (usually 333333333 or 444444444)

I do have a programmable keyboard that could do all of this with a hit of one key - but still maybe some kind of a ability queue type system would greatly help - currently TSW combat will only wear out your fingers/hand/wrists and your 1-7 keys.

2. Movement in combat - you know the game tells you to move constantly - but what does it really come down to 99% of the time is this:

The game might have 500 skills, but all you'll be doing in TSW is circle strafing and abusing your 1-7 keys (the 1-4 most likely will get the most abuse)

The game has an amazing setting, the story is interesting, the questing is interesting - but combat is what you end up doing in games like TSW for more than 90% of your playtime, so that's really what matters. 

I am just wondering for how many months will masses of players be willing to circle-strafe+spam keys? I bet you Funcom is wondering the same thing.....

seems to work for the millions who love FPS games... although for me got the g700 mouse so only need ot hold down a button to spam it:) less strain on the fingers:P

hell diablo 3 has how many players? combat in that is a million times more mind numbingly repetative than anything in TSW

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PanthienPanthien ZaandamPosts: 559Member

Its kinna like most mmo's out there. THough alot of them support macros to an extent where you just have to spam 1 buttom without having to use gliders.

• rpgalonrpgalon canilPosts: 430Member

1. The key spam factor

I'm playing the CB for almost 3 months, already pre-ordered, I love the combat, maybe it is because I'm using a build that not only is good, but also fun.

your build probably sux if you think that it is all TSW is about, or you didn't even left Kingsmouth.

Originally posted by Panthien

Its kinna like most mmo's out there. THough alot of them support macros to an extent where you just have to spam 1 buttom without having to use gliders.

yea not sure what the OP wants.. a complex series of algorithmic forumlas you need to complete to fire off a series of skills? Games in general are all basic when it comes to combat and MMOs are actually a lot more complex than most single player games as many of them only use the left and right mouse button

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,546Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    seems to work for the millions who love FPS games... although for me got the g700 mouse so only need ot hold down a button to spam it:) less strain on the fingers:P

Very true - agree with you there. But herein lies the problem - TSW is not an FPS, so not sure how your typical MMORPG crowd  will tolerate such a system (some of whom are FPS fans, but most likely a minority) .

I think Funcom has a real problem on their hands, I am curious to see if they are going to dumb down combat (remember original early beta AoC combat?)

Very true - agree with you there. But herein lies the problem - TSW is not an FPS, so not sure how your typical MMORPG crowd  will tolerate such a system (some of whom are FPS fans, but most likely a minority) .

I think Funcom has a real problem on their hands, I am curious to see if they are going to dumb down combat (remember original early beta AoC combat?)

see my reply above for answer to this.. the complexity comes from knowing what skills to use in what situation.. in that case TSW holds a very large candle in that area

yea not sure what the OP wants.. a complex series of algorithmic forumlas you need to complete ot fire off a series of skills? Games in general are all basic when it comes to combat and MMOs are actually a lot more complex than most single player games as many of them only use the left and right mouse button

I am not wanting that at all - I have no idea where you came up with that from my post? 

Look at Funcom's AoC - now imagine if they took AoC's combat and improved on that?

Heck - remember DAoC's melee combat (flank positions, back, active block - all of this was there 10 years ago!)

• RhoklawRhoklaw Ft. Bliss, TXPosts: 3,492Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rpgalon

1. The key spam factor

I'm playing the CB for almost 3 months, already pre-ordered, I love the combat, maybe it is because I'm using a build that not only is good, but also fun.

your build probably sux if you think that it is all TSW is about, or you didn't even left Kingsmouth.

So what you're saying is combet developes tremendously as the game progresses? I find that hard to believe since most games revolve around combat evolution, not combat variety. So whatever you're doing in Kingsmouth or PvP is in fact exactly what you'll be doing at end game and end game PvP.... mashing Builder and than hitting Finisher.

yea not sure what the OP wants.. a complex series of algorithmic forumlas you need to complete ot fire off a series of skills? Games in general are all basic when it comes to combat and MMOs are actually a lot more complex than most single player games as many of them only use the left and right mouse button

I am not wanting that at all - I have no idea where you came up with that from my post? 

Look at Funcom's AoC - now imagine if they took AoC's combat and improved on that?

I know what you mean its the feel and how you interact with the enemies which a lot of people have problems with.. i just think it's funny when people complain over this game having builders and finishers some how dumbs down the combat as all MMOs in some form or another have you spamming a series of keys.. hell all games do this to some extent.

How about something like this:

Shoot em in the leg for a crippling shot (lets say 15% chance), then strafe around for sledge-hammer them in the back of the head to bring them down to their knees (30% chance) - then fatality head blow off with double barrel shot....or do the whole "hammer-smashed-face" - head bursting thing!

Something just a tad bit more involving you know? 

