Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should of been planned F2P

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

It is simply amazing that people would pay for required content in a store, has no one else played LOTRO and games like it where you can't even spend time with people you know even new people because A: you aren't subbing and B: you didn't buy a certain region that just happens to have a dungeon required for end game? seriously.

required DLC's are not a good idea in any game system, especially MMO's because you will drop people quick. Unless those people just happen to be stupid and not good with their money. (6 million sales for 12 hours of content anyone?)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Blacknd
    Originally posted by rojo6934

It is planned F2P, Thats why they are charging money for every breath you take. When it fails they just remove sub and box price then VIOLA!!!! the game becomes well populated and they earn more money as f2p.

When it fails.

The MMORPG community is all doom and gloom, isn't it? Everyone has their own agenda, I guess.

Charging money for:

Slots beyond 3. Not a new practice (See FFXI)

Pre-Launch name reservations beyond one. The fact that one is already provided is more than most do these days.

and Various "Upgrade Packs" starting in cosmetic and early-game (QL1-3) gear and culminating in a lifetime sub.

It's launching with a clothing store.

The wonderful thing about all of this? It's optional.

i think you quoted the wrong post.... i support all that option things you mentioned. I love cash shops that dont pay to win. And most importantly, im waiting for TSW to go taht route so i can play in peace. Im not paying a sub.

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331
    Originally posted by hazed819

This game should of been a planned free 2 play. AoC has made a killing going F2P and if they would of continued to slip out content (MINIGAMES) They probably would still be making money. Now they release this with GW2 (which is F2P) right around the corner, its silly. They could of locked some of the 9 weapon types and sold them in a cash shop. Apperance can be appealing in this game that could of been a cash shop hot item. They dropped the ball here and although once again Funcom will make out like a bandit at launch, I feel bad for those that dropped big mponey for lifetime subs and subs for year etc etc and when it goes F2P (which it will numbers dont lie)  you will end up getting shafted just like they did to those VET players on AOC. I played the beta and thought it was awesome and innovative but definately not worth a 10 dollar + sub. 

You're entitled to your opinion. Many people are willing to pay a subscription. Enjoy whatever other game you'll be playing.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

This game really does have an F2P feel to it with all the instancing and linearity as if it were built to go F2P at some point..

Funcom/EA obviously felt they could make more money by milking the cow dry first before going freemium..

But i think as GW2 and even PS2 will prove the milk em dry first choice wasnt the right one for this particular game...

Playing GW2..

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yeah I wouldn't play if it was f2p. Heck I just found out planet side 2 is f2p. I'll probably download it and play it to the moment I have to buy something. I remember getting a muck bane in DDO. I sold it for like 400k plat or something. I went to my mailbox to collect and got a message reeling me this amount is over you f2p limit, upgrade you package. That was the last time I played DDO.

Idk it's a real immersion breaker for me...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WildNatureWildNature Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by dageeza

This game really does have an F2P feel to it with all the instancing and linearity as if it were built to go F2P at some point..

Funcom/EA obviously felt they could make more money by milking the cow dry first before going freemium..

But i think as GW2 and even PS2 will prove the greed first choice wasnt the right one...

I can't wait until the scrolls get added back into GW2 cash shop. :) I'll be a happy little camper.

* Good, honorable, gamers will continue to pay the bills so freeloaders can enjoy the game.
    * Sandboxers and Carebears are 2 sides to the same coin.

Originally posted by bcbully
    Yeah I wouldn't play if it was f2p. Heck I just found out planet side 2 is f2p. I'll probably download it and play it to the moment I have to buy something. I remember getting a muck bane in DDO. I sold it for like 400k plat or something. I went to my mailbox to collect and got a message reeling me this amount is over you f2p limit, upgrade you package. That was the last time I played DDO.

Idk it's a real immersion breaker for me...

Yea that's the only way I play F2P's as well. To game hop waiting on something fresh and new.

I'm waiting on release of Early Acess for TSW. :) Otherwise I'd be playing it this very minute. I just entered the Egyptian zone so I want to save it for live. ;-)

* Good, honorable, gamers will continue to pay the bills so freeloaders can enjoy the game.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    Originally posted by itgrowls

It is simply amazing that people would pay for required content in a store, has no one else played LOTRO and games like it where you can't even spend time with people you know even new people because A: you aren't subbing and B: you didn't buy a certain region that just happens to have a dungeon required for end game? seriously.

required DLC's are not a good idea in any game system, especially MMO's because you will drop people quick. Unless those people just happen to be stupid and not good with their money. (6 million sales for 12 hours of content anyone?)

I don't see where people are coming up with this LOTRO is a ripoff logic. If you really, honestly, sat down and thought about it for more than 3 seconds, you'ld realize you are wrong.

WoW costs $15 a month to even play the game. LOTRO costs $0 a month to play the game up to level 75 which is the current max level. WoW still sells expansions as does LOTRO for content. LOTRO sells quest packs in their store for ease of leveling. Average cost of said DLC regional content, about $5-7. Of course, once you've purchased said DLC, its yours forever. Unlike WoW and every other subbed game where you HAVE to pay $15 a month to play the game at all.

As for LOTRO, theres probably about 10-15 regional DLC quest packs, which equates to about 8-10 months of WoW subs. Gee, I wonder which one is a better offer. Not to mention, you only really need about 3-5 of the quest packs.

The Life-time subs me being one of them were not to pleased when LOTR went free to play and i quit playing it.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Technically they need to release P2P so they can take advantage of us impulse shoppers.

I can pretty much promise this will be F2P very quickly so they can piss off the lifetime sub buyers.

Oh and I will make you a promise due to their wording on the lifetime subscription deal, I am pretty sure there will be a ton of lawsuits filed soon as they go F2P. Lately gamers have actually learned they can file and win against these corporate lawyer types.

• Delfa111Delfa111 Member UncommonPosts: 3

Respect for Funcom ??? LOL

Originally posted by Sorrow

Technically they need to release P2P so they can take advantage of us impulse shoppers.

I can pretty much promise this will be F2P very quickly so they can piss off the lifetime sub buyers.

You are very wise Grass-Hopper. Funcom is grabing as much money as they can then F2p, cash shops already set up. Life Subs go under the bus.

MAGA

I think everyone will be amazed when people will be transferring their wow subscriptions over to this game and they won't actually in fact go F2P. Look at WoW's own personal server forums. They are all abuzz about "The Secret" and TSW and other spelling combinations. Entire guilds are leaving WoW finally.

Originally posted by WildNature

I think everyone will be amazed when people will be transferring their wow subscriptions over to this game and they won't actually in fact go F2P. Look at WoW's own personal server forums. They are all abuzz about "The Secret" and TSW and other spelling combinations. Entire guilds are leaving WoW finally.

Now Soilder you don't believe that nonsense, really ?

MAGA
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This game is not a 'subscribe' for me. It would be a buy the box to play, certainly, but not buy the box and a subscription. It might even be a get the game client free and then subscribe, but not both.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Elsabolts
    Originally posted by WildNature

Now Soilder you don't believe that nonsense, really ?

I can hope and pray. :)

Originally posted by lizardbones

This game is not a 'subscribe' for me. It would be a buy the box to play, certainly, but not buy the box and a subscription. It might even be a get the game client free and then subscribe, but not both.

Because you just can't afford more? Or don't want to see your precious money dribble away?

• ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118

I prefer a sub, i mainly join the game to find (i hope) a better and more mature community, sub is great filter period

Originally posted by Forgefeu

I prefer a sub, i mainly join the game to find (i hope) a better and more mature community, sub is great filter period

Good point on it being a filter.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Let's take a look at your Lifetime Sub that cost you $200, which roughly equated to 20 months or less of the normal subscription rate. LOTRO launched in April 2007 and it went F2P in June 2010 which means you still got a free year out of it. Not to mention, you are considered VIP which means you still have access to all content plus you get 400 TP a month. If you feel robbed, then I'm suprised you play any MMOs at all.

sub is $15 a month  so you only need to play 14 months to make your moneys worth.. but honestly how the MMO market has gone even 14 months in one game is pushing it for many.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AntharaAnthara Member Posts: 75

I don't understand  why Funcom start the development of a new game instead of finishing/fixing AoC.

Also don't understand why people still buy games from companys with the record of releasing "unfinished" products.

Even worse.... life time subs and people buy.

I believe its only our fault if we keep getting this silly MMO's and get cheated... again, and again.

Thanks guys! :P

Originally posted by Anthara

I don't understand  why Funcom start the development of a new game instead of finishing/fixing AoC.

Also don't understand why people still buy games from companys with the record of releasing "unfinished" products.

I believe its only our fault if we keep getting this silly MMO's and get cheated... again, and again.

Bingo, You and Funcom have figured it out !

MAGA
  • BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Entirely different dev teams.

I'm buying this particular game because I tried it first and found it more than satisfactory.

See my above message, some people determined they would play the game long enough to justify paying for a lifetime sub.

By "this silly MMO's" I assume you mean clones. This isn't one.

.. But in a good way.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

i dont know how can someone buy a lifetime sub to a game develop by Funcom. the past history from this company should be enought to people be caution about Funcom promises. 

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

quite simple, they wont stop working on it, they wont stop fixing and they wont stop developing on it in the near future.

But its safe to say, Aoc has peaked and over time it will make less and less money.

A new product will have a better chance to make money. 

Im trying to think of a finished mmo.. I cant think of ANY mmo that was "finished"at release.

Many players get more time played out of a mmo then a single/multiplayer game, even before they actually start paying a sub, I dont feel cheated about that at all.

Originally posted by Panthien

quite simple, they wont stop working on it, they wont stop fixing and they wont stop developing on it in the near future.

But its safe to say, Aoc has peaked and over time it will make less and less money.

A new product will have a better chance to make money. 

Im trying to think of a finished mmo.. I cant think of ANY mmo that was "finished"at release.

Many players get more time played out of a mmo then a single/multiplayer game, even before they actually start paying a sub, I dont feel cheated about that at all.

WAR was finished upon release. Then they catered to the people on the forums (first  no-no) and it all went to hell from there.

You still see them tweeting sometimes "we should have never opened up those forums."