Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How well exactly does the F2P conversion work for failed P2P games?

13»

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Vesavius

I wasn't going to touch on the damaging effect of game hoppers in MMORPGs and their lack of commitment, but is that really the shape we want to future to take?

There is no "we". I certainly don't see a problem. I hop from games to games. Is there a reason not to? If i see 5 games i think is fun, why shouldn't i try all of them out? If they are indeed fun, why shouldn't i play all 5 from time to time?

I am certainly being entertained by this model.

Yours is a very self centred perspective. I am discussing the genre as a wider whole.

I think your chosen apporach to these games, being super casual in numerous games and not investing in any, is actually bad for the genre, yes.

I think the cash shop model encourages this style of play and probably has a lot to do with why the communities in most games has gone down the toilet. I personally do not think it's a good direction for games that I consider are at their best when built around communities and interdependence.

This is just my PoV though, and really off topic, so ofc have your response and then lets leave this particular discussion to another thread? It is an interesting one though.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

We all hear the hyperbole of success when a previously P2P game makes the change, and we all see the odd new server or two being thrown up, but...

Can someone tell me if any F2P has consistently been forced to add new servers post launch (on an ongoing basis) as they became ever more popular? Or have all the converted P2P games that have made the shift seen exactly the same player attrition that the saw under their old model? 

Does the shift to F2P give ongoing growth, or does it just allow the devs of failed mainstream games to make more money off a small player base?

That depends on if you are willing to take pay traps and place them someplace other than actual F2Ps.

If you want to include the pay traps that are LOTRO, EQ2, AoC....you will scew the numbers of the actual F2Ps like DDO.

DDO is making Turbine more than LOTRO and EQ2 together, perhaps as much as AoC thrown in.

If you hop on ANY of those 3 games and ask those paying to play the full version of the game or even look at their forums you will see that most people are NOT staying with the game and going pay trap did very little to increase the population. AoC is a prime example, Funcom was bragging months ago about how over 600k people created accounts since going pay trap yet you will never see their servers with more than 500 people on them...and there are what? 6 servers.

DDO however, has thousands of people playing at any given time...but it is also one of the FEW games that was P2P that created a good shop when going free.

Now compare that to games that were actually MADE free...Runes of Magic, Atlantica Online...those games are making far more than DDO and their playerbase is far higher than almost every P2P game ever made. RoM with over 5 million...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

Sarcasm? No... Honest questions and ideas in the interests of conversation.

But, anyhow, I agree... it was undoubedtly the right business decision, as in it makes more money from the same diminishing player base, but that's kind of what I am asking.

I guess what i am trying to say is that does F2P actually 'save' a game in the long term, or does it simply exist to wring more money out of (ultimately) the same size player base on the whole?

i doubt the F2P conversion just exist to wring more money out of the same size of playerbase. The game goes F2P when it loses paying customers and the game starts dying. After going F2P two things happen : 1) More people joing the game since they dont have to pay a dime just to play, that barrier is no more. And 2) F2P + more people gives a higher percent of more people buying in the cash shop. If the cash shop dont break the game and people like the game they will buy even minimal things to support their loved game. Most people dont have a problem with supporting a game that actually deserves to be supported, if they like it.

On the other hand, I understand what you said that maybe they are just making more money out of the same small playerbase? that happens with Pay to Win games. Players who dislike P2W leave the game for good, and the small playerbase that like to buy power spend more and more each time to try to be always on top.

As it has been said before, If a game developer is forced to convert to F2P to save the game or prolong its life cycle. A decent cash shop will most likely attract the people who loves the game and respect the company for not being a greedy rabid beast.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

I dont think the majority of players have a problem paying 15 bucks for something they want to have......Its when they are charged 15 bucks just to play the game for a month when some of them start to lose interest in the game.......Case in point, when I played f2p EQ and EQ2 I met alot of people that paid for silver accounts (5 bucks) and unlocked 1-2 classes and 1-2 races that they wanted........THe total financial commitment was about 20 bucks, but they got pretty much what they wanted..... IF both games had stayed p2p, they could have played one month for that amount and been done.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Theocritus

I dont think the majority of players have a problem paying 15 bucks for something they want to have......Its when they are charged 15 bucks just to play the game for a month when some of them start to lose interest in the game.......Case in point, when I played f2p EQ and EQ2 I met alot of people that paid for silver accounts (5 bucks) and unlocked 1-2 classes and 1-2 races that they wanted........THe total financial commitment was about 20 bucks, but they got pretty much what they wanted..... IF both games had stayed p2p, they could have played one month for that amount and been done.