Also - where are the fatalities?

We all know that funcom devs are fully capable of making more interactive and fun combat than what we have in TSW - what the hell happened?

How about something like this:

Shoot em in the leg for a crippling shot (lets say 15% chance), then strafe around for sledge-hammer them in the back of the head to bring them down to their knees (30% chance) - then fatality head blow off with double barrel shot....or do the whole "hammer-smashed-face" - head bursting thing!

Something just a tad bit more involving you know? 

Also - where are the fatalities?

yea fatalities I miss a lot... I actually wish they went more survival horror combat style personally. Ever played alan wake? combat where there is more of a sense of danger in every fight... oh well I like the skill wheel and enjoy it enough for now.

yea not sure what the OP wants.. a complex series of algorithmic forumlas you need to complete to fire off a series of skills? Games in general are all basic when it comes to combat and MMOs are actually a lot more complex than most single player games as many of them only use the left and right mouse button

The current system already has resourse generators that compliment eachother , so it CAN be smart to not just use the one to get to 5, just like the finishers.

regardless just like in any mmo timing is everything. The better you time and manage your resources the more effective you will be.

yea fatalities I miss a lot... I actually wish they went more survival horror combat style personally. Ever played alan wake? combat where there is more of a sense of danger in every fight... oh well I like the skill wheel and enjoy it enough for now.

Yeah the skill wheel is the high point of TSW - pretty much most of my excitment, Alan wake - hell yeah, that style of combat in TSW - that would be epic.

Yeah the skill wheel is the high point of TSW - pretty much most of my excitment, Alan wake - hell yeah, that style of combat in TSW - that would be epic.

Some fatalities would be nice, though the slowmotion animations style in aoc may not be the best option.

But it shouldnt even be too complicated to add a few death animations into characters. A decap or a body cut in half in the final blow when the killing blow comes from a slash weapon for instance would make the game.. more interesting.

Some fatalities would be nice, though the slowmotion animations style in aoc may not be the best option.

But it shouldnt even be too complicated to add a few death animations into characters. A decap or a body cut in half in the final blow when the killing blow comes from a slash weapon for instance would make the game.. more interesting.

if they used a system that felt more like alan wake or some form of that fatalities would fit right in:) but yea agree just couple finish them animations would be nice hell even SWTOR had a few

if they used a system that felt more like alan wake or some form of that fatalities would fit right in:) but yea agree just couple finish them animations would be nice hell even SWTOR had a few

And it shouldnt even be that hard to make some minor adjustments, this screenshot is from me using claw-chaos, by adding a giant hole in the chest and a slow body fall back effect it would get the fatality effect.

Btw.. that wasnt a killing blow.. mob was around 50% but it still shows how little there needs to be added or changed to make even the current animations fatalities. I could probebly photoshop a hole being blown into the body myself lol.

Just imagen half his back being blown out yourself for a sec.

• ariestearieste toronto, ONPosts: 3,308Member Common

First of all, i totally agree with most criticism of TSW combat.  definitely spamtastic.

I do find it rather ironic that at least some of the critics complain about the combat making you hit one button, while at the same time mentioning that they macro their CAs to one button so that even if the game didn't FORCE them to only use one button, they still would.  lol.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2
    Currently Playing: EQ2, Firefall

And it shouldnt even be that hard to make some minor adjustments, this screenshot is from me using claw-chaos, by adding a giant hole in the chest and a slow body fall back effect it would get the fatality effect.

Btw.. that wasnt a killing blow.. mob was around 50% but it still shows how little there needs to be added or changed to make even the current animations fatalities. I could probebly photoshop a hole being blown into the body myself lol.

Just imagen half his back being blown out yourself for a sec.

Great screenshot - and yes I agree with you 100% - I mean look at it, it's all setup right there - just a bit more work and man, it would be WAY better.

Originally posted by arieste

First of all, i totally agree with most criticism of TSW combat.  definitely spamtastic.

I do find it rather ironic that at least some of the critics complain about the combat making you hit one button, while at the same time mentioning that they macro their CAs to one button so that even if the game didn't FORCE them to only use one button, they still would.  lol.

LOL - well yeah - in case of TSW - you could even program in the circle-strafing if you wanted to - the only thing you need to avoid are the cones/targetted AE damage. 

I guess my point is how repetative the actual combat input is (yes I know majority of MMORPGs over the last 13 years are guilty of this)- might as well program it all in and save your fingers/hands - carpal tunnel is PAINFUL and the surgery is expensive (recovery sucks too).

If the system had more interaction (like sometimes a shot crippling the foe to one, knee - where you can move in and execute a 2nd move, which might open them up to a fatality - you know something more than mash, mash mash mash finisher ..repeat)

Interactive combat cannot be macroed, spammy repetative combat can (and it should frankly - save your hands)

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade PHILADELPHIA, PAPosts: 275Member

1. The key spam factor

Join the Military if you want real world combat, maybe you could say hello to my Husband in Afghanistan for me since I have not seen him for 13 months and tell him that you need more hardcore combat in video games see what response you get lol

Originally posted by Saxonblade

Join the Military if you want real world combat, maybe you could say hello to my Husband in Afghanistan for me since I have not seen him for 13 months and tell him that you need more hardcore combat in video games see what response you get lol

Haha - well now I can tell you that most of the time what you do overseas is - waiting. Waiting for orders to come in, waiting for X, Y Z .. combat is something that a very small % of our military actually ever experiences (and that's a good thing - I am glad this is the case).  

FInding things to do while you're waiting - that's the hardest time about being deployed oversees, as most of the stuff you do is just busy work so that you don't go completely insane from WAITING for something to happen.

All that said - I am not a big fan of comparing real combat to this *pixel fightin* as that's what games really are - we're just moving pixels on screen. I've lost friends in combat so I don't really want to go there.

• ariestearieste toronto, ONPosts: 3,308Member Common

I hate that there are only 7 abilities and i hate the f***ing global cooldown system that seems to be the trend in recent MMOs, between those two factors - tons of spam.

that being said, i think the spam lessens in later decks.  For example, from what i'm planning to run, my actives will be:

1pt  ST builder

1pt  AE builder  that sometimes builds 2pts 

weap 1 consumer

weap 2 consumer

Ability or additional consumer

Ability 

Ability 

Do depending on how many resources i've built, i will not be spamming my build 5 times in a row and even when i do need to do 5 hits of builder, i'll probably be working in my other abilities in between.  Plus if you have  a double builder, it should be more efficient to hit a consumer after 2 builds.

I mean, this is all very theoretical, but that's the plan so far.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2
    Currently Playing: EQ2, Firefall

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade PHILADELPHIA, PAPosts: 275Member
    Originally posted by Saxonblade

Haha - well now I can tell you that most of the time what you do overseas is - waiting. Waiting for orders to come in, waiting for X, Y Z .. combat is something that a very small % of our military actually ever experiences (and that's a good thing - I am glad this is the case).  

FInding things to do while you're waiting - that's the hardest time about being deployed oversees, as most of the stuff you do is just busy work so that you don't go completely insane from WAITING for something to happen.

All that said - I am not a big fan of comparing real combat to this *pixel fightin* as that's what games really are - we're just moving pixels on screen. I've lost friends in combat so I don't really want to go there.

yeah his 3 purple hearts were from waiting just saying, he spends 5/7 days a week in the field, while I do get the hurry up and wait game as I have seen it happen, unfortunately he is in a combat unit and does not wait much.

That said which is very much off topic, I do understand what you are trying to say but I don't agree 100% afterall it is a game meant to be enjoyed my the masses not a select few. Most games you do the same, I played a Rogue in wow and for years it was SS times envis keep SnD up not a hard rotation. Same with Rift spam a few abilities and you are golden, here I found it to be a bit refreshing and there are passives that do grant extra builder points so there is a bit more though process,not much but a little more for me.

• steveys19steveys19 Doylestown, PAPosts: 11Member

I think the combat would be enjoyable if you could equip multiple "decks" at the same time and be able to swap through them on the fly.  You can obtain a large variety of skills, but when you finally select what you want, it is somewhat limited (active/passive).  That's the feeling I had anyways...

• tarestares York, PAPosts: 381Member
    Originally posted by rpgalon

Is there much difference from one build to the next? no

You are going to get a single target builder, you are going to get a single target spender for one weapon, you are going to get some AoE, either builder or spender.  You are going to get a secondary weapon spender, which may be the AoE.

So you have 3-4 free slots.  You are going to get some type of CC likely a stun.  You are also going to get a gap closer if melee or a snare if ranged.  All on long cooldown > 30 seconds.

You have one or zero more abilities and I always get a 100 damage heal, it may take 40 casts to heal up but since AI is bad you can kite around spamming it on many mobs.

After all of that most builds play the same.  I can kill 99% of content, with two buttons, most of the quests are go kill 10 mobs so I face roll those tiers with two buttons.

After that, melee weapons are very boring compared to say world of warcraft, ranged weapons are a bit better.  However, combat AI and gameplay feels like a 13 year old game, everquest.  The mobs clump up and a the ranged run off and after that it is based on your stats more than anything else, while having the little animation of the NPCs.  I can't tell what the MoBs are doing half the time and only need to move when there is a white marker on the ground.

For years we joked about class balance, to make every class balanced they would need to be the same and this is as close as you can get to that. Swapping one synergy to the next, one weapon to the next, one build to the next my killing power is + or - 15% at max.  I noticed this when swaped builds today and didn't pick up any passives.