Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should of been planned F2P

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by WildNature
    Originally posted by lizardbones

This game is not a 'subscribe' for me. It would be a buy the box to play, certainly, but not buy the box and a subscription. It might even be a get the game client free and then subscribe, but not both.

Because you just can't afford more? Or don't want to see your precious money dribble away?

i can afford sub games and i dont do it because i not accept subscriptions. I buy a game and i expect to play forever for free and buy expansions, not gametime. I have bought all the latest sub based mmos and i dont pay subs for them. I bought them like a single player game (with online features) to play for the first month which is free. The only one i have paid like 4 months of sub was WoW, 4 months of sub in one year and a half. Nothing more. I want TSW as F2P but if i buy the box i will only play the free month, once again.

Dont assume that people cant afford subs. Some people just dont support that greed

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Panthien
    Originally posted by Anthara

I don't understand  why Funcom start the development of a new game instead of finishing/fixing AoC.

quite simple, they wont stop working on it, they wont stop fixing and they wont stop developing on it in the near future.

But its safe to say, Aoc has peaked and over time it will make less and less money.

A new product will have a better chance to make money. 

Also don't understand why people still buy games from companys with the record of releasing "unfinished" products.

Im trying to think of a finished mmo.. I cant think of ANY mmo that was "finished"at release.

Even worse.... life time subs and people buy.

I believe its only our fault if we keep getting this silly MMO's and get cheated... again, and again.

Many players get more time played out of a mmo then a single/multiplayer game, even before they actually start paying a sub, I dont feel cheated about that at all.

WAR was finished upon release. Then they catered to the people on the forums (first  no-no) and it all went to hell from there.

You still see them tweeting sometimes "we should have never opened up those forums."

WAR as in warhammer? You are joking right?

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

I don't understand  why Funcom start the development of a new game instead of finishing/fixing AoC.

Also don't understand why people still buy games from companys with the record of releasing "unfinished" products.

I believe its only our fault if we keep getting this silly MMO's and get cheated... again, and again.

Thanks guys! :P

Heh alot of people are still waiting for things in AO that were promised before AoC even launched.......

• Mage_FrancisMage_Francis Member Posts: 53

I don't think most people understand why AoC had such a horrible launch.  The government would not allow the dev's to come back to work for a month because of a Norweigan law requiring them to take 1 month off right after launch.  So all the problems the game went through the first month could not be addressed and ultimately put the company in a state of  constant catch up for awhile.  This game will go the route of all Funcom games eventually: f2p but with the option of paying a sub for more features and access to additinoal content. 

• AntharaAnthara Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Blacknd

Entirely different dev teams.

- Same guys injecting the money to the development and same guys deciding if they make a new one or work on AoC.

I'm buying this particular game because I tried it first and found it more than satisfactory.

- Now... that's pretty much valid.

See my above message, some people determined they would play the game long enough to justify paying for a lifetime sub.

- I personally didnt asked my wife to marry me before I met her.

By "this silly MMO's" I assume you mean clones. This isn't one.

- My fault here for using the word "...this...".  It might actually end beeing a great game. And that would be awsome. But please, let's stop using the term clone, since its a genre and all are suposed to be clones till someone  do  some inovations or "twists" to the existing formula. And that doesn't mean  it will be the new real deal. Anyway... good luck with the bucks. 

Thanks guys! :P

quite simple, they wont stop working on it, they wont stop fixing and they wont stop developing on it in the near future.

But its safe to say, Aoc has peaked and over time it will make less and less money.

Im trying to think of a finished mmo.. I cant think of ANY mmo that was "finished"at release.

Many players get more time played out of a mmo then a single/multiplayer game, even before they actually start paying a sub, I dont feel cheated about that at all.

WAR was finished upon release. Then they catered to the people on the forums (first  no-no) and it all went to hell from there.

You still see them tweeting sometimes "we should have never opened up those forums."

This is a joke right?  Did you play war at launch?  No mmo is ever released "finiched".  That's just the nature of the beast.

• AntharaAnthara Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Mage_Francis

This is a joke right?  Did you play war at launch?  No mmo is ever released "finiched".  That's just the nature of the beast.

That's why I wrote " "

MMO's are never  finished, but the announced features should be there at launch... and working.

I wish all the games had only server connections problems at launch instead of bad coding and missed content/features.

Hardware can be fixed, optimized, etc...  Software is going to be a very diferent nature of a beast.

Lets all hope people who buys TSW will love the game. I just wish "we" didn't fell in love so easy with the first blonde chick that blink her eye at us.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

That's why I wrote " "

MMO's are never  finished, but the announced features should be there at launch... and working.