+1 to this

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

The sub in fact dosen't seem to be a barrier at all when you consider the sub based games that have shown ongoing growth in the past, something that converted F2P games don't seem to be able to do.

You said this a coupel times in this thread, so I'm curious what you are basing that on. Could you link sources for this?

You need linked sources to accept that games like EQ, WoW, and Lineage 2 showed month on month increases in their population under the sub model for lengthy periods?

No, linked sources to your claim that F2P games failed to do that. Also, do you really not see that you had to go back a decade to find games that had that type of growth? Or that historically, the 'month on month' increases only happen for a few years before a gradual decline starts? There's what... a total of four subscription MMOs that ever bucked that trend. :)

Why do I need to link sources for that? I didn't make a statement of fact. I used the words 'don't seem', I have highlighted above for you.

In other words, I am putting it up as an uncertainty for discussion.

Hope that is clearer for you.

"Most (almost all) seem to see diminishing returns in terms of the player base in the long term, which is suprising seeing as they are giving the client away for free."

"The sub in fact dosen't seem to be a barrier at all when you consider the sub based games that have shown ongoing growth in the past, something that converted F2P games don't seem to be able to do."

"The fact that the vast majority of converted titles STILL cannot retain players says that maybe it wasn't the payment model that was the problem?"

If we want to pretend that you never stated it as fact, we can. Moving forward, what I'm asking is what data or information you are basing your assumption on? What is it that you are reading that leads you to feel they are failing or resulting in diminishing returns?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

The sub in fact dosen't seem to be a barrier at all when you consider the sub based games that have shown ongoing growth in the past, something that converted F2P games don't seem to be able to do.

You said this a coupel times in this thread, so I'm curious what you are basing that on. Could you link sources for this?

You need linked sources to accept that games like EQ, WoW, and Lineage 2 showed month on month increases in their population under the sub model for lengthy periods?

No, linked sources to your claim that F2P games failed to do that. Also, do you really not see that you had to go back a decade to find games that had that type of growth? Or that historically, the 'month on month' increases only happen for a few years before a gradual decline starts? There's what... a total of four subscription MMOs that ever bucked that trend. :)

Why do I need to link sources for that? I didn't make a statement of fact. I used the words 'don't seem', I have highlighted above for you.

In other words, I am putting it up as an uncertainty for discussion.

Hope that is clearer for you.

Perhaps then the question should be,

What makes it seem that way to you ?

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• LyvinsLyvins Member Posts: 70

F2P has helped some games sticking around longer and even helped the company to create more content ( look at lotro ) But !! F2P is a very tuff model to implant. For example Dc Universe has a really nice model played myself and i could do alot of things just for free. Because they  offer alot of free people tend to spend money on extra content. 

For example Lotro F2P  was like a relaunch the first 5 months i saw new people all over the place, felt like an invasion. The F2P model was implanted in a pretty good way. Turbine like some other companies have one issue and that is Greed, because of that they added so many things to the store that can create a unbalance in both pve and pvp that a part of the fun got taken away. Even lotro is a great game in many ways, i think the Store needs a revamp. 

I would say for most f2p games changing to this model has saved it, but the trick is to keep those new and the current players. As we all know some Mmo's / studios can do that, some can't. 

On a side note: i think F2P is a term used way to easy and to fast. Under free to play i understand games like Aion, Lineage2, these games to me are free to play because they offer the game, and give you the option to buy stuff wich doesn't create a unbalance or overcharges people.For example. Lotro, AoC , DcUniverse, for me are hybrib models.

I hope F2P games like lotro last for a another 5 years, even i don't like Turbine, => because of the Store, i do think they added some greate stuff. :)

• SilverminkSilvermink Member UncommonPosts: 289

Growth of F2P games has to be divided into 2 parts, games launched as B2P or F2P and P2P that switch do to a change in demographics. B2P and F2P launches do quite well, for a time at least.

P2P games are losing players, the servers they have are usually underpopulated so the influx of people has to replace lost (and future lost) players before a game requires additional servers. Also, older games that switch have hardware upgrades to servers and networks that can substantially increase server populations without adding more servers. I think the fact that there are very few server merges is a better sign that these games have new people replacing the leaving.