I wish all the games had only server connections problems at launch instead of bad coding and missed content/features.

Hardware can be fixed, optimized, etc...  Software is going to be a very diferent nature of a beast.

Lets all hope people who buys TSW will love the game. I just wish "we" didn't fell in love so easy with the first blonde chick that blink her eye at us.

Yea.. there needs to be a distinction here between the term 'finished' and the term 'feature complete'. No MMO releases 'finished', because the idea is that it's open ended and will expand over time. It's deliberately not finished, so they can expand upon it later.

That said, when people think of an MMO releasing as 'finished' they generally mean 'feature complete'. As in, the MMO released with all the features promised, and working as intended. There are actually a few MMOs that have done this, and more still that look like they will be doing this in the near future. AoC isn't one of them. That said (afaik) TSW has what it promised, if clunky and bug ridden.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by hazed819

This game should of been a planned free 2 play. AoC has made a killing going F2P

wut?

They did have big influx of players at beggining right after transition (which is normal and expected especially for such high-profile fairly new game like AoC).

They totally lost most of those, AoC is dying again and population is dropping fast.  They are not so far away from before F2P popualtion levels and now some of players don't pay nothing.

Also Funcom quarterly reports 'tell' about AoC revenues dropping (after initial rise) and they predict further drop.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

People are confusing "finished for release" with "continued development." MMOs usually have a list of features that are planed to be included at release. If those features are all implemented and are working properly with minimal bugs and other issues then the MMO is released "finished."

You can't excuse a broken MMO that released without planned features with "no MMO is truly finished." It's not what that phrase means. That phrase simply states that MMOs undergo continued development after release.

• WildNatureWildNature Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by heartless

People are confusing "finished for release" with "continued development." MMOs usually have a list of features that are planed to be included at release. If those features are all implemented and are working properly with minimal bugs and other issues then the MMO is released "finished."

You can't excuse a broken MMO that released without planned features with "no MMO is truly finished." It's not what that phrase means. That phrase simply states that MMOs undergo continued development after release.

You seem to think the world owes you something...or something. You're gonna get what is handed to you...at the end of the day.

* Good, honorable, gamers will continue to pay the bills so freeloaders can enjoy the game.
    * Sandboxers and Carebears are 2 sides to the same coin.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I only made it to should "of" been planned and then "viola!" in the 4th post... Did it get better after that? Did I miss anything?  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by aesperus

That's why I wrote " "

Yea.. there needs to be a distinction here between the term 'finished' and the term 'feature complete'. No MMO releases 'finished', because the idea is that it's open ended and will expand over time. It's deliberately not finished, so they can expand upon it later.

That said, when people think of an MMO releasing as 'finished' they generally mean 'feature complete'. As in, the MMO released with all the features promised, and working as intended. There are actually a few MMOs that have done this, and more still that look like they will be doing this in the near future. AoC isn't one of them. That said (afaik) TSW has what it promised, if clunky and bug ridden.

You know, mmo's will always have missing and/or broken features and Im not even talking about the ones that require simple tweaks.  I thnk its wrong, but unfortuantely its true.

A feature.. working again is a very loose term, sure technically speaking the hunter class worked in WoW but the class it selve was completely disfunctional till the 1.7 patch.

Sure Aoc had crafting, it was useless but hey it was there.

The above are ofcourse just 2 simple excamples of a huge list.. of any game.

Then ofcourse there is another animal out there, the features they never promised but people THINK should be in the game.

And last but certainly not least the people who take a answer like  "we'll look into it"as a promise of a feature to actually being added.

Now who knows if or when TSW (or any mmo for that matter) is going to go f2p, Ill play my games till I get bored wth them now. To me waiting for X to go F2p is like sitting by the dumpster outside Mc donalds, sure if you wait long enough you'll get that hamburger for free, I rather have it warm and fresh.

Originally posted by heartless

Ironic enough, it did get a certain mmo to become THE largest and most successfull of them all doing that..

That's why I wrote " "

I guess I misunderstood.  My apologies.  I would have to agree with your last comment.  I've stopped letting myself get to excited for mmo's anymore, but I do celebrate the innovations developers make even if I don't personally care for them.  I feel a lot of people on these forums take any chance to revel in a games short comings or failures.  Kinda sad...

• zyklonianzyklonian Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Let's take a look at your Lifetime Sub that cost you $200, which roughly equated to 20 months or less of the normal subscription rate. LOTRO launched in April 2007 and it went F2P in June 2010 which means you still got a free year out of it. Not to mention, you are considered VIP which means you still have access to all content plus you get 400 TP a month. If you feel robbed, then I'm suprised you play any MMOs at all.

sub is $15 a month  so you only need to play 14 months to make your moneys worth.. but honestly how the MMO market has gone even 14 months in one game is pushing it for many.

Well, I agree, gaming companies are pushing out a lot more worthless crap now than they did 10 years ago. However, despite only coming out 5 years ago, I think LOTRO is hands down one of the best MMO's to hit the market.

lay off the pipe weed lol. it was awsome up untill mirk relesed now its all pay to win with broken mechanics 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Ummm, I want to play the game now.  I really don't care if you save cash by waiting the 6 months it takes to go FTP (likely longer).  What the hell else is out right now that you would pay a sub for?  With the MMO landscape so barren they are smart to charge a sub until something worth a crap is released.

Just glanced through the thread...what are you people even arguing about?  To what degree is this MMO done or not done?  The dissapointed people have set their expectations WAY too high.  Have you all played a Themepark MMO over the past couple years?  My expectations are now lowered and I'm happy to throw down the cash for this game based on the setting alone. This is not a play it for 3 years MMO, but it's likely interesting enough to play it for 4 months.

We should all be arguing about game developers not giving us any freedom...at all.  At least this game attempts to give the illusion of freedom of class choice.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Should have been "Should have been planned F2P".

:Eng101:

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by hazed819

This game should of been a planned free 2 play.

They knew full well, years ago, that they were gonna go that route. The cosmetics shop is proof-positive.

They are just taking advantage of box price + subs for the year or so that it's at all worth doing - like EVERY other triple-A company atm. I don't agree with it, whatsoever, but it's is "pretty sneaky, sis"... so I kinda respect that business acumen behind it... but I'll be waiting for the box prices to inevitably drop to 10$ 6 months from now, and then for the sub price to drop and full reliance on the CS.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by DMKano

The minute it goes F2P is the minute I've lost all respect for Funcom.

Every single online game will be going to F2P model within 3 years - this is where the entire industry is shifting to. This is inevitable.

Just how the days of video-rental stores are numbered, same goes for monthly sub online games - it's over.

Every business model shows that F2P + microtrans is a more profitable model - and that's what it comes down to - profitability for every MMO game company.

I agree all are going FTP, so people throwing FTP around like it's an insult are off track.  I honestly don't see how companies make money going FTP as I've played many games and had some fun without touching a cash shop.  I've actually never spent a cent in a cash shop.  People that throw down cash on cosmetic trash make absolutely no sense to me.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Should have been "Should have been planned F2P".

:Eng101:

I was almost willing to overlook the bad grammar--which made a silly post look even siollier--but then one the responses (#4 in this thread) was even funnier... "Viola!" image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Yaaay another I wanna play this game but I am too poor/cheap to spend out money for it.F2P converts may work but what most  ppl don't wanna admit is the ones who buy and support cash shops even then are the subscibers to the game not the  crybabies who want F2P they rarely buy anything ever instead they make game chat a flame/tard fest and spam the forums whining how more stuff should be free also they bring nothing other than population numbers to the game they sure do not bring any money in atleast not enough to justify letting them come onto the server and hog resources.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539
    Originally posted by Mardukk

Every single online game will be going to F2P model within 3 years - this is where the entire industry is shifting to. This is inevitable.

Just how the days of video-rental stores are numbered, same goes for monthly sub online games - it's over.

Every business model shows that F2P + microtrans is a more profitable model - and that's what it comes down to - profitability for every MMO game company.

I agree all are going FTP, so people throwing FTP around like it's an insult are off track.  I honestly don't see how companies make money going FTP as I've played many games and had some fun without touching a cash shop.  I've actually never spent a cent in a cash shop.  People that throw down cash on cosmetic trash make absolutely no sense to me.

Atleast your honey and a big reason why most games should not bother with a F2P model is 90% of freeloaders are NEVER gonna spend a cent to begin with so why let em suck up your resources.Just expand your cash shop in your sub game and chances are you will make just as much from it off the subbers of the game as they are they ones who will always buy from cash shops to begin with.

Originally posted by Mardukk

I gave it some thought and I really think its not so much people thinking it should have been planned to be released as F2P or B2p, I think its people wanting it to be released as F2P or B2P.

Heck the tittle of the thread probebly should have been "Want TSW to be released F2P"

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159

Well i dont see TSW going ftp for at least 2 to 3 years . Just like AOC did and i did get a lifetime sub and think its well worth ever penny